The Truth

I Choose To Love You

 

I was about to scream but then the guy covered my mouth and gave me a reassuring look. The guy looked to be in his early 40s and he was wearing a suit and a of bunch expensive looking stuff. Fancy much?

“Don’t be scared. I’m just here to take you to the airport. Are you ready or do you need a few more minutes to calm yourself?” the man said. I shook my head and he took my suitcases to his car. How did I not notice that car when I was coming home?

The car ride was silent. I wanted to ask so many questions but I was too scared. I tried not to show it by looking out the window with what I hoped was a blank face. We arrived at JFK international airport and the man just carried my suitcases and took care of everything. I still didn’t know where I was going. I sat in one of the chairs waiting to board the plane. I was anxious. Where was I going? I looked around and saw a bunch of Asians. So am I going to Asia? OH my gosh what if someone is going to kill me?!?! I guess he noticed me looking around and spoke up.

“Don’t worry you’ll be fine. Trust me you won’t get hurt.” He looked at me with a smile on his face. It made me feel safe. I don’t know why though.

“If I won’t get hurt then what about my parents?”

“I wouldn’t worry about them. Right now just relax and know that you’ll be safe just trust me.”

As if on cue, the flight attendants started boarding people on the plane. We both boarded and I was seriously shocked.

“WE’RE SITTING IN FIRST CLASS?!?!” I yelled. Every time I was on a plane (traveling across to California or Florida) I never ever sat in first class. Oh gosh this is so cool. I totally trust this guy now.

He smiled at me and sat me down next to the window. The chair was nice and soft and there was so much leg room! I LOVE IT! There was a TV in front to. Nice I won’t get bored. OH this is starting to get exciting! After a few minutes we were finally in the air. I learned that we were heading to South Korea. That made me think. Maybe Amanda and Byunghyun are right about me being Korean. Nah I’m just gonna let it pass. Since it was night time I decided to sleep

SKIPPING PLANE RIDE

We finally arrived at Incheon International Airport. (A/N their bathrooms oh ma gah! It’s amazing). The man took all my stuff and we grabbed a cab. He spoke to the cab driver and told him our information. I was too busy looking out the window to pay attention. Everything was different. I don’t know why but I felt more at home here. On the road I decided to ask the man all my questions. I didn’t have time before because I was too busy sleeping or eating.

“Hey. Out of curiosity why am I here? What did my parents do? Will I really never see them again?” He looked at me with a bit of sadness in his eyes. That alarmed me a bit.

“Don’t worry. Once we arrive to our destination all your answers will be revealed. Just wait a bit more.”

With that said I kept my mouth shut and anticipated my arrival. After 2 or 3 hours we arrived in front of a house. It was small but cute. The man grabbed my stuff and brought me inside. I was told to sit in the living room. Looking around I saw pictures of a family of 3. There was so many and they looked so happy. Back home we had no pictures of us together. Only the one in my wallet. My parents were always busy and didn’t have enough time for me. I understood and just let it be. Looking at these pictures though made me very envious. Where I sat there was a picture beside me. It was the family again but with 4 people. The father, mother and two babies. One looked familiar, to familiar. I guess I will be living with them for now on. Judging from the pictures they seem really nice and close. I hope they’re nice to me too.

A few minutes past and I heard someone come in the living room. It was the woman from the picture. She was really pretty and looked young but you can tell her age by her fashion. I stood up to greet her.

“Minah, is that you?” she said. She looked like she was anticipating my answer. I nodded my head and she squealed for joy. She ran up to me and hugged me. Shocked I just stood there not really knowing what to do. Why is she hugging me as if she knew me? I have to admit her hug felt warm and motherly. I liked it. Next thing I knew she was off me and I saw the man from the picture. He was a little chubbier.

“Sorry about her. Please sit down and we will explain everything.” He said with a smile.

I sat down and looked at them confused. What was going on?

The woman spoke “Please don’t be alarmed and listen to every word we say. Please don’t interrupt until we’ve said everything.” I nodded. I just wanted to know what is going on.

“So sweetie. Where to begin? Well your parents aren’t you’re real parents. In fact we are. You are our long lost daughter. We’ve been searching for you for years. What happened was the couple who raised you stole you from us. They used to be our friends but we didn’t know how crazy they could be. When they heard that we will be having a child they were a bit to enthusiastic. They kept saying how lucky we are and how much they wish us the best. 4 months later we learned we were having twins. Fraternal twins at that. One boy and one girl. We were so excited and so were they. They kept saying how they wished they could have a child to. Your so called mother was unable to get pregnant and they didn’t have enough money to adopt a child. So when you were born they took you from us. We were all sleeping at the hospital and they took you. Their mistake was that they left many fingerprints and DNA. This let us know it was them. From that day on we vowed to find you and we did. They lied to you. They lied about your race and theirs. They changed their names and kept you hidden. They made sure you mostly stayed with someone they knew when they couldn’t be with you. Luckily we were able to get you back and they are somewhere in this world. We just hope they won’t come and get you back.” He said.

I sat there trying to take in all this information. It all made sense. The private schools. The no seeing friends much. Always being stuck with some relative who I know wasn’t even related to me. And also being told I don’t look like my parents or my so called race. I was really Korean. I was a stolen child. What the heck! SO this is their crime? I didn’t want to believe it but I knew it was true. It made way to much sense to me.

“So if you’re my parents then, who’s the guy who picked me up?”

“He is your uncle. My younger brother.” My mom said. Well that explains why I felt safe with him. “Now listen. Your father and I are very busy people so we won’t be able to take care of you much which pains us. SO we’ve arranged for you to live in an apartment. You’ll be neighbors with your brother and his friends. Your uncle will be across the street so you won’t be lonely. You’re welcome to visit us anytime though and we’ll provide you with everything you need. We’ll make sure to check up on you all the time to make sure you’re adjusting well.”

“Wait, so you’re saying I won’t be staying with you and I have a brother?”

“Yes your father said so earlier. You have a twin brother Minah. I’m sure you two will get along. We’re terribly sorry that we can’t take care of you though. But you’ll only be a 30 minute walk away from us so you can come here anytime.”

I just sat there. Letting all this sink in. Ok so my parents are not my real parents. The people in front of me are my real parents. The man who picked me up and brought me here is my uncle and I have a twin brother and we’re fraternal. I’m Korean and l will now be living in Korea. Well at least I’m not in total danger like how I thought and I’ll be able to talk to Amanda. Plus I can speak Korean. Thank you Amanda for forcing me to take classes with her. Well I guess this explains why I was always able to pick up on the language so quickly.

“Sweetie, you’re brother will come pick you up in 2 hours. You can do whatever you want while I go cook so we can all have dinner.” My mom said. I just noticed that it was only me and her in the room.

“Where’s dad?” I asked. A huge smile spread across her face. I bet she’s happy that I so easily referred to the other man as my dad.

“He went with your uncle to the business. Speaking of which we never told you our occupation. You see we own Hwang Corporations with our other family members. We own a bunch of malls, restaurants and hotels. Don’t worry you’re not the heir to the company but you are expected to help out a bit when the time comes. This leaves you to be whatever you want to be in life.”

Whatever I want to be? Wow this is nice. I was always expected to be a doctor, lawyer, or nurse. This is great!

“Ah ok. Then I’ll be glad to help. So I’m guessing Hwang is my last name?”

“Yes it is. Now I should start cooking.”

She got up and left for the kitchen. I followed her and started to help. She disagreed at first but let me anyways. I enjoyed it. We cooked all these Korean foods that I would usually make with Amanda. Speaking of her I shall tell her about this soon. After 2 hours the food was done and dad was back with uncle. I started setting the table and was about to drop a plate when a hand went a caught it for me.