Chapter 5: But if it isn't one then would it be the other?

Wellingtons
The bell rang, signalling the end of the boring history period and the start of physical education. All of them fled the classroom like ants meeting water. All of them except for Daniel and Simon. Simon, as usual, did what he wanted and it so happens that today he felt the extra need to sleep. Daniel, on the other hand, tried to keep himself from being tired.

His condition was detoriating. The week before he woke up to nosebleeds. He always heard his ears ringing at random times of the day and he had increasing trouble climbing up the stairs, pausing every few steps to take deep breaths.

Daniel sat silently, broodingly staring at the scribbled on whiteboard in front of him. He was bored. He couldn't help being so. In the silent classroom, Daniel could hear Simon's slow breathing, interrupted by theshuffling of his feet on the ground.

Daniel stared at the back of Simon's head, frowning. He gritted slightly in anger when he remembered what happened the last pe lesson. Daniel skipped it and made the laborious four floors up to the roof when he saw Simon teetering on the ledge. His heart had dropped then and instinct made him pull Simon back.

Why had he done it?

"Mind your own business," Simon said coldly, his head still on the table. Daniel started, he hadn't realised he had spoken out loud.

"No, really," Daniel pressed. "Why did you do it? Why would you throw your life away?"

Simon stiffened, his shoulders rising together. A few seconds later, he tookhis head off the table and turned to glare at Daniel. Daniel stared resolutely back, taking in Simon's smoky eyes, his porcelain face with his cheek smarting from resting on his arm.

"I said," Simon hissed. "Mind your own business!"

"Who was that girl?"

Simon's eyes tightened slightly. "How do you know her?"

Daniel shrugged. How did he put it in words? "She recognised me for who i really am. I guess you can say she saved me."

Simon's eyes warmed a little, calculating as he stared back. "Yeah," he said softly. "She has a tendency to do that."

"You still haven't answered my question. Why did you do it?" Daniel insisted.

Irritation flashed across Simon's face. "You wouldn't understand, Daniel. Not even if I told you a hundred times. You and your perfect life with your brothers in arms, your many girlfriends, your freaking sports car, your doting father. What would you understand? And why would you? Your life is the freaking epitome of perfect!" The incensed boy exploded.

Simon breathed heavily as he shook the hair out of his eyes. He immediately felt sorry as he saw Daniel's stricken face. The poor guy probably never heard such vitriol in his life.

Suddenly, Daniel stood up andstarted taking a couple of stumbling steps.

Simon sighed, rubbing his face. He stood up and walked towards Daniel. "Listen, Daniel, i'm sorry I didn't mean to- DANIEL!" Simon ended up screaming the other boy's name as Daniel suddenly pitched forward, nicking his face on the table, and started convulsing.

"Daniel! Help! Somebody help, goddammit! HELP!" He screamed as Daniel's body twitched in his hands and foam started spraying from his mouth.

The door banged open and Jihye rushed in. "Danny!" She shrieked. "Simon, call the ambulance! Hurry!"

But Simon couldn't. His own words were ringing in his ears. Your perfect life, he had screamed. Abitter taste welled up in his mouth. But would 'sorry' ever make a difference? Sorry was just another word after all.