02.

l o v e is i n t h e a i r | | w o o m i n; o n e s h o t

I took a deep breath and looked at him deeply. “Sorry?” Don’t think that I’m a slow person. I didn’t want to get the wrong idea. He smirked. “Be my girlfriend.” He repeated. “No. I’m sorry.” I sighed but he leaned closer. “I will give you all you want.” I shook my head and continued typing. “Hyomin-ah.” It was the first time he called me with my first name. I gulped. “Isn’t that a waste if you reject the most handsome guy in the school?” I ignored him again. “Hyomin.” I was totally annoyed. I immediately saved the documents in his laptop and my flash disc. “I’m sorry Woohyun-sshi. We are here to do a project. Now, I’m done. Please excuse me.” I grabbed my bag and was about to leave but he held my hand. “Hey. I’m serious.” He said in with his deep voice. “I’m serious too. Now, please, let me go.” I shook his hand away from mine and got out off his apartment as fast as possible. He’s insane, I thought.

I walked home. The scenes suddenly roamed over my mind. No. No.

“Hyomin?” I snapped back as my mom waved her hand in front of me. I didn’t realize if I was standing in front of my house like a fool. “Why didn’t you get inside?” she asked and brought her wallet. “Oh? I was about to.” I lied. “But, you were there for 10 minutes already.” She frowned. Okay, I’m not a good liar. “I was just thinking about my test today.” I said. “Really? Is it that hard?” she asked and putted on her sandals. “Not really. I’m just tired mom. Where are you going by the way?” I asked, tried to change the topic. “Oh! I’m going to the minimarket. Do you want to come with me?” hell no. I prefer at home. “No thanks mom. I’m tired.” I said and took off my shoes. “Okay then. Take a rest okay?” I nodded and said good bye.

I went to my room to change and bathed. Just then I remembered if Jessica and Jiyeon supposed to be here. I walked to the guest room and heard the laughter. I smiled and walked in.

“Oh Hyomin, you are here?” Jiyeon asked. I nodded and sat next to her. “Yah! I told you to go home as fast as possible!” Jessica pouted. “Sorry. I had something to do.” I said. The scenes flashed back again.

“How is your project with Woohyun?” Jiyeon smirked.

“W-What? I didn’t come to his house and did the project with him!” I blurted out

“You did.”

“What? I didn’t say that!”

“You just did.” She smirked again

“Okay. I came to his house and we did the project. But still, I did it the most.” I sighed.

“Wait. Who is Woohyun?” Jessica suddenly asked

“Oh, he’s our classmate. He’s the most handsome in our school, well, Myungsoo is the most handsome. And he’s a heartbreaker.” Jiyeon explained.

“Nam Woo Hyun?” she asked

“How did you know?” I frowned and lied down

“He’s Donghae’s cousin. Wait. You two are match! You are my cousin, he’s Donghae’s cousin. See? Oh my god. I ship you two!” she exclaimed. Wait. He’s Donghae oppa’s cousin?  

“He’s handsome and cute, isn’t he?” Jessica asked

I nodded. “But he’s a heartbreaker. I don’t want to play around him and get hurt.” I said

There was a pause

“He actually asked me to be his girlfriend.”

“What? Really? When? How come? Did you say yes?” Jiyeon asked a ton of questions

“No. I didn’t say yes. I rejected him.”

“What? His pride is going down now. I’m sure it was his first time being rejected.” Jiyeon shook her head and I shrugged.

“Who cares?” I rolled my eyes

“But, you don’t have any interest in him?” Jessica asked

“No. Not at all.”

“Okay. Don’t come to us and cry when you fall for him but he’s with another girl already.” Jiyeon said

I got out of the room and went back to my room.

-

I got the love letters even more since that day. What the hell is that? “Don’t tell me… it’s Woohyun who sent these all?” I murmured. I closed my locker and walked to y class. I tried to look for him but I couldn’t find him. Where was he? He was never absent I guess. I decided to ask one of his close friends, Kim Sung Gyu.

“Sunggyu-sshi” I approached him who was busy chatting with his friends.

“Oh? Hyomin-sshi. What’s up?” he asked

“Um, I’d like to ask. Where’s Woohyun-sshi?” I asked nervously

“Oh Woohyun? He’s absent today. He said he has fever. I don’t know what happen with him but it’s his first time he got sick. And he told me to tell his girls if he will come back soon. Are you one of them?” he explained

“Nope. I was his partner for math project. Thank you Sunggyu-sshi” I bowed and left.

I back to my seat. What make him sick? Is it because of me? Why I worry over him anyway?

 

“Jiyeon. Let’s go.” I grabbed my bag and walked away

“Hey. Do you want to go to the mall first? I’m kind of bored.” Jiyeon asked. I had nothing to do so I agreed

“Sure.”

We got a taxi and the driver drove us to the mall. My mind wasn’t there. I was thinking about him. I worried about him because he’s my classmate right?

“Hyomin?” Jiyeon waved her hand

“Oh? Why?”

“We’re here.” She said and I nodded

“By the way, where’s Woohyun? I didn’t see him today.” We walked to our favorite ice cream parlor

“He’s sick. He has fever.” I sighed.

“How did you know?”

“I asked his friends.”

“You worry him.” She smirked. It was a trick. I should know it from the very start

“No. It’s just, I think he’s the sender of the love letters. Do you think so?” I paid the ice cream and walked to one of the tables there

“That’s right. Perhaps.”

“That’s why. I was about to ask him but he was nowhere to be found”

“Why don’t we go to his house?” Jiyeon suggested.

I choked

“You are crazy!”

“Oh why thank you”

‘Shall I?’ I doubted in my thought

-

Knock…Knock…

“Wait a minute.” someone answered lazily

I brought him a kimchi soup since he absented too today. He absented for 3 days already

“H-Hyomin?” he asked in his pants only

I blushed. I tried to forget his confession and being his friend here. I said in a cheerful tone, “Hi Woohyun-sshi! You have absented for 3 days. As your classmate, I-“ I stopped when I heard another voice

“Who is that honey?” a girl voice. Isn’t that…

“Chorong-sshi?”

“Oh, you, the y girl. What are you doing here?”

“I-“ she looked down to the hamper that I brought

“I will take care of him. Don’t worry. And we have so much fun today, right honey?”

He was topless. There was only a blanket covered her body. Right. I shouldn’t disturb them

The hamper fell. I wiped my tears and said, “I’m sorry if I disturbed you. I’m going now.” I lowered my head and walked away. Woohyun was calling my name but I immediately ran. My heart was ached. Was I jealous? Why? It’s not like I’m his girlfriend or something.

 

A few days passed…

“Hyomin. We need to talk.”

I sighed and turned to him. “What?”

“I-“

“If you are going to talk about that day, I’m sorry okay? And I have no business about it so, please excuse me.”

“Hyomin…”

“Please-“

“Can you please listen to me? For 5 minutes only?”

“Fine. Go ahead. I don’t have all the day for you.”

“Thanks. Now, I want to explain. Chorong came to my apartment without any invitation. She came and entered my house by herself. I respected her so I let her in. She told me if she wanted to take care of me. I didn’t mind and I agreed. It seemed no one wanted to take care of me. My friends were going out and forgot me. Then you came.” He sighed

“Yeah yeah. But it’s not my business.”

“It is. I love you. I don’t want you to misunderstand.”

“Liar. How many times you say ‘I Love You’? How many girls that get hurt by you?”

“Hyomin! I said it that words for ton times. But I’m serious now. I love you. My love for you is infinite. I can't take my eyes off of you. You made my heart skipped a beat. It's thumping faster and faster. It's beating for you. Will you be mine?”

He stared at me deeply.

Don't say cheesy things to me. Do you think I will believe your words that just came out from Mr. Playboy? It's sweet but I still can't believe you to take care of my heart.”

“Please. Give me a chance. I love you, and I mean it. I will prove it!”

“Even if you prove it to me, I just can give you 30% of my heart.”

“Why?”

“Once playboy, still playboy.” And with that, I walked away. I felt bad for him but I don’t want to get hurt.

-

He became colder and colder. He used his poker face everywhere. He stayed away from girls and focused on his study. He became the top students. He got the third rank in class after me and Jiyeon. Was that because of me?

“Yah Hyomin. Do you think something is wrong with Woohyun?” Jiyeon asked and bite his sausage

“I don’t know and I don’t want to know.”

I walked away and left her in confusion. I was really in bad mood now.

I wasn’t focus on my way again. And I bumped into someone, again.

That person helped me to take my books and gave it to me. “Sorry.” I apologized

“It’s okay. Aren’t you Hyomin? The number one top students?”

I nodded and blushed. “Oh yeah and thanks.”

“I’m Kikwang by the way. Lee Kikwang.”

Since that day, we became friends. Best friends. He was really nice, unlike Woohyun. Uh… Woohyun again.

Where was he?

Did he move on already?

What about me?

And why do I even care?

“Hyomin!” Kikwang shouted

“What?”

“Which one do you like? The pink one or the blue one?” he asked while pointed at the two dresses

“I prefer the blue one.”

I looked around while waiting for him to pay the dress. My eyes caught a beautiful figure.

Wasn’t it Woohyun? With that girl? Again?

I saw Chorong, her arm was on his waist while he was expressionless

“Kikwang. I need to use the restroom.” He nodded and I ran to the restroom

I washed my face and without I realized, I cried. “Why I have to cry for that jerk? He just told me a lie.”

-

The day was over. I’ve tried to avoid him and it was succeed. “I’m sorry Hyomin. I promise Myungsoo to have a date today.” I smiled bitterly and nodded. “That’s okay. Just go.”

“Thanks Hyomin-ah!” she ran to the other direction while I grabbed my bag and closed the locker. When I turned around, he was there, in front of me, just a few inches away.

“What do you want?” I asked coldly

“Did you avoid me?”

“It’s not like we are close” I rolled my eyes

“Yah-“

“Stop.”

“Hyomin-sshi.”

“I said stop.”

“I-“

“Can you just stop?! I said stop!”

“YOU HAVE TO STOP TOO!” he shouted at me that made me scared.

“Hyomin. Look, I’m sorry-“

“Go away.”

“Hyomin…”

“GO AWAY!”

He pinned me to the locker door and looked at my eyes.

“Park Hyomin. How many times do I need to tell you that I love you? I love you and I mean it! You…” he paused. He cried. The tears rolled down. Woohyun, I’m sorry…

“You… I know you are different from any other girl. That’s why I sent all those letters that only means to you… I’ve waited for you but you never look at me. You just think that I’m a big playboy with no heart right? RIGHT?” he raised his voice. He stepped back and mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

He walked away

With the pain that I gave

“Woohyun!”

He stopped but didn’t turn his face to me. I ran to him and gave him a back hug.

“Woohyun I’m sorry… I just don’t want to get hurt. I want to protect myself.” I cried on his back

He turned to me and cupped my face. He wiped my tears with his thumbs

“I won’t hurt you and I won’t let you get hurt by anyone. Please trust me. Give me a chance.”

I nodded. “I-I thought you moved on already. I saw you with Chorong together last week in the mall.” I sobbed

“What? Did I give her any respond? You could see that I ignored her. I just want to respect her. But from now on, I will stay away from her, from all the girls here. I promise!”

I smiled and nodded. “Now, I give you 100% of my heart.”

 

Our beautiful love story started here from here