An Angel's Smile

Hospital Angel

"We're here." Hyuk Jae said simply as he stepped out of the van, walking around the front and opening the door for the boys. Onew exited the vehicle first, stepping out of the way as the others came out. Once the doors were shut once again and everything they'd brought taken out, their manager lead them into the hospital.

 

The group passed the front desk, the five idols simply following their smiling manager. He grinned at the receptionist as she handed him a pass to get them into the ward Dan Su was in, with her grinning right back. Walking down the sterile hallways, the boys glanced at each other as they began to feel nervous. Maybe that's just what hospitals do to people, or maybe it was because they began to realize exactly how serious Dan Su's condition was as they continued. Passing the ER and ICU, they finally stepped into an area guarded by a locked door and yet another sterile hallway. Except this one was much busier. Nurses scurried around, holding syringes, bottles of medicine and bloody towels. The sight alone made the boys pale slightly, wondering what exactly their fan was suffering from.

 

After about five more minutes of walking, their manager stopped in front of a room, turning around and looking at them seriously. "Boys, I don't think I need to remind you to keep the noise down in this area. Also, stop looking so frightened! Dan Su isn't bleeding or screaming in pain and I promise you, he has the brightest smile you have ever seen."

 

The boys just looked at each other before Onew finally spoke up, "Come on, guys. We're the shining SHINee! We have to see this little boy and make his world today!" He lowered his voice and said  softly, "I don't know what he's going through, but at least we can try to make him smile." He turned slightly, looking their manager dead in the eyes as he said, "We'll make both of them smile."

 

Their manager looked at the boys proudly, never having felt such pride at being the manger of these five boys-turned-men. He nodded at them once before turning around and opening the door slowly, stepping in. The boys stood behind their manager silently, but were startled by a child's voice saying, "Hyung's back!" Followed by the said man walking into the room quickly and stopping in front of the only bed in the room. The lights were a bit dim and the curtains were drawn, as if the boy had been sleeping, even though it was only ten in the morning.

 

Jonghyun, probably the most curious out of all of them, peeked into the room. His eyes widened when he saw the sight before him. Their manager was leaning over a bed and hugging what looked like a small child. What was even more surprising though, was the woman standing next to their manager, close to a chair placed next to the bed. She can't be older than me. He thought in awe as he stared at her, noting how tired she looked even with the bright smile that lit up her large, blue eyes. He was brought back to the present when he felt someone poking at his side. He turned his head, only for his gaze to be met by a pair of feline eyes lined in black. Not the least bit surprised that it was Key, he stepped into the room quickly and heard the others follow him, each of them setting something down next to the door. Their footsteps slightly echoed in the quiet room, but were mostly drowned out by the beeping of the many machines surrounding the bed.

 

All eyes were on Dan Su, wondering how he would react. After greeting his favorite Hyung, he had looked toward his mother, but his gaze was redirected as he noticed others had entered the room. Michelle looked at him hopefully, thinking, Shouldn't he be doing something other than just sitting there? Oh, I hope I didn't make Hyuk Jae go through all this trouble for nothing! She bit her lip harshly, a habit she had whenever she was feeling strong emotions.

 

Feeling a bit awkward, Onew quickly signaled the boys to do their signature introduction. They rearranged themselves into a line and raised their fists, smiling brightly as they said, "Hello, we're the shining SHINee!" Taemin waved at the little boy slightly as they finished, liking the child instantly. Minho just smiled at the boy and winked. Key was already thinking of all the things they could do as a group. While Jonghyun was simply grinning at the boy, tilting his head as he did so.

 

Onew, sweetheart that he is, decided he wanted to greet the boy properly. So he stepped forward...and tripped on a cord. He nearly fell face first before Hyuk Jae caught and righted him. He smiled sheepishly, wondering why he was so clumsy. Dan Su looked up at him innocently and asked curiously,

 

"Onew sangtae?"

 

The room became dead silent, until the other four members lost it. Jonghyun leaned on Key for support, while Key clutched his stomach, both of them lost in hysterics. Minho threw his head back, laughing like there was no tomorrow. And Taemin covered his mouth with his hand, turning his head as he tried to control himself, without success.

 

Hyuk Jae and Michelle just looked at each other with wide eyes, one worrying that the boys were being too loud and the other not sure what she was witnessing. Until another laugh was caught by their ears. Dan Su was standing on his knees in bed, clutching his stomach as he laughed hard. He constantly threw his head back, seemingly mimicking Minho, until all of the laughter had died down to mere giggles. Onew pouted, not at all happy that everyone was laughing at him, before stepping over the cord carefully and leaning down to the child's level.

 

"Hello!" He said cheerily, his eyes turning into little crescents as he smiled, "I'm Leader Onew!" He bowed at the boy playfully, purposely bumping his head on mattress. He rubbed the spot he'd hit, pretending to not know how he did it. Dan Su clapped his tiny hands and laughed again before exclaiming, "You're funny!" And coughing a bit. His mother picked up a towel from the table next to the bed and held it over his mouth. Onew grinned at him, surprised at how happy the boy looked, before frowning when he noticed a bit of red coloring the stark white towel. Michelle quickly folded the towel and set it back before he could question her though. Bending down to the child's level again, he asked, "What's your name?"

 

The little boy sat cross legged and untangled a few wires before answering, "My name is Choi Dan Su." He pointed a thin finger at the only woman in the room, "And that's my mommy, Choi Michelle!" He exclaimed, using her married name. Turning to his mother, he said to her, "Mommy, did you know SHINee was coming?!" He bounced on the bed excitedly until his mother reached down and held him still as she replied,

 

 

"It was your hyung's idea. You should thank him and then thank SHINee for finding time in their busy schedules to visit you." She removed her hands from the boys knees and sank into the chair beside his bed, sighing softly. Relieved that the boy seemed to simply be having to take time to figure out what was going on before he reacted, she examined the men before her slowly, noting their every move. At least until she discovered that Key was watching her too, then she quickly averted her gaze to Dan Su, only glancing back at the boys every few seconds.

 

The boy nodded at his mother's words, grinning like no tomorrow. Turning to his hyung, he bowed as well as he could while seated and said, "Thank you, Hyung. I shall meet them well!" Then he catapulted from the bed and hugged Hyuk Jae as tightly as he could with wires still attached to him. The man beamed and hugged the boy back, winking at the Michelle as he did so. She caught the wink and smiled gratefully at the older man, mouthing “thank you” as she relaxed for the first time in what seemed like weeks.

 

The members simply watched, each noticing something different about the scene. Key, ever the umma, noticed how pale and unhealthy the boy looked. Dan Su's shirt had rode up a bit as he hugged their manager and Key saw that his ribs were visible. Onew only saw how happy and upbeat the boy was despite his condition and he was beginning to suspect that the boy had been given sugar before they arrived. Taemin looked at the child and realized just how young he was when he saw a small box full of toys under the bed and a stuffed bear next to his pillow. Minho was trying to figure out what was ailing Dan Su, seeing that there were all sorts of machines and what looked like a tray filled with syringes. He wondered if they were painkillers.

 

And Jonghyun, well, Jonghyun was more interested in the woman seated near them. He watched her as she rested her small face in her palm and thought she didn't look much better than the boy. Her skin was an unhealthy pale and there were bags under her eyes. But what worried him most was how her clothes seemed to be two sizes too big on her, like she'd lost a lot of weight. She kept shaking herself as he watched her, trying to keep her pretty eyes open. Turning to ask Key if there was some way to let her do so, he didn't notice that Dan Su had turned his attention to them.

 

Dan Su swung his legs over the edge of his bed and looked at them, seemingly in awe. One by one he glanced them up and down. With his blue eyes shining, he said quietly, "Are you here to visit me and my mommy?" His innocence shone through with his question, each of the boys feeling their hearts melt at his words.

Minho stepped forward and sat next to the boy, placing one arm around him protectively as Key answered softly, "Yeah. We're here to visit you. What do you want to do?" Key gestured for the other boys to come closer and their manager stood next to Michelle to give them room.

 

The boys began introducing themselves personally as Hyuk Jae leaned over and said in Michelle's ear, "I have some fires I need to put out, but I'll be back later. I'll give you a call before I leave so I can pick up anything you need. You don't eat enough." He hinted as the young woman looked up at him gratefully.

"I have no idea what I would do without you, oppa." She said, the endearing term she hardly ever used sneaking into her sentence subconsciously. He grinned at her slip and said, "What wouldn't I do for my sister?"

 

"Only by marriage and I'm not even really married to your brother anymore." She said as she rolled her eyes playfully, but still half serious.

 

"But you were once and I still consider you family." He replied, ruffling her hair before exiting the room quietly. She smiled gratefully as she watched him walk away, feeling luckier than ever to have Hyuk Jae as a brother-in-law.

 

Taemin looked up when he heard the door click, glancing around the room when he noticed that their manager wasn't there anymore. Tugging on the eldest's sleeve, he whispered, "Manager-Hyung just left." Onew looked up and turned around, mentally confirming that their manager was indeed gone.

 

Michelle saw the two boys look around and smiled softly before speaking to them for the first time, "He has some things to do, but he'll be back later to pick you guys up." Her eyes dimmed as she wondered what kind of "fires" her oppa was facing at the moment. Probably ones concerning the boys visiting a single fan for a whole day, that couldn't have made the higher people very happy.

 

Onew nodded and turned his attention back to the child, asking him what all of the members were probably wondering, "Who's your favorite in SHINee?" Dan Su grinned and pointed to Taemin with a giggle. Taemin pumped his fists in the air before plopping down next to the boy and high fiving him.

 

Minho glared at his dongsaeng playfully, "I guess this is war." He said to the other. Taemin glared back as he answered,

 

"May the best dancer win." Minho narrowed his eyes, hearing the challenge in the younger’s tone before nodding and replying, "May the tallest win." Taemin pouted, pulling the sad puppy look off perfectly, which caused Minho to roll his eyes. He was getting too used to the makena's aegyo for it to be very effective.

 

Dan Su glanced between the two boys before pointing at Jonghyun and saying, "He's mommy's favorite! She says his voice makes her melt like an ice cream cone!" Jonghyun chuckled at the boys announcement, turning around to look at the young woman.

 

Michelle blushed slightly, feeling a bit embarrassed that her son even mentioned it, but not really surprised. Every time they would watch a video of SHINee, Dan Su would first point at Taemin before pointing to Jonghyun and yelling, "Mommy, look! It's your favorite!" Of course, that fact didn't make her feel any less embarrassed as her son continued,

 

"Yesterday, she said you looked hot, but you couldn't have been because you didn't have your shirt on!" He put his index finger to his chin, looking very thoughtful whereas his mother looked like a sunburned tomato.

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrow at the horrified woman in slight amusement and gave her a half smile. Turning his body to look at her fully and ing his hands in his pockets, he stared into her eyes while she gave him a deer caught in headlights look. "So...you think I'm hot?" He smirked and Key rolled his eyes in the background, preparing to step in when the woman jumped up and walked out of the room.

 

Jonghyun watched the woman leave in surprise, not at all expecting that reaction. Key came up behind the other and smacked him, amazed at how dense Jonghyun was being, "YAH!" He yelled as the older man turned around and stared at him, "You don't just go around asking women if they think you're hot! Especially not one who's an obviously tense and stressed fan!" He glared at Jonghyun, nearly boring holes into his dino head.

 

Jonghyun opened and closed his mouth, not sure why he hadn't thought of that, before wincing, "I should go apologize, shouldn't I?" He said sheepishly, more as a statement than a question. The other members, who had been listening in, all nodded their agreement. The singer sighed, turning to the door and grasping the handle as Dan Su yelled,

 

"Mommy likes hugs!" He was standing on his knees again on the bed. Jonghyun turned his head to look at the adorable boy,

 

"I'll remember that." He said with a grin, thinking this was a good piece of information. He'd hug her and make her feel better, like any good guy would. As he left the room, Dan Su turned to Taemin and said innocently,

 

"She always likes it when I hug her." Ruffling the kids hair, Taemin said,

 

"Does she like it when anyone else hugs her?" Dan Su put a finger to his chin and said,

 

"I've never seen mommy hug anyone other than me and daddy." He tapped his chin thoughtfully and finished, "She doesn't even hug Hyung!" Shrugging his shoulders, he looked at Key and said, "Do you really dance like a girl?"