Shards of Melting Ice

Eye of the Storm

A bit of angst everyone, but nothing too severe  . . . I think. 

And sorry if theres typos. I tried. XD


The next morning was the same as always, Chen awoke to freezing sheets and his clouds had begun to snow, Xiumin's energy merging with his again throughout the night. He tilted his head up and looked at Xiumin's sleeping face, how much he looked like a sweet little baby, his fluffy, plump cheeks more prominent. Chen usually spent the morning this way, watching Xiumin sleep until the afternoon, when the grumpy ice user would wake up and lean against him unconsciously, returning his affection. He usually admitting things while he was in his post sleep stupor, and Chen used that to his advantage. Xiumin stirred slightly, taking a deep breath before barely cracking his wide set eyes open.

"Minmin," Chen called, his voice soft.

"Hmm." Xiumin opened his eyes fully and smiled, "Chenchen." Chen could tell he was still partially sleeping.

"Is Luhan really your . . . Favorite?" He watched Xiumin's brow scrunch up in protest and he shook his head before closing his eyes again.

"Nuh uh, It's you. Mmmmm, popsicles." Chen poked the pale boy’s smooth, plump cheek and Xiumin opened his eyes slowly.

“But that’s not what you said last night. You said Luhan was your favorite. Is it really me?” Xiumin raised an eyebrow and scooted across the barely present space to press his face into Chen’s collar bone.

“It’s you Chenchen. Only you.” Chen heard Xiumin lightly snore and allowed the older to fall back asleep before slipping out of bed, among Xiumin’s protesting for his warmth to come back, and tiptoeing to the door with a smile on his face. He felt so wonderful now that he didn't have to worry. It was a relief, a weight from his shoulders. He closed the heavy black oaken door behind him and walked down the pitch black hallway, having memorized most of his way around the manor by now. He turned a corner and walked down the second hall past a few doors and unlit torches.

A little breeze followed him along the way, Chen wasn't sure by whose will, and he walked through the opening into the living room, where he met the sight of a vast black hole sitting where the couch was originally. Chen stepped back and slid to the wall to peek around the corner at the spinning vortex full of nothingness. His eyes widened as a foot passed through the opening, then another, two arms, and a face. Is that one of my brothers? His hair was a vibrant red that contrasted with his pale skin and he carried a sleeping male on his back, his face buried in the hair.

"Come on Luhan, wake up. We made it earlier than expected." That's Luhan!? Luhan raised his head and Chen swore his heart turned to mush at the sight. That was Xiumin's brother!? He was beyond beautiful, with soft looking skin, large deer-like eyes, and a smile that could raise the dead. His hair was honey brown to match his liquid golden eyes, little heart shaped lips and button nose. Chen felt his jaw tighten in contempt. He didn't want to feel so hostile, but he couldn't help it. Once he liked something, it had to be his and he wouldn’t stop trying until it was. Electricity buzzed in the air and caused his fingertips to tremble with energy. The red head set Luhan to his feet and stopped moving with his hands still against Luhan's shoulders. He can probably feel my energy, Chen thought, and I don't know how to make it go away unless I'm with Xiumin.

Chen slowly began to back up, the fear was crawling up his skin and permeating his senses; he had never been in this predicament before and he didn't know how to handle it. Before he could make it any further, his body was forcefully shoved into the back wall harshly, his body slamming against stone and his voice crying out as his spine instantly began to bruise. His eyes opened after the impact, watering slightly from the pain and too scared to call for help. He tried to scramble to his feet in order to run back to Xiumin, but the same force that pushed him the first time flung him into the wall again as Luhan and the red head, didn't Xiumin say Suho had red hair, walked through the entrance, apprehension written across their faces. Chen couldn't move, his body was in too much pain and his eyes had blurred over with tears.

"Where's Xiumin," one of them spoke menacingly, Chen felt his breath exit between his lips shallowly as his control withered.

"Luhan, stop. You're scaring him." The red head tried to speak some sense into Luhan, but the pretty male could only see red as soon as he set eyes on the male who stole his brother away for two weeks. It was annoying and unbelievable that someone could take Xiumin away for so long and even wear his clothes! How dare he! Luhan felt his powers unconsciously unleash itself and quickly drift towards Chen, only to be knocked back by a flurry of ice cold snow. His hit the ground as the snow iced over and kept him in his place. He blinked in realization that Xiumin had stopped him from doing anything else to Chen, and instead of being happy that his older brother was in perfect health, it pissed him off that Xiumin used his powers against him to protect someone they barely knew, brother or not.

 He watched Xiumin ignore both he and Suho and kneel down beside the shaking boy who was too pretty and pull him into his arms. The boy instantly curled into his body and pressed his face into Xiumin's shoulder, shivering. Electricity pulsed all around Chen, his eyes squeezed tightly as the energy rotated in a ball inside of him, spinning faster and faster until the electricity poured through the pores of his flesh and buzzed against Xiumin's skin. It stung, but Xiumin was used to being shocked by now and all he wanted was to calm the younger down so he wouldn't destroy himself and everything else.

"Shh, I promise it’s okay Chen," Xiumin murmured into the boy's hair, "Luhan didn't mean to hurt you. Its fine now, I'm here." As he spoke he shot Luhan a venomous glare.

"D-Don’t leave m-me here with him," Chen cried, tears of electricity rushing from his cerulean eyes.

"I'm sorry," Xiumin murmured, "I'll be with you from now on." Chen cried into his shoulder, shocking him over and over again. He raised his head from whispering promises and looked over at the boy sitting in a puddle of water, his lip trembling as he watched their interaction. Xiumin didn't expect him to be here with Suho and he also didn't think Luhan would be so hostile and scare Chen like that. He didn't like picking sides, but this time, Chen needed him. Luhan wasn't a baby anymore, he was the second oldest in the family and no baby face would condone what he did to Chen.

"I'll talk to you later." Hoisting Chen up into his strong arms, Xiumin carried him away and back to their his room. He set the crying child atop of snow covered blankets and helped him under, pulling away when Chen tried to pull him closer.

"S-Stay with me M-Minnie. I'm s-scared." It hurt Xiumin to see such beautiful tears caressing Chen's cheeks, but he needed to speak to Suho and tell Luhan not to be such a jerk.

"I can't right now, okay? But I'll be right outside the door. If you call for me, I'll come, but I need to talk to them and tell Luhan everything is alright. He's not usually like this so please don't think so badly of him." Chen bit his lip in disapproval, but nodded his head and pulled the covered close, electricity warming the snow and melting it into the sheets. Xiumin gave him once last look before walking out the door and slowly closing the door behind him. Suho and Luhan were waiting.

"Why are you letting him sleep in your room," Luhan hissed, his arms crossed and his baby face more manly than infant.

"Be quiet," Xiumin replied in the same manner, "I don't want Chen getting any more upset. He's not like the rest of us Luhan and you should’ve known that! He didn't grow up with mom and dad and he never knew he was different. You're supposed to accept him into our family because we're all he has, not attack him!"

"Xiumin, if you don't remember, he killed people! How can you get mad at me when I was only trying to make sure you were okay!"

"If you really cared Luhan, you wouldn't have done something so irresponsible! Chen has no control, one wrong fuse and he could accidentally destroy this entire hemisphere and himself! I know him, he isn't some killer! It was an accident and it’s not right to judge him because of it!"

"SO YOU'RE JUST GOING TO FORGIVE THE FACT THAT HE KILLED PEOPLE!?" Before Xiumin could freeze Luhan and break him into unrecognizable pieces, Suho stepped in and pushed them apart; they had been dangerously inching closer to one another with their hands balled into fists.

"Calm down. Both of you." Xiumin released the breath he didn't know he was holding and looked away.

"Xiumin, how has he been since you found him? Does he seem dangerous in any way?" Xiumin zoned his orbs on Suho and then dropped his gaze to the floor.

"No. He's been sweet and kind and clingy to me. There's not one place I can go without him being with me and he acts more childish than anything. He actually reminds me of you," Xiumin looked towards Luhan, "When our energies merge, I can feel everything he's feeling and I know he feels safe with me and here, where he belongs. I understand if Halmoni and Haraboji are skeptical about him and they may want to meet him, but I won't let that happen. Chen's been through enough as it is." Suho sighed as he took in Xiumin's account, already well aware of what was happening. He could tell by the pleading look in Xiumin's eyes that there was much more than brotherly love he held for Chen. He had found his one; the last member of their family, the one he had patiently waited for all this time. The red haired male smile small, a look that brightened his beautiful face and reached a hand up to push his bangs from his face.

"Then I guess we have no choice but to welcome our new brother. The others will be here a lot sooner than we took and when they come, we'll have a family meeting. Luhan," Suho turned his elderly gaze at the sad looking male and gave him ‘the look.’

"Apologize to Chen when we're one. You need to keep you're jealousy in check, I heard Sehun finds that sort of thing annoying." The Guardian of the EXO household walked away from the scene coolly, leaving the two brothers in his wake, leaving them to fix their own problem.

"Luhan," Luhan shook his head and turned away.

"This is exactly what I was afraid of."

"Luhan, wait," Xiumin called yet no one was listening. Luhan quickly ran down the hall and turned the corner, his white clad form disappearing into the darkness, probably to his room. There was no point in following when he knew Luhan would shut him out with a flash of silver energy.

Why did he have to come and steal my brother away from me?

They hate me. I knew I should’ve left. I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere. It’s not right for me to be with Xiumin. I don’t want to come in between him and his family . . . even if . . . I love him.

 

Even if he’s my angel.

Chen dove deeper into the covered, his entire body trembling as he cried even more, completely crushed. Xiumin's scent was rich and full of sweet apples and mangos. It smelt so good that Chen felt the smell lull him away, away from here into a plane of equally sweet dreams as the sun reached it's peak in the new day.

 

/

Xiumin trailed down the deserted tunnel of a hall and passed the symbols embedded in the stone wall. The winding path continued to twist and turn out of focus, an elaborate labyrinth of twisting halls and dark passages left unexplored by most of them, but Xiumin had been down these halls before, a long time ago, and he could still find his way. He walked with sure steps, his eyes closed since it was dark in the first place and keeping his large eyes open would do nothing to aid him in finding his favorite room. Xiumin sighed as he twisted around the sixth corner and finally came to a solid dead end with two doors, one on the right and one on the left. He didn’t hesitate, walking to the door on the right and turning the knob with his small, cold fingers. The door was much older than the rest of the house put together and creaked open slowly, Xiumin having to press his frozen white energy into the door to give it the extra push it needed.

The door opened and the dark room loomed forward, so inviting that Xiumin entered without a second thought. The room lit itself the moment his energy tumbled inside, a cold white mist swarming around the abandoned room and touching everything in its wake, absorbing centuries of old unadulterated energy. His parents’ room was still perfect even after all of these millennium. The sheets still smelled of rose like his mother on one side and of the oak his father cut down to build the first foundations of the house on the other. No matter how long he stayed in a shower, after a few hundred years, the smell had stuck and grown on all of them except for those who weren’t around for their passing. Xiumin smiled as he saw the dresser his father had carved for his mother out of the very tree that gave them life. It glowed against the dull grey stone and still looked brand new, as if it could still breathe while unattached to the tree. It was beyond any furniture Xiumin had ever seen before, but that was not why he was here. Brushing his fingers along the edge of the bed as he passed it, Xiumin walked over to the small glass door that led to the most special room out of all in the entire manor.

The small male pressed his hand to the crystal doorknob and turned it slowly, as if he could break the delicate knob with his fingers. The door opened easily even after being kept closed for such a long time. Before entering, Xiumin pulled his ring from his finger, the snowflake shimmering brightly as energy rushed to it from the open door. He shoved the ring into his pocket and entered into the darkness, walking a few steps before sitting with his chin pressed to his knees. His eyes watered in anticipation when the thing he came to see came into view, shining, glowing, vast.

The star his father had caught for his mother the night he was born still shone so bright, yet to die, yet to age in this worm hole of a room. Xiumin watched the star dazzle under his eyes and drift close enough to see in full but far enough for him not to touch. That very had star had been what sustained his mother long enough for her to give birth to him, had been the reason she had lived for so long alongside their father and brought life to so many.

“Mom,” Xiumin spoke to the star like he used to after he realized his mother would never truly be there again, “I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve come and seen you, but so many things have happened and I don’t know what to do.” He heaved a deep sigh, glad he could finally vent about the inner turmoil taking place inside.

“We found another piece of our family; I’m sure you know but in case you didn’t I wanted to tell you. His name is Chen and I know if you were still here you’d love him so much. He’s beautiful, like you and like Luhan, and his heart is so kind. I doubt he could hurt a fly being the way he is. But he’s already killed innocent people without having any control. What can I do for him to be okay? I know that staying with him will never be enough, he hasn’t had the training we all had from dad, and he’s scared. It hurts to watch him be so happy with a cloud hanging over his head from his past mistakes. I wish I knew why he wasn’t born here like the rest of us. What happened to him for him not to know he was one of us? Why didn’t he grow up with us? With me? Mom, do you know? I wish you were still here so you could answer me, but it’s okay. It might even be better that I don’t know and that I focus on the now.”

“Luhan is mad at me,” Xiumin began again, talking to the revolving star, “He thinks I’m choosing Chen over him. He thinks I’m replacing him and it isn’t fair. It’s not fair when I’m always the one replaced. When Luhan was born, he looked up to me, he followed me around like a pet deer and I was always there. When Kris and Suho were born, Luhan liked to have people to take care of and Kris was my best friend. Suho was like a son to me, ironic, I know. And as soon as Lay was born, he was gone and I found myself alone again. Baekhyun and Chanyeol never needed me when they had each other, you always babied Kyungsoo and for a while I was okay being alone. But then Kai came along and he and Kyungsoo were like twins, and then came the twins and then it hit me.

Kris left.

Luhan had Sehun now.

And all I had was you.

And then you died and left me all alone.

Why can’t I finally have somebody when everyone else does? Why can’t I be happy when I’ve been crying for years? Don’t I deserve this mom? I do, right? I d-deserved to be loved j-just like everybody else!” The star drifted a fraction of an inch closer and Xiumin felt the heat draw closer as well. He wiped away his luke-warm tears and lay his head against his knees sideways so he could look at the star for a while longer.

“I never knew,” a soft voice spoke from behind Xiumin. He already knew who it was so there was no point in turning around. Every few seconds he would sniffle and Suho walked up to him and sat down beside him, “I never knew this was how you really felt.”

“Because, I-I didn’t want any of you to. I didn’t want anyone to be worried. And don’t be. I’ll be fine.”

“No, Luhan is acting immature. You can do anything that you want Xiumin, so if you want to love Chen, go ahead and do it. We’ve all be so selfish towards you. It’s finally your turn to be happy; it’s long overdue.

 

 

 

^^ Family meeting next chapter