Chapter 3

We Were Never In Love

Taeyeon’s POV

That’s me in the picture...and that’s him. What’s happening? My jaws literally dropped.

“Why do you have a picture of us? I don’t remember taking a picture with him. He’s just a stranger I met today. I don’t even know his name.”

“The name’s Kris. I wouldn’t even take a picture with you even if you paid me.”

“Sorry to interrupt your little argument but that’s Jaemin.” The old man said as he pointed to the young man in the picture. “And this is his wife, Sunghee.” He then point at the girl next to the young man. “That is you guys. Don’t you remember? Well, I am just glad you guys are fine. I was scared to death when the hospital said you guys got into a car crash and when I came here and they said you guys were dead. I almost fainted, dear lord!”

I took my wallet out from my purse and showed the old man my I.D. “My name is Kim Taeyeon.” I said as I presented him with my I.D. “I am not Sunghee.”

 “You…you are not Sunghee but you guys look strikingly identical!”

Kris did the same as he took out his I.D and showed the old man the information. “And I am Kris Wu.”

“This is so odd. Could it have been that Jaemin’s mother had twins? Most definitely not! She did not have twins. I remember that clearly. I was there, outside the hospital room.”

“Sir, I don’t have a twin. Maybe your young master saw me somewhere and thought I was handsome. Then he hired some scientist to make himself a clone of me.” Kris answered sarcastically.

“HAHAHAHA! You really think you’re that handsome!?!? Oh Gosh! You need to get yourself a mirror!” I said between my laughs.

He walked closer to me. We were just inches apart. “Can you admit that you think otherwise?”

I gulped while trying to avoid his stare. . He’s right. He’s so damn handsome and he knows it!

“Wow. So I guess you guys are really not Jaemin and Sunghee. Sigh, I should’ve known that it was too good to be true. I have watched Jaemin grow up and get married. He and his wife was a loving young couple. I treated them like my own son and daughter. I thought, I thought for a moment they were alive. Silly me.” The old said as he wiped away his tears with his handkerchief.

“Sorry, mister… My heart goes out to you and the little girl.”

“Oh! Hana! I totally forgot about Hana! She must be heartbroken and depressed. Her parents were killed right before her eyes. I have to go check up on her. Excuse me please.” Before the old man walked away, he turned around and gave us a smile.

“Should we go see Hana?” I asked Kris, who was leaning against the wall.

“Maybe later when she’s calmed down.”

“I guess you’re right.”

After twenty minutes, the old man walked out of the room. “Sigh, Hana won’t talk to anyone. She won’t even eat. Poor girl. AH! Before I forget, I have a favor to ask of you two. Now before you guys go berserk on me, listen first.”

“If it’s something we can help you with, we will.”

“I wish you guys can pretend to be Hana’s parents for a while. Just until she can recover from this.”

“What?!” Kris and I both exclaimed.

“I know that we look just like her parents but we can’t lie to her this. Even if we pretend to be her parents for the time being, she will still be hurt when we unravel the truth.”

“She’ll grow older and she’ll be able to accept it. Please, just this one favor. Hana is like a granddaughter to me so I do not wish to see her like this. I don’t want her to be an orphan at such a young age.”

“You can take care of here and besides we have our own lives to live. We can’t afford to take care of a child.” Kris answered in an indifferent tone.

The old man, feeling helpless, kneeled down on ground in front of us.

“I’m getting old. I can’t take care of her for long. Please sir. Please miss.”

“Don’t do this. Get up please.” I said as I try to lift him off the ground.

“Hana’s parents wanted her to grow up and live her life as the cheerful and bright girl she is. I will pay you guys any amount you want. Just help me with this favor. I beg of you.”

The words “cheerful and bright” hit me like lightning as I recalled what happened in the past. I try to hold in my tears that were threatening to fall. I remembered what my parents had said to me before they died. The same exact words.

Kris looked at me with a worried expression and I avoided his stare.

“It’s not about money. I have my life to live. I have no experiences of being a mother. It…it just can’t happen.”

“She’s right. This parent thing is beyond the question.” Kris said while giving me concerned looks.

“Please…” The man kept saying.

“I…” I gulped hard before agreeing. “Okay” I said quietly. It was not that felt sorry for this man but that I empathized with the little girl. I know how she’s feeling right now. I felt the same way before. I wanted to be there for her. To take the place of her parents and give her the strength and protection that she did not receive because… I never obtained such things from my parents.

“You will? Thank you so much young miss! I really appreciate this.”

“What? I did not agree to this! YAH! What is wrong with you! I told you that you should not meddle with other people’s affairs!”

“I will be her mother. I won’t pull you into this situation.” I said as I started walking away.

“Wait… sigh. I…I guess…I guess I have no choice but… to be her father.”

She gave a huge smile before continuing to walk away.

Kris’s POV

YOU FOOL! What has gotten into you? Why are you making so much promises to a stranger you don’t know. Why are you feeling sorry for her? Because she looked like she was going to cry!?!?

“What have I done? We can’t possibly pull this off.”

I ran to catch up to her. She was talking to the old man, whom I found out was the family’s butler.

“I need you guys to move into the mansion and live there for the time being. I will give you two schedules and instructions on what to do and how to act if that’s alright with you guys. You  guys should also inform your family members about this.”

“That’s fine. I live by myself so it shouldn’t be a problem.” Taeyeon while looking down at the ground.

“My parents are rarely home and they don’t care much about me.” I replied.

Taeyeon turned around and looked at me with a sympathetic expression. Was she feeling sorry for me?

“Right now, no one can tell that Hana’s parents died. The thing is that their bodies and faces were so bruised up that no one can tell who they are. It shouldn’t be too hard convincing Hana and the others that Jaemin and Sunghee are still alive.”

Before he could continue, Taeyeon walked off. I excused myself and followed her as she walked spiritlessly towards the room the Hana was in.

“Hana, stop crying. I will protect you. You will live your life as the cheerful and bright girl you are. For sure.”

I heard her whisper those words softly as she looks at Hana from outside the window. I wondered what suddenly made her agree to the favor. Did something happen to her?

I chuckled nervously as I thought My stupid guilty conscience was kicking in. Why didn’t Hana turn around and look at us at the scene of the accident? If she did, none of this would have happened and I would not have had to make this promise to these two strangers.