The Perfect Prince and the Infamous Thief (Chapter 14)

The Perfect Prince and the Infamous Thief

Jun opened his eyes in surprise when he felt something burning and sharp pain on his shoulder. It didn’t take him long to realize that he was in the castle’s infirmary while he was being surrounded by his family. All he saw was worried face, one of his father, one of his mother, and one of his sister, while the doctor was cleaning his wound. However, he didn’t see him. He couldn’t see him and the pain won’t stop him from doing so. Struggling to get up, he pushed the doctor’s hand away and pushed aside his family members without a care in the world. The door was already at arms length, but he felt his father’s hand on his shoulder, telling him that he didn’t need to worry.

Turning around, he saw a still body laying on the bed besides his. It was so bloody and disfigured that Jun couldn’t tell who it was. However he saw those eyes, those beautiful eyes stared back at him and then a small smile form on his lips before his eyes closed shut. Pushing his father’s hand away, he ran to his side, sobbing and telling him everything was going to be alright. He grabbed his hand and pressed it to his cheek, begging for him to wake up. However, the figure didn’t and just laid there breathing slowly.

“Treat him!” Jun yelled, “He’s needs it more than me!”

“But--”

“Do it or I’ll kill myself with him!” He cut off the doctor, taking a knife he could from the tray the doctor used, “I’ll do it, and I’m not afraid to use it.”

“Do it,” his father sighed, “I can’t bare to lose him my son...”

The doctor sighed, “Yes sire...”

All Jun could do was watch as Nino woke up, screaming in pain as the doctor was treating his wounds. It pained him to see Nino in such a state he never imagined, will all those wounds all over his body. What he wanted to see was his Nino being happy again, smiling while holding him tightly in his arms. However, as much as he wanted to, he didn’t dare to take his eyes off of him, afraid that by looking away he’ll disappear too.

“J...Jun,” Nino groaned, “I s-saved...you...”

“Shh,” Jun brought his hand over his lip and rested his head over his hand, “Don’t talk. Just... stay alive for me please.”

“I will,” Nino whispered, “I will...”

He didn’t hear him talk anymore as his breathing became shallow, and quiet. Looking up, he saw Nino’s soft eyes on him, a smile forming on his pale thin lips. Trying his best not to hurt him, he moved up a little until their foreheads had touched. He looked so beautiful even if his eyes looked like they were losing it’s colors, and the way his cheeks became slightly the puffiest when he smile so beautifully.

“Nino,” He whispered, “Did I ever tell you how beautiful you were?” Nino shook his head weakly, his eyes looking at him innocently.

“You’re beautiful, Nino, and I love you. Everything about you and I don’t care if you’re a thief. I don’t care if my father won’t let me love you. Just please, keep your eyes open.”

Nino smiled became brighter as they stared at each other’s eyes. Jun can see a small reflection of himself, a Prince that no one else saw but Nino. Leaning closer and closer, Jun kissed his thin lips, before falling asleep on Nino’s frail body...

“Ngnnn...” Jun groaned, his hands looking for his hand to hold onto. “Nino...” However he couldn’t find it and only held onto something cold and soft. Opening his eyes, he saw that he was no longer in the infirmary, his hand no longer holding Nino. It was very dark and cold, despite it being summer all around the castle. As he sat up, the only light he can see was coming from near the bookshelves. There was something strange there, a bed he’s never seen before.

Standing up, he dragged his feet to this light and saw him, lying there with his eyes completely closed. Jun fell to his knees, thinking that he was already dead but he felt his body was breathing. After learning of this fact, he placed himself on the small bed, shaking Nino awake so he can tell him how much he loved him. However, Nino’s eyes didn’t open, nor did he stir in his sleep.

“Jun...”

He didn’t have to turn around to see who it was. He wanted his sister to go away, to stop bothering him but he needed her presence at the moment. She must have read his mind and came towards him, her hand on his shoulder. He didn’t have to ask her when she told him that Nino may never wake up again to see the another daylight. After speaking a few words with him, she left them all alone again, and he dragged all his stuff to Nino’s bed. Carefully pushing Nino to the side, he made a space for himself and put a blanket over his body and himself. Jun stared at him, his face was so pale like the moonlight, yet so sparkling like the stars. Taking his hands under the blanket, he pressed it to his chest and closed his eyes...

He couldn’t count the days he won’t wake up anymore, since so many days had passed. It was just another breezy day, and Jun focused hard on the instructor. In order to be the future King, he had to know all of these and do it without fail. Back then, he regretted acting like a child, all because his special someone was on his mind. With him sleeping peacefully in his room, everyday was almost like a living heaven, except that Nino can’t wake up with him.

He learned from his father that Nino saved him that day, which lead to his father changing his mind by just a little. He even learned that the man in the white cloak was as accomplice of Nino’s father, which is why Nino had no choice but to be a thief because he was threatened that he’ll kill his mother. Now that the man was securely kept in their dungeons, his band of criminals had ran away and the kingdom was finally at peace.

“Ohno,” Jun pouted, “Do I really have to learn fishing too?”

The sleepy knight nodded. “Of course! Trust me, it will help in the future. You know, just in case you want to go on an adventure with us again.”

Jun grinned. “I would love to, but I can just learn hunting instead. I don’t think I’m so good at being patient in fishing though.”

“Eh~” Aiba sighed besides the sleepy knight, “Sho and I will teach you how to hunt. Ohno here just wants to pass on what his father thought him.”

“O-ok,” Jun nodded shyly, “As long as I catch something on my first day, then I’ll accept you guys as my tutor.”

“No fair,” Ohno stomped his foot on the floor like a child, “I wanted to teach him my skills. Fishing is way better. Did I mention I can also paint?”

“Shut up,” Both Sho and Aiba said in unison, “He’s the Prince, why would he be learning those?!”

“Actually,” Jun raised his hand to silence them, “I want to learn painting.”

“Good,” Ohno nodded his head slyly, “Very...good...” He didn’t raise his head after that, and instead heard him give out a light snore. The three of them let out a roar of laughter causing the oldest of them to wake up looking confused and dazed. Though Jun couldn’t help but feel jealousy for Nino and for himself. A few years had passed by and Nino wasn’t awake to witness all of this for himself. While he spent most of his time outside of the castle with the three knights, he sometimes spotted Sho and Aiba holding each other hands and whispering to each other’s ears. He wanted to do that with him too, but all he could do was tell him the great things that happened, and held his hand to his chest.

“Jun, is something bothering you?” Aiba asked him as he snapped out of his thoughts.

Jun forced a smile and shook his head. “Now, shall we have a bow and arrow contest? I bet I’ll win this time. Loser showers in the lake.”

“No fair!” They all pouted.

“You’re the Prince, that’s an advantage you know. However,” Aiba raised his eyebrow, “We won’t go so easy on you.”

“Fine,” Jun grabbed his bow and swung his pack of arrows on his back, “Challenge accepted.” After the four of them finished putting everything together, Jun failed to notice a squire running towards them...

TBC