Saving the Guardian...From Herself

Hospital Angel

Jonghyun jogged down the long hallway, looking everywhere for some sight of the pretty foreigner. He had to admit, her looks definitely set her apart from the rest of the population of Korea. Seeing a nurse that didn't seem to be in a huge hurry, he stopped in front of her asked, "Did you see a blond foreigner come through here a minute ago?"

 

The middle-aged, slightly plump woman looked up, seemingly not recognizing him, "Do you mean Choi Michelle? She's down there," The woman pointed toward an open area adjacent to the hallway. It had two couches set in an L shape and a coffee table placed in the center. Set against the wall across from the couches, a row of vending machines stood. And a table with two chairs sat under a window on the far wall. The medium sized area was about twenty feet away from where Jonghyun was standing.

 

Grinning, he nodded to the helpful woman, "Thank you!" He said, walking quickly toward the lounge-like area. The woman smiled as he walked away, racking her brain for where she'd seen the familiar-looking, not to mention handsome, young man.

 

He peeked around the wall into the room before he stepped in, not wanting to startle the still tomato red woman. He grinned again when he saw her seated on a couch with a bottle of flavored water in front of her. Her short, blond hair was swept in front of her face, but he could tell she was still completely embarrassed. He walked around the wall and leaned his shoulder on the edge. He wanted to wait until the woman, Michelle, noticed him.

 

Michelle felt bad for running away like that and a bit guilty for leaving her son alone for no real reason, but she was pretty sure she was going to faint from Jonghyun's smirk if she hadn't left right then. I mean, come on, I'm a huge fan and he is a fiiiine boy. Feeling hungry, but a bit nauseous, she bought herself a bottle of water, lemon flavored, and sat on one of the couches. Her heart was no longer pounding in her chest, but she felt a bit faint. Knowing she was exhausted and starving, but also knowing she couldn't do anything about either of those problems at the moment, she took deep breaths and slowly drank her water. She hoped maybe it would settle her stomach and Hyuk Ju could pick her up something to eat. She had lost about twenty pounds in the last few months and knew she was dangerously underweight, but she wasn't about to put her health above her sons. I won't die before he does. She thought grimly. As she downed the last of her water, she noticed a figure in the entryway. She turned her head, thinking it may have been a doctor on break, but gaped when she saw who it actually was.

 

Jonghyun smirked again at her reaction, watching her struggle to find words. He stepped into the room and stood in front of her with his hands in his pockets, "You know, it's not nice to run away from guests." He said teasingly as he kneeled in front of her, feeling a bit of Déjà-Vu when he looked into her wide, blue eyes.

 

Michelle couldn't seem to get her brain to work after she saw him smiling, the wheels in her head skidding to a halt and not wanting to start again. She stood quickly, her vision blacking out momentarily as she did so, but she shook it off and walked past the handsome man. Throwing her bottle away and covering her blushing cheeks she said, "Shouldn't you be visiting my son. I'm not the fan you came to see." She bit her lip harshly again, not noticing that she was playing with her fingers as her frayed nerves began to reach their breaking point.

 

Jonghyun tilted his head, frowning slightly now that he had a better look at her. He was almost sure that she was severely underweight now and he glanced to the right, noticing a snack machine a few feet away. He walked over to it, putting in the right amount of money and pressing a few buttons as he said with a hint of teasing in his voice, "But you ARE a fan. So I think it counts. Besides," He took his purchases out and stepped in front of Michelle, holding them right in front of her as he said quietly, "I wanted to apologize for teasing you like that. It wasn't very gentlemanly of me."

 

Michelle looked up at his words, noting the two packages of apple and peanut butter snacks he held in front of her. Raising her eyes to his, she saw how completely sincere he was being and had to admit she was touched. With a small smile she took the snacks from him and opened one, taking a small bite out of a slice of green apple. She chewed it slowly and looked down, swallowing and quietly saying, "Thank you.".

 

Jonghyun smiled slightly as she ate. Not liking the silence, he said, "Do you want to go back to your son's room?" His voice was soft, him feeling like the fragile woman might break if he spoke too loudly. Michelle nodded, taking another bite of the apple slice and walking out with Jonghyun following closely behind.

 

Key watched Jonghyun leave the room and shook his head, that boy made him wonder sometimes. He turned his attention back to Dan Su when he heard him speak, but missed the words. He was about to ask the boy what he said when he saw that Onew was sitting in the chair by the bed, watching, while Taemin and Minho seemed to be interrogating Dan Su. At least, Minho was.

 

"What is it you like about my cute dongsaeng?" Minho asked, saying the last part with a twinkle of mischief in his large, brown eyes. Taemin narrowed his own and glared at the rapper, obviously not happy with being called cute.

 

"It's because I'm the most handsome. Right, Dan Su-ah?" Taemin stated rather than questioned, still glaring at Minho. The boys continued to talk to Dan Su while glaring at each other, apparently finding his affection to be something to fight over, while Dan Su looked on, smiling and laughing occasionally at his silly hyungs.

 

"I like Tae-Hyung because he can dance!" He yelled suddenly, throwing his hands in the air and falling onto his back, his legs tangling in the sheets.

 

Minho's face fell as he helped Dan Su untangle himself, knowing he was never going to beat Taemin at dancing no matter how hard he tried. Taemin simply grinned before pulling off moves that would have made Michael Jackson proud. Clapping wildly, Dan Su watched Taemin with rapt attention.

 

"Did you like that?" Taemin asked once he was finished, sitting on the boys bed again and smiling triumphantly at Minho. Dan Su nodded quickly, still watching Taemin like he was the most interesting thing in the world. Minho narrowed his eyes, determined that if Taemin was going to show off, he could too. Standing suddenly, he coughed, directing the attention of the two boys on the bed.

 

"Do you like my rapping, Dan Su-ah?" Minho asked, leaning forward slightly. Dan Su nodded, now focusing on Minho, "Would you like me to rap for you?" He asked as he formulated a way to win the little contest. Dan Su nodded again, swinging his skinny legs over the side of the bed and folding his hands in his lap, giving Minho his undivided attention.

 

Minho turned and kneeled next to Onew, whispering in his ear a moment before Onew grinned. Pulling away with a slightly smaller grin, he stood up, followed by Onew. Now curious about what Minho was doing, Key walked to the end of the bed and sat down, watching to see what the two goofballs were going to do.

 

Minho smirked at Taemin as Onew began to beat box, his usually soft and sweet voice turning into a beat that could turn even a nursing home into a dance floor. Taking a deep breath, Minho began, lowering his voice an octave and using his eyes to create his famous charismatic stare.

 

"Even if you can't hear me,

I won't give up!

What I have felt up until now,

I won't give up!

Even if you can't see me now,

I won't give up!

No, I won't give up!

'Cause I won't give up!

 

Even if I can't hear you,

I won't give up!

What I have felt up until now,

I won't give up!

Even if you can never see me,

I won't give up!

No, I won't give up!

'Cause I won't give up!"

 

Dan Su clapped some more, grinning from ear to ear. Taemin pouted a little, not liking that the other was so much better at rapping than him. Though he soothed his wounded pride with the fact that he would probably always be better than Minho at dancing, so he shrugged it off and turned his attention back to the child.

 

"Who's did you like better?" He asked, pretty confident Dan Su would pick him, but something in the back of his mind telling him he was wrong. Minho sat down on the other side of the boy and watched with hopeful eyes as he glanced between the two of them and pointed at...

 

Onew.

 

The said man grinned and picked the boy up, hugging him tightly and kissing the top of his head. Minho and Taemin simply gaped, Taemin wasn't sure what had just happened and Minho was beginning to regret asking Onew to beat box for him. As soon as Dan Su pointed at Onew, Key began laughing at the irony and started liking the smart little er even more. Walking over to Onew, Key planted a kiss on Dan Su's head and said, "You are a genius!"

 

The boy gave him a toothy grin and replied, "That's what my mommy says!" Even though Key had heard the boy speak in English before, this was the first time he noticed how perfect his English was. The boy almost sounded American!

Key's attention was redirected when the door to the room opened and a small woman came in, carrying a container of apple slices and peanut butter in her hands. Jonghyun came in behind her and closed the door as she walked over to the chair by the bed and sat down. Key gave Jonghyun a look and he held his hands up in surrender, not sure what he'd done this time. Key just rolled his eyes and walked over to the young lady, stopping in front of her and kneeling down when she didn't look up. He almost laughed as he did so, beginning to wonder if he was the only adult in the room, until he noticed how underweight and just plain tuckered out she looked. His diva heart clenched a bit and his umma side took over as he placed a hand on her forehead and sighed in relief, she didn't have a fever. Next, he looked to see what she was eating, glad that it was healthy, but knowing it wouldn't put any meat on her bones.

 

As soon as Michelle came in the room, she made a beeline for the chair, feeling like she was going to fall over. She hadn't slept at all the past week and hadn't eaten much either. She sat down and looked at the apples she was eating, realizing she hadn't eaten a thing in two days. She'd drunk plenty of water though! Not that it did a whole lot, she was still losing weight faster than she could put it on. She sighed almost unnoticeably, wishing for the billionth time that her son hadn't gotten sick and her husband hadn't died. She closed her eyes and tried to remember how it felt when he touched her, he was always so gentle. His hands were calloused and strong though, he was a soldier, he had to be gentle or he would "break her like a china plate." As he used to say to her girlfriends whenever they would notice how gentle he was. He thoughts were interrupted when she felt a soft hand on her forehead. 'Soft?' She thought, not having been touched by any hands that weren't either rough or bony in years.

 

Her eyes opened and she gasped as she saw a pair of brown, almost black, cat-like eyes staring at her searchingly. The man in front of her sighed almost as if in relief and looked her food, his features turning kind and a bit sad. She was about to ask him if he wanted some when he stood up and walked toward the things they had set by the door when they came in. Now that she really looked at them, she saw that there were several bags, a guitar case and a cooler. Key picked up the cooler and walked over to her, setting it on the floor and kneeling next to it. She watched curiously as he pulled out a bottle of strawberry-watermelon fruit juice and beef kimbap. He took the snack away from her and placed the juice and kimbap on her lap saying, or more like commanding, "Eat this." Before turning around and distributing juice and kimbap to the rest of the members.

 

Dan Su watched as the others began eat, knowing he couldn't have any. He felt a little sad and was about to ask his mom if to ask the nurses to bring him something other than a feeding tube, when Key handed him a bottle of apple juice and a er. His face lit up instantly and he fairly beamed at Key as he said, "Thank you!" before it happily. Key smiled in satisfaction, mentally thanking Hyuk Ju for letting him know what food Dan Su could eat.

 

Michelle's jaw dropped and her eyes watered a little as she watched her son enjoy himself, not so much amazed that Key knew what food Dan Su could eat(her oppa had probably told him that), but that he had even thought to bring anything. Honestly, she had been imagining that the boys would come, say hi, sing a little, maybe talk to Dan Su for a bit, sign a T-shirt and leave. But this...this had been more than anyone(save for Hyuk Ju, he'd done more than most COULD do) had done for her and her son in years. A tear ran down her cheek and she felt a little less alone as she watched her sun his lollipop hapilly with four members of his favorite Kpop group around him. And her bruised, but not completely broken, heart started healing a bit as she felt an arm snake around her shoulders and hold her comfortingly.