The Love of a Thousand Years

Thousand Years' Love

“Leave with me.”

His words struck an undefined chord in her. She wanted to respond to his plead, but she knew she couldn’t. was left dry, words unable to escape her parched throat. The words she so dreadfully wanted to choke out days ago withered away like the death of rose petals. For the past few months of love, she had never once heard him breathe the words she yearned for, albeit his actions had painted his affection in of pink and red on the white scrolls.

His desires were as clear as day – he wanted her to leave the palace in which she grew up in. He could sacrifice everything for her, but could she do the same?

“Please,” he begged, cupping his lover’s face in his hands. “Let’s leave this palace.”

His eyes desperately searched hers for signs of vulnerability, for signs of her wall slowly breaking down. Yet, he saw none; only pain and grief were depicted in the deepest corners of her eyes, depths that only he could search through.

The latter searched through her beloved’s eyes as well, seeing nothing but desperation and anxiety. Tears began to gloss her vision but she blinked them back. She had to be strong for him. She couldn’t be selfish any longer. The world didn’t revolve around them; the society of the Joseon Dynasty wouldn’t give them special treatment just because she was the daughter of a noble.

She breathed a heavy sigh and covered his bigger hands with two of her own. Taking in his features once again, she swore to herself that she would never forget them. His soft twinkling brown eyes, his gentle smile, and his pale lips that always curved up into a small, beautiful smile. She would miss it all. A stray tear rolled down her cheeks, a trail left behind. He hastily swiped it away with his thumb, erasing the evidence from her porcelain skin.

His heart wrenched at the sight of the tear. An invisible force tugged at the corners of his heart, digging into his very soul. The tear had told him everything he needed to know but he refused to acknowledge it. The truth clawed at his heart, clawed at his mind to back away while he had the chance to but it was already too late.

She had already begun the first step.

 The hand that sat atop of his bigger one gently pried his fingers from her cheeks. She could feel the resistance he made but it only made her want to tear his hand away faster. If she did it at a faster pace, she could lessen the pain he would feel. One by one, she tore his fingers away and hoped his touch would forever linger in her mind.

The girl took a daring step back and raised her head to catch one last glance at him.

She would never forget his features in the longest time. She would engrave this memory within her soul for as long as she can hold it.

Shooting one last glance at him, she spoke after what seemed hours.

“I’m sorry.”

She gave him no chance to reply. Turning on her heels, she walked up to the sliding doors that led her back into a space she considered her own. The doors closed and he was spared a glimpse of her face before they closed him out forever.

Behind the closed doors, she dropped to the floor. Her lower lip quivered and a rumble shook her body. Waves of tears rippled through her, sobs muffled by her hands. She couldn’t let him hear her sobs or else he would demand she open up. She had to put up a strong front so it would be easier for the both of them. Another wave hit and she retreated into her futon weakly to bury her tears.

The man ran up the steps and pounded on the door mercilessly.

“Seolhee! Open up, please!”

His cries were unheard of by her though, no matter how many times he pounded, pleaded, or threatened. Frustration burned through him. She wouldn’t open the door for him anymore and he knew. A single tear rolled down his cheek for the first time. He felt as if the world had gone cold and drained of colours, leaving shades of black and white to illuminate his world. Being the prideful man he was, he rubbed it away. He would walk away coolly and leave no regrets behind. He would move on even if it killed him, but he would never forget her high cheekbones and her bright smile. Those smiling eyes would never leave his memory as long as he was alive.

His long legs took him away from the palace. They were bound to meet again but this time, they wouldn’t meet as lovers. They would merely be strangers passing by each other and never anything more.

She was the daughter of a noble. He was the messenger of a military officer. Their worlds were never supposed to clash yet on one fateful autumn day, they had.

True love will never leave the two souls that had been bounded by the red strings of fate.

 


 

Cho Seolhee had noticed the tall, lean black haired man since the first day he had arrived. His sparkling brown eyes, his soft smile, and his kissable lips were all features that were so familiar to her, yet she could never quite place who held them.

She had stared for too long and that man had felt her gaze on him. He looked up from the older man he was holding a discussion with for a brief moment and held her gaze. Her heart skipped a beat, her mind swarming at that familiar gaze and searching for a face it belonged to. Seolhee gulped, tearing her eyes away from his. Cheeks reddening, she swore his eyes would’ve been able to pierce her soul.

The man held back his laughter, nodding at whatever the man before him was saying. His eyes glanced back at the young girl sitting at the desk, a faraway gleam in her eyes. It was all too familiar; those twinkling eyes were forever engraved into his mind. Yet he couldn't quite place where he had seen them and why they were so important.

The thought was quickly shaken away from his mind and he walked together with the older man who led him into the staff room and introduced him to the others as his teacher assistant.

He was a teacher. She was a high school senior.

Paths that were never meant to be crossed indeed did cross. It frightened them more than anyone.

 


 

Disrupted.

That was the only word Kim Kibum could describe his morning. He pinched the bridge of his nose, his eyebrow twitching at her chatter early in the morning. Didn’t she know he needed peace and quiet? Taking a sip of his coffee from his mug, he tuned out the meaningless chatter of the female teacher beside her. He couldn’t wait to see her shining face today in class. He couldn’t wait to wrap his arms around her and feel reality crumble below his feet. He couldn’t wait to feel the taste of her cherry soft lips linger on his tonight.

A slam shocked the female teacher’s, slightly agape.

“I need to prepare for my lesson,” Kibum told her sternly. “If I may so kindly, I would like to excuse myself.”

The female nodded nervously and Kibum sauntered out the door to his classroom. She watched his retreating back with a sliver of infatuation. As soon as he was out of the earshot, she propped her chin up with the palm of her hand and sighed.

“Why is he so young?”

-----------------

Cho Seolhee walked to school with her best friend babbling beside her. Though she knew nothing of what he was saying; she was too preoccupied with her own thoughts.

Her steps became lighter with every step, her eyes gleaming with a hint of excitement her best friend hadn’t noticed in a while. Her smile nearly reached her ears and she skipped ahead into her classroom, barely registering her best friend’s pleas to slow down.

She sank into her seat – in the very far corner of the room – and watched the students pile in. Groans and complaints burst from the mouths of her classmates. She chuckled quietly. On any other day, she would have the same response. But these days, it was different.

Everything she saw was different.

A familiar squeak of shoes echoed, though she was positive only she would be so attentive to hear it. A smile twitched on her lips and she watched the gleam of his perfectly styled hair shine in the dim lights of the classroom. His eyebrow rose at the chatters of his students though a small smile played on his lips when he glanced at her direction.

Her eyes lit up and she raised her hand up to wave but immediately stopped herself. Kibum chuckled and winked at her, though the other female students mistook it as if it was directed to them. Squeals bounced off the walls of the classroom and the male students rolled their eyes.

Kibum walked to his spot on the podium, clearing his throat to gather the attention of his students again. The students scrambled to their seats, some still giggling.

He sniggered slightly and turned around to face the board.

“Please turn to page 301 in your textbook.”

-----------------

“Why do you work so hard oppa?” Seolhee complained. “You’re only a college student. Why did our teacher throw all of his responsibilities of teaching to you?”

The two were sitting at Kibum’s apartment later in the evening. Kibum had just returned from school, finishing marking the papers his class had handed in today. Once he arrived, Seolhee was already curled into a ball while watching television. She perked up hearing the door close and had scrambled up to meet him.

Kibum laughed. “Seolhee-ah, it’s fine. I get to see you every day.” He pulled the latter closer to his body. “And that’s all that matters,” he whispered into her ear.

“O-Oppa,” she stuttered. Seolhee had wanted to protest some more but his close proximity caused the words to flee from . Her hands went up to his chest to stop him, though they both knew perfectly well that neither of them wanted to stop.

“The night is still young,” he spoke softly into her ear. He softly nipped on her earlobe, eliciting a squeak from the latter. Chuckling, he withdrew from her. His eyes softly swept over hers before a small sigh escaped his lips.

The man rubbed his hands up his face, tearing his gaze away from her. Seolhee bit her bottom lip, an uncomfortable feeling swelling at her chest. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and squeezed it.

“This is wrong,” he admitted, answering her unspoken question. “You’re only a senior.”

“But I’m graduating in a month,” she retorted gently. She softly hummed, “We’re so close.”

He let out another sigh and turned to face her.

“I know,” he answered quietly. “All the more reason to be nervous.”

A warmth was felt atop of Seolhee’s hand that was used to prop herself up on the couch. Her cheeks reddened and she looked away. A low chuckle rumbled through his body, shaking the couch slightly. He placed a kiss in the corner of her eye before moving down to her lips. Inching closer, the gap was closed and Seolhee’s eyes fluttered close.

Kibum broke away first, leaving Seolhee to pout. He took her hand and guided her off the couch. “It’s time to go home honey,” he reminded her. “Or else your mom will worry.”

She nodded dejectedly. Truthfully, she hated departing from him and she hated the fact Kibum was never able to take her home like a proper boyfriend could. Yet, she knew he loved her more than she could probably imagine. Though she could never shake the thought of a haunting question: why did he pick her?

Unknowingly, she mumbled aloud, “You would never have to be like this.”

Kibum tilted his head slightly to the side, a questioning glance thrown at her. She shook her head, quickly slipping her shoes on.

“I’ll see you tomorrow in class.”

Her voice held a tinge of coldness which stunned him. She left in a daze, clouded by negative thoughts swarming around her head. She couldn’t bring herself to say words she knew she may regret.

She would have to lock them in her heart for now.

 

 

She took her first step out the apartment, feeling the wind slap across her face. A sigh of relief escaped her lips and she relished in the coldness that wrapped around her body. It was a rather windy day despite the fact spring had no doubt arrived. She pulled her scarf up her face, the sounds of her shoes scraping against the pavement the only sounds echoing off the streets.

Her legs carried her as far as she could go, lost in her own thoughts. Unwanted thoughts; thoughts she was unable to rid her mind of. As she pulled the scarf up higher, the wind carried it away. It sailed on the smooth path of wind, angering Seolhee.

Seolhee ran after it, streams of curses escaping rapidly. The scarf finally settled down to the ground and she picked it up. Patting off any dirt it may have collected, she looked up at her surroundings, noting that she wasn’t far from Kibum’s apartment. It was fairly dark out and with the dim streetlights, she didn’t feel safe walking home alone.

Maybe I’ll ask him to drive me home, she thought. And maybe I can tell him the insecurities I’ve been bottling up, she added as an afterthought. Nodding to herself, she made her way back to his apartment.

She didn’t know why her feet stopped moving when she was a hundred yards away from his apartment.

She should’ve ran up and pulled them apart.

A familiar feeling bubbled in the pits of her stomach. She covered with the palm of her hand, biting back the tears. Her vision blurred and her tears pricked from behind. A soft sob blubbered out and she her heels. She ran back in the direction from which she came from, tears brushing down her cheeks.

Kibum.

Kissing another woman.

Why?

 


 

To her, tears were a sign of weakness. She always despised herself after she cried. There were never any reasons for her to cry and blubber like an idiot, yet she did. She could never hold her feelings in as well as the next girl could but she would always wipe it away as fast as she could.

Once she arrived home, she wasted no time in crying and scrambled into her room. Turning on her laptop, she was desperate to investigate who that person may be. Was she a colleague? Maybe she was drunk and kissed him on an impulse. But why would he respond that way then?

With her laptop on, she searched through Kibum’s cyworld first and foremost for that woman. It hadn’t taken long since Kibum didn’t have many friends on cyworld to begin with and her features were easy to remember. She clicked link after link, finally finding herself at another social networking site Seolhee wasn’t too familiar with.

But one thing did stand out and was easy enough for her to understand.

It was the only piece of evidence she could grasp and throw at him.

Currently dating Kim Kibum ♥
Currently dating Park Sunyoung ♥

 

Her heart ripped at their statuses. Like a piece of paper in the fire, the edges of her heart were slowly beginning to singe. The fire would gradually make its way towards the centre and she was uncertain if she could save her heart.

Picking up her cell phone sitting on top of her bed, she dialed Kibum’s number.

“The number you have dialed is temporarily unavailable. Please leave a message after the beep sound.”

She cursed under her breath, different possibilities infiltrating her mind. She no longer wanted to waste time on this matter. No matter how much she loved him, she would have to clear up this issue with him tomorrow.

To save him. To protect herself.

“We’re meeting at the small hill by the lake tomorrow. You remember where that is right?” She paused momentarily, a sad smile crossing her lips.

“I’ll be waiting until you come.”

 

 

 

She sat herself on the small grassy hill which faced a lake that was as vast as the ocean. It held a certain gleam every night during sunset and fish would jump out at this time. A beautiful sight to the human eyes, but all beautiful things must come to an end.

Without any trees, she felt too exposed. She wrapped her arms around herself but made sure she was still clutching onto the pieces of evidence. Was this too much? Should she just throw the evidence away and pretend nothing was wrong?

A warm, inviting breeze hit her gently on the side. Biting on the insides of her cheek, she let out a rueful smile. She had already gone so far; there was no turning back.

A faint light flew past her. Stunned, she followed the light with her eyes and found hundreds of small lights glittering in the sky. The sky had already begun turning into shades of reds and oranges and yellows, making the lights more prominent. Sounds of fish tails slapping against the water made Seolhee smile.

“Sunset,” she whispered to herself. How long had she been waiting?

The glistening orange egg slowly sank down the horizon, a dark shade of blue beginning to take over the sky. Animals retreated back into their dens and homes and a colder wind replaced the warm one that had hit her not so long ago. But Seolhee remained rooted to her spot. She stubbornly waited for him to come.

And waited.

And waited.

The fireflies grouped above her, diverting her attention from her forlorn thoughts. With her head raised, she gasped at how large the number had grown.

Fireflies, she thought. Seolhee raised her hand and let a firefly sit in her palm for a moment before it flew away.

They’re just like stars.

She looked up into the sky and let out a sigh. The vast sky held so many possibilities, waiting to be spoken and acted out. It held so much hope and disappointment at the same time. Yet, did any one of those possibilities include being together with Kibum?

She shook that absurd thought out of her mind. How could she be so naïve to think she would have a chance with him? They lived in two different worlds, and certainly neither of their worlds would accept each other.

This is why he chose her instead.

Seolhee grit her teeth at the flimsy thought. Words of denial whispered across her lips but she was afraid. She was afraid of the truth those words held. It was only a flitting thought but it was enough to make her that much more uncertain.

A pair of arms wrapped around her waist, eliciting a panicked gasp from her. The hands wandered around her stomach, circling her belly button in a comforting way. Muscles held taut, she shut her eyes tight. She had to admit, it was comforting but she was scared. The touch was so unfamiliar and unexpected, it shocked her.

A deep rumble vibrated against her back and almost instantly, her limbs relaxed.

“It’s only me,” he cooed into her ear. “I won’t hurt you.”

She begged to differ.

Squirming, she tried to escape his grip but she was stuck firmly in place. After a few minutes of struggle, she breathed out an exasperated sigh. She leaned back into his chest, a sign of submission to him. His grip on her loosened and fixed his eyes on her face. Her eyes blankly stared into the sky and he followed her gaze up to the fireflies. The once lively brown orbs now held a dull void Kibum couldn’t quite explain.

The atmosphere was calm and Seolhee relaxed in his hold. With a soft voice he announced, “I have something for you.”

But Seolhee had interrupted him with her own question.

“Why were you late?”

Her voice resonated in the air flatly. Dull. Skeptical. Anything but warm.

Kibum opened his mouth to explain but he didn’t know where to start. How far back in the past would he be pushed to go?

He sighed and settled with an apology.

“I’m sorry.”

Seolhee turned to face him, an eerie pleasant smile on her face. “Sorry doesn’t cut it Kibum.”

Her pleasant smile distorted into something between anger and pain. “How do you explain these?”

She threw a stack of paper at his chest, the papers scattering into the air and onto the floor. He picked one sheet up, his eyes widening at the words printed on the page.

“Where did you get this?” He asked her, his voice barely above a whisper.

She crossed her arms across her chest. “I don’t think that’s the problem here. Why don’t you try explaining to me what this is?”

They were the comments that were exchanged between him and Sunyoung. Page after page were comments filled with words of love that Kibum hadn’t even showered Seolhee with yet. One another page was their profile where they declared that they were dating each other. Kibum gulped at the evidence, unable to process anything properly in his mind.

“Tell me one thing,” she spoke in a small voice. “Were you with her first or me?”

“Does it matter?” He muttered after an uncomfortable silence clouded above the couple.

“You’re right,” she replied with a wry smile. “It doesn’t.

“You’re still cheating one way or the other.”

Seolhee her heels, walking a few steps away from him. Without turning back to him, she told him, “I thought maybe this was all a misunderstanding. Maybe none of this was real and it was only my own childish thoughts. I was hoping it was like that but I was wrong.

“Kibum, we’re over.”

It’s a standard reaction to stand up and walk after a girl who declares that they are over. Kibum did what the average man would do but this had only enraged Seolhee more.

He grabbed her arm, keeping a firm grip on it. “Baby wai-”

She whipped her head around to face him. Tears spilled over her eyes and stained her face, shocking the latter.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim, but would you so kindly let me go? It’s getting dark and I think my parents are getting worried, considering I’ve been gone for more than a few hours.”

His face dropped. She had been waiting for hours? What had happened the last few hours before he had met her here was a blur. He could barely remember anything.

His grip on her arm loosened and she slipped out of his grasp quickly. She walked away, her chest heaving rapidly with the sobs rippling through her. Her hands went up to her face to wipe them away hastily, in attempts to conceal them from his view. But he saw each crystal tear drop to the grass and shatter into a million pieces.

He knew she didn’t want to break up with him. He knew she wanted him to blame everything on Sunyoung. He knew she wanted him to feed her lies so their relationship could continue on beautifully.

But he couldn’t lie to her. Not to her.

Yet he couldn’t bring it in himself to chase after her. It was as if all the strength in his legs gave way. He was rooted to his spot as firm as glue could stick him onto the floor. The sight of the tears drove him absolutely crazy but he couldn’t do anything.

His hands clutched tightly around the key-shaped necklace he was to give her tonight. It symbolized that only they knew each other best. He had the same one worn around his neck, although it was slightly larger and styled for men. He wanted to give it to her today while the fireflies surrounded them with their lights, their blessings.

But now, he just couldn’t do anything.

The fire in her heart had spread to the centre of her heart. It had singed the sides to perfect crisps and Kibum was so close to burning her whole heart. Her heart hurt from the pain she was stabbing herself with. She actually wasn’t as strong as everyone had said she was. Her strength was merely a front, one that she had built up so painfully through years of countless experiences. She wished she hadn’t been so doubtful of her boyfriend.

If she hadn’t been doubtful, they wouldn’t be in this situation. They would be enjoying a nice dinner at his apartment, happily chattering about their day. Curling up on the couch and cuddling while watching dramas and movies. Sharing kisses that meant nothing and everything in the world.

But she had wiped the slate clean with her own hands. She caused bloodshed with her own hands and mind.

The only thing she wanted now was a getaway from reality.

 


 

The glasses on the long narrow bar table clattered at the impact of the drunken man’s actions. He slammed his glass onto the table, attracting the attention of those around him. It had been a few days since their alleged breakup. Seolhee avoided Kibum at all costs at school, not even sparing him a glance or greeting him in the morning. She wouldn’t talk to him unless it was absolutely necessary and often times, she sent her best friend to ask Kibum questions instead.

It angered him. It hurt him. It shattered his heart.

But he brought it on himself. Now, he could only drink the dreaded pain away.

“What?” He barked angrily. Shrugging, everyone looked away and continued their activities.

Kibum’s friend, Lee Jinki rubbed his back.

“Hey, don’t drink so much. You still have to get home later,” he soothed.

“Where is home?” He asked absentmindedly. “It’s not home if I no longer get to see her.”

Jinki fought the urge to roll his eyes. “She never lived at your house.”

Kibum narrowed his eyes at him. “Whatever,” he mumbled. “At least I knew I always had a part of her.”

He downed his fourth shot, shouting at the bartender to give him some more. The bartender raised an eyebrow at Jinki, who shrugged in return. Pouring a little more into his glass, the bartender was careful as to not put too much in.

Kibum waved him off and spun the glass between his fingers.

“I loved her so much,” he confessed.

“I-I didn’t know that our love would become so strong.” A small hiccup escaped his mouth. “I was going to just play around… But I didn’t know I would come to love her so much.”

His words slurred slightly and Jinki knew he was close to telling the truth. Kibum was drunk to the point where the truth would just slip from his tongue if he pushed him more.

With a swift move, Jinki made a call to Seolhee.

“Jinki? What’re you doing calling so late at night?” She asked him in an irritated tone. “You know I-”

“I really really love her Jinki.”

Seolhee gasped. Was that Kibum’s voice? Was he drunk?

“Jinki, what’re you trying to do?” She asked him skeptically.

“Just listen,” he hissed into the receiver.

Kibum turned his chair towards Jinki, his head swaying back and forth. Luckily Jinki was able to steady him in his arms without dropping the phone in his hand, allowing Kibum to continue.

“My whole world changed after meeting her. I saw things differently and I knew she was the right girl for me.

“Sunyoung… Sunyoung and I dated on and off for a year. She played with me for a year Jinki. But Seolhee… She saw me for who I was and never left my side.

“And that’s what I loved about her.

“Bring her back to me Jinki,” he pleaded. “Please. I can’t live without her.

“I still haven’t given her the necklace yet. I still haven’t told her how much I love her. Please Jinki.”

Kibum’s eyes shone with tears and they dropped down one by one. They were heavy with regret and pain, causing Kibum to sob even more.

“Idiot,” Jinki mumbled. “Why are you crying?”

Jinki wiped the tears away with his forefinger and squeezed his arms. Kibum nodded between his sobs, promising him that he would stop crying.

Seolhee covered , biting back her sobs as well. Her eyes glistened with tears that made their way down her porcelain skin. She couldn’t fight back against the force that brought her tears down. She hadn’t known Kibum felt like that. She didn’t know the whole story behind it. Although it annoyed her that he had been seeing someone else, she felt a small hint of joy bubbling at the pits of her stomach.

“I’m coming over now Jinki,” she sobbed into the receiver. “Where are you guys?”

“Let’s meet at the park,” Jinki suggested. Seolhee agreed and they hung up. Steadying Kibum again, he told him that they were going to meet up with Seolhee.

“I’m not going to wait. I’m going to find her right now!” He declared.

Despite Jinki’s protests, Kibum pulled him along. He sat himself in the driver’s seat, shoving Jinki into the passenger’s seat.

“Hey, you’re too drunk to drive! Get out of the driver’s seat!” He scolded, shoving Kibum’s shoulder.

The latter grunted in return and pulled the gear into drive. “I got this. I promise we’ll be safe.”

A goofy grin replaced his drunken state and if Jinki hadn’t known, he would’ve thought he was sober.

But he did know.

Even as Kibum was driving, Jinki continued to persuade him to pull over and let him drive. As persistent as Kibum ever was, he stubbornly refused.

“I can handle it,” he reassured him sharply. “Look, I can drive perfectly straight!”

He nodded to the road in front of him and indeed, he was driving perfectly fine. Jinki thought that it might be all right. They would make it safely to see Seolhee. Kibum and Seolhee would be able to make up.

I am such a good person, Jinki thought to himself, shaking his head happily. They better thank me later on.

Jinki focussed his attention back to the road, his eyes squinting at the bright light headed towards them. Before Jinki could even finish his thought, he knew what was coming up ahead.

They were on the wrong side of the road.

“Kibum watch out!”

Jinki immediately steered the car towards the right. The SUV collided with the side of their car, Kibum garnering much of the impact. He let out a painful yelp and they skidded to the right, thankfully not flipping over. The tires let out a bloodcurdling screech, skidding to a violent stop. Kibum felt as if thousands of needles were pricking at his left side and he felt blood trickling down the side of his arm and head.

Besides for a few bruises, Jinki was more or less not as injured. He looked to Kibum and let out a sigh of relief; at least he hadn’t lost consciousness. Jinki scanned Kibum from bottom to the top and thought he was fine until his eyes landed on his face. His features were all scrunched up in pain and he bit his lip tightly.

Gently laying his hand on Kibum’s shoulder, Jinki asked, “Are you all right?”

Kibum couldn’t even manage a word but he shook his head.

Jinki unbuckled his seatbelt and leaned over to Kibum’s other side. A short, quick gasp left his mouth. He was shocked, horrified. What was he going to do?

Quickly, he unbuckled Kibum’s seatbelt as well. In the corner of his eye, he saw a girl running towards their ruined car in hysterics.

Seolhee.

He relaxed slightly knowing that he would have extra help carrying the drunken Kibum out of the car. He hadn’t noticed the small glisten of her tears threatening to fall. He hadn’t seen her panicked face. He only acknowledged the fact that he had extra help. He only needed to make sure he stayed awake long enough to bring Kibum to a safer place.

She opened Kibum’s car door and helped Jinki bring Kibum down to the floor. Wrapping his arms around their neck and shoulders, they walked to the closest bench and seated themselves there.

Though Jinki’s limbs were exhausted, he stood and left the couple to call for an ambulance. Truthfully, he only wanted to give them some time to talk.

You guys owe me another one, Jinki thought. Better thank me for all these good deeds later.

Seolhee watched Jinki’s back get smaller and smaller until he was nearly invisible to the eye. She took a peek at the wound on his arm and shuddered. It was deep and bleeding too much. Without much thought, she took off her cardigan and wrapped it around his arm carefully. Although she knew she should’ve washed it properly with water first, she didn’t have any. Stopping the bleeding was her most important task at the moment.

Once she was finished, she sat back down on the bench. She didn’t even so much as spare a glance at him, afraid of what he might say. She looked down at her fingers and fiddled with them nervously.

But she wanted to know how he was doing. If his injuries were hurting him the core.

If everything he said at the bar was true.

The quiet night surrounded the couple, only the faint sounds of sirens echoing in the distance.

“How are you holding up?” She asked him softly, finally looking up and gazing into his eyes.

He gazed softly into her warm brown orbs, absorbed by her alluring voice.

“I’ve been better,” he hummed back.

He took the hand on her lap and placed it on his chest, right where his heart was. Seolhee could feel the fast beating of his heart and she felt her cheeks flush.

“But I think I’m feeling much better now.”

A cheeky grin spread across his face and she felt a smile grow on her own lips. But gradually, her smile contorted into a sob.

A tear dripped down to her lap followed quickly by another. Kibum’s face fell slightly and he outstretched his arm to wipe the tears away.

“I thought you would die,” she told him between sobs.

“I’m sorry Kibum. I forgive you. So don’t ever go to the bar and get drunk ever again,” she threatened, albeit her threats sounded more like pleas.

He chuckled. “What makes you think I’m still drunk?” He asked with an amused grin.

“T-Then what about all those things you said at the bar?”

His eyes widened. Shock plastered the width of his face. “You heard everything I said?”

She nodded. “Most of it.”

He rubbed his forehead annoyingly. “That Jinki…” He muttered. “He’s going to get it.”

Kibum dug his hand into his jacket pocket, searching for her gift. With a firm grip on the chain, he brought it up and held it to her eyes. Still sobbing, she glanced at the necklace and her eyes dilated.

“This is for you,” he told her in a soft voice. “I was going to give it to you that night but…”

His voice trailed off but he continued.

“Can I put it on for you?”

A hopeful smile spread across his face and she nodded. He wrapped his hands around her, clicking the chain in place. His fingers lightly grazed against the skin on her neck, sending shivers down her spine.

“It looks beautiful on you,” he complimented sheepishly.

She smiled at him, whispering a thank you to him. He revealed the key necklace dangling on his neck and Seolhee let out an inaudible gasp.

“Only I know you the best. And only you know me the best.

I love you Seolhee and no one can tell us otherwise.”

He leaned in, capturing her lips in a bittersweet kiss. The tears washed down her cheek and Kibum’s fingers lightly brushed them away. His large hands held her cheeks in place, deepening the kiss further.

They broke away, panting heavily. Kibum leaned his forehead against hers, his eyes smiling at her. She searched his eyes and found nothing but love. Love for her and no one else.

She shouldn’t have doubted him in the first place. He loved her and she loved him; that was all that mattered.

Her lips curled up into a smile and she whispered,

“I love you too.”