Day 2

A Week in Hometown

I walk slowly while smiling along. I’m currently on the way to my kindergarten. It makes me realize how time flies fast. I still remember some memories in my kindergarten time. But now I’m already this old.

I see few kids walk with their mothers outside the kindergarten. On time. It’s time for the kids to go home. Some kids are clinging on young woman who looks so happy. My smile becomes wider when I see that woman. She kneels down to face the kids and kisses their cheeks one by one. The kids then run happily after they got kiss.

The woman looks at her happy students then without any purpose she turns to look at me who’s standing not too far away from her.

 She stands up immediately with her rounds eyes then squeals loudly. “DONGHAE!!!”

She runs to me like a kid. She jumps and put her hands around my neck. We laugh happily then I put her down while ruffling her hair.

“Donghae!!” She calls my name while squeezing my cheeks.

“Boa!!” I ruffle her hair more.

“When did you come huh?” She pouts and looks really cute.

“Yesterday….”

“And you just come to see me now? How dare you!” She cut off my words then hit my arm playfully.

“It’s surprise!!!” I laugh and she pouts more.

“Emmm..that’s why you suddenly sent message last night huh?”

I nod lightly. We exchange stare then laugh together.

Boa hugs me again. “Lee Donghae, I miss you a lot. Yunho oppa and Seohyun too.” She releases her hug then looks at me. “You haven’t met them yet have you?”

“I’m planning to meet them tonight. They must be so busy right now.”

“Let’s give them surprise then. I’ll call them to meet up at our favorite tteokbokki shop, then you suddenly come. They must be so happy to see you!” Boa chuckles after uttering her idea.

“Sounds nice. What time?”

“At 7.” She giggles again then she intertwines her arm to mine then we walk slowly without any direction.

“How about your pastry shop, Chef?”

“So far so good. You have to go there when you go to Seoul!”

“That’s for sure. I’m dying to taste your cake again!” She squeals again. Seriously this kid!

“I’ll bring cake tonight then!”

“Jinjja??? Yaaaayyy..”

I laugh seeing Boa’s behavior. “Kwon seonsaengnim, how come you act like your students huh?”

“You’re not the one who said that. Yunho oppa often said it. Don’t you know it’s my secret to look stay young?”

“Thanks for sharing your secret then!”

“You’re welcome! Anyway, is there any Seoul girl who caught uri Chef’s heart?” She rounds her eyes and looks so curious.

“No one!”

Boa stops all of sudden and looks at me deeply. “Lee Donghae, are you normal?”

I flick her forehead. “What are you thinking? Of course I am.”

“But…you’re the only one who never involved in any romance. Even our maknae already have a love story!”

“What? Seohyun has boyfriend?”

Boa shrugs her shoulders. “I’m not sure. There is a sunbae in her college name Jung Yonghwa who madly in love with Seohyun. He courts Seohyun all the way. He’s so cute I think, but Seohyun always deny if I ask about him.”

“Ah..is that so? Then how about you? Have you another romance after your two days relationship with Heechul hyung?” I look at her teasingly

“Kyaaaa… Don’t remind me about it!!” Boa slaps my arms hard.

If you wonder with what I just said, yes Boa was once in a relationship before with Heechul hyung. It was when Boa and I in last year of our high school. Boa wondered how does it feel has a boyfriend and at that time Heechul hyung just broke up with his latest girlfriend. He teased Boa to be is girlfriend if she really curious. Unexpectedly, Boa said yes which made us surprised. The next day they have date all day long and just like Boa said they did what couple usually does, even she said Heechul hyung kissed her lips. And the day after tomorrow, they officially broke up because they said it’s awkward and didn’t feel good. The most unique relationship I’ve ever known. Even until now it makes me laugh when I remember it and still makes me curious whether they have been kissed or not.

Heechul hyung is our cassanova. Yejin noona, Jihyo noona, Dahae noona, Hyesun noona, Soojin, Sooyeon, Sohee, those ex-girlfriends of him that I still remember because he had a little bit longer relationship with them. The rest of his women, it will only waste my time if I try to remember, too much to be counted. Moreover I don’t know anymore about his love life after I had moved to Seoul.

Yunho hyung once was in a relationship with his hoobae, Go Ara. This girl is beautiful, no wonder why Yunho hyung liked her. They’re in relationship almost one year and I still don’t know why they broke up. They make a good couple in my eyes.

Just like Boa said, I’m the only one who’s never been involved in a romance. It’s a bit pitiful if I think more for my age. It’s  not because I’ve never fallen in love, I just don’t have courage to be in relationship with the girl I like. Should I think more serious about it? Even our maknae Seohyun is almost in relationship right now.

 

****

 

 I stand in front of tteobokki shop owned by Seyoon ahjumma with cake box in my hand. This place has the best tteobokki in Mokpo, for me and friends. I just realized that I miss this  place so much and of course its tteobkki. I smile alone when I hear their voices vaguely, Boa’s cheeky laugh, Yunho hyung’s husky voice, and the vaguest voice comes from Seohyun’s soft voice. I push the door carefully and I see my friends are sitting while joking at the corner of the shop.

Yunho hyung who’s unconsciously paying attention when the door was opened, suddenly stands up.

“Omo~” He looks at me surprisingly. “Donghae!!!”

I can see Seohyun turns her body around to see me and stands up immediately. Boa looks smile proudly because her surprise is success.

Yunho hyung runs to me and hugs me. “Donghae!!”

“Hyung!!” I can hug him back because of a box cake in my hand.

“When did you come? Why didn’t you tell me huh?”

“Yesterday, Hyung!”

“You have to tell me next time!”

Yunho hyung releases his hug then I see smiling Seohyun behind him. I’m left speechless for a while. Seohyun is very different than I saw her last time. I don’t see cute Seohyun with black long straight hair and ponytail anymore, all I can see now is beautiful and graceful Seohyun with her bouncy brunette hair.

“Seohyun, is this really you? Whoaa.. you’ve grown up!” I say something unaware.

I see pinky blush on her lovely cheeks. “Ah Oppa! Anyway, welcome back to Mokpo!” Seohyun smiles then gives me a little hug.

“You’ve grown up too, Donghae! We really miss you!” Yunho hyung pats my back.

“I miss you all too, but please don’t treat me like I’m a lost child!” I say something which make everyone laughs.

“Yah Donghae, is that the cake you promised?” Boa suddenly interrupted and pulls me to sit down then grabs the box from my hand.

“Is this a surprise you said earlier?” Yunho hyung sits beside Boa while ruffling her hair.

Boa opens the box happily. “Yes. You and Seohyun are surprised right to see Donghae. Wow, Donghae your cake looks so delicious!!!”

“Wow oppa, have you made it?” Seohyun asked in amazing tone.

“Yes. Special for you all!!!”

“Donghae jjang!!” Yunho hyung squeals then takes one of the cakes.

“Donghaeeee~~ your cake is the best. You have to open branch shop in Mokpo!” Boa says while eating the cake.

“Yah Unnie, you eat like a kid!” Seohyun giggles.

“Exactly!” Yunho gives thumb up to Seohyun.

Boa then punches Yunho’s arm lightly. Yunho hyung takes revenge by pinching her cheek. These two are really look like a couple.

“Oppa, Yunho oppa and Boa unnie look like a couple aren’t they?” Seohyun asks me while looking at Yunho hyung and Boa playfully.

“Yah Seohyunnie, don’t be like that. Stop saying like that anymore!” Boa pouts.

“But it’s truth, you two watched movie together without me!” Seohyun defends herself.

“You said you’re busy studying for your midtest!” Boa still doesn’t want to lose.

“Somehoe, I agree with Seohyun!” I stuck my tongue out.

“Donghae, Seohyun, Boa, stop it please!” Yunho hyung stops us. “We celebrate Donghae’s comeback, why are you girls fighting for me?”

“Aigoooo~~~” Boa and Seohyun both sigh.

“Hyung….” I glare at Yunho hyung.

“We don’t want you Mister Jung. Especially our maknae who’s already have Jung Yonghwa…”

“Unnie!!!” Seohyun cuts Boa’s words. She suddenly looks uneasy.

“Ah seohyun is really having a boyfriend now?” I join to tease Seohyun and ruffle her hair.

“Aniyo, Oppa!! Ah Jung Yonghwa sunbaenim only.... a friend!” Seohyun said weakly.

“But I saw him sent you home yesterday.” Yunho hyung also join.

Seohyun looks so irritated. “He forced me!”

“Did he hurt you?” Yunho hyung and I ask Seohyun the same question at the same time.

I exchange stare with Yunho hyung when we realize we did the same thing. We burst into laughter. One thing that will never be changed, we will be overprotective when it comes to Seohyun.

“Guys, you always care about Seohyun but not about me.” Boa pouts her lips and pretending to be sad, we know this girl is only joking.

“You’re a man in disguise. We don't have to protect you!” I tease Boa and get a punch in my arm from her.

“Ah Unnie!” Seohyun suddenly grabs Boa’s hand. “Unnie, you don’t have to worry. I will always care about you.”

Boa smiles widely. “See, Guys! Seohyun’s care is more than enough for me. Thank you baby Seohyun. But… did Yonghwa hurt you hmm?”

Yunho hyung and I laugh. In the end, Boa shows her over care to Seohyun too.

Seohyun sighs. “He didn’t. Don’t worry, I’m already adult, he or whoever won’t be able to hurt me.” Seohyun folds her arms. She always doesn’t like to be overprotected by us.

“But still, you have to tell us if someone hurt you. Arasso?” Yunho hyung pats Seohyun’s head lovingly.

“Yes, oppa!! I will!!” Seohyun bows to Yunho.

That night, we spend the time together and talk about everything. About our past memories. About Heechul hyung. About celebrities issues. Everything until we don’t realize it’s already midnight. And we promise to spend time together tomorrow