Chapter Two - A Talk Over Coffee

The Mysterious Life

"Wake up!" I knocked wildly at my roommate's door.

 

"What Mira...what time is it?" she rolled over and pulled her comforter above her head.

 

"Nine." I pulled the blanket back revealing a broken body and a mess of blonde hair.

 

"Nine?! Are you crazy?" she rolled over and squinted her eyes as sunlight poured on top of her. "What are you doing so early?"

 

"I have a date." I went over to the mirror on her wall and fixed my hair.

 

"Who has a date at nine in the morning?" she mumbled, pulling the blanket back around her.

 

"I do. With Taemin." I sighed.

 

"Oh, with flower boy?" she sat up.

 

"So you wake up when you find out I'm going out to meet Taemin." I smiled.

 

"He's hot." she grinned.

 

"You can't have him." I mocked.

 

"Neither can you!" she sang back.

 

"Yeah don't rub it in." I stuck out my tongue and returned to the mirror.

 

"Who called the date?" she yawned.

 

"He did." I shrugged.

 

"What does he want at nine in the morning?"

 

"Who knows?" I smirked.

 

"God, I can't figure that boy out." I saw her laugh through the mirror.

 

"Neither can I, Luna. Neither can I."

 

"So I guess I have to make myself food?" she pouted and stood, slightly wobbling from sleepiness. 

 

"Because it's too much for Princess Luna to take a box of artificial marshmallows and stale grain puffs and dump them into a bowl, then splash some milk on top?" 

 

"Yes." she nodded and walked over.

 

"Tough your highness." I broke into laughter and headed into the hall.

 

"Where are you two meeting?"

 

"At some coffee shop." I grabbed my coat and swung my arms into the sleeves.

 

"How romantic. Try not to get knocked up." she waved.

 

"I'll try, honey." I always enjoyed Luna's and my humor. It was dry, yes. Cracked and rough around the edges but it lifted our spirits...or whatever emotions we had. Being two virtually broke university students wasn't a walk in the park. Microwave meals every night; I'd bet my cholesterol was higher than a brainiac's SAT score. But hey, we got through it.

 

I briskly walked down the many blocks to the coffee shop I was a to. As I got closer I could feel my Taemin senses tingling. I'm serious...I had Taemin senses. He was that strong.

 

"Well hello there." He looked me over.

 

"Hey, don't be staring at my body Lee Taemin." I playfully pushed his shoulder.

 

"I wish I looked half as good." he chuckled then bent his elbow, motioning me to loop mine through. I did and he walked me into the cafe. "Usual?" he sat me at a table and started towards the counter.

 

"We've had coffee once." I shook my head. "But yes...my "usual"." He always had a way to brighten the atmosphere. For some reason he always knew how to make people forget what they were thinking and focus on him. Five out of four girls he walked past took a twelve take just to make sure they weren't dreaming, hallucinating, or check to make sure they still weren't high from the crack they smoked the night before. Let me tell you though. Looking at Lee Taemin was far more intoxicating than any joint or blunt or whatever those crack call that nowadays. Looking at this kid was like inhaling a whiff of gasoline and having an at once. I mean it. When god was putting this guy together, he really was having a good day. Too bad he's-

 

"So I broke the ice with my new boyfriend last night." he returned with two lattes in hand.

 

"By broke the ice..." I waved my hand.

 

"I stuck my up his ." he smiled sweetly.

 

"That's what you call breaking the ice?" I said slowly, afraid to take a sip of my coffee, only afraid his next comment would make me spit it across the room.

 

"Mira. Come on. I'm joking." he chugged half his java down.

 

"So who's this new guy?" Like I was even interested. Taemin went through so many men, you'd think he was a wild animal mating with the first breathing creature he saw, with a of course.

 

"He's...amazing." his eyes sparkled.

 

"Six incher?" I finally took a sip of my drink.

 

"He's hot...but I'm not talking about that this time, Mira. He...he gets me."

 

"That's great Taemin!" I patted his hand. "That's all you wanted to tell me?"

 

"No...I need you to do something with me."

 

"What. I'm not going to pick out lingerie again." I rolled my eyes.

 

"No...you need to go with me somewhere." his voice lowered.

 

"Where..."

 

"This...bar."

 

"At nine thirty in the morning?" I looked at him like he had two heads.

 

"I'm being questioned...for being a witness to a murder last night." I choked on my coffee.

 

"What?! You witnessed a murder last night and you call me here to tell me about a new buddy?"

 

"First...he's not a buddy. He's a genuine guy...and second; well I didn't exactly witness a murder but I saw the chick who did it."

 

"Chick...?" I tilted my head to the side.

 

"Yeah...this chick killed an old ajussi last night."

 

"Let's just get out of here." I stood and pushed in my chair.