A Thousand Paper Cranes

Snow White

 

A week has passed and I was still hospitalized. For each day I was in the hospital, Luhan would visit bringing a bouquet of flowers by a nearby shop. He always brightened the mood in this gloomy room. For that, I was thankful, thankful to have him by my side, thankful to be alive to this day, and thankful to be free. Each day passed and I grew anxious. I was being hospitalized for some unknown reason. I felt good, recovered but why aren’t I able to go home? Each passing day I grew weak. I was pale and sick. Each day I would cough up blood. Every night I would cry myself to sleep. I asked the doctors what was wrong with me but they didn’t know. Luhan didn’t notice. He would ask when I would be able to go home. He was curious but I could only give lies for I did not know too. One day Luhan came in to see that I was coughing up blood. He dropped the bouquet of flowers and rushed to my side.

 

“Yoona! Are you okay?” Luhan patted my back as I continued to cough.

 

“I’m okay” I forced myself to show him the brightest smile I could conjure. It was useless. He didn’t believe me.

 

“W-what’s wrong with you?” Luhan laid his hand on mine. He looked into my eyes. He was dead serious.

 

“I-I don’t know” I looked away. A stray tear left my eye. Luhan gently grabbed my face and turned it to look at him. His eyes showed concern.

 

“Did the doctors tell you anything?”

 

“They don’t know too” My voice cracked and I started to tear up. I lifted my head up so they wouldn’t fall. There were too much and in the end they streamed down my face. I hated crying in front of Luhan but I couldn’t help it.

 

“Its okay” Luhan said in a hushed tone. Luhan finally realized how sick I was.

 

Weeks passed and I wasn’t getting any better. I grew tired and rarely stayed awake. Luhan would visit like always but I rarely saw him, as I was asleep most of the time. The possibility of dying was high. The thought of death pained me. It was a sad reality that I didn’t want to face.

 

“Luhan?” I was luckily awake when Luhan came to visit.

 

“Yeah?” I’ve been contemplating on whether I should or not.

 

“Could you buy me origami paper? Enough to make a thousand cranes.” He looked at me in confusion

 

“Why?” Luhan was now curious

 

“Well…” I didn’t know how to explain it.

 

“So that I can wish for this strange illness to go away” I smiled at him

 

“Sure” Luhan didn’t question me any further. I think he knew the actual reason. I was going to die soon and might as well you know.

 

Each day I folded 50 paper cranes. It would take 20 days to make a thousand and it would take another day to string them together. I was near the thousandth mark and I knew I wouldn’t be able to live much longer. It was the 20th day, the last day, the day I would finally have a thousand cranes. The next day Luhan helped me string them together. I was finished, finally finished. I felt happy and accomplished. I contemplated on what I would wish for. After some hard thinking, I finally knew what I was going to wish for. I took the string of paper cranes and whispered my wish. Soft enough so that Luhan wouldn’t hear it.

 

“What did you wish for?” Luhan asked.

 

“It’s a secret.” I giggled and so did he.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Luhan leaned in and kissed. It was long and passionate. Then he left.

 

“Hopefully” I sighed and decided to write a letter to him. I cried while writing it. I finished and went to sleep.  The next day arrived but I never woke up. I, Im Yoona, died in my sleep.

 

Luhan arrived like usual. When he arrived to Yoona’s room, doctors and nurses surrounded her bed. Luhan was confused. He cleared his throat. They all turned their heads to face him. The look on their faces was enough to tell him the tragic news. They cleared the way to show a pale Yoona lying there. She was dead. Luhan rushed to her body. He touched her hand and it was cold, no warmth at all. Luhan broke into tears. He was in denial. He shook her body hoping that she’d wake up but nothing happened.

 

“For you” The doctor handed Luhan the letter Yoona wrote.

 

Dear Lu Han,

It’s Yoona. The awesome, beautiful, cool Im Yoona. Hehehehe. You probably know that I passed away by now. So… Although I wasn’t able to say I love you one last time, I hope you know how much I love you. I! Love! You! Luhan! I’m thankful I was able to meet you. I’m thankful that I was able to smile because of you. Thank you for showing me the light in the once dark world I lived. I’m forever thankful to you.

Remember when I whispered my wish into the string of cranes? Remember? I didn’t wish to get better or live longer. I know, stupid right? I knew that I was near my life expectancy but I didn’t want to waste it on someone who was going to die in a matter of hours or days. I wished for you to be happy. I wished for you to live a happy life and grow old with someone. I wanted to be that someone but what can you do? Anyways, I don’t regret making that wish. I hope you find someone and I love you.

 

Your Deer,

            Im Yoona ;)

 

“I love you too,” Luhan said. He kissed the letter and let the tears he had been holding fall.


 


First fanfic completed