Chapter 4: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Wellingtons

 

Simon's scowl deepened as Jihye strapped herself in his red convertible. Simon rarely had a thing for cars. What he liked though, was to drive. Not just to drive, but to drive fast. However, it wasn't everyday that his day was spoiled by an annoyingly clingy classmate and an equally annoyingly clingy girl whom Simon had mixed feelings for. 
 
Just to annoy her, Simon drew the top of the convertible, effectively stopping wind from blowing over them, and stepped on the pedal. He could see her knuckles instinctively whiten but she kept the smile on her face, just like always.
 
"Why did you do it?" Simon whispered. "Why did you let him stop me?" 
 
"I'm not ready to lose you yet," she said simply. He did not ask her to elaborate nor did he ask her to continue. He just remained silent and so did she. 
 
"Can you put the top back up?" She asked softly. He raised his eyebrow questioningly, surprised at the sudden request. "I've never been in a convertible before."
 
Simon didn't acknowledge her for a few seconds before he sighed and pushed the button to bring the top down. The sun shone down relentlessly on them, the wind caressing their faces. 
 
"Wow," she smiled as strands of her hair flew back, sending her scent Simon's way. She smelt of strawberries and salt. Just like dessert on the beach. Despite himself, a small smile tugged at his lips.
 
He stopped the car and pulled the lever to push her chair back a little and unclipped her seatbelt. "Try standing," he said. 
 
"What?!" She said incredulously. "This isn't a jeep!"
 
"I know this isn't a jeep," Simon replied with a hint of annoyance. "Just try, I promise, it's great." She glanced at him uncertainly before nodding and standing up, holding the windshield.
 
Simon started the car again, driving slower so she wouldn't fall. The wind picked up with the speed, sending Jihye into little giggles of pleasure.
 
A couple of turns later, they found themselves at the beach again. Simon was silent again and Jihye was the same. 
 
"You know, when you leave, a lot of people are going to be very upset," Jihye said.
 
Simon scoffed, "There's no one out there for me. No one cares. I haven't spoken to my parents in months and they haven't bothered to check how I'm doing."
 
Jihye pulled her hoodie up and leaned herself against Simon's arm. "Well...there's me for one." 
 
Simon raised his eyebrow questioningly. "And there's Daniel," Jihye quickly finished. 
 
"Daniel?" Simon said in a startled voice. "I don't even know that guy. I didn't know you knew him too."
 
Jihye smiled and replied, "Well, I promised to eat Popsicles with him in the winter."
 
Simon stared openly at her for a few seconds before he laughed. His laughter was husky and foreign to his throat. Evidently, it hadn't seen the light of day for a while. "In the winter? A Popsicle?"
 
"Yup," she said with a playful pop. "Oh come on, don't tell me you've never tried it either?"
 
"You guessed right."
 
"Then I'll show you in the winter," she held out her pinky. "You, Daniel and me."
 
He frowned a little at Daniel's name but smiled and twisted his pinky around hers gamely. "Winter," he promised. 
 
She made to let go of her pinky but he pulled her closer. "Did you mean that, though?" He whispered, his breath fanning her face. "Did you mean it when you say you'll be upset when I'm gone?"
 
For the first time, her voice registered hurt. "I care about you, Simon. I don't want to see you hurt."
 
"I'm sorry then," he sighed. "I don't let people near me. I'm scared. Too scared to myself care. But you, you're different. When I talk to you, I feel better. I feel like I can do anything, anything at all, without being judged by you."
 
And then he kissed her, his lips parting hers. His teeth catching her lower lip. Heat spread through him like wildfire, coursing through his veins, urging him on. After what felt like a few hours, he pulled away. 
 
Panting slightly, her forehead resting against his, he whispered, "Don't leave me."
 
She said nothing but pressed her lips to his.
 
-
Sorry my dears! Having a little writer's block at the beginning ugh! And my exams are still not over:(