Before I Leave

I Choose To Love You

 

I finally arrived home. It was all quiet, to quiet. It really creeped me out so I ran up to my room and locked the door. Pacing back and forth I kept thinking of the letter and what that Byunghyun kid kept saying. What the fudge is the stupid crime my parents committed and why did that Byunghyun kid have to be so persistent on me looking Korean? Was I perhaps adopted? If so why wasn’t I told? Maybe it’s just the guy’s thinking. I mean al my family members say I look like a mix of my parents and my friends….well in all honestly they never really met my parents. In retrospect I never really bothered showing a picture to them. I took out the letter and reread it over and over. I wish they left me a clue but there is none. It’s to vague and only told me to do one thing, and that is to pack. Getting up, I grabbed two huge suitcases and started to pack. I didn’t really have much of importance, just my clothes and laptop. Everything else was just stuff to decorate my room. Once I was done packing all of my necessities I took out my phone to check the time. It was around 5 so I decided to text Amanda to meet me at the park near my house. I decided that I should just tell her everything that has happened in like 3 hours.

I arrived at the park a little earlier then the meeting time. I decided to walk around a bit. I really loved the park. The scenery was always nicer compared to the hustle and bustle of the city. I always came here when I just need peace and quiet. I looked around and tried to soak up every detail of this place. Most of my fondest memories were held here. Who knows if I’ll ever see it again. I mean I was told to pack and to not forget my passport. That obviously means that I’m leaving the country. Well at least I’ll finally be able to see a different country. Pffftt Watch me end up going to Canada. -____-

“MINAH!!!”

I turned to see my best friend Amanda running up to me. I smiled at her but even I knew it was a sad one. She noticed it and asked what was wrong. I sat her down on the bench and told her everything. The one thing I liked about her was how she never interrupted me when I was speaking. She always listened quietly and would reply intellectually. Ironic cause when it comes to her asian obsessions (she loves kpop, jpop and any kind of asian drama and anime) she’s wild and crazy. She says its normal fangirling. I say otherwise. I mean who stays up all night just to wait for the release of a music video on the night of a final? (A/N lol me)

When I was done telling her about my dilemma she stayed quiet. I guess she was shocked too. We just sat there in silence for a while. I guess she was thinking about everything I said.

“Minah?” I heard her say after a while.

“Yeah?”

“Since you’re going to leave, do you think you’ll still be able to contact me? I mean who knows where you’ll end up going. If their crime was really bad you might end up on a private island where no one could find you. I really don’t want to see you hurt or anything”

It pained me to see her so sad and caring. Despite my over protective parents, she was able to look past all that and stick by my side even though my parents didn’t let me hang out with her most of the time. I still don’t understand why. I just let it pass since I was too lazy to put up a fight and ask why. Now that I think about it, maybe it has something to do with this stupid crime.

“I really don’t know but if I can contact you somehow I will. I promise you’re the only real friend I ever had.” I started tearing up thinking that I’ll never see her again. Who’s gonna put up with my laziness and help me when I’m down? Who’s gonna sing like an idiot with me when a random song comes on the radio? Who’s gonna write music with me and push me to my limits to make sure I do the best I can? Most importantly, who’s gonna stay with me for being me? She’s the only one who ever understood my situation and was there for me in a heartbeat and vice versa. To me she was like the sister I never had but would gladly want.

After a while of sitting in silence we decided to grab some ice cream and walk around the park some more. We just talked about everything we can. I didn’t have much time left. I didn’t know when that guy will come and pick me up like my parents said. They only said he’ll come by night time. The rest of the day we we’re at arcades and shopping a bit. It was around 8 when I decided that I should go home. Amanda decided to walk me home for one last time. I let her because I didn’t want to get rid of something I was used to yet.

Upon reaching my house I turned to say goodbye to Amanda but she beat me to it and said “I’m really gonna miss you. If you can contact me make sure you do. Don’t get yourself killed ok.” I nodded trying to hold my tears. I don’t like crying in front of people. It makes me look weak and puts a burden on them.  “You know Minah, I’ve been thinking. That Byunghyun kid was right. You do look Korean. You barely look like your parents as well. I mean I barely remember what they look like since I only seen them once but I do remember a bit. You look nothing like them. Just thought I would say that.”

With that said she gave me a tight hug and started to cry.  With that I started to break down. I knew we looked stupid but right now I really needed this. She let go and left and with one last look she grabbed a cab and left. I stood there for a bit, trying to calm myself and entered my house. Since the lights were off I tripped over my suitcases. Wait…..suitcases? I thought I left those in my room. I got up and limped to the light switch above me and the lights. Next thing I knew I was face to face with some old man.