Couldn't he happy enough

Under the Sky

Seated on the sofa inside your crush’s house, you are nervous yet ecstatic to be talking with his mom. You’ve gone to their house this Saturday morning to return his jacket that he oh-so-sweetly wrapped around your waist to cover you from embarrassment.

 

He said that you can return it to him on Monday but you couldn’t wait for a few days more to see him and get a chance to talk to him.  Since you have liked him for years now, finding where he lives is not a thing to ask for you. How many times in the past have you dreamt of going in here and being friends with his family?

 

Now, this piece of clothing that happens to be one of his favorite jackets has been your ticket into their lovely home. You are smiling to yourself when his eomma opened the gate and let you in. Apparently, Minsoo is out playing basketball with his friends and will probably be back later in the afternoon.

 

Knowing this, your head almost hang low as you see the chance of talking to him again slips out of your hands. But fate must be taking your side as she invites you in and insist that you wait for his son and hand him his jacket yourself. Oh, you couldn’t thank her enough.

 

So, there you are, seated on the sofa waiting for you prince charming, I mean, Minsoo to come home from playing while his mom bake banana cake which apparently is Minsoo’s favorite.

 

“He always says that that is his favorite, but the truth is, he loves every food you put in front of him. It’s quantity over quality for him. Aish that kid.”  You remembered her saying that before leaving to check on the cake, you smiled at that little discovery.

 

Not long after, you heard voices of teenage boys approaching the house.  You braced yourself on being face to face with the man you so adore. The possibility of getting to know him more make your heart flutter.

 

Finally, he entered the house. Was it only you or did the whole house just brighten up? The faint paint of the walls became brighter? Nah, it’s only you and your growing devotion towards this man.

 

Upon seeing you, his face lifted up into a smile. You smile unconsciously after seeing that. Walking towards you, he asks, “What are you doing here?” he said with a smile though he remained standing beside the sofa you are sitting on.

 

A sly smile before you answer, “Uhm, I came to return this”, you said showing him his freshly laundered jacket sitting on your lap.

 

“Oh, you could’ve returned it to me on Monday, you wouldn’t have to bother going out of your way to come here and return that.” He smiled at you.

 

“It’s no bother, I don’t have any important thing to do anyways, and, eomma insists on giving this back to you, says I should return it the moment it’s done washing, you know, saving me from humiliation is one but actually lending me your favorite jacket is another”, you finished with a shrug of your shoulders as though everything is no biggie when the truth is, your mind is racing from weaving all those lies.

 

Saying that you don’t have anything important to do is one. How about your home works sitting patiently on top of your study table? And your mom insisting on returning the jacket? Not true as well. Sure she’s grateful to the man who helped her daughter in a thick time but she didn’t mention anywhere near the thought of returning it in urgency. Oh well, you never lie on regular basis so maybe you’ll be forgiven? Yeah, maybe.

 

“Is that so?” he responded with a smile. “How did you find our house, anyway? It’s not like we live in the same neighborhood.”

 

“I… erm… I asked one of your classmates which happens to be living near our house, yeah”, you lied. You can’t possibly tell him that you stalked him one day on his way home, right? You. Just. Can’t.

 

“Really? Which classmate?” you’re in deep sh*t now, what are you going to do?

 

Just when you are about to blurt yet another lie, his mom emerged from the kitchen, carrying a slice of her fresh from the oven banana cake for you to eat as you wait for her son.

 

“Oh, Minsoo-ah, you’re finally here. Sit there and I’ll bring you some banana cake as well”, she smiles before entering the kitchen yet again. You blew a heavy sigh, you have been saved.

 

Minsoo did move to sit beside you on the sofa. You’re about to start a conversation with him when you were suddenly interrupted.

 

“Yah, Minsoo-hyung, what’s taking you long?” Ricky popped his head on the door when he sees you. His eyes formed a large circle and his mouth formed into an O.

 

“What’s up, Ricky, why is Minsoo-hyung not out yet? He’s just supposed to be—“ it was Niel this time, followed by L.Joe, Chunji, and Changjo who the same as Ricky, are staring at you.

 

You wonder why they are acting like that. You looked at Minsoo and saw him with an unreadable expression on his face yet you can see amusement in his eyes.

 

It was Niel who first recovered from the trance. “Oh, so Minsoo-hyung is finally making his moves with his biggest crush, eh?” the other four ganged up on him after saying that.

“You and your mammoth mouth!” Chunji said making L.Joe laugh his head off.

 

You’d expect Niel to be offended because he is usually bullied for his thick lips but instead, he’s smiling. Why is that?

 

“Mammoth, huh? That’s new, at least you’re not saying that my mouth is big”, he said triumphantly making L.Joe laugh even more. “What, hyung? Does that mean ‘big’ as well?” he turned to L.Joe who is laughing heartily.

 

“Oh, sorry, Niel-ah, you’re mouth isn’t mammoth, they’re humongous!” Chunji stated yet again with a straight face you would never think he’s playing. Again, L.Joe laughs even harder if that is even possible seeing the state he’s in now.

 

Niel’s face became darker, his lips elongating into a pout. “Humongous is even bigger than mammoth?” he wonders with a sad voice, you have to try hard not to laugh.

 

You managed to laugh a small one at their silliness. But what Niel said made your heart accelerate its beating.

 

Could that be true? Does your crush really have a huge crush on you? O to the M to the G! Could that be real? You looked at the man sitting beside you only to see his head hung low looking embarrassed. You pout, so maybe it’s not true. He’s embarrassed because his friends are making fun of him with things you can’t fathom. Your heart sank.

 

Finally, his mom returns with a bigger plate of banana cake to give to his son.

 

“Waaahhhh! Is that banana cake, auntie?” Chanjo excitedly chimes in from the door.

 

“Yes, it is, dear, Minsoo-ah’s favorite, come in, you five, there are more in the kitchen, might as well eat there”, she said motioning for the five boys to come and follow her.

 

“Banana cake! Banana cake!” Ricky happily chants as they march to the kitchen leaving you two in the living room.

 

Awkward silence envelopes you two as you pretend to be busy eating when in reality, you gravely wanna ask him about what Niel has said.

 

He broke the silence first, “Uhm, sorry about Niel, he really talks without thinking first.” He said with that apologetic façade. Your heart sank even lower. So, what you’re thinking is correct, they are just playing a prank on him.

 

“It’s okay, I guess guys are really like that with their friends”, you managed to smile though your heart is breaking.

 

He nods then continue munching on his cake. He really loves that, huh?

 

“Your mom said that banana cake is your favorite”, she started.

 

“And that is correct”, he happily replied while taking another mouthful of his food.

 

“But she also said that every food put in front on you is your favorite, saying that it’s quantity over quality for you”, you happily said now forgetting the earlier heartbreak.

 

Seeing him this way, you know, so personal. He’s in his home, eating his mom’s cooking, sitting beside you, and just showing off what’s the real him. All of it is nothing but dreams before yesterday, now, everything is becoming real. How couldn’t you be happy about that? He might not like you back that way you wanted him to but, having a nice guy as a friend is a great thing too, right? Cheer up.

 

“Ha ha!” he laughs after swallowing his last of the cake, “that really is mom. But I can’t help it, everything she cooks is daebak! How can I not love all of it?” he continues to laugh. And since that laughter is infectious, you found yourself laughing with him.

 

After you’re done with your piece, he stood to take his leave. So this is it? Again, your heart sank. Right, what excuse can I say more for staying here, right? Nothing more.

 

“You said you don’t have anything important to do this afternoon, right?” he asks looking down at you as you remain seated.

 

“Yeah”, you shortly answered.

 

“Well, I was wondering if you can come with me to the park?” one of his brows rose in a cute way.

 

What is this? What the fudge is happening? Did he just ask me to go to the park with him? Really? Your thoughts are raging. You could’ve spazzed right then and there but you remembered that this gorgeous man is waiting for your answer.

 

You quickly nodded, though thinking about that later, you looked like an idiot. But you couldn’t care less. He asks you out and there’s nothing more important than that at the moment.

 

“Great. Can you wait for me? I’ll just take a quick shower. Gee, I stink!” he then runs off somewhere, maybe to his room.

 

When he’s gone, you spazzed like crazy. Jumping up and down and screaming your throats out, laughing like crazy. Though because you are in his house, you forbid yourself from doing anything near the word ‘fan girling’. You do everything inside your head. Though a little squeezed in giggle would occasionally escape your mouth.

 

Ten minutes has passed and you see him walking-running towards your direction. He has on fresh set of clothes, his skin looking tender from the bath, and his smell. Oh, gee, his smell is divine; you can sniff him all day. Oh, is that a little erted? Okay, scratch that last phrase.

 

“Shall we?” he asked as he got near you. You could only nod happily.

 

Before you two moved to get out of the house, Minsoo called out for his mom. “Eomma, we’re going out for a bit.”

 

“Oh, okay, just be home before dinner, arasso?” she said while walking out of the dining area and onto your direction.

 

At the same time, you saw his friends poking their heads out to look at you two. “Hyung’s got a date!” Niel chants. He is followed by Changjo and Ricky. All three they chant, “Hyung’s got a date! Hyung’s got a date!” Chunji and L.Joe laughs on the background.

 

What can you do? You could only laugh outside, but inside, you’re doing back flips and somersaults due to excitement and overflowing happiness. You came here with the excuse of returning his jacket, maybe talk to him for a while, then go home. What you didn’t anticipate, and could never have thought, was this: his asking you for a walk. Maybe it’s not really a date but who cares? You’re going out with the man of your many dreams.

 

“Yah! Go home now, why are you still here?” Minsoo shouted at his friends though you can see him smiling.

 

Side by side, you walked out of the house with that idiotic smile glued on your lips.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

yay! got one subscriber! kamsamnida aliceb2stninja-ssi! ^_^
(gee! i really at putting up titles! maybe you can suggest better titles for me? haha)