The Calm Before the Storm

Crash and Burn

I keep using really cliché titles and the like, but I really don't put much effort into the titles.. It's rather just an inconvenience when I decide to throw a chapter up.

I wonder if I should get or make a banner? Personally, I just find them a distraction from the story, although they are beautiful. What does everyone think? Not that a lot of people read this, but it makes me happy.

I think I'll update the foreward with quotes or something. As it is, it seems rather undescriptive and cold. Honestly, though, forewards don't take place in most novels, and mine isn't long enough to really warrant one. If there's no plagarism on here anyways, why is it called a foreward and not a preface?

On with the story!


 

“Uh.. Oh! Sorry!” Nadel exclaimed groggily, yet sheepishly as she woke up, they had arrived at her apartment complex.

Ji-hoon chuckled “Oh, it's fine!”

Nadel hastily unbuckled her seat belt, and went to exit the vehicle. When Ji-hoon called out to her, she looked back at him with half-lidded eyes, still tired with sleep, her hand on the door handle.

“I know your brother would shoot me if I told you this. But, if you really want to find out about your brother, I can pick you up at six tomorrow. If you're anything like your brother, you won't believe anything unless you see for yourself.” He told her, slightly on edge, almost as if he were looking around his shoulder for Adam to appear and chastise him for inviting her.

He visibly relaxed when Nadel smiled at him. “Thank you, Ji-hoon-ssi, for everything. I would very much like to find out more about my brother.” She accepted his invitation. “See you tomorrow.” She told him before closing the door and heading to her apartment.

Nadel moved slowly into the apartment, as Ji-hoon sped off behind her. She quickly opened the door and wove her way to her bedroom, she slipped off her pants and fell asleep in just her shirt and undergarments.

 

 

It was late the next morning when Nadel woke again. She was groggy, but still methodically went about taking care of her hygenic needs. After exiting her bathroom, she patt her stomach hungrily, looking for some breakfast.

Nadel twitched. Yesterday she may have left in too much haste. She had no food, and barely anything to make food with. She had the basics, a stove, a fridge, a kimchi freezer. She didn't even have a rice-cooker, something she assumed was a staple in Korea.

Nadel had intended on taking these things from her brothers house, but after she had arrived, the thought left her mind completely. Besides, she rationalized, those things weren't all that important, and she figured Ji-hoon would have gotten rid of them. It seemed as though all of Adams important posessions were in the shop anyways, and it would be hit or miss if Adam even had them in the first place. He was never much of a cook. Obvisously, she had been more tired then she realized when she was making her plans yesterday.

Getting dressed in a pale sundress, she grabbed a brown bag and headed out for a late breakfast before going shopping. She had sold some of her posessions before leaving to Seoul. She had ended the rental on her apartment, and instead bought a small storage unit for her most prized posessions. This left her with the storage rental payed for, and a relative sum of cash that would serve her until her first paycheck.

Entering a street stall near her apartment, she ordered an unfirmilar chicken dish, and then pulled out a small notebook and pen from her bag, she sat in silence and ate, making a list of the things she would need to buy in order to live comfortably.

She paid, plus a little extra, as well as bowing to the employees on her departure. She figured just because it wasn't custom to tip, it was something she had grown up doing as a sign of respect. She felt rather hard-headed, still following her old customs, but assumed she would be given a little lee-way because she was a foreigner.

It took her a while to find a store that sold the appliances she was looking for. It took her half an hour, even with the directions of a young student, who was obviously ditching school. She talked with the manager, and left with the large boxes in tow, despite the middle aged employee offering to deliver them to her. Something about the man made her feel uncomfortable, and so she opted to carry them herself.

When she returned home, her muscles were sore, and she wanted nothing better than to lay on the couch and read a book. However, she still set up the appliances and made sure they were in good condition. The man at the store told her that she could take them back if they weren't any good, but Nadel had her suspicions that he would deny having ever sold the items to her. She hoped it was a bad sterotype, a social prejudice that she had brought with her to Korea, but wasn't taking chances anyways.

Finally, by mid-afternoon, all of her appliances were set up. She then spent a half hour on the couch, and watching some korean television on the TV provided, an older television, about 14” in size. She was hungry soon enough, however, and once again exited the building, intent on grocery shopping.

She entered a small grocery market, and grabbed a basket, making her way through the crowded isles, buying food that appealed to her. She was careful to stick mostly to the basics, as she had trouble reading some of the hand-written sale signs that were in front of the items. She quickly paid and left, walking quickly back to her apartment.

By late afternoon she was well fed and content, although tired. She contemplated calling up the store and telling Ji-hoon she couldn't make it, but then rememered she didn't have the phone number, nor a proper phone to call from. She grudgingly got ready, in her favourite pair of black slacks, that showed off her assets just right, and a dressy top that accentuated her bust, not enough to look cheap, but enough to say that she was naturally more busty then most Asian women. The top was still conservative enough that it wouldn't be innapropriate, or so she hoped. 

At five after six, Nadel watched Ji-hoon pull up in a car that was far, far nicer than the one she was driven home in yesterday. She circled round the back and noticed extra exhaust pipes out the back, and a decent sized spoiler. The body of the car proudly said 'Supra' but she doubted the internal workings were the same as the store-bought models. The body of the car was unusually close to the ground, and she wondered if she would be too heavy to fit.

She got in the vehicle, and even before greeting him said “Am I too heavy for the car?” She asked cautiously.

“Hello to you, too.” He chuckled, and said “Unless you're heavier then your brother, you'll be good.” Nadel was content with that response.

Ji-hoon hit the accelerator and quickly started through the streets of Seoul. Even though Nadel had rode in fast vehicles with her brother before, she doubted that this man had the same care for her safety, and she quickly buckled her seat belt, watching the buildings fly past her. 


And so ends another exciting chapter, not really. The introduction is almost done, and Minho will be introduced soon, so rejoice!