Chapter I – The Encounter

Let Me Be The One

YUME’S POV

“Yume, Wake Up!! Do you want to be late on your first day in High School?” I heard a familiar voice yelling.

I rolled over, knowing that it was just my mom, and continued to sleep. Giving out a sigh of frustration, she continued her speech, “I’m leaving for work now. I paid the rent for your new dorm already and moved all your luggage there in advance. So you don’t need to worry about that at school. Just go straight to the dorm and you should be fine. Work hard! Better get me those straight As.”

“Bye,” I heard mom say as she walked out of our house, slamming the door behind her.

That was how I ended up miserably walking--n0, actually running to school on the first day of school. My house wasn’t too far from school, only a 20 minute walk. But the thing was— it was raining cats and dogs outside. What kind of weather was that? Furthermore, I’m moving into my dorm today, and mom didn’t even bother seeing me in the morning for the last time. There were a lot of rules in Northside High, and I assumed she just didn’t feel like going through the trouble.

“UGHH. Why didn’t mom wake me up earlier?” I murmured as I stared down at my watch. I’m going to be late for school at this rate.

I grumbled as I sprinted on the sidewalk as fast as I could. Even though it was raining, it was still such a beautiful day. I can’t wait to start a brand new life, with brand new people. And… lots of friends. The word friend was so unknown to me, due to the fact that there are no such thing as 'friends' in my old school. There’re only preppy selfish s that cared about themselves. I hated them so much. They shouldn’t be considered humans. The only friend I ever had is Vivian. Unlike me, she was well liked by everyone in my old school. She’s been my friend since third grade and actually had a heart. I’m glad she’s coming to Northside High with me. It’s time to forget my past and start over. Studying and getting into Northside High was all going to be worth it.

 

“I could make it.” I murmured to myself, determined to make it to school in time, despite the fact that I was carrying an umbrella, fighting not only against time but also against the wind. What made it worse was that every time I came near an intersection, it was always a red light.

Finally, my destination was in reach— I was only a few meters away from school. Running as fast as I could, I focused too much on trying to make it to school in time.  I didn’t watch where I was going and accidentally bumped into someone real hard.

Because of the speed I was running at, I sent the both of us lying on the ground. My umbrella flew away and I was sitting on the wet, dirty ground as rain continued to pour down. I quickly got up and chased after my umbrella that was flying through the wind. Finally I retrieved it, and realized what was going on.

Holy Crap.

A guy, who was probably a student in this school, was lying there with his expensive looking motorcycle next to him. My mouth gaped open in surprise. I did not just murder someone, did I? I could feel my nerves cracking up as I walked closer towards the guy laying there. This was definitely not a good way to start my already miserable day.

“Are you okay…?” I asked as I reached out a hand, offering help to the guy.

 “DO I LOOK OKAY?” The guy shouted towards me as he rubbed his head, ignoring my hand. “ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?”

“N-no. Sorry. ” I blinked in confusion. Geez, he doesn’t’ have to get that worked up.

“Sorry? Is that all I get after what you did to me and my motorcycle? You look like a freshman. Freshies needs to grow up and understand sorry doesn’t solve everything anymore.”  He stood up, grabbed the shiny motorcycle helmet nearby, which I probably knocked over, and finished parking his motorcycle. “Great way to kill my mood first thing in the morning.”

He shook his head, causing drops of rain to splash off of his messy brown hair and stared at me, “How did you get into Northside High, the best high school in the state when you don’t even have eyes?” 

“I’m sorry, I’ll make it up to you…” I replied as looked down apologetically, “Just like, don’t tell my parents.”

My mom was expecting me to be a top student in that school, who will always behave. What kind of child would I be to crush all her hopes and expectations on the first day of school? I really hated backing down, and apologizing when I feel like it wasn’t my fault, but this time, I’ll swallow it. Not because it has anything to do with this guy looking amazingly hot, but because I need my reputation. On second thought, this guy does look... Wait, what was I thinking?No Way.

“Now you know you did something wrong. Good girl. Scared of your parents huh?” He stood there, mocking me then handed me a piece of paper, “Here’s my number. Call me after school today, I’ll think of a payment.”

Speechless, I watched him walk away arrogantly. I was thinking about what a b**** he was the entire time he was talking to me. This was the first day of school, and furthermore I was a freshman. How was I supposed to know better? It was just an accident, and he started insulting my life? I regreted not instantly killing him when I bumped into him.

“Hey,” I yelled after him. “STFU. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT AND I SAID WAS SORRY—”

Awkwardly, I covered my mouth and realized how loud I’ve yelled. At least one fourth of the school was staring at me from all directions, including that rude bastard who turned around.

  “SHH,” He shushed me and then continued walking. “Stop trying to cause a commotion! Do you want to appear in tomorrow’s school newspaper headline?”

I was so angry but decided to ignore him as I felt a million eyes staring at me. I turned my head 360 degrees and watched the people around me. They quickly turned away, pretending not to notice me. How great, there went my reputation in this school. I’m sorry mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa and all the people that cared about me.

I started walking towards the main entrance, and felt a sharp pain on my right knee. It must be from the accident earlier. I didn’t even notice before when I was chasing after my umbrella. I continued to walk, trying to ignore my knee, but blood was dripping down onto my shoes. Only a few more steps to go, once I make it inside, I’ll clean up in the bathroom. However, before I could enter, I heard a soft familiar voice whispering my name.

“Yume?”

Turning around, I saw my best friend and immediately gave her a smile, “Hi Vivian!”

This girl was Vivian, one of the kindest people I knew, who also happened to be one of the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen too. Sometimes I wondered what people think about me, some plain average looking girl with a bad personality, being best friends with such a girl. But of course, being best friends meant we were always together. I had contaminated Vivian throughout the years spent with me, while she made me into a better person.

“Are you ok? What happened? You just made a blood trail here.” Vivian frowned, looking concerned.

I shook my head while sighing, “This is not my day.”

“Tell me later, look at your knee. Let’s go get you cleaned up.” Vivian continued as she ran up to me, helping me to walk inside. 

She was right. Swearing and yelling in front of the school wasn’t enough for me, I just had to make a blood trail.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

I stood by the bathroom stall as Vivian helped me clean my wound. Just what would I have done without my best friend? She was like a little sister to me. Actually, Vivian was a few months older than me. I was born in October while she was born in July of the same year. But since I was slightly taller, I took advantage of that, and she became my little sister. Even though, she was always like the older sister to me.

“Just what did you do Yume?!” Vivian asked as she wiped my wound down with a wet paper towel.

“Nothing much. I was rushing to school, and then ran into this motorcycle guy. Actually, it’s this extremely rude motorcycle guy. We fell. Got into an argument. He Left. The End.”

“Hahaha,” She laughed. “Something like this always happens to you.”   

“Whatever,” I replied. “Shouldn't we go now? ...The music started already.”

“Yeah, but we still got 8 minutes to spare.” She answered.

Because Northside is the best high school in the state, they tend to do everything differently. Instead of having bells during class periods, they play hallway music. When the music stops, the next class starts.

Climbing stairs in the morning was really not my thing, especially with my injured knee. At least Vivian and I were in the same advisory, it made me feel a little better.

                 

After saying goodbye to Vivian after advisory, we went to our classes.

Now the battle of making friends begins. My heart was afraid as painful flashbacks of 8th grade flows back into my memories.  I pushed open the heavy gym doors of my block 1 class, took a deep breath and walked in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After school—

Well, Northside was exactly the opposite of Hell on Earth— my old school. I couldn’t stop smiling as I walked out of my last period class, Survey Lit. Vivian quickly caught up to me and tapped my shoulders gently.

“Ya Yume! How’s your day? You stopped being so emo now?”

“Hey, I was never emo to start with! My day was great, haven’t felt this way in so long.” I smiled, “You?”

“Same. I’m starting to love Northside! But sadly there aren’t really any cute guys in the classes I had so far,” Vivian pouted.

Cute guys? Hahahah, Vivian’s at it again. But I kind agree with her on there...

“Well, I’m sure there are going to be some cute guys around here. It's only the first day of school!” I tried cheering her up.

Vivian chuckled then looked down at my knee, “Yume, Let’s go check out our new dorms now. By the way, how’s your knee? ”

“It’s perfectly fine. I’m still pissed off at that guy though.” I paused for a moment, then suddenly remembered something. I then reached inside my back pocket and took out a little piece of crumbled up paper that read, “xxx xxx xxxx, Call me right after school.”

“Hey, what’s that?” Vivian leaned her head over, reading the little note I was holding in my hand.

“Ughh. Vivian… What do I do now? I completely forgot about it. That rude guy from this morning told me to call him.”

“Then just do it,” Vivian shrugged. “It’s not that hard.”

“But… I don't want to.”

“Just give me that note,” Vivian said as she snatched the piece of paper away from me. “Where’s your cell phone?”

I dug inside my messy book bag, grabbed my cell phone, and handed it to Vivian.

“Here goes nothing~” Vivian quickly dialed the number and held the phone up to my ear.

“N-no! What are you doing?! I’m not ready yet! What am I suppose—”

“Hello?”

I couldn’t speak. 

“HELLO?”

Vivian gave me a death glare and signaled me to say something.

“Umm… Hey You. I’m the person from this morning.” I awkwardly said.

“Oh. What do you want?” The person replied rudely.

“I should be the one saying that, you told me to call.”

“Hmmm. Come by the café two blocks away from Northside, I’ll deal with you there. By the way, it’s not you. The name is Kim Hyun Joong.” He replied then hung up.

 

I turned towards Vivian, who had been staring at me the whole time, “That dude just hung up on me. What. The. Hell?”

“So? What did he say?” Vivian was totally unconcerned about the fact that the rude dude had hung up on me. “Tell me!”

“He said meet him at this café two blocks away from here,” I replied. “His name is kimhuju or something like that.”

“K-kimhuju?” Vivian burst out of laughing, “Wow. What a name.”

 

In the end, I successfully convinced Vivian to accompany me to the café. But before that, Vivian made me go to our dorms together, and change out of our uniforms. The dorm was beautiful, like those you see in magazines and TV. Just like mom said, everything was sit into place. All my cloth is already in the closet, hanged neatly along the walls. I quickly grabbed a pair of shorts and a simple tee shirt, and then came out of my room wearing flip flops. Just as I thought, Vivian’s taking forever in her room. I waited and waited for about 15 minutes, and she finally came out, wearing a cute summer dress with matching sandals. She looked gorgeous like usual with her innocent face and adorable smile.

“Ay, you took so long. Stop putting on all those make ups and jewelry!” I rolled my eyes at Vivian. "It's not like you need them."

“Hmph. You just don’t understand Yume!” Vivian pouted and ran down the dorm stairs, “We better hurry or that Huju will be pissed off.”

I sighed and ran after her, “Wait up.”