Part 1: Alone

약속 (Promise)

Part 1: Alone

It was the early 20th century, and the street was bustling with life; horse carriages rattling noisily, friendly conversation with neighbours on the street, kids squealing while playing chase. The sun was bright, and the birds were chirping loudly, singing happily unknown tunes that brought a smile to people's faces, young and old.
 
Laughter and chatter could be heard throughout the whole of the small town. However, amongst the hustle and bustle of the busy and joyous life there was a boy. A young teenager of the fresh age of seventeen, sat by the window, looking out into the crowded street.

He was silent; he made no movement, no sound; just stared longingly out the window. His left leg in a cast and his left arm in a starch cotton sling, a small distant smile playing on his lips as he observed the life beyond the glass.
 
He had been in an accident; A house fire to be exact. Some of the neighbourhood kids had thought it funny to set his house alight, thinking nobody was home. Well, no one should have been home, but it turned out the Kim family had discarded their prior engagements of visiting family outside of town for the weekend, and so had been devastatingly caught up in the flames, unbeknownst to them.

Help had come, the sparks being doused with bucketful after bucketful of water, and a number of men ran into the house to save the family. He was the only survivor, though; his mother and father's room had been completely blocked off by a burning plank of wood that had fallen away from the roof under the weakening foundation; their bodies were never recovered. His older sister had been located after the fire had been put out, body incinerated into an unrecognisable state somewhere beneath her bed.
 
He was alone now. All alone. They had found him huddled in the corner of the shower stall in the bathroom, severe burns up his left side, broken arm and leg from what could possibly have been a clumsy fall in his haste to retreat to the bathroom; they couldn't be sure, the boy couldn't remember it himself.
 
The boy heaved a sigh and turned away from the window. It was almost time, he thought to himself as he slowly stood up, careful not to put pressure on his broken leg.
 
Hobbling over to the bed before laying himself down, he wondered what he would live for now. He had lost his family, his house. Sure, he had his friends, but it seemed that Sungjong was always too busy helping his grandparents cultivate their crops, and Woohyun was much too occupied with juggling university and his part-time job to pay him a visit in the hospital. He didn't want to bother Howon and Sungyeol, he was sure the brothers were having a hard enough time tending to their sick mother, and Myungsoo had gone on a long journey to the faraway land of Spain after saving up all his money from since he was five.
 
No, Sunggyu didn't know what was left for him. He closed his eyes tight, trying to evade the tears that were bound to come, the stinging in the back of his eyes becoming harder to fight. He was alone, and he probably wouldn't be remembered if he were to disappear off the face of the earth. No, Kim Sunggyu wasn't important enough for anyone to remember him. That of course would be the sole reason that he had no visitors; not one. Right?
 
Sunggyu to his side when he heard the door to his room open, it was probably the nurse bringing in his medication as well as some afternoon tea. He decided he didn't need any of that, what would be the use when he would wither away all by himself anyhow?

He was pleasantly surprised when he heard a loud, “Gyu hyung!” and felt the bed shift under an unexpected weight.
 
Turning to look at the source of the cry, Sunggyu was met with a bright, gummy smile and a pair of crescent -almost missing- eyes. The boy quickly made himself comfortable on the edge of the bed, pulling his legs up only to cross them and lean forward with his elbows propped on his knees, the smile never leaving his face.

Sunggyu could remember him as Dongwoo, a year younger than himself. A Jang Dongwoo, if he was correct, and they had been introduced via Woohyun when they had crashed into eachother, quite literally, at the cafe Woohyun worked at. He recalled seeing him as few as three times after that, normally at the cafe, or perhaps on the street? Sunggyu couldn't recall, only remembered that loveable dinosaur-comparable face.

“Woohyunie told me that you were hurt and that no one could make it over here to visit you, so I came to keep you company!”

Sunggyu gave a bit of a frazzled look towards the younger, before the normal blank stare took over. He didn't show emotion, normally. Not after the accident. No, he was rather like ice; cold and distant.

“Oh, and you don't have to talk to me about what's wrong if you don't feel comfortable.” Dongwoo spoke, noticing the reluctant expression on the older's face, “We can talk about birds. I like birds! Especially the ones that-”

And Sunggyu zoned out as Dongwoo droned on, a smile making its way onto his normally emotionally-void face.
 
 
*****************
 
Typing up the next parts now, but ive gotta go and get some stuff done cause i'm going on a PICNIC in a few days <3 I havnt been on one for years ^.^;;;;