The Perfect Prince and the Infamous Thief (Chapter 12)

The Perfect Prince and the Infamous Thief

Jun couldn’t contain his happiness any longer when the King reminded him of the execution, which is in two days, during breakfast. That thought completely slipped his mind when he saw Nino’s face the night of the announcement, and he could never imagine himself plucking a single hair off of his head. To make it worse, that was all his father was talking about during breakfast while he was trying to fight off the urge to burst in anger. Instead, he just munched angrily at his breakfast until his jaws were hurting.

After breakfast was over, he slipped without notice through the back doors and hastily made it to the prison cells. Soon, he found himself in Nino’s arms, holding him tightly and whispering soothing words. He wished that this moment can last long, just being in his arms while his hands were his back. In return, he held him even tighter, unable to state the reason why he was being like this. If only he hadn’t been caught, none of this would have happened.

“Nino,” he called for him, his lips attaching to the sweaty skin, “I don’t want you to leave.”

Nino chuckled, his whole body vibrating along with him. “I promise I won’t. Anything for Jun.”

He shook his head, knowing that Nino was just trying to make him feel better since he was unaware that he’ll be the one responsible for his death. Just the thought of killing him with his own hands was unbearable that he wanted to sacrifice himself in his place. He detached his hands from Nino’s back and stared at them, wanting to chop them away so Nino can live. But Nino wouldn’t want him to do that to himself, even if he were to die for him.

Pulling away, he stared deep into Nino’s eyes before kissing him full on the lips. The latter didn’t move or react at first, but he felt Nino’s arms getting tighter around him and pulling him closer to his body. He leaned closer and closer, pushing Nino until he was on the floor, their legs intertwining together as they continued. The moment didn't last long as he pulled away and wept on his body. This love, he wondered if his father would understand...

Jun paced his room, asking himself if he was doing the right thing. Maybe he should just run away with Nino, but it would only lead to accusing Nino of taking advantage and kidnapping him. Though that thought seem to suffice since they can stay in any kingdoms except his fathers. Then again, he had a family and he was the future King. Praying that telling the truth would work, he headed to the long table where his family awaits.

It was taking longer than he expected. He already thought of the words to tell his father, but the words were stuck in his throat. Every time he opened his mouth to speak, they refused to come out and instead stuffed food in his mouth. From the corner of his eyes, he saw that his sister was staring at him weirdly and giving him a concerned look from time to time. Jun didn’t want to have to go through her, and just pretended to be calm.

The day wasn’t getting any younger and Jun was completely aware of it. They had finished lunch earlier and now it was getting darker the more he paced nervously around his room. The words he had practiced to himself earlier was still in his thoughts, but he couldn’t get himself to say them to his father. Maybe his mother had something in mind to help him. Just as he was about to head to his mother’s library, his door was opened and his sister came in without a warning. She stood in front of the door, looking at him up and down before crossing her arms and walking towards him.

“My baby brother has something bothering you,” She told him, her eyes still observing him. “And will you tell this nice sister of yours?”

Jun shook his head. None of this concerned her, and she wouldn’t understand. She’ll just think he was crazy. After all, he didn’t like talking to her about his matters. Sharply turning his head to the side, he walked past her, but again was stopped.

“Jun, I know there is something bothering you. If you don’t tell me, I’ll have to force it out of you.”

“No,” He simply told her, “This doesn’t concern you... At all.” He pulled his arm from her hand and was about to head for the door when he heard her ask

“Is it about Nino?”

“H-how’d you know?” Jun stuttered without turning around. He thought that she wasn’t clever enough to notice, but he judged his sister wrong. Turning around, he saw her staring at the painting on the wall.

“Mother told me. She couldn’t keep the secret any longer since she felt bad about keeping them from father.”

“Did you tell him?!” Jun gasped.

“Of course not!” She hissed, “If I did, he would have done the execution today.”

“Oh... wait, what?” He raised his hand up, letting his sister know he wasn’t done talking. “What do you mean ‘he would have done the execution today’?”

She rolled her eyes. “If either mother or I tell dad, he’ll get angry. There’s no other explanation since it’s obvious.”

“So if I were to tell him, then he’ll--”

“You?” She raised her eyebrow, “Tell him? There’s no way in this lifetime you can ever tell him. Imagine how angry father will be.”

She was right. If she didn’t stop him from going, Nino would already be gone by then. All that thinking wasted the whole afternoon was nothing after hearing his sister’s words. If only there was a way...

“Thanks, you’re not stupid after all.”

“Hey!”

He took the time to run away from his room while his sister was ready to launch at him. He looked back over his shoulder and stuck his tongue out before taking a corner turn to the library. It wasn’t a long trip and he found himself standing in front a pile of books. His mother loved reading books after books, and he would find stacks of them laying around everywhere until the servants cleaned them up.

“Your-- Mother!” Jun called for her in the loudest voice he can manage. “Mother!”

“Yes?”

From the middle of the stacks, was his mother sitting on the floor. It was very unladylike, but Jun didn’t mind it. Putting the books aside, he knelt down on the floor until he could see all the words written in the pages his mother was reading. He read the book before, it was about a love story between a human and a fairy.

“...Do you think, father will listen to you?”

“What do you mean?” She asked without looking up from the book.

“If I tell father, he will hold the execution early.”

“Did your sister tell you that?” This time she looked up, putting her reading glasses over her nose.

Jun nodded his head.

“Your father... I think it would be best if he heard it from you instead, he would be saddened if I tell him that I’ve been holding your secret.”

Jun sighed. Maybe she was right too. His parents were the adored King and Queen, and he knew just how much they loved each other that they would tell each other thief secrets. Having no choice but to listen to her words, he left the library and headed to the King’s office where he always found him during this time. He stopped in front of the red doors, taking a deep breath before knocking on the door.

There was a muffled come in, and Jun pulled on the door knob. His eyes immediately went to his father, sitting behind the desk with stacks of papers surrounding him completely. He was frozen on the spot. Seeing his father working so hard for the kingdom, he didn’t want to bother him any longer. Taking a step backwards, he was about to close the door when his father asked him what was the matter. Jun kicked himself in ankles before walking to the front of the desk, and facing his father.

“Your majesty,” he bowed, “I... I have something to tell you...”

His father stopped writing, and he looked up. Now that his attention was on him, it was just adding on to the pressure.

“I...I can’t do the execution. I’m in love with him...”

“What?!” His father’s voice boomed. “In love?”

Jun nodded his head, his legs twisting together, and his hands playing with each other. He’s never heard his father shout this loud in the castle, except for when they had town meetings. He was afraid that telling him by himself wasn’t going to work out after all.

“Son, this is no time for jokes. Leave that to the jester. Otherwise, go back to your room.”

“No, your majesty!” He raised his voice, “I’m telling the truth!”

“I can’t ever allow it then,” his dad told him, “I will pick out a wife for you and then you can tell me you love her.”

“No,” Jun shook his head, “I can’t. My heart already belongs to him.”

His father banged his fist on the table, causing him to flinch and stumble back. “Then I have to choice. The execution will take place tonight before dinner.”

“But--”

“No buts!” The King growled, “Go back and prepare the finest clothes for tonight. We’ll have the villagers prepare the finest feast, and I’ll find you a princess after.”

“No!” Jun yelled, “I can’t, and I won’t do it!”

“Knights!” His father ignored him, and the door to his study opened, “Take my son away and make sure he stays away from the prison cells. Tell the tailor to find him a nice clothes, and inform the villagers of the execution.”

The knight bowed down before grabbing his arms and pulling him away. “Yes, your majesty.”

Jun couldn’t fight back, no matter what he tried to do. The knight refused to listen to him, swearing that if he was King, he’ll be the first knight to be fired in all the histories. He should have never told his father. He should have just went with his plan to run away with Nino, so he can love him without his father’s permission. Using all the strengths he had in him, he pulled the knight’s hand away and ran to the dungeons.

Just as he expected. His father already took him away while he was being dragged, and all he could do was stand in the middle of the cell. He wished that Nino fought back, but for his sake, he knew he wouldn’t. Falling to the ground, he let the tears come out of his face before he was dragged away by the knights.

TBC