The Misunderstanding

Random K-Pop Oneshots

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephanie and Daehyun had been dating for quite a while, but because Daehyun was an idol, it was almost impossible for them not to be in the public eye, that also meant that everything Daehyun did was in the public eye. But would the two that like each other a lot let one simple misunderstanding come between them and ultimately tear them apart?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Stephanie, you have it all wrong,” Daehyun pleaded with her. “I didn’t do anything with her.”

            “Then why is everyone saying that you did?” Stephanie asked in anger. “Why are there photos and videos of you being with her? I waited for you that night. I waited for you to come back here so I can spend time with you, so I could ask about your day. I want to feel like we’re in an actual relationship.”

            Stephanie was beyond angry. There were no words to describe the feelings that she was feeling inside. She was hurt and upset that Daehyun would just forget about their meeting together, considering they already had little time to spend with one another already. Instead, Daehyun went out to hang out with one of his other actress friends and now people were saying that he and Stephanie had broken up or that Daehyun was a cheater.

            Either way, it didn’t feel good to Stephanie, despite not directly being in the news, besides her name as Daehyun’s girlfriend. The fans all knew about their relationship with one another and they, over time, learned to accept it, but now, now they were in an uproar and Stephanie didn’t fully know whether it was about her for being an insufficient girlfriend to Daehyun or because of Daehyun’s cheating rumors. Frankly, she didn’t care much.

            “You don’t feel like you’re in a relationship?” Daehyun asked somewhat shocked by the statement.

            “I don’t,” Stephanie said shaking her head. “You’re always away doing work, which I completely understand, but sometimes, is it too much just to text me a little message while you’re on your break or call me when you’re moving locations? Is it too much to think about me once in a while?” Stephanie wanted those messages to let her know that he was thinking about her as much as she was thinking about him. Even though she knew that she could send those messages, Stephanie never did because she always thought that it would somehow disrupt his work. She always waited for him to call first, but it seemed like it wasn’t a good idea.

            “I think about you all the time,” Daehyun said reaching out for her arm, but she immediately pulled away. That’s how Daehyun got the idea that she must be really angry at him. “Steph, you’re on my mind all of the time. It hurts me that I can’t see you as often as I wish. If I could, I would spend my every waking moment with you.”

             That was the truth. Daehyun knew that sometimes he neglected his obligation as a good boyfriend, but he wanted to make it up to Stephanie, he figured that he would have to make it up to her somehow. She was angry and he wasn’t entirely sure what irrational decision she would be making next.

            “Daehyun,” Stephanie said seriously looking at him. She hadn’t used the word oppa, which let Daehyun know that it was very serious business that they were about to step into. Still, he let her continue. “Just because you think of me doesn’t mean that we’re in a relationship and it’s making no real effort towards actually being in a relationship. Maybe you should be with her. Then at least your schedules would match each other.”

            Stephanie was serious. She had actually been thinking about it for the longest time. She wondered what would happen if Daehyun were to date another idol or an actress, or at least someone that was in the entertainment business, but maybe that would prove to be too difficult, but it didn’t matter. Stephanie figured that that would be better than dating a regular person like her.

            “Stephanie,” Daehyun said in an attempt to make one last effort as Stephanie began making her way towards the door. “Please…”

            “Please what?” Stephanie asked turning to face him. “Do you want me to stay? Do you want me to ignore the fact that this thing happened, move on, and act like we’re just a happy couple of everyone? I’m sorry, but I can’t do that.”

            Daehyun looked at Stephanie. He couldn’t believe that she was saying those words, just because of pictures that even looked like they were photoshopped. It was true that he spent the time with the girl, and it was true that they got a little too close to each other for Stephanie’s own comfort, but it meant nothing. Daehyun had attempted to explain that to Stephanie, but she would have none of it. Either way, she wouldn’t listen to him about it, there were pictures and he even admitted to doing some of the things, there was no way that Daehyun was going to get out of that one.

            “Stephanie, please,” Daehyun said as he pleaded once more with the first hint of tears forming in his eyes. Stephanie was also doing her best to keep back her tears. She was tired of everything, honestly. She was tired of being referred to as Daehyun’s girlfriend and she was tired of never being able to see her boyfriend and him always being away. She understood that he was an idol and had schedules, but sometimes it got too tiring. He was never there when she needed him and she was beginning to get sick of it. The both of them started coming to the realization that that event might have been the one to push their relationship over the edge and to the ending point faster than expected.

            “We’ve pretended to be happy for long enough. We should just say that we broke up and that you’re going out with that other girl. That would solve both of our problems, now wouldn’t it?” Stephanie asked in her best attempt to stay strong as she left his bedroom. It was hard for her, saying those words to Daehyun, but she figured that they needed to be said. At one point in their lives, they were probably going to come to the point where their paths separated and they would have to leave each other. Neither one of them imagined it being at that point in time.

            Slowly, Stephanie ventured out of the house and closed the front door and leaned against it. She didn’t want to do anything or go anywhere. It felt like all of the energy had been drained out of her body just by that one thing. She had put up with Daehyun and his antics for long enough.

            It wasn’t that he was a player, it was more like a lot of girls came up to him and he didn’t push them away…so maybe he was a player then. Whatever Daehyun was, Stephanie was done with it. There was just too much going on and she was unable to do anything about it anymore.

            In his bedroom, Daehyun sat down on his bed. He couldn’t believe that Stephanie could just break up with him like that. Just out of nowhere because of a couple of rumors that weren’t true. Daehyun liked Stephanie. Stephanie was his girlfriend; he would never cheat on her. The breakup was too sudden and Daehyun wasn’t prepared for it. Taking  couple of deep breaths to calm down his pounding heart, he took off towards the front door after Stephanie.