Invention #042816 [Part I]

Ms. Independent

Hey, hey, I`m back! Umm, actually, this was meant to be posted last March, but it pushed through April-May instead because I haven`t finished it then. This actually is meant to be dedicated to all graduates recently, but right now...it`s dedicated to all of you.

Before I forget, do read the Must-Read A/N by the end of the chapter, PUH-LEASE! Do comment on your suggestions and thingamajigzters. Heehee. ;)))

Happy reading!

Oh, before I start the story, I’ll warm you up with a little summary:

As we all know, ever since their relationship started, they’ve been constantly seeking for each others company. Now that their graduation’s nearing though, would they still keep their relationship? I’m asking this, because a twist is coming up.

One week away from the graduation, Ella would be leaving for good. On the day of the graduation, Chun finds out that Ella’s parents has no clue about her on-going relationship with him, and so he was disappointed in her. He thought that being with her meant something and because she’s a daughter with parents, of course he indeed would expect for her to have told her parents whatever’s going on with her the months that they were away. The time he’ll know about her departure, she’s already left a day before. What’s there that’s left for us to find out is the question of whether or not they would see each other again. Or would they even part?

Ms. Independent Invention #042816 starts HERE:

--
Talking on the phone a week before the graduation starts, Chun was bound to sing Ella a song until he found out that he was asleep already.
--

“You sleeping already?” he asked upon the time she answered the phone, only answering a ‘hmm‘, signifying a yes and a no or somewhere in between, to be exact. “I couldn’t sleep. I guess I’m going insomnia tic due to the graduation next week.” And when no one seems to be replying, he asked, “Ellie, still there?”

“Yup,” she replied, pretending so that she was still up and about. “Just doing something,” …and is busy dozing myself to sleep, she wanted to say.

“Should I hang up?” he enquired, quite well used to her being busy every so often doing her inventions.

“No,” she said. ’This probably would be the last time I’ll be able to talk to you like this,’ she thought, after remembering so the talk she earlier had with her parents about leaving for good to settle in another country. “Sing me to sleep,” she requested then.

“For real?” he asked.

“For real, for real,” she replied and let out a yawn.

“O-okay,” he replied with a hint of exasperation, knowing pretty well that he wasn’t good at it. “But we both know that I’m not so good at it, so just bear with it…” and before he could do so, he heard light snores on the other line. “Ellie, you still up?” he made sure she was asleep even before he could completely hang up and when he didn’t hear a reply, he whispered, “Goodnight, then. Sweet dreams. I love you.”

--

[[She]]

Suddenly, I see Chun standing right in front of me as I entered school with anxiety written all over his face. Somehow, I knew exactly why he was wearing that expression and I need not ask. He looked at me as if he wouldn’t expect me to do something I just did. A mistake I’ve long regretted. I couldn’t change it, though. The fact about not telling my parents what Chun and I have going on. They practically didn’t know about our relationship. My soul wouldn’t let me tell it to them for some reason, and now… I’m purely completely regretting it taking into consideration that they‘re forcing me to live and settle with them in a foreign country. I know full well what consequence I’d go through if I do that and I if I let them control me. It means leaving behind the things I’ve been used to… It means leaving Chun…

“But I love you, you knew that!” he exclaimed, getting me quite shocked as I uncomfortably stared at the floor finding it amusing at the spur of the moment. “How could you do this to me? If only I knew that things would come down to this, then I should have kept my feelings intact. Moreover, kept my distance from you.”

“I—I don‘t know what you‘re talking about,” she bit her lower lip, trying to think optimistically. That he was just joking, making fun of her—anything. Anything that would drive her mind of the matter.

“I know already, Ella. Why do you still have to lie?“ he asked out of anger. “On your part, you shouldn’t have lead me on. You shouldn’t have practically tried to like me or love, if you even tried so, since it seems so that you know pretty well of what is to happen. Ella, you shouldn’t have…” his words trailed off, leaving me speechless. “Lastly, if this is how things are going to turn out, ‘good’bye.”

It hit me so. That last thing he said: ‘good’bye. I wondered so what’s so GOOD in a goodbye if you’re all the while meaning it as if you wouldn’t want to see the person you said it to, anymore than you have had. Oh, and sure, sometimes goodbye’s mean ‘see you later’, but in our case it’s: ‘never to see you’.

.
.
.
.
.

After a few moments of the nightmare, I finally realized that I was only dreaming. I looked around me and found so that I was still in class. The only difference was me sweating and that was it — a sad ending. The last thing on Earth I’d want to happen. Moreover, if we have to break up, it has to be me to initiate it. I have to be the one breaking up, not him.

As soon as I got back to my senses though, the whole class was looking at me as if I’m some drug-addicted person. They’re giving me too much attention… Oh, how I hate it!

“Could I go to the lavatory?” I blurted out.

“Thought you’d never ask,” Ms. Lin gladly replied. “Yes, of course, Ms. Chen,” and the only thing I did that for is for the class to stop talking about me. I’ve had enough from that nightmare, what else could I ask for? Dragging my feet out of the classroom, I saw Chun as I turned my head to the left.

“What’s the matter?” he enquired with his trademark flirtatious smirk exclusively for me.

“Nothing,” I replied, unconcerned.

“You look like you’ve been thinking of something deeply,” so he noticed.

“Well, don’t I always?” I asked.

“But this time I couldn’t read your mind,” he said. “Moreover, your hair‘s a mess. Did you just sleep in class?” Oh, how I wanted to lie, but I could only look at him in guilt so. “I’ll take that as a yes,” he continued on and I could only smirk.

“I was too tired,” I tried to explain.

“Yeah, doing your inventions again?” he asked, yet I could only look away, deciding against lying nor covering up for what was real. But thinking about it now, I’ve been making something very important for him, indeed. Only so that it isn’t as pleasant if you hear what it’s for. So, as to not make matters worst, I walked away without him holding back. I walked away without replying to what he just asked. Most especially… I walked away, not wanting to look back.

--

[[He]]

Checking the wall clock as I sat on our living room, I noticed that I got back home quarter to five. I shuffled my feet on the sofa, thinking what she’s been doing for these past few days to continuously ignore me with a troubled expression swiping off her usual poker face. She seemed distant these past few days, yet I couldn’t find the reason why. The last thing she informed me before getting all this emotional is the news about her parents returning home for graduation. I wonder so what her parents look like and how they treat her. Moreover, find out what’s behind the silent treatment these days. 

--

[[She]]

I walked in the living room back and forth uncomfortably. I didn’t know what to do now that thing’s have turned and flipped in the wrong way. A few days ago, my parents told me they were going back for graduation. A couple of days after, they informed me that after which (the graduation), we’d be moving in a foreign country for our out-of-the-country business and for me to marry to a wealthy family.

I didn’t need to marry into a wealthy family, that’s for sure. The only thing I wanted to but couldn’t is to tell my parents directly that I have a boyfriend. It sounded ridiculous. I’m sure they’d question me and ask when I started to learn and fall in love. Moreover, hanging out with boys. Not that I do, but my parents are busy bodies who don’t do nothing but business, so really, they’d act upon a matter that cannot be undone just because they didn’t know of the matter when it actually happened. As I said, they were busy bodies. Very, if I may stress.

I looked at my cell phone after a few minutes of plopping myself down the bean couch. I started thinking about the most insane happenings that could ever happen to someone who isn’t as lucky that’s me. I started biting my fingers unconsciously, thinking about the aftermath of whatever’s to happen. For example: Chun thinking I’m infidel. More examples: Chun thinking I lied, my parents taking me away from his side and the worst…Chun breaking up with me. I know details about my so-called not-so-little problem-oh isn’t that clear, but I don’t know how to clearly express it. Moreover, define the mixed feelings I’ve been feeling ever since the day my parents informed me of the migration and the arranged marriage.

And for Pete’s sake… who else does arranged marriages in the 21st century!?

--
After which meditating, Ella fell asleep in frustration on the living room couch.
--

[[He]]

Today was quite unusual. As I approached Ella after the graduation rehearsals, she wouldn’t even hear me out or turn around just to look at me and signal me to speak like she always would. I knew this kind of situation has happened, but this day in progress are giving me enough bad vibes about her giving me the silent treatment. I didn’t want to keep mum as I followed closely behind her back. She stopped every now and then. Maybe because she was hesitating or thinking twice so if she should look at and talk to me. I believe I hadn’t done nothing wrong and this thing going on is just making me insane. In a while or so, I began hearing muffled sounds making me think that she was crying at this point in time. So acting upon impulse, I walked a little less faster than she did and stood right in front of her until she bumped right at me and stopped dead on her tracks. I looked down at her and saw her head in a bow and I knew…I just knew that she was crying…the second time around since we‘ve been together.

I held her shoulders tightly, bringing her closer to my chest as she cried louder. I didn’t want to speak, I just wanted to feel just how she felt right now. Her hands were around my waists, tightly balled to fists, I could tell and I could tell that she was trying to think of fighting for something…something I probably still don’t know about. For a couple of minutes, she only kept on crying until I walked her with me to the bleachers and sat her down.

Better late than never, I asked, “What’s wrong?” Same goes for me tapping her back gently, but she wouldn’t answer nor speak up. I was getting a little impatient, creases forming on my forehead, waiting for her to say something. So I lifted her chin up and made her look at me, but she could only keep her eyes closed. I traced the dried up tears on her cheeks and at the corners of her eyes until my hands reached her full red lips. I came across thinking about the kisses we’ve shared, how she pouts, pleads, and so much more.

And really now, I knew I had to make her speak, so I said something to comfort her, “You know I love you.”

--

[[She]]

Right when the graduation rehearsals ended, I tried clearing my mind off the distress and frustration going through my mind. I walked lifelessly, not caring what direction I’m heading to. In times like this, I know Chun would comfort me and even bug me about the matter. And so he did follow me, but that doesn’t mean I’d actually turn around and talk to him because he’s one of the reasons why I’m feeling so down. It’s not that he hasn’t been a good boyfriend to me for these past few months, because he was. But rather, it’s because this problem I’m having as of the moment concerns him… a real lot.

And because my feelings were drowning me, I cried silently at first and made not-so-loud muffled sounds right after, trying to stable my breathing. After which, I knew I bumped something, or rather someone, so I quickly bowed my head down and cried a little more because I knew it was him and the least scenarios of me that I want him to witness is me crying.

I heard him ask me what was wrong, but I didn’t answer. He then lifted my chin up still with my eyes closed as he traced the paths my tears earlier slipped on, I suppose. After a few more minutes, he told me he loves me, and that was the time I told myself I needed to speak, so I opened my eyes and looked at him with eyes full of hurt, because I could still feel my eyes hurting a little bit because of all the crying.

“You shouldn’t say that,” I said.

“Of course I should,” he protested, looking at me in confusion. “I really mean it, Ella. If I hadn’t, then I would have not been here for you all time long.”

“But you wouldn’t be able to say that anymore after what happens after the graduation!” I exclaimed, as I stood up, thinking of running away. But before I could, he held my wrists and told me to look at him, but I could only bite my lower lip and look away.

“Whatever happens…” he began. “Whether I know of it or not and whether you’ve discussed this with me or not, I’d still say it constantly. And then again, whether or not you’re around, because that‘s how I feel.”

And I looked at him intently, his eyes now blurred with tears about to fall. I didn’t want to make him cry, really. I don’t even want to see him cry! No, not now.

“If you cry,” I warned, “You’ll never see me again.”

“Is that what would happen after the graduation?” he asked, blinking away the tears that were about to fall from his eyes in threat. “Why?”

“Chun,” I said, diverting the topic to another. “Just answer me this question…” My words trailed off, as I looked at him signaling me to continue what I was saying.

“Do you love me?”

“Do you think you need to ask that?” he reiterated in question.

“I’m asking you, why are you asking me back?”

“Didn’t I just say so earlier?” he asked, his jaws tightening as I noticed from this view I’m in. “Weren’t you listening?”

Silence.

“And now you couldn’t talk? Cat got your tongue? Could you tell me you love me too, then?” he questioned again and again, looking quite agitated as of now. “Do you know that you’ve been distant these couple of days? And I swear, Ella, I could make a list of your unusual behavior. I really don’t want to get mad, but I’m tired…”

He’s tired? I asked myself. Tired of what? Tired of me? I wanted to ask, but as the initiative to ask these questions out came, continuous tears poured from my eyes again. He wouldn’t even call me ‘Ellie’, proving so that he is not far away from the firing up stage and during these times, he almost always says things at impulse that really hurts… A LOT.

“I’m tired of always waiting for you to speak,” he continued. “I’m tired of always being the one waiting. I know trust and patience are needed in a relationship, but don’t you ever consider what I feel?” he asked, tears now spilling from his eyes. “Whenever I see you crying, whenever I see you as if you’re not yourself, whenever I see your eyes that are full of hurt, I feel it too!” He continued then much softer and slower, “And you just wouldn‘t share to me what you feel in that heart of yours.”

“S—”

“And if this is how things are going to be, Ella… I think it’s better if we give each other some space.”

Space. Space. Space.

--

[[She]]

Space.

If that’s how he wants it to be, fine!

Space.

Because he’s tired of waiting for me just as he’s said.

Space.

Even if it hurts me, damn it!

Space.

Could a word really mean so much to me? I don’t know, but HE really means a whole lot to me… more than he could ever imagine so…

Holding the farewell invention I was making for him, I felt teardrops falling from my eyes as it landed on the said thing. It’s invention #042816: ’Fancy Capsule’. It very much resembles a kaleidoscope tube, only that when you look at what it has to offer, you’d see various pictures and information of and about he and me—us. The pictures don’t pattern when you see through it, though. It’d only have one slide of a picture or info at a time. I looked at it for the last time then, noticing the little note I personally wanted to let him know at the very last time: ‘Aku benci kamu’ and certainly, it means the opposite thing of what I really wanted to say only that I wanted him to do some decoding as he does a run through on this thing the time he receives it. After which, seeing so that it was very much like a finished product already, I wrapped it like a bon bon and forced myself to sleep through all I’ve gone for the day.