02. The Mother-in-Law

The Irreversible Beguilement
The second year they spend together, after the countless hanging out sessions, subtle flirting, and getting know each other, Seung Hyun finally asks her to be his woman.
 
She likes the way he has popped the question.
 
First, she is not a girl anymore. Second, by not saying ‘girlfriend’, he subtly hints that he wants her to be more than that, that she is not someone to be with for a while, but someone he wants to make his wife.
 
A few months later, Seung Hyun’s mother comes to Sydney from England for a vacation and he decides that it’s time for them to meet, to Sandara’s delight, although she is nervous as hell to meet Mrs Choi.
 
“So, what’s your mum like?” Sandara asks, wanting to gain as much information about the woman who gave birth to her man.
 
He contemplates for a moment on how to start. His hand pulls her closer by the waist as she snuggles onto his chest, finding the sound of his beating heart therapeutic. It’s moments like this that make her decide that she is happy with her life despite all the drama that comes in life.
 
“She is a very hardworking and resilient woman. My dad passed away when I was five and instead of remarrying, she worked many hours during the day to support the two of us. I remember her working night shifts for five days straight and I didn’t see her at all until the weekend when we’d spend time with each other, just the two of usexcept when I went out with my friends.”
 
There is a wistful look in his eyes as the memory comes to him. It’s from the way he tells the story that she realises just how significant his relationship with his mother is to him. His mother sounds so noble from his stories and his admiration is apparent from the way he tells them.
 
“She worked hard to pay for my tuition and school, and it made me feel bad to see how tired she was when she got back home. She was my motivation to study hard and get a really good job with a good paying salary, so she doesn’t have to work anymore. But being the stubborn person that she is, she went to England three years ago to work as a babysitter for a neighbour. They were looking for someone to look after their son after they moved there for work,” he tells her and lets out a resigned sigh.
 
Sandara contemplates on how sensible Seung Hyun was at such a young age. She doesn’t remember herself being as mature back then. Knowing how the mother and son have struggled together makes her aware of their tight bond and she just hopes his mother won’t be a controlling monster-in-law.
 
To Sandara’s relief, Mrs Choi is pleasant and she falls head over heels in love with her, just like her son has.
 
Sandara is making her way out from the kitchen with a tray of fruits in her hands when she catches Mrs Choi speaking in a low voice, “She is really pretty,” Sandara could hear the affection from her tone as she continues, “She seems like a nice girl. You should hold on to her.”
 
Sandara wonders whether it’s her looks that makes Mrs Choi utter such words as she has heard many of her friends’ mothers talking about what a beauty she is and wishes for her to be their daughter-in-law, which she could only pity them for as she believes she isn’t a ‘wife’ material. Though, this does not bother Sandara because her relationship with Seung Hyun and her feelings for him deepen, and her future mother-in-law likes her! And of course, Sandara becomes fond of Mrs Choi as time passes. They have similar fashion sense and they get along well; Sandara feels like having a second mum.
 
On the other side, Mrs Choi really is a queen, like Sandara has thought. Seung Hyun makes sure she has a car when she is in Sydney and he prepares her dinner every night, like the obedient son that he is. This makes Sandara sigh in contentment and decides that Seung Hyun would be the ideal husband for her.
 
There is just one thing, though, that always gets to Sandara and she could not quite put her finger on it. It doesn’t happen just once or twice that his mother disturbs their alone time. Sandara knows that it’s not on purpose, but she can’t help the emotions it evokes in her.
 
Sandara has just stepped into Seung Hyun’s car for their dinner date at the city when his phone rings. Without even asking, she knows who it is already. “Yes, Mum, I’ve picked up Dara. We’re about to leave.”
 
In the past years, she has come to memorised the pattern; not that she wants to, she just can’t help it. Just as they are about to leave for their date, his phone would ring and his mother asks whether he has arrived safely and met Sandara. A few hours into their date, another phone call is received and his mother asks what they are doing and when he is coming home. Another few calls come to ask him to bring her home some food or get her something. Then, when Seung Hyun drops Sandara home, after he has just given her a goodnight kiss, his phone rings and it is his mother again, asking whether their date has finished. Without even waiting for him to end the phone call, like in the first few times, Sandara would get off the car and enter her house. She would look through the window and see him driving out of her driveway.
 
Sandara tries to be understanding, but the grudge she feels just keeps on escalating against her own will.
 
“What are you thinking about?” His deep voice snaps her out of her thought. She lets him circle his arms around her waist and pulls her closer to his chest. He has come over to her place when Sang Hyun is at work and her parents are out. She watches the pouring rain by the window as his warmth envelopes her and the familiar scent of his soap relaxes her.
 
“Just tired,” she answers, literally meaning it.
 
“Sorry I was taking a long time on the phone. Mum’s memory is getting worse these days and she is only fifty; it’s worrying,” he muses.
 
She swivels around and entwines her hands on his nape. Looking at him affectionately, she attempts to make him feel better, “It’s just age. It’s normal.” She caresses his cheek and has the urge to lean closer. That she does, and within seconds, their lips unite in fervor and passion.
 
It’s moments like this that makes Sandara’s chest fill with warmth and joyful flutters. She doesn’t want to let it go, not even her minor irritation of the small disruptions his mother unintentionally puts into their relationship.
 
At twenty-nine, after three years of serious dating, she agrees to marry Seung Hyun when he asks for her hand in marriage and walks down the aisle with confidence and exhilaration for a future with the man of her life.