Chapter 2

Who We Are

 

So here I am, at the classroom at 4pm sharp, waiting for Minho to come. I rolled my eyes. You may say that I'm petty, but one thing that I detest other than maths and science: people turning up late for appointments. I stared at my watch and started tapping my foot impatiently. Soon, a tall figure ran into the classroom, banging into the door along the way. Ouch. That must have hurted. 
 
"Sorry Jungie! I was playing basketball! And...." 
"You are 3 minutes and 48 seconds late, Choi." I narrowed my eyes and snapped. Wow. I sound so vicious. 
 
Remorseful, Minho took the seat beside me and stared me so intently with his puppy eyes that i had to give in. My voice softened as I instructed him to take out his studying materials. 
 
Wait. What was that? Why is my heart palpating so wildly in my chest? The feeling of... Of being deprived of oxygen surges up. Some mysterious force probed me to gaze at Minho. His perfect complexion. His beige curls that framed his face so well. His eyes, always shiny and playful.... 
 
WHAT US WRONG WITH ME? 
 
Minho put the books and worksheets on the table, but I was still staring at him. He waved in front of my face, snapping me back to reality. I blinked vigorously and clears my throat. 
 
"Erm, so... Where do you want to start? Grammar? Phonics?" 
 
Our lesson kicked off, and I had to admit, that Minho is indeed hardworking. His determined, chiselled jaw clenched, as he racked his brain to answer the questions on the worksheets. A tiny smile escaped my lips. Cute. 
 
But time always flies when you are enjoying yourself. Before I realised it, it was already 7 at night and the sky was already dark. Oops. 
 
"So, Soojung, thanks for teaching me. Now I understand. Whew. Finally. Anyways, it's late. Wanna have dinner with me outside? My treat." 
 
Hmmm. Jessica unnie will be having a date with Donghae oppa. (Yeah they are totally into each other.) Since I would be alone at home.... Why not accept it? 
 
Nodding my head, we proceeded to a fast food restaurant near school. 
 
"Jungie! You want double cheeseburger without pickles right? With vanilla milkshake." Minho asked. 
 
Hey, how did he know? But before I could ask him, he had already disappeared to queue for our food. I sighed in confusion. What am I feeling exactly? This accelerating heartbeat... This deprivation of oxygen... 
 
Am I getting a heart disease? Oh god, no, I still want to live my life well... 
 
As I was submerged in my own thoughts, someone tapped me on the shoulder. Great. Here comes trouble... 
 
"Hey krystallll~ Why are you here? With Minho?" That b***** Jiyeon asked in a sickening sweet way. Eew. 
 
I felt goosebumps rising on my arm as I replied, "Here to have dinner duh. Minho's treat. I taught him languages today." Flat monotone. Perfect for dealing with these kind of people. 
 
Jiyeon shook her head and I winced as I saw make-up powder raining from her face (yes, literally rained). Gross. 
 
"Krystal Jung Soojung. Just to inform you, Minho is MY property. Don't make life difficult for yourself. Don't make me ruin you." 
 
Ooh I'm so scared! (rolls eyes)
 
Just then, Minho came carrying with a tray of food. Jiyeon's menacing face immediately changed as she plastered a flingly smile. 
 
"Hey Minho," she crooned, touching his hair, "Enjoy your dinner, I just had a pleasant little talk with Krystal over here. Don't miss me too much~" 
 
Minho merely shrugged and treated her like she was transparent. Chuckling, Jiyeon left the place while mouthing the words "You better watch out" to me. 
 
Yeah yeah yeah I get it I get it. 
 
"Eat up, Jungie. I will walk you home later. It's late, not safe for a girl to wander alone." Minho said as he flashed me a toothy grin. 
 
I lost myself in his hazel brown eyes. So warm they were, causing me to lock my gaze on them. If only time could freeze at that moment...