Separation

Aberration
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sungmin had never been on the run before, he specialized in chasing people down. Therefore, he knew the kind of obstacles that lay ahead of them. He knew it would be a long and tough road.

 

“Run away with me.”

 

Sungmin thinks those are probably the most foolish words any person could utter to the one they loved. Of course, it's unbearably romantic and somewhat sweet in a cliché way, but being on the run was a miserable affair. Every moment was laced with fear and paranoia, never knowing when you would finally be safe. Jongwoon probably only saw the romantic side of things - everything would be alright as long as they could be together. If it weren't for the fact that Jongwoon's life was already in danger, Sungmin would never dream of interrupting the natural balance of things and pulling the photographer away from his peaceful life.

 

He laced his fingers through Jongwoon's tightly and pulled the photographer along at a swift jog as they weaved an uneven path in between numerous metal shipping crates lined up along the docks. Jongwoon's breathing was a little uneven, but they couldn't rest now, the hairs at the back of Sungmin's neck were standing on end, he could tell that they were being followed. Shots suddenly echoed through the air and he instinctively ducked while pulling Jongwoon down with him.

 

Sungmin looked over at Jongwoon and his lover's eyes were wide with shock. He was mildly perplexed that Jongwoon wasn't hysterical or shaking with fear.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

Jongwoon smiled and his eyes softened in a way that Sungmin knew was reserved solely for him, “Of course, it's like that night we met.” Jongwoon chuckled good naturedly.

 

Sungmin kissed the back of Jongwoon's hand with a sigh. “Forever dodging bullets, but we'll make it out of this together.”

 

Jongwoon nodded and Sungmin took and deep breath before pulling Jongwoon along beside him at a breakneck pace. It was a only a few hundred more yards before the reached the cargo ship that would take them away from Korea. Just a few more paces to the Pacifica and they could escape the killers on their tail.

 

More shots echoed through the air and bullets ricocheted off the metal crates like pinballs. A sudden stinging sensation spread through Sungmin's right leg and he tumbled forward as the lower half of his body suddenly felt like it was weighed down by lead. Jongwoon screamed out his name and Sungmin looked into teary onyx eyes with a resigned smile.

 

“Run.” Sungmin whispered hoarsely.

 

Jongwoon shook his head violently.

 

“Run!” Sungmin demanded as he made a motion to push Jongwoon away, but his fingers trailed straight through his lover as if the latter were made of air.

 

Sungmin looked down at his palms in confusion and when he looked back up there was nothing before him other than the pitch black of darkness. A sharp pain pierced his heart as an agonized scream ripped through his chest.

 

 

* * *

 

Kangin watched on with a frown as Sungmin unconsciously struggled against the restraints tying him down onto his hospital bed.

 

“What do you think he's dreaming about?” Kangin muttered to himself.

 

“His heart rate and blood pressure are skyrocketing, I think it's safe to say that it's more of a nightmare.”

 

Heechul checked Sungmin's monitors and dismissed the medical staff for some privacy.

 

Kangin snorted. “A nightmare that he can't wake up from? It's been three days.”

 

“Yes, it's been three days and only explanation that I have is your shoddy field report.” Heechul waved a manila folder in the air. “'Target eliminated. Agent compromised by outside interference.' I can't believe the higher ups even bought your bull.”

 

Kangin shrugged. “Siwon's a bit of problem right now, they didn't seem to care about the particulars once I mentioned his name. Why weren't you surprised by his involvement?”

 

Heechul raised an elegantly arched eyebrow, “Because I know something that the higher ups don't. You deliberately left Han Geng out of your field report. Now, what would be so important that our Chinese associate would take time out of his busy schedule just to visit Seoul at this time of year?”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter