The Beginning

Two Moons, One Destiny

 

“Mihyun, I’m Kyungsoo and I am going to take you some place safe. We have to leave now.”  

Your lips moved before your brain did.

“No.” Victoria told me not to leave, so I’m staying put. You decided it would sound childish to mention that, however, and left it out. His eyes widened incredulously, frown softening. Maybe he had expected you to be less assertive… You didn’t even expect it of yourself, but then again, you didn’t ever expect to be here.

“No doesn’t come into it.” He explained shortly. He didn’t continue and the room was blanketed by an uncomfortable tension as the two of you stood there, unsure of what to do.

“I don’t want to go.” You elaborated; mouth running overtime to fill the awkward silence as he watched you. You were vaguely aware of the fact that he didn’t spare a single glance for the surroundings, and focused his attention on you.

“You don’t have a choice.” A new voice told you.

You gasped, soft scream caught in your throat, and span around – a second man had appeared behind you as if from nowhere. He paced a little, dark eyes trained on you. In your shock, you had dropped the knife… You were defenceless now, not that you even noticed.

“H-How did you get in here?!” You all but screamed but he ignored the question and continued his original path of thought. He acted like you hadn’t even reacted at all.

“Mihyun, you’re here for a reason.” He ceased his wandering and peered at you. “We know where you can find out.” You didn’t like tone, he was trying to tempt you but an air of blackmail hung on his words. Besides, I don’t care. Who cares if there’s a reason? It’s irrelevant… I just want to go home.

He was notably darker skinned than Kyungsoo, and his black hair was pushed back from his face, though one or two stray strands fell around his eyes.

“I’m Jongin, by the way.” He added when you blanked at him. Your expression didn’t animate itself and you stood in silence, waiting for something to happen. I’m not going with them. I don’t trust them, they’re dangerous; you reiterated to yourself.

The quiet rested heavy on the three of you, though they seemed patient and determined to wait as long as it took to gain your cooperation. You were about to sit down when the front door opened again, sunlight spilling into the small room before three silhouettes cut across it.

“Mihyun, we’re back. Are you.....” Victoria stopped in her tracks, the two taller men piling up behind her. Her eyes bulged for the shortest moment before narrowing and surveying the two intruders. Stepping inside, her hands found her hips as she swiftly moved between you and the strangers.

“What did they say to you?” She asked sharply without looking you. Zhoumi and Siwon were close behind, the taller scowling slightly. It looked out of place on his bright face, you thought, but that wasn’t the point.

“Th-they said I have to go with them. I told them no but they…” You looked hopelessly at her because you had no idea what else to do. They said you had to go. Would they leave without getting what they wanted?

“I see.” She hummed, shooting a glance at Siwon and Zhoumi that you couldn’t ignore. The three of them knew something… The question was what.

“Victoria.” Kyungsoo’s tone was harsh but there was an unmistakable plea-like edge to his voice. Jongin was staring intently at you, but nothing unnerved you as much as what Victoria said next.

“Go with them.”

Zhoumi and Siwon looked at each other, wide-eyed. The taller made to protest, but you beat him to it.

“What?!” She can’t be serious. “Victoria, I can’t. I need to go home… You promised you’d help me.” Betrayal coursed through your blood as you looked at her, petrified and hopeless. It was like you were on a raft, slowly drifting away from any form of security with no way to propel yourself back to shore.

 “We need to leave as soon as possible.” Jongin insisted, but no one paid attention… There were other more important things to be said.

Taking pity on you, Victoria held you by the shoulders and looked into your eyes.

“Mihyun, this is the best thing I can do to help you get home. They will take care of you, they will keep you safe. You just have to trust me.”
In that moment you found yourself believing everything she said. She had that effect – it was her laidback, kind nature that did it, you thought. It was hard not to trust her.

Resigned to your fate, you nodded. What else can I do? There’s not much an abandoned city can give to help me…

You looked from one person to the next, sadness suddenly taking over. They would continue fighting while you were gone, and to you the City Inbetween would become nothing more than yet another stop between stops.

You bid farewell to the three that had kept you safe, even for a short time, giggling despite yourself when Siwon embraced you in an unexpected hug. “Good luck out there kid.” He murmured, patting you on the back.

“Yeah, you better come back in one piece. We’ll have the city as good as new by then.” Zhoumi joked, ruffling your hair with a smile. For some reason, it was almost painful to say good bye, even though you’d only known them for less than twenty four hours. They had been so hospitable and you were incredibly grateful.

Wordlessly, Victoria grabbed you and squeezed you tight. You’d be sad to leave her behind after all she’d done for you. When you pulled apart, something caught her eye. She picked something up from the floor and held it out to you.

“Don’t forget this.” She placed the leather bound knife you had previously dropped into your hand and folded your fingers around it.

“Thanks.” You murmured, grateful of the gesture. You looked up from it when she spoke again, pushing her fringe from her face.

“It’s only a loan.” She added, one hand still planted firmly on your shoulder. “I expect it back someday, okay?” Pouting, she ushered you towards the door.

“Of course, thank you. I mean. For everything.” You addressed all three of them this time, and they nodded back at you with understanding words.

“We really should be going.” Jongin said, making you scream again as he disappeared and reappeared outside the open door. How does he do that?

“I guess this is goodbye then.” You said gravely, taking a deep breath. “Good luck with everything.”
Victoria returned the sentiment, watching as you left, stepping into the city and down the street, Kyungsoo close behind.

Where you were going, you had no idea. You just had to trust the two strangers leading you through an even stranger land.

Something tells me my adventure has only just begun…

 

AN: Unhappy with this. Will probably take this chapter down at some point and edit it entirely~ Also, updates wont be as frequent as I'm back in college tomorrow! ㅠㅠ