Who is he? Who is she?

Deluders

6th August, 11pm

NICOLE POV
I decided to drive back to that narrow road again. I was much more careful this time that I didn’t knock onto anyone or anything. I stopped when I saw the man again. I walked towards him much closer this time. I could feel him breathing, the short and painful breathes. I had to save him.

_________________________________________________________________________________

7th August 2009

The wedding was just a small event. Only Jonghyun’s parents, relatives and close friends came, as well as Jessica’s. It all went smooth but Jonghyun had noticed that Jessica was constantly tearing up.

Jonghyun POV
While I was greeting the guests who had came, I overheard a conversation Jessica had with my mum.
“Awww…why are you crying Jessica? You must be really really happy to be with Jonghyun right?”
“Yeah..of course”
It was a weak reply though.. or was I only being insecure? She had all her friends and families here, she must be happy. Then Jessica’s mum came up to us. I bowed and greeted her with a smile.
Jessica’s mum hugged her tightly. With her hands holding Jessica’s shoulders, she asked.
“Jessica, I didn’t see Key the whole day.. I’ve missed him so much. Have you seen him? Where is he?”

“Key?” I asked.
 Who is he? I wondered to myself and remained silent.

Jessica immediately interrupted her mum who was about to answer me,
“ I think he must have something on..”

Her mum had given me a shock expression as if she expected me to know him. As if he was someone I have to know if I know Jessica. I could sense the uncertainty coming back to me again. How well do I really know Jessica?
________________________________________________________________________________

Nicole POV
“Nurse, how is he?”
“Fortunately, he did not suffer any brain damage. However, his legs were knocked hard and he needs to go through some operation and also intensive treatment for it.”
I nodded.
“Are you his wife?”
“Oh erm no..i am…” I wasn’t sure how to tell the nurse but before I could, she interrupted me.
“These are his belongings.”
When the nurse handed over his belongings, I felt a sense of responsibility for this man..
although I don’t even know who he is.
I saw a red box and inside was a beautiful ring. I couldn’t imagine what the ring was for. Is he engaged? Was he going to propose someone? All I knew was that I had ruined and damaged a person’s life.
I finally got his personal details and figured that he is an orphan who lives alone.
I wasn’t sure if it was an act of sympathy or the responsibility that I felt after the accident, I covered all his hospital bills right there and then.

______________________________________________________________________________

Jonghyun POV
“Our new home!”
I gave my brightest smile to Jessica. She closely examined the house and the new furnitures.
“It’s nice. You bought all of this yourself Hyun?”
“Yes..with the help of my family too.”
Looking at her so happy, I couldn’t let her know the truth.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Nicole POV
I had a quick lunch and rushed back to the ward to see if he was awake. Unexpectedly, I saw a man in smart wear next to his bed. I stepped back and listened to their serious conversation.

“I think the company is not going to invest their money for you. At your state now, I don’t think you would be able to give profit to the company any time soon either. You need to fully recover and then we can talk about this again.”

“And if I do recover, can you guarantee me that I’ll get it back?”

“I can’t guarantee you Key. I’m sorry. But I hope you do get well soon and play waterski again. Till then,  I’ll see you around.”

The man in tux had already left the ward. The guilt in me kept growing. The damage I have done to him was unbearable. How was I going to face him and tell him I was the one who had knocked him down?
_________________________________________________________________________

Jessica POV
I tried to call Key but he didn’t pick up. I left 12 missed calls. Maybe he had decided to stay out of my life entirely. Certainly, I was disappointed he had not attend the wedding when the one person that I needed most was just him. At times I wonder if I was the one who have hurt him. Maybe I was the one who disappoint him first, for marrying Jonghyun. Or maybe not. He clearly didn’t love me more than a friend.

“It’s impossible for me to love you.”
Those words kept replaying in my head. He clearly didn’t love me.
_________________________________________________________________________

Nicole POV
I took up the courage to enter the ward. Luckily I hadn’t damage his face. He was good-looking. He have milky skin tone and pinkish lips. His eyes never left mine. It was only the two of us in the ward and only my footsteps can be heard.

“Thank you,” he spoke “ The nurse told me you were the one who called the ambulance. So thank you, once again, for saving me”
I nod my head. Then, he continued.
“I’ve told the police that I couldn’t recall who had knocked me down. If you had witnessed the accident, do contact them.”
I was speechless. Should I tell him that I was the one?
I swallowed my saliva.
“And the nurse told me you’ve been accompanying me since the accident. I don’t wish to burden you anymore so you can leave whenever..”
I interrupted him, “No, it’s okay. You don’t have to worry about me. I’ll accompany you for your treatments or surgery too. If you need anything, I’ll be here.”
I stood up and took the box containing his belongings.
“These things are yours.”
I also returned him the red box. He took it and slowly looked at the ring again. Then, he carefully placed it back inside the box.
Well maybe I don’t have to tell him.