Chapter 3: Everything looks small from the rooftop

Wellingtons

It's funny how a person's presence can make you feel so warm and yet so empty inside. The past few weeks had been spent on the beach with Jihye in which he had practically memorized her face. The trail her freckles left on her face. He wondered what it felt like to run his fingers through her hair. Second later he marveled at his ability to feel at all.

 
He still felt as if he was missing something though and the desire to erase himself completely from this world somehow became stronger. He wondered of it was obvious in his expressions. A week after he had met Jihye, she asked why he wanted to take his own life away. 
 
"I never told you that," he said coldly. She cocked her head to the side, "Doesn't take a genius to figure it out, Simon. You're already a walking ghost."
 
It stung, slightly that she could see right through him and it scared him that she didn't discourage him from it. Almost unconsciously, he found himself standing on the edge of the rooftop again during break. It was nothing new. Everytime he felt so terribly alone and the tears that came with it didn't do anything to make it stop, he found himself contemplating life again. 
 
He hadn't talked to his parents in months and he wouldn't have it otherwise. Choosing a life of luxury over their son made them non-existent in his book. The times they called amounted to nothing as he repeatedly left the phone ringing. The only sign he gave them that he was alive was through his credit card expenses.
 
His ing credit card expenses.
 
From the building, everything looked small and minuscule. It was comical almost and he had to stifle a laugh, thinking about how thy would get bigger in the split seconds he would be nearing the ground. 
 
"I wouldn't do that, if I were you," a voice called out.
 
Startled, Simon lost his footing and almost toppled off the school building before a strong arm pulled him back, sending him crashing to the ground. Swearing, he rubbed his scraped elbow, feeling blood smear his palm.
 
"What the hell do you think you were doing?" Daniel spluttered, his face still sheet white at what he just prevented. Simon scowled and got up, brushing debris off his pants. Not even bothering to answer, he turned around to walk away. 
 
But he didn't get far for Daniel pulled him back to land a punch on Simon's sculpted jaw. Another one socked him in the stomach. He was definitely going to pee blood tonight.
 
"I said," Daniel sent another punch to his kidney. "What the hell do you think you were doing?"
 
"What does it look like was doing, you dickhead? And stop punching me, it doesn't hurt alright," Simon snarled and pushed Daniel away.
 
They stared each other down angrily for a few minutes. Daniel was furious. Simon had a life he would never have and he was about to throw it all away. 
 
"What do you mean it doesn't hurt?" Daniel snarled.
 
Simon's scowl deepened, making his eyes look darker than they already were. He actually contemplated telling him there and then about why he decided he needed to take his life away. About how he didn't fit in, he would never fit in and how much it scared him.
 
To die alone.
 
But it was stupid. And someone like Daniel just couldn't understand. Why would he? He was a freaking poster child. Everyone loved him, everyone would die to be him. Daniel would go on to do great things while he, Simon, would just got whale-watching on the beach.
 
He could actually just die on the beach.
-
 
Daniel watched as Simon walked away. He was shocked, to say the least. Simon, of all people, had just tried to jump down the building. It angered him, even hurt him a little. 
 
It suddenly dawned on him that Simon would try something stupid again. He sprinted after the boy and almost fell down the stairs when he skidded to a halt. 
 
"You!" Daniel cried out. 
 
Jihye raised her eyebrow as she stared at both Simon and Daniel. "Didnt know you two were friends," she said casually.
 
"We're not," Simon growled. Daniel cringed at his harsh tone. "What are you doing here?"
 
She didn't answer but raised her head to meet Daniel's eyes. "Don't worry," she grinned. "He won't try it again!"
 
It was at that inexplicable moment that Simon and Daniel realized she was something more. Something like fate, like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.