Chapter 4

We Were Never In Love

I noticed that my chapters are kind of short so I made this one longer! YAY~~~!!! Enjoy!

 

Taeyeon’s POV

It was getting late so Kris and I decided to head home to pack our belongings. We took the elevator down to the lobby and exited the hospital only to be greeted by pouring rain.

“Wow, it’s raining cats and dogs.”

“Yeah, I didn’t even bring an umbrella. I was in such a hurry to get out of the house.” I replied thinking about what I was supposed to do with Daehyun today. Sigh, it would have been much nicer to spend dinner with Daehyun than get stuck in this mess.

I started walking down the steps of the hospital entrance to the nearby bus stop.

“Where are you going?” Kris asked me when he saw me step out into the pouring rain.

“I’m going home. The bus is going to be here soon. I don’t want to miss it. I’m not willing to wait another hour.”

I sat down on the seats that were shelter by the roof of the bus stand. I took out my phone, hoping Daehyun did not leave a bajillion missed calls and voicemails after I flaked out on him. Thankfully, there were only three missed calls and one voicemail. I pressed the play to listen to his voicemail.

“Taeyeon, where are you? I tried calling you a few times but you didn’t answer. Well, I hope nothing has happened to you. Don’t worry about the dinner. We can have that another time. Call me back when you’ve this voicemail. Oppa’s getting worried hahaha.”

“YAH! Stupid Taeyeon! How can you get Daehyun oppa worried!?!? Why didn’t you call him earlier to tell him that you’re okay?” I yelled myself endlessly for being so inconsiderate.

I was still yelling when a loud noise interrupted me.

“Beep! Beep!”

I was so startled by the noise that disturbed my serious conversation with myself that I stood up and shouted “Can’t you see that I’m busy?!?”

“Whoa, I just wanted to ask you if you wanted a ride.” The driver said as he rolled down his car windows.

*Grasp. Oh . I did not just yell at him. Please please please don’t take back the promise.*

Trying to hold in my shock I said “Oh…hi Kris. Haha… didn’t know it was you.” I gave him a weak smile hoping he’ll forget my rude attitude towards him.

 I guess he saw my through my guiltiness so he said “I forgive you” in the sweetest voice ever. Awww..so he’s a softie! Hehehe…WAIT. Snap out of it Taeyeon! He’s still a jerk for calling you cheap today!

“So, how about that ride?” He said interrupting my thoughts.

“Umm… it’s okay. The bus will be here soon.”

“You’re soaking wet. You might catch a cold.”

I was shocked. When did he start caring for me? Just when I was about to answer him, he cut me off. AGAIN.

“I mean… I don’t want you to sneezing and coughing all day. Living with you will be a pain. It was bad enough just to meet you today. Ruined all my plans.” He said shaking his head.

RUIN HIS PLANS? Who ruined whose plans today? I did not even get to eat dinner! SO DAMN HUNGRY. Sighhh. Can’t he ever say something nice and actually mean it? Since he’s being so rude to me, I guess I will take that ride and make his life a living hell. I was originally going to be nice and save him the pain but he asked for it.

I smirked as I said “Thanks for taking me home.” I opened the door to the seat next to him and sat down.

“So where do you live?” he asked me as he started the engine.

I started giving him the address and the directions to my house. My house is actually located in the middle of nowhere. It was small and well let’s just say… ugly. Umma and appa left me quite a lot of money but being the good girl I was, I saved it all up. I plan on using that money only for emergencies since I have no relatives around who can help me when I’m in danger. So the small amount of money I make from my job goes to paying the rent and buying necessities and food.

“So do I make a left turn at that corner?”

Yes handsome. That’s the only way to get to my house but I decided to play with him so I said “No, you can’t go to my house that way. You make a right turn. Then make another right turn at the corner of the little convenience store.” It was all bull. I started giving him random directions. I don’t even know if there was a convenience store up ahead.  He did as I said and started driving in the direction away from my house.

After a while he yelled “YAH! What kind of prank is this? We are at the same place we were at a while ago!” and woke me up from my nap.

“Hehehe… sorry. I must have forgot. You actually make a left turn here.”

“How the hell can you forget the way to your own house?” He shouted so loudly that I had to cover my ears. My poor ears.

He gave me a death glare before continuing to drive. I responded with a little pout and puppy eyes.

“Don’t ever do that again!”

“What? You mean this?” I said giving him a pout and puppy eyes again.

“Yes that!”

“Why? It’s too cute for you?” I gave him a smirk.

“It’s so gross that I think I’m going to throw up.”

“Gosh. No fun at all.”

We finally arrived at my house. Before I got out of the car, I thanked him again for taking me home. I was being sincere this time.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow and drive you to the new house.”

“What? You don’t have to. I can get there on my own.”

“Just get ready by 9!” he screamed and drove away.

“Sheesh! You don’t have to soooo LOUD.” I said making sure he didn’t hear me.

I walked to the door of my house and opened it. A gush of wind flew pass my body making me shake all over. I looked at the house, it was empty and dark. Sigh, it’s going to remain that way for a while.

I walked over to the living room and stared at the rows of picture frames located above the fireplace. Pictures from my childhood were embedded inside the frames. I took one of the picture frames and brought it closer to myself to scan it. I gently wiped the tint of dusk on the surface of the glass. It was a picture of my mom, dad, and me taken on the day of my birthday. The day my parents died. My mom looked beautiful. She had light makeup on and was in her favorite flower dress. My dad looked young in his polo shirt and black dress pants. Despite being so young, they had slight wrinkles on their foreheads and around their mouths. My parents often fought at home. Having no one to take their anger out on from the pressure from work, they would take it out on each other. I would stand behind the kitchen entrance, listening to their arguments and conversations. Sometimes I get scared, wondering if our family will be taken apart, and sometimes I would just cry, hoping they will pay attention to me and forget their bickering. The latter always worked.

“Umma. Appa. I miss you.” I kissed the picture as tears slowly rolled down my eyes.

I was getting tired from all that’s happened from today that I didn’t even eat dinner. I tooka shower and headed off to bed. I lay on my bed, wondering if I should call Daehyun back.

“How should I tell him? Should I say I forgot it was today? No no no no… then he’ll think I’m reckless. Maybe I should tell him I have to work overtime? No, that won’t work. I never work overtime on Fridays. Should I tell him that I witnessed a car accident and somehow ended up being someone’s wife?” I literally slapped myself for even considering on telling him the last one. I kept talking to myself when my cellphone suddenly rang.

“Hello?”

“Phew. So you didn’t get kidnapped? Thank god!”

As soon I recognized the voice, my face lit up. I couldn’t stop smiling.

“Daehyun oppa! I’m so sorry! I was… ummm… I had to take over Sunny’s shift today since she was sick today. I’m so sorry I couldn’t take you out to dinner.” 

“Don’t worry about it. Have you eaten?”

I looked over at the clock. It was only 8:30. “Yes oppa.”

“Good. Don’t starve yourself. You’re getting skinner by the day.”

I couldn’t help chuckling. “That’s the Daehyun I know. Always so considerate and caring. Hahaha.”

“I can’t help it if my heart’s so generous.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. We all know oppa.” I said jokingly.

“You know what? You could make up for today. How about taking me out to lunch tomorrow?”

“REALLY? I’d love to!”

“I’ll come pick you up at 12 alright?”

“Sounds good. I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye oppa.”

“Bye Tae.”

“YEEEEEEE!” I screamed as soon as I hang up. I can’t wait for tomorrow!

I couldn’t sleep the whole night. I would wake up during the middle of the night, wondering what I should wear and where we should go for lunch. Suddenly, a thought striked me. Oh no. Are we moving in tomorrow? How can I forget?!?!! I started panicking, thinking of what I should do.

“Should I take Daehyun oppa to lunch? But I promise I will move in tomorrow and start pretending to be Hana’s mom. I can’t just back out like that.”

I suddenly had the most brilliant idea. A smirk crept on my face as I remembered that I can say I’m taking Sunny’s shift since she’s still “supposedly” sick. Now I can spend the whole afternoon with Daehyun! Hehehe Taeyeon, you little sly!

The next morning…

I woke up extra early this morning to pack my belongings. I stuffed a few months’ of clothing and all my other necessities into the large suitcase. I finished packing and went over to the living room to look at the pictures one last time.

“Umma. Appa. I can’t take you guys with me. I don’t want Hana to see. But I’ll really miss you guys.” I kissed the picture and turned away trying to hold in the tears. I heard a knock on the door and went to open the door, wiping my face to make sure there were no tear stains.  

“Good morning. You ready to go?”

“Yes. Just wait one moment. I’m going to get my luggage.”

Kris’s POV

Was she crying? Her eyes were all red and puffy.

I zapped my mind of that thought as I saw her coming out the living room with her luggage. I took the big suitcase from her and carried it myself. She gave me a shock expression but I just ignored it.

We both got into the car after putting her belongings in the trunk.

“So, you know where we’re heading?” she asked as I started the engine.

“Yeah, I went to check it out yesterday after I dropped you off.”

“Oh” was all she said.

After half an hour, we arrived at the house. It was a mansion, I tell ya. We stopped at the gate and waited for it to open.

“OH MY GOD. Are you sure it’s this place?” she said, not believing what she’s seeing.

“Yep. 100% sure. We are now rich.

“Very”

We both got off the car and walked the path to the entrance of the house. We rang the bell and the butler “Oscar” welcomed us.

“Thanks so much for coming. I really appreciate it.” Oscar said while motioning us to come into the house.

“No problem.” I replied.

“Wow! The house is beautiful! My whole house is probably the size of this living room.” Taeyeon said as she laughed to herself.

He told us to sit down in the living room as he got us some tea. When he came back he started giving us the instructions and details.

“You guys got it?” Oscar asked us.

Taeyeon was in another planet. What the hell is she thinking about? If she doesn’t pay attention, we’re both going to be screwed. I nudged her.

“Ouch” she said rubbing her arm.

Oscar continued speaking but Taeyeon interrupted him.

“Where’s Hana? Is she still at the hospital?”

“Oh no. She’s at the childcare center. I take her there sometimes so she can play with her friends. She’ll be back on Monday so you guys will have some time to adjust.”

“Will it be okay if we appear suddenly at home looking all fine after surviving a disastrous accident?” I said.

“It’ll be fine. She’s young. We’ll just need a lot of explaining.”

Both Taeyeon and I nodded our heads and motion for Oscar to continue.

“Hana’s mom love ice cream, especially strawberry ice cream. She eats it when she’s mad or feeling down.”

“Oh! I love strawberry ice cream too! I guess I could pull off being Hana’s mom.”

“Her dad was quite a serious man. He’s really into his work. A work maniac I tell you. But nothing compares to his family.”

Taeyeon flash me a smile and said “Treat us nicely”

I was going to yell at her and say that I have been treating her nicely but she was so damn cute that I couldn’t bear to do so. Wait. Scratch that. I did not just say she is cute. She’s annoying, really annoying!

After Oscar finished explaining everything, he took us to our rooms and showed us around the house.

Taeyeon’s POV

“This is your room” Oscar said before continuing on.

“This room is so nice! Where’s Kris’s room?”

“You guys will be sharing the same room. You guys are husband and wife.”

“HELL NO!” Kris and I both shouted.

“No no no. I can’t share a room with him.”

“I don’t want to share a room with her.” Kris said pointing his long fingers at me.

Oscar was about to plead but both Kris and I said “Okay okay. We’re husband and wife.”

“We get it. You don’t have to say it again.” I said quickly before he goes on and on again.

After showing us around, Oscar left telling us he has to visit his mother in the countryside for the weekend. He told us to pick Hana up from the childcare on Tuesday. Three days. Just him and I. Great, just great.

“I went into our room and pack some of my clothes and moved it into the room across from ours.”

“What are you doing?” Kris said walking up to me.

“I’m not going to share a room with you.”

“Oscar said you have to” he said giving me a smirk.

“Well Hana is not back yet so I’ll sleep in the other room for now.”

“Fine. It’s not like I wanted to share a room with you either.”

“Well I guess we’re on the same boat then.” I said clapping my hands together.

“Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you. I’m taking over my friend’s shift today so I will be going to work later at 12.”

“What? Who works on a Saturday?”

“Uhhh, most of us” I said sarcastically.

“Whatever. Suit yourself. I’m going to go out with some friends.”

We both headed back into our respective rooms and unpacked. I took out my yellow flower dress and some cute black flats and put them on. I applied some light makeup and curled my hair, hoping not to overdo myself. After grabbing my purse, I hurried outside, hoping Kris will not notice me leaving.

As I got out of the house, I jumped up and smiled. “Mission success! Now all I have to do is go home and wait for Daehyun to pick me up.” I took the bus back home and wait for Daehyun to pick me up at 12.

I must have fallen asleep in the process because when I woke up, I got like five missed calls. I played the voicemail and it was from Daehyun.

“Taeyeon ah. Are you taking Sunny’s shift again? Wait you didn’t get kidnap for real this time right? Hahaha! I’m just joking! I’m outside so come out when you’re ready.”

Oh crap! Daehyun is waiting for me outside? How long have I been asleep? I ran to the door and opened it, smiling nervously at the person standing next to his parked car.

Daehyun gave me a smile and beckoned me to come over.

“Ahhh oppa! I’m so sorry. I didn’t know you were here. How long have you been waiting?”

“Hahaha… not that long. I didn’t want to wake you up from your nap. You seemed tired.”

“What?!?! How did you know I was sleeping? OMG are there drool stains near my mouth. There must be.” I reached for the corner of my mouth to see if there was drool on it but Daehyun grabbed my wrist and stopped me.

“Babo. I saw you through the window” he said giving me a wide grin. He’s killing me. That gorgeous smile.

We got into his car and he drove me to mall.

“I know this really nice restaurant. It has great Italian food. Want to give it a try?”

“Mmm… I drooling already oppa! Let’s go!”

Kris’s POV

I called up some friends to see if they wanted to hang out. We decided on going to the new Italian restaurant located in the mall in Downtown. I got ready and was about to head out but decided to see if Taeyeon was still at home. I opened the door to her room and it was empty. Wow, that girl just left? Not even a bye? I closed the door gently and headed down the stairs to the entrance of the house. I got out and hopped into my car. I drove to the mall and greeted my friends, who were already waiting for me in the restaurant.

“Yo! Kris hyung!” Sehun said as he waved me over to their table.

I walked slowly to the table but something caught my eye. Why does that girl look so familiar? Brown hair of medium length. Small and petite figure. I got the feeling that I’ve seen her somewhere. I couldn’t figure out who she was because her back was facing me.

I decided to just sit down and forget about it when suddenly, the girl and the guy across from her stood up and started to leave. I shift over to get a better view of the girl and when I saw her…my mouth dropped wide open. What the heck was she doing here? Didn’t she say she had work? That little liar… you’re going to get it! I glared at her and started eating.

“Yah hyung, slow down. The food’s not going anywhere.” Baekhyun said as he gave me some napkins to wipe the food off the corner of my mouth.

“What’s gotten into you? You usually eat in a clean manner.” Luhan said as he let out a small chuckle.

“I’M HUNGRY OKAY?!?” I said and continued chomping on my food.

“Something’s seriously wrong with him.” I heard Lay whispered to Luhan.

“I heard that! Hurry and eat your food! I have some business I need to take care of!”