Part II - Pheonix Rising

Gods Of the East On the Rise

Chapter 15

 

A full week had gone by without incident.  The leader had healed back to his normal face with no lasting aftereffects save for a good sense of humor and renewed zest to perform as a five member group.  Aside from a slight vein of tension between the eldest and youngest members, the five original members of DBSK were working toward a common goal with energy and determination abounding.

It all started with Junsu’s plan.  Yunho had to be a little thankful that JYJ moved in a different circle for a few years.  He wasn’t sure Xiah would have been able to spread his wings and flourish as broadly being locked into the group.  Somehow being forced to survive on talent without big named management dictating the schedule had given JYJ’s maknae great perspective. That first night they came home to Yunho and the plan lain out at the table, attitudes changed.  All of the sudden, to Jaejoong, Yoochun’s crazy ideas were sheer genius.  He was sure Yunho and Changmin would be as excited about the prospective plan as Yoochun was.  After dinner it seemed like a good idea that they hold a meeting and discuss business.

 

Five men sat around the kitchen table – each equipped with a notebook, writing instruments and any other accoutrements that were necessary.  It was all very professional, with Jaejoong the self-appointed moderator.  For the first time in a long while there were no verbal objections.  Changmin held himself a bit guarded, which did not go unnoticed. However, Yunho flashed him a calm smile and nodded.  It reassured the maknae that there was no perceived threat, so he shouldn’t make trouble.

“Yunho talked about Junsu’s concepts during dinner.  We all agree he has our support and should continue development.”  Jaejoong stood behind Junsu proudly.  He took a step to the left, clapping his hands on Yoochun’s shoulders.  “Chun-ah also has some surprises for us.”

Yoochun looked up at Jae in total disbelief.  “Hyung, you laughed at my idea.  You actually fell to the floor in a fit of hysterics.”

Jaejoong blushed.  “I was so overwrought with emotion all night.  Finding Yunho safe and you asleep at a desk was such a relief…”

Changmin couldn’t resist rolling his eyes.  He had forgotten how much of a drama queen the oldest member could be.  The leader caught this little reaction and frowned fiercely at him.  Changmin glared back before giving the other members his undivided attention.

“Tell them what you’ve got in mind,” Jaejoong urged Yoochun on.

“Well...” He looked at each of the members as they leaned in toward him waiting to hear his thoughts.  “It’s just a small bit of the whole.  It’s for the fans really.”

There were smiles and nods all around.  If it weren’t for the fans, not single one of them would be where they were today.  Each and every one of them knew that Cassiopeia was the life’s blood of their professional existence.  Doing something special within the performance would be the ultimate tribute.

“I thought it would be fun for us,” he gestured to the three members of JYJ, “to perform a TVXQ 2 song.”  He looked to Yunho hopefully.

What could be said?  There was more information needed.  Yunho did, however, jot down a thought.  Soon Junsu, Jaejoong and Yoochun were staring at him, awaiting some reaction.

“Continue,” Yunho prompted calmly.

“I thought you two might be interested in performing a JYJ song.”

Changmin leaped up, slamming his hands on the table.  Before he could say or do anything further, Yunho’s hand reached out finding purchase on the maknae’s forearm.  The grip was firm yet reassuring.

“Sit down, Min, and hear him out.”

Changmin did as instructed.  Yunho made another note while waiting for Yoochun to continue.  When he looked up, he saw the uncertainty in Chun’s eyes.

It was Jaejoong who nudged him.  “Continue, Chun-ah.  You’re ideas are good.”

Yoochun looked from Yunho to Changmin.  Even though the maknae seemed upset at the concept, it was the leader’s sincere smile and nod of acceptance that made him finish.

“There are many ways we can go about doing this.  There could also be group arrangements of at least two songs from each ‘branch’ culminating in the song “W”.

Three of them were now making notes while Changmin folded his arms across his chest.  He was thinking how he’d have a few choice words with Yunho once they were alone in their room.

“Min, do you have any of your own concepts you’d like to share?”  Jaejoong caught the youngest member off guard.

Yunho was very aware of the ego struggle taking place.  As leader, it was his duty to keep the peace and dole out the discipline as needed.  “Changmin has many concepts.  He hasn’t narrowed it down to anything he’s prepared to share.”

Jae narrowed his eyes and shrewdly surveyed the two men.  He was pretty sure Changmin had nothing as yet.

“There is one thing I know for sure,” Changmin smirked.

“And what would that be?”

“I do not want to dance in any accessory that weighs more than seven kilos!”

Yunho erupted in laughter.  The other three were dumbfounded.

“It’s a legitimate concern,” Changmin argued.

Yunho was able to control his laughter enough to reassure the maknae that he totally agreed with him.  But Jaejoong ambushed the leader too.  And while Yunho hadn’t planned on presenting any ideas, he had been thinking about what he personally could perform as a solo.

“I guess I’m being pretty selfish and thinking about what I could perform as a solo…which segues nicely into  or out of Yoochun’s ideas.  We each need to decide on what we want to showcase.  Junsu and Joongie have had successful solo albums.  Yoochun has written some good songs.  Changmin and I have a repertoire to choose from.  I think we should think about those choices.”  Yunho finished by making more notes.

“Well, I myself suggest we do a set of a capella songs.  Although for the constraints of time, it might have to be a medley,” Jaejoong said with a hint of disappointment. 

Now everyone was writing something.  A lot of brainstorming was happening.  Ideas flowed, questions were pondered and nothing could be off-limits. 

“I’d just like to say one thing,” Yunho announced as hands did less writing and contented signs filled the air.  “We should take the next day or two and compile a list of songs that we want to perform.”

Junsu raised his hand.

“This isn’t school,” Changmin teased.

“I didn’t want to interrupt his train of thought.”

“Go ahead,” Yunho shrugged.

“We’re going to sing in Korean AND Japanese, right?”

“And English, if we choose.”

“Daebak!”  Junsu couldn’t contain his excitement.

Yoochun raised his hand, but nobody took him seriously.

“But I have a question!”

“No, there will be no BAMBAYA!”

“We should probably solidify our thoughts by the end of the week so that no more time is wasted.  We can give a general plan to the executive producers and then work on a productive schedule.

And that’s how Dong Bang Shink Ki reunited into a strong front. They spent all of their non-rehearsal time coordinating segments of the show so that once management was on board, everyone else involved could get to work.  Time, all of the sudden, felt like it was passing quickly.  There was a lot to be done in a very short span.