Three.. girl, it's plain to see.. you're the only one for me

Of crushes and public confessions..

 

Three..
girl, it's plain to see 
you're the only one for me


SNSD dorm

“Let’s go over it one last time, guys!” Taeyeon suggested with an apologetic look on her face.

A collective groan could be heard from her members who were lying around in varied states of exhaustion. Jessica- clinging on to the air conditioner, Sooyoung- chugging from a 2 litre water bottle, Tiffany and Sunny- slumped next to the window, Hyoyeon and Yuri- sprawled on the floor and the two maknaes- handing out clean towels to their unnies. 

One by one, they reluctantly stood up and gathered in the centre of their living room again.
“Ok, let’s do this. Five, Six, Seven, Eight,” Hyoyeon counted out. 

Finally, at 2:30 am they bid each other good night and dragged their aching bodies to bed.  

This had been their routine for the past few days. Hours of practicing at the company followed by more at home. There were three year end special Gayo shows to prepare for and that left little time for anything else.  

But Hyoyeon felt thankful for this stressful routine as she lay in bed. It gave her less time and energy to think of other things and people… like the one person that she still hadn’t gotten over. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyoyeon's POV - the next morning

“Unnie, we’re here,” Seohyun shook me awake as we pulled up in front of the hair salon.

I suddenly remembered the coffee flask I had left for Doojoon shhi. 
Oh my god! What if he never saw it! The coffee must be so gross now. Or what if he thinks I left him gross old coffee? Ah! Why am I always like this? I never think things through. It had seemed like a good idea at that time…. As I sat in there waiting for manager oppa to park the car, my imagination grew worse.

Seohyun looked over at me, “Are you okay, unnie?”

“Uh yeah, I just really have to pee,” I fibbed. Why is that my excuse for everything! So embarrassing!

“Ok everyone clear the way for Hyoyeonnie,” Fany laughed as we finally stopped.

I ran straight up to the roof. 
Thank god! I couldn’t see anything shiny in the spot where I left it. But as I went up closer, I saw something else. 

It was a bottle of orange juice. 

Orange juice for the orange sonyuh!
– Can Coffee namja.
(p.s I happen to like “cheesy” :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the hair salon:

“Doojoon hyung, where is your secret hideout? Take me with you too!” Dongwoon whined cutely as the boys entered the salon.

“I’ll tell you when you’re old enough,” Doojoon .
“What about me? I’m old enough,” Kikwang piped up. 
Doojoon stuck out his tongue, “As if you need more places to watch your special videos!”
“Yah!” the dancer pouted as the rest of the boys hi-fived their leader.

“Noona, text me when it’s my turn please,” Doojoon requested the hairdresser and took off for the roof. 

He was anxious to see if Hyoyeon had found his little present; 
And sure enough, it was gone.

A little pout appeared on his face as he searched for a note and found none but he cheered himself up thinking that at least she had accepted his gesture. 
...........................

Doojoon laid back against the bench with his eyes closed and a content smile on his face. 
It was oddly warm for a winter afternoon. 
The sun was out in full force; the sky clear and even the cold winds seemed to have taken the day off. 

I gotta a feeling, that today’s gonna be a good day, a good good day, he sang along to the music blasting through his headphones, slightly altering the lyrics. 

A shadow fell over his face and he popped one eye open to check the weather.

A mass of glossy chocolate brown hair greeted him and a smile much warmer and brighter than the sunshine.
“Nice song choice,” Hyoyeon commented. 

Doojoon sat up and offered her the space beside him, “Annyeong..?”*
“Annyeong, chingu-ya.” She confirmed grinning.

This was their first real meeting aside from the polite greetings exchanged at broadcast stations but somehow the conversation  flowed naturally. They talked about their schedules, the weather, food, music shows – anything they felt like.

Doojoon’s eyes crinkled up at the corners as he laughed at a story that she was telling; her speech blunders adding to the humor. He couldn’t believe that his ideal girl wasn’t just an ideal. Not only was she beautiful, talented and kind, she had a kickass sense of humor too.

He tried to control his expressions, scared that she would know just how amazing he thought she was. After all, he didn’t want to scare her away. 

To the left to the left, everything you own in a box to the left the ringtone of Hyoyeon’s cellphone interrupted the story.

She looked at the caller id – a slight frown appeared on her face. She shot him an apologetic look, “Umm, I have to take this. Sorry!”

She got up and walked a few feet away to the other side of the roof, “Oppa?” 

Doojoon examined the scuffs on his shoes as he tried not to overhear the conversation. But it wasn’t like he had a choice. The roof was pretty small.

“Yes, I’m doing fine. And you?... Wait, are you drunk? In the middle of the day?” her voice rose two pitches. “Oppa, if the managers find out, you’re going to be in trouble. Are you in your dorm right now?” 

Sensing that this was a conversation she’d want to have in private, Doojoon stood up and signaled goodbye.



Hyoyeon finally hung up the phone and  went over to the bench feeling guilty for ditching Doojoon so suddenly. 

She found a note,

If you need someone to talk to, call me at 010-123-4567. Anytime!
Can coffee chingu:)
 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Super Junior dorm

Eunhyuk leaned his throbbing head against the cool stainless steel counter in the dorm’s kitchen. He didn’t know what hurt more – his head or his heart. He had thought that hearing her voice would soothe his pain, but now he felt even worse. 

Guilt and self loathing piled up on top of his heartache as he recalled her voice laced with genuine worry asking, “Do you want me to come over..” she had stopped and hurriedly corrected herself, “I mean, call for kimchi jjigae delivery to your dorm?”

She still remembered his hangover cure. He let out a bitter laugh, “You're pathetic Lee Hyukjae. Getting drunk just to confirm that she cares about you. But it’s too late now.” 

It had been his decision. 

He was older than her so of course, it was his duty to protect her. He remembered the conversation he had with the CEO, “Hyukjae, I am not telling you what to do but just keep in mind that if Kim Hyoyeon gets a lot of antis then we might not be able to let her debut. And remember, she’s been training for as long as you have.”

He squeezed his eyes shut thinking back to that day. Her tears and pained cries were etched in his memory forever. 
“Oppa, you don’t really mean it right? You love me, I know you do!”
The delicate hands he loved so much grasping his tightly. Painstakingly, he pried them away.
“I’m sorry Hyoyeon ah. I think I didn’t know what love is when I said those words. We were just infatuated and too young to understand but it’s time to grow up.”
Her bottom lip quivered as she tried to blink back tears. He balled up his hands into fists resisting the urge to hold her in his arms and confess that it was all an act.
“I still care about you as a dongsaeng but I don’t think we can continue this relationship.” His palms were now starting to bleed from his nails digging into them.

She turned and ran. 
He didn’t follow. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, at the SNSD dorm:

Hyoyeon stared at the piece of paper in her hands and dialed the numbers in her phone. It was 1 am and they had just gotten home from their schedule. She had been wanting to apologize to Doojoon all day but there hadn’t been any time.

Just before it started ringing, she cancelled the call. He was probably sleeping. She decided to send a text instead.

Annyeong, this is Orange Sonyuh ^.^. Sorry for being rude earlier. I really enjoyed talking to you. Coffee again sometime? Not canned.  My treat!

A little yawn escaped her and she decided to get ready for bed. But just two minutes later, her cell phone buzzed signaling a text.

Coffee? The not canned kind? You’re going to regret it! I’m going to pick the most expensive coffee possibleㅎㅎ Finished your schedules?

"Of course, he wasn’t asleep," Hyoyeon muttered to herself. 

Idols didn’t sleep like normal people.


But the reply brought a smile to her face. He already felt like a familiar friend. She typed up a reply and went to wash up, taking her phone with her.

She hadn’t even made it across the living room when the response came.

...................................................................

“Umsfmsewad” Seohyun mumbled in her sleep.

Hyoyeon stopped all movement and looked over at the maknae’s bed. 

“akwk sdjsdja adsds” she mumbled again.

Hyoyeon checked her phone. It was 2:40 am. 

“Seohyunah, is the light bothering you?” She whispered. “Unnie’s sorry for disturbing your sleep. Good night.”
She switched off her bedside lamp and flipped open her phone once more.

Do you realize we’ve been texting for almost two hours? Think we broke the record for the longest first text-fest ever? ^.^

It definitely is for me ㅎ.ㅎ Is this your way of subtly saying good night? :P
Came the quick reply.

Hyoyeon giggled softly. 
Yah! If I wanted to say good night, I would just say good night. No beating around the bushes so….. good night :D

OTL I was only kidding. Don’t leave me ㅠ.ㅠ

So was Iㅋㅋ But really, we both have schedules in the morning so we should get some sleep. Sorry! I’m buying you coffee remember? Forgive?

Can’t! The coffee was already promised! But sing me a lullaby and maybe, I will forgive you for wanting to get rid of me Y.Y .....   ㅎㅎ

I can’t sing well ㅜ.ㅜ 

Of course you can! I heard you on the roof that day :)

;_;

Trust me, it was good. Your voice is very pretty..

Hyoyeon couldn’t help grinning widely at the unexpected compliment. No one had called her voice pretty before.

Hey, did you already fall asleep? Where’s my lullaby ^.^

But my roommate’s asleep.. ~_~ 

Fine! I’ll let you go this time but remember, you owe me a coffee and a lullaby :). Sweet dreams orange sonyuh!

Good night, Mr. can coffee.

................................................


Three weeks later:

Doojoon was pacing around the rooftop waiting for Hyoyeon. 

Glancing at the bench, he thought back on their first meeting. 
It was hard to believe that just a few weeks had passed. Coming to the salon early to hang out together and hushed conversations after their members had gone to sleep had now become a routine. 

Even on days with schedules they spent most of their breaks texting each other random jokes or funny things their members did. 


It felt very liberating to have this one private thing in their oh-so-public life. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doojoon’s POV.

I checked my watch anxiously. She was late. Again!

Putting down the coffee cups, I prepared myself. This time I wouldn’t let her sweet talk me into forgiving her. She always had an excuse and I always caved. I mean, who can resist those cute half moon eye smiles! 

But today, I must and I will win. Yoon Doojoon fighting! 

She dorkily crept in on her tiptoes, wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses, acting like a spy. I could feel the sides of my mouth start to turn up in automatic response.

“Annyeong Doonjoonie.” she jumped in front of me. 

I turned away. “You knew that I am going away for a week for Danbi recording and you are still late. I have to leave in 15 minutes.” 
I sounded petty even to myself but I couldn’t help it.
Why was I the only one sad about not being able to see her for a whole week?

“Sorry sorry sorry sorry,” she started dancing. 
“Forget it! I’m sorry I made you come all the way here. I have to leave now.”

“Yah!” she punched me on the arm. “You said you had 15 minutes and you’re saying you’re leaving now? Don’t be such a girl.”

She was shuffling around in her pink backpack.
“Here.” She held out something.
“What’s that?” I said, not looking.

“A care package, dummy!” she pouted. “This is the reason I was late. Do you know how difficult it is to choose stickers at Artbox? I mean, there are just so many choices- plain ones, glittery ones, cartoons. anim--

I gave her a big hug shutting her up. 
Usually I would just pinch her cheeks but seeing as I wouldn’t be seeing her for a week, I thought I’d take my chance.

“Yah! Don’t get all emotional on me now and didn’t you say you were late?” she scolded, her voice muffled.
“Nah! I have ten minutes.” I continued to hug her, grinning like a fool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks later, the two were back on the roof again.

Hyoyeon had her laptop open as Doojoon answered his manager’s phone call.

She looked at the news article on the screen with a wide grin.

As soon as Doojoon got off the phone, she squealed, “Yah! Guess who the nation’s new boyfriend is!”

“Huh?” he was used to her random outbursts but they still surprised him once in a while. 

“You!”

“I still don’t follow,” Doojoon scratched his head.

She pulled his hand and made him sit beside her. Then, she showed him the article talking about some of the most popular female celebrities calling him their ideal type, clapping in excitement.

“You, my friend, are the #1 searched on naver!” She pretended to hold up a mock microphone, “So tell me, Nation’s boyfriend and Ideal Man of Lee Hyori, Shin Sekyung and many others, how does it feel?”

“It’s such a great honor. I want to thank my parents and my group members..my company, hair stylitsts, co-dis, producers and a certain Orange Sonyuh who loves to punch me and keeps me entertained with her randomness.” he played along.

Once her laughter had died down, she looked up at him quizzically, “So, I can’t believe I’ve never asked you this before but who is your ideal type?”

Doojoon held her gaze, “You.”

Hyoyeon immediately threw her head back and laughed, slapping him repeatedly on the arm. “Nice evasion tactic, mister. If you don’t want to tell me, just say so!”

“Why? You don’t believe that I could have a crush on you?” Doojoon asked seriously.

“Come on now, Doojoonie! No one’s gonna buy that! If you want to make it believable, you have to go with Yoona or Taeyeon.”

“Yah Kim Hyoyeon. Have you been reading those anti websites again? I told you not to believe that crap! You’re beautiful, sweet, talented, funny, ama…”

Hyoyeon hugged his side, leaning her head on his shoulder. “You’re my friend so you’re supposed to say that but thanks anyway.” 

Doojoon put his arm around her shoulder with a sigh. 
Yes, he was still only a friend.

So much for a confession. 

.................

* Note:Amongst Koreans, it is important to speak formally to another person even if you are of the same age, until you both agree to drop the formalities. So when Doojoon asked “Annyeong?” he kind of meant “Is it okay to say Annyeong informally instead of Annyeonghaseyo i.e., can we be friends?”