Sticky notes and Chocolate bars,

Bubblegum

Junhong joined the queue at the cafeteria, pushing the tray as the line grew shorter in front of him. Recess and lunch were his favorite periods and his enthusiasm showed on his face in the form of a contented smile.  When it was finally his turn, he felt his heart thump faster. It was like falling in love all over again. Without the hurt and disappointment of course. The ahjumma in charge of portioning the food scooped a heaping pile of fried rice onto his tray and placed a packet drink at the side. "Sorry kid, we ran out of chocolate bars..." the ahjumma said sympathetically. The wide grin on junhong's face dimmed slightly as he thanked her and went on to find a seat. Junhong went to sit by himself at the back of the canteen. It's not like he didn't try to sit within the sea of people. He did. But what was the point anyways when they replied to his jokes and questions with uninterested "Mmhmm"s, not even looking up from their trays. Most of them prefer to keep in their cliques and even if they decide to be generous, junhong would be the last candidate on their list of people they'd let in. He was the talk of the school once, then he just became gossip. But even gossip got old and no one wants to keep scraps of old news in their systems. And now he felt too accustomed and comfortable with his solidarity to have it broken.

 

 

Junhong dug into his rice. But much to his dismay, the sharp spiciness numbed his tongue. Junhong wasn't good with spicy food, his nose ran and he'd look like he was crying. So he ate what he could and left the rest in a pile looking rather disappointedly at him. When he finished his drink to put out whatever that was burning in his mouth, he reached out for his chocolate bar, only to be greeted by the cold plastic of the tray. Oh that's right... No chocolate today... Junhong sat there with a ghost if a frown on his face, his stomach confused by the absence of the much needed after meal sugar rush and from the emptiness from the shortage of food. He was subconsciously pouting when someone approached him. 

 

 

"H-hey... They ran out of chocolate bars huh... W-would you like to have mine? I... I don't really want it..." junhong shrank uncomfortably into his seat when he heard that familiar voice from in front of him. He didn't even have to look up to know who it was. Jongup had this queer lisp when he spoke. Although junhong refused to admit it, he thought it was kind of adorable. It made jongup seem all the more harmless, like an awkward squid in a sea of overconfident fish. 

 

 

"No thank you... It's ok, really!" junhong managed a smile at the muscular boy in front of him. "A-alright... Are you sure? Well... I'll see you around I guess..." jongup's eyes disappeared behind his smile but it would take an idiot to not notice the disappointment in his voice. Junhong looked as he walked back to his table. Two of his friends wore matching expressions on their faces, both shocked by what jongup just did. Junhong had seen them around school before. They were about two grades above him. About himchan's age. Everyone had once tried to pick out flaws in their relationship, like they did for junhong and himchan. But they were disappointed when the couple came out clean. Youngjae and daehyun watched closely at jongup as he sat back down, trying to match some words to the situation. Youngjae glanced over at junhong and junhong saw it in his eyes. It wasn't disgust, nor annoyance nor anything along that line. It was more of a strange puzzlement, a certain uncertainty and concern. Then they focused their attention back to jongup. 

 

 

"J-jonguppie... Uhm... Are you alright?" youngjae placed his hand on the younger boy's shoulder. He was still recovering from the shock that jongup was actually noticing these little things about junhong, like whether the boy had his chocolate bar or not. Youngjae melted at his dongsaeng's sweetness. Before this they'd thought jongup was clueless. They both knew that jongup had had this huge, elaborated, pink sparkly ribboned crush on junhong for as long as they could remember, but they wished the brown-haired boy would realize that with junhong it wouldn't be as easy as glitter and fluff. "Mmhmm..." jongup wasn't hurt. He was actually pretty used to this already, considering the number of times he had tried to talk to junhong but to no avail. It was partially his own fault having a bad grasp of words. "Well... It's your favorite chocolate after all! You can save it for later!" jongup nodded and managed a smile at youngjae's attempt at comforting him. "Well... If he's not gonna have it and you're not gonna eat it... Maybe I ca- Ouch! Hey!" youngjae hit daehyun on his head. How on earth could he think of food at a time like this? "I'll come up with something else then hyung..." jongup said, completely disregarding daehyun's hungry expressions. 

 

 

                                                                                                       ☛pagebreak

 

 

Junhong made his way to the classroom before the incessant ringing of the bell went off to signal the end of lunch. The hallway was empty as he gathered his books from the locker. Junhong sat at the desk by the window. This distracted him but he loved it anyways. But there was something unfamiliar about his desk today. The pale grayness of the table interrupted by colored packaging and a sticky note pasted carefully on it. Junhong sat at his desk and took the note from the crisp wrapping of the chocolate bar. 

 

 

Hey Junhong,

I know you said you didn't want it, but I really want you to have it. You didn't have much to eat during lunch... I hope you'll have a great day! 

Jongup.

 

 

The sticky note was small, so jongup tried as hard as he could to squeeze his untamed scrawl onto it. Junhong felt his heart give a squeeze. It was a familiar sensation, one that had been shelved for quite some time now. Maybe it was comfort. Maybe it was reintegration into familiarity. Whatever it is, junhong felt slightly hopeful. His lips curved into a smile, one that would be sweetened by that chocolate bar.

 


WHAT AM I DOING HERE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE ON A HIATUS! I had to get this out coz my Jonglo feels were interfering with my studying and that is not good. not good at all... Thanks for all your comments! I'm gonna stop being lazy and start replying comments from the next chapter onwards! Yup! So do leave me comments! I love you all! Oh btw, I'm gonna write a new Jonglo angst oneshot thingy... Coz i should be studying and I'm an idiot   HERE IT IS

Loves<3