five

This Secret

 

{Hye Mi's POV}

In a blink of an eye, my two-month vacation had flown by and it was time for school again.

For the past two months, Daniel and I couldn't meet but we exchanged text messages nearly every day. He would tell me what he was doing, be it practice, recording or resting, and I'd do the same, be it studying, eating or reading. We grew comfortable with each other and could crack jokes without offending the other. I didn't see him as Dalmatian's Daniel anymore. Instead, he was just Daniel, my good friend.

I got up from bed that morning and dressed in a comfortable pair of jeans, a white tank top and an ed baby pink oxford shirt, matched with a pair of white Converse. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and met Shin Mi at my door. We spent the next twenty minutes travelling to school, chatting about anything and everything under the sun.

"Hye Mi, I have a meeting after school so you'll have to go back alone today," Shin Mi informed me.

I let my shoulders drop. I hated going anywhere alone.

 

To: Daniel

I have to go back alone today since Shin Mi has a meeting~ How sad :(

 

From: Daniel

Don't be sad~ What time do you end class?

 

To: Daniel

3PM, why?

 

No reply came from him after that. Shrugging it off, I continued with my lessons as per normal, wishing for day to quickly end. Although it was only the first day of the new semester, I was in my second year and work was already piling up.

I walked out of the Science faculty building with my lab coat in hand. I was about to head for the bus stop when I heard someone calling for me.

"Oi, chemist!"

 

{Daniel's POV}

Ten minutes to three, I was already waiting outside Yonsei University's Science faculty building with my car parked by the sidewalk. I thought it'd be nice to surprise Hye Mi and send her home. I had nothing better to do and she did mention once or twice that she hated going anywhere alone.

As people walked past my car, they'd point and whisper. Not because of me, though. It was all because of the car.

I was leaning against my car and sweeping my eyes over the surroundings when I saw Hye Mi walk out alone. I kept my dark shades on to avoid fans. I didn't want to be recognised and create a scandal.

"Daniel? Is that you?" Hye Mi was now in front of me, clearly sceptical.

"In the flesh," I grinned and pushed down my pair of shades a little to reveal my eyes. "Hop in, chemist. I'll take you home."

"You don't have to," she bit her lower lip. "That wasn't why I sent you that text."

"I want to! I have nothing else to do, anyway. Spend the day with me?" I wriggled my eyebrows, persuading her to join me.

"Woah, this is your car?! Idols make this much?!"

So she finally noticed the car. I looked at my Audi TT Roadster proudly. My precious baby.

"No, we don't," I chuckled. "My dad gave it to me when he bought a better one."

I opened the door to the passenger seat and let Hye Mi slide in before closing the door and going to the other side. I slipped in behind the steering wheel, took off my shades and watched as the girl observed the car interior with widened, amazed eyes. She looked so kid-like, touching everything in the way. The red leather seats, the cloth roof, the audio system.

"Are you free for the rest of the day? No assignments you need to urgently complete?" I asked as I started the engine.

"No. Why the question?"

"Let's go for a drive. I'll show you somewhere that I'm sure you'll like," I suggested with a soft smile.

Hye Mi nodded and I stepped on the accelerator. I the stereo and the song that started playing was so apt. Our song, Drive. I sang along as Hye Mi hummed softly to the tune.

"A nervous runaway with you," I sang. "Are we really running away?" I hinted as I took the expressway out of Seoul.

"Woah, where are we going?!"

"Don't worry, I'll bring you back home before ten," I laughed as I let our State of Emergency album play on repeat.

"That's nearly seven hours. Anyway, Shin Mi kept replaying the topless scenes in your E.R music video," she giggled and shook her head.

"Really? Did you watch it with her? I have quite a decent body, don't I?" I teased, looking at her face for a reaction.

Hye Mi cleared and looked out the window. I swore her cheeks turned pink. I inwardly chuckled and continued driving. I wound down the windows and let the top down.

In less than an hour, we arrived at our destination. A beautiful lake in a park I would go to whenever I wanted peace and quiet.

"Stop right here, pull over baby. This is it right now, let's drop the top down," I sang. "Well, the top's already down so let's go outside."

Hye Mi only giggled and stepped out of the car, leaving her bag and lab coat behind. I quickly took out a paper bag I had hidden from her and placed it on my seat before joining her. Hye Mi had ran toward the edge of the lake, taking in the breathtaking scenery.

"So pretty!" She exclaimed, her arms stretched out.

Pretty just like you, Hye Mi, just like you. No, 'pretty' was an understatement. Breathtakingly beautiful was more like it.

I came up from behind and stood next to her, making her arms fall to her sides.

"Beautiful, isn't it? I come here whenever I want to be alone. Even my other members don't know about this place," I swept my eyes across the landscape, already familiar with the surroundings.

"Hmm? Then why did you bring me here?" I could tell she was genuinely curious.

I simply shrugged.

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her behind me, leading to another place in the park. We arrived in front of a water fountain, the kind kids usually play in.

"No! You're not dragging me in there. I don't want to get wet!" Hye Mi tried to pull away, but my grip only tightened.

A mischievous smiled played on my lips as I tugged on her arm and pulled her in with me. I ran along the inner perimeter, still holding on to her wrist.

"DANIEL!" she squealed, laughing along with me.

I released my grip on her wrist and ran away when she threatened to splash me some more. Somehow, we started playing tag, and I felt as if we were in a Bollywood movie when we were running away from each other. Instead of trees, it was water. A soundtrack would finish this scene perfectly.

"Daniel, I'm all wet," she whined when we finally stopped playing.

I grabbed her again, by the hand this time, and led her to the car. I moved her lab coat, careful not to drip any water on it. I took out two towels from the paper bag and handed one to her. She eyed the bag, which actually contained both towels and extra clothes.

"You planned this, didn't you?" Hye Mi's eyes narrowed, and I only shrugged with a cheeky smile.

I handed her a white T-shirt with long green sleeves and a pair of black knee-length shorts, and took another set for myself. We both went to the restrooms to dry and change ourselves.

"Now, we really are wearing couple shirts. Not only that, but shorts as well," I teased as she walked out of the restroom where I was waiting for her, already changed.

She shot me a playful glare as she dried her long hair with the towel I had given her earlier.

"Let's go back home," Hye Mi suggested.

I took her towel and dumped both of ours back into the paper bag. I helped her in, shut her door and slid into the driver's seat on the other side. I started the engine and reversed out of the parking space.

 

{Hye Mi's POV}

The ride back to Seoul was uneventful with only light conversation and soft music playing in the background. I wasn't surprised Daniel had actually planned to play in the water fountain. He had always been cheeky.

"Shall we stop for a hotbar?" Daniel asked, pulling over near a street snack stall once we were back in Seoul.

"A cheese sausage, please," I requested, staying in the car as Daniel got out.

After purchasing the food, he got into the car with the hot sausages and began to drive towards my apartment.

"Thank you for the great day," I smiled.

Daniel had stopped in front of my apartment building to drop me off. He returned the gesture and I stepped out. I waved as Daniel drove off, waiting until he was out of sight.

I took the elevator up to the seventh floor, where my apartment was. I stepped in only to find Shin Mi sitting on my couch, seemingly waiting for me.

"Where have you been?! I got here after my meeting to have dinner with you but you weren't here! And what happened to your clothes?!"

"Sorry! You should have told me you wanted to eat dinner together. Daniel brought me out of Seoul to play in a pretty water fountain with a pretty lake in a pretty park," I explained, in high spirits. "He brought us both a change of clothes and hotbars."

"Told you he liked you," Shin Mi tried to say in a sing-song tune, walking out my apartment door.

She was already out before I could protest. This girl always knew how to push my buttons, hmph.