Chapter 6

Turned

When we arrived at the nurse’s office Minho set me down in a chair in the waiting room and approached the desk. He returned with an ice pack and news that ‘she would be with us in a moment.’ Just as he was about to say something the speaker on the wall came to life.

“Choi Minho, report to the principal’s office immediately.” It boomed.

“…what did I do now?” Minho questioned, not at me I assumed. “Will you be alright on your own? I don’t want to leave you but my Dad doesn’t like to be kept waiting.” I could see what I thought was a flicker of fear in his eyes as he looked at me.

“Of course, I’m fine. Go.” He took off without another word.

Ten minutes passed and the nurse still hadn’t come out to see me. Smoke break I presumed, when the bell rang signifying lunch. I tried to stand up but very quickly decided that was a bad idea when the world began to spin. As I sat down I heard the door open and looked up to see Key.

“Taemin! Oh gosh, are you okay?” He cooed. “Let me have a look.” He gently took the ice pack off my bleeding face. Hot pain immediately began to swell up in my cheek and I grabbed the ice pack again before it began to throb too badly, the ice relieving some of the pain. “Well I don’t think you broke anything, so there’s that. That’s going to bruise nice though.” Key reached into his backpack and pulled out a small heart shaped zipper pouch. He ped it and rummaged through the contents, pulling out a card of what appeared to be exactly what I needed.

“Drugs?’ he offered.

“Hell yes.” Key cracked two tablets out for me and unscrewed the lid to his water bottle. I downed them both I one go, eager for the effects to kick in.

“Think you up for some lunch?” Key inquired, zipping up his bag and slinging it on his back. I nodded and we headed for the cafeteria.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Jonghyun and Onew finished their expected freak out at my messed up face we settled into our routine of chicken burgers, banana milk and, of course, talking . Naturally, Key was best at this.

“OK, but did you hear about that teacher at the primary school that was pinching money from other staff members? Apparently she wouldn’t take all of it so they wouldn’t notice.”

Onew gawked at Key. “For real? What was she even doing with the money?”

“Apparently she has a gambling problem.” Jonghyun added, mouth full of chicken. Just as I was about to take another bite of my burger, the door to the cafeteria swung open, it was Minho. To say he was dishevelled was an understatement. The top few buttons of his shirt were open and the collar was half sticking up. His hair was pushed entirely over to one side, as though it had been grabbed. Most notably though, was the busted lip he was sporting and even though it had been cleaned up it was still noticeable. I apologised to my friends, standing from my seat quickly and heading straight for Minho.

I put a hand on his shoulder. “Hey, are you okay?” He jerked himself from my touch with such force it shocked me. “I’m fine.” He stormed off, towards the line for food. The reasonable thing to do in this situation is to let the person go. You know, maybe let them cool down from whatever fresh hell they’ve just lived though. But this is me. So obviously I followed him.

“Minho, wait!” Jogging to keep up, I tried not to lose him in the long line of students still trying to get their lunch. “Minho!” Damn it, lost him. Just as all hope was nearly gone, I spotted him making a beeline straight for the far exit, tinfoil wrapped sandwich in hand. I followed him out into the hallway.

“Minho, stop!” He spun around, wild look in his eyes.

“What the ever loving do you want?”

“I just want to know if you okay. You look like something happened. Is everything okay with your Dad? Is there something I ca-“

“No, its fine. Nothing happened.” He sighed, deeply. “Please just leave me alone.” The look in his eyes was one of deep sorrow. So I persisted, knowing it was probably a bad idea.

“You know you can talk to me, ju-“

“Taemin, don’t.” Minho warned. “Just drop it.”

“I just want to hel-“

“For s sake, Taemin! Take a hint!” Minho spat, turning to walk away. “I don’t want your help, stop acting like you know anything about me!” Those words stung, like a dagger right through my chest and as he disappeared around the corner I fell to my knees, tears threatening to fall.

 

 

----------------------------

 

Hey guysssss,, those of you left after all this time...

so its been about 4 years since i updated this fic....remembered it the other day and decided to have another go at finishing it. i have the story mapped out so its just a matter of me actually writing it....anyway, hope you enjoy the spontaneous chapter!!! xxx