To Meet an Angel

Hospital Angel

"Hyuuung! Hurry up!"

 

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying!"

 

"I'm ready to go."

 

"Yah! Pabo! We're going to be late if you don't hurry up! And brush your hair first!"

 

"Guys. Guys!"

 

The oldest scanned the room, noting how frazzled and disarrayed everyone seemed. He ran a hand through his soft, brown locks and sighed, not really sure how to get them all out to the van. Although their resident umma apparently had a plan.

 

"Jonghyun!" The diva yelled at said man, "We don't have time for you to find tracks, just bring your guitar!" Key turned to the youngest and said, "Taemin, get the food I put in the refrigerator and put it in the cooler." The boy nodded and hurried to the kitchen, glad to help his hyung. Finally, the surprisingly feminine diva faced their leader and said, "You're welcome." before disappearing into his room, presumably to find his purse-er…man-bag.

 

Onew blinked, he really should have learned to expect this from Key, but it still surprised him how well he managed to keep the others in line when Onew didn't have a clue what to do. "Maybe he should've been made leader." He muttered to himself, rubbing the back of his head.

 

"Don't say that, Hyung." Minho said with his signature grin, startling Onew, who hadn't noticed the man behind him, "You're a great leader." He finished, ruffling the others hair even though he was older.

 

Onew gave him his signature eyesmile as he patted his hair back into place," Thanks, Minho-ah!" He said, wondering how the younger had heard him, but quickly putting the thought into the back of his mind and focusing on the day ahead of them. All their manager had told them was that they were going to visit a fan in the hospital who really wanted to meet them. It had kind of surprised the members when their manager was so adamant that it had to happen on Friday and no later, but they shrugged it off, thinking it was just because they were so busy with their promotions.

 

"I'm ready!" Key cried, coming out of his room with a bag and stopping in front of him. "I'm going to put this in the van." And before Onew could say a word, Key was out the door, the shutting of the door signaling his exit. Onew blinked again, wondering for the billionth time since he'd met the diva whether Key was really younger than him.

 

At that moment, Taemin came out of the kitchen with a medium sized cooler, obviously stuffed by the way the boy struggled to carry it, and started to slowly walk towards the door. Jonghyun jogged down the hall behind him with his guitar, finally looking presentable, and saw the other trying to keep from dropping it. He took the cooler from the younger man with his free hand and grinned at him cheekily. Smiling back sheepishly, Taemin rubbed the back of his head. His pretty brown eyes looking a bit embarrassed as he watched Jonghyun carry both objects almost effortlessly.

 

"Are we ready to go?" Jonghyun asked, striding towards the leader and rapper. Onew looked at Minho, who nodded, before turning to the second oldest with a smile and saying,

 

"Let's go!" His English was nearly perfect, but still held a cute accent that betrayed his mother tongue. He held the door open for the others as they grabbed their things and exited the dorm, walking down the stairs to the van parked outside. Closing the door behind him, Onew rushed to the van, nearly falling down on the way. He quickly caught himself though, and stepped into said van before the others could notice.

 

"Hyung?" Taemin said, peeking out at the other from the back, "What do you know about the fan we're going to meet?" His soft voice was laced with wonderment and the other members turned to their leader, obviously feeling the same.

 

Onew sighed, smiling at them as he replied, "I honestly don't know any more than you guys do. Although Manager-Hyung did say that his mother was a foreigner and she'd be there." Onew emphasized the word "foreigner" a bit, excited to find out who the mysterious woman was. Like most young Koreans, he was very interested in people who left their own countries to come to his. The idea seemed almost scary, especially when he thought of how young many of them were.

 

All the boys looked at each other, their eyes shining and questions on their lips. Then they all looked to their manager in the front seat, silently pleading him to give them some sort of information to satisfy their curiosity. The manager felt their eyes on him and glanced in the rearview mirror, sighing when he saw the look in their eyes. "Are you really that impatient to find out?" He asked, a hint of exasperation in his voice. The boys nodded quickly, leaning in to listen and not saying a word.

 

He took a deep breath and started, not fully sure where to start, "Well...your fan is a boy named Choi Dan Su who is dying of a rare disease. His biggest dream is to meet you guys and he doesn't have much time left to fulfill that dream." His eyes showed his sadness as he finished, having gotten to know the boy personally and knowing how much he deserved to have at least one dream come true in his life.

 

The members glanced at each other, touched and a bit confused. Key finally spoke up and said, "Is that his only dream? Doesn't he have any dreams of winning the World Cup or becoming a trainee or something?!" He threw his hands up to emphasize his point, thinking Dan Su was probably around twelve to fifteen, the average age of their fans.

 

Their manager looked at him sadly and said quietly, "Key, Dan Su is only four." The van was instantly silent, there not being anything you could say after that revelation. He eased the car to a stop when they reached an intersection and turned to look at the boys as he waited for the light to turn green, "I don't think he's even old enough to understand what those things are, let alone dream about doing them." He turned back around just as the light changed and hit the gas, wanting to make it there as soon as possible so the little boy could spend as much time as he wanted with his idols.

 

Minho, ever the thoughtful one, said to the manager, "What about his parents? Are they fans too?"

 

Their manager chuckled, amused that the boys had no idea exactly how true that was. He didn't want Michelle to be embarrassed though, so he said, "His mother is too busy taking care of him and trying to find away to save her only child to do much else and as for his father..." Here he stopped, debating whether it was necessary for him to tell them something so personal about her.

 

"Well?!" Key said, knowing their manager was withholding information and not liking it. His umma instincts also told him that something was wrong.

 

The man took a deep breath, holding the steering wheel tighter as he increased their speed a bit, "His father, Choi Min Jae, was born here, but he moved to the States and became a citizen. After that, he decided to join the U.S. army. Just before he was deployed, he met and married Michelle Williams, Dan Su's mother. Min Jae was deployed to the U.S. Army base here and his family came with him. Michelle and Dan Su lived in an apartment here in Seoul and Min Jae would visit them whenever he could until Dan Su got sick, then he visited them at the hospital. They lived like that until about a month ago when..." Their manager gulped before finishing, "he was killed in a car accident on his way back to the base. The two have been on their own since then."

 

The boys were quiet, letting all the information sink in. Key immediately began to tear up slightly, realizing that this fatherless, dying little boy had one dream. That he could meet them. One by one all the boys realized the same, silently determining to make this day the best in Dan Su's short life. They were shook out of their thoughts though as their manager parked in front of the hospital.