Fate and An Invisible Lie

Take Care

A happy couple was walking down the street. They were enjoying a view of Seoul in summer. It was a bright day. No one, including them, had expected that day to be the last day for them.

“Oppa, ppalli! Let’s buy some ice cream!” said Han Yoora, with a beautiful smile plastered on her face, towards her boyfriend, a tall blond-haired guy, Jo Youngmin. She took his left hand, walked along the street while holding his warm hand.

The guy chuckled. “Arasseo, arasseo..,” he said and grinned to Yoora. “Ah, ppali Oppa! We’re almost there!” said Yoora when she saw the ice cream cafe at the opposite side of the street.

They were crossing the empty street, when suddenly a truck with high speed went to their way. “Aaaah!!!”

Their unison screaming voice was the last sound before a loud smash sound was heard. Two weak body were thrown to the street. Soon, their body were covered in blood. The cafe workers and pedestrians went closer to help them.

The truck driver get off from the car. “Are they….”,

He didn’t finish his words as soon as he saw blood. Got panicked, he had no choice, he called an ambulance.



The telephone in the living room rang. Jo Kwangmin, Youngmin’s twin brother, who was watching TV, surprised a bit by that sound. Lazily, he walked to the telephone desk. “Hello…,” he said when he picked up the phone.

“Hello, is this Jo Youngmin’s house?” said a voice.

“Ah, yes. Who’s this?”

“This is from Seoul Central Hospital. Jo Youngmin-ssi had an accident with Han Yoora-ssi, and he is now in a critical condition and need further medication. Can his guardian come here?” Soon Kwangmin’s face became pale. What had happened to Youngmin?

“A-ah.. yes. I understand.” -click-

“Eommaaaaaa!” Kwangmin shouted calling his mom. “Ya, ya! What happened?” asked his mother.

“Eomma, Hyung… Now, he’s in a hospital! It’s urgent eomma!!” he said fastly.

With the same respond as Kwangmin, his mom became pale. They both went to the hospital.



“Jo Youngmin needs to undergo surgery as soon as possible. However, he is having hemorrhage. It is dangerous and he needs more blood. Since we have no more A+ blood, could one of his family…” the nurse explained the situation, but Kwangmin said quickly, “Me. I’ll donate my blood.”

“Ah, good. Please come with me.” said the nurse. Kwangmin didn’t care how much he had to donate. He had to save his hyung. Nothing else he could do. He lied on the patient bed and let the nurse took his blood. Laying down on the bed, he was thinking of Youngmin, also Yoora. Bit by bit, his blood filled the blood bag.

After he donated his blood, Kwangmin saw his mother was talking with Yoora’s parents. He could see Yoora’s mom, who usually always smiled, was crying uncontrollably, while her husband couldn’t do anything to calm her down. Kwangmin came closer.

“Eomma….. what happened to Yoora?” With that one question, Yoora’s eomma cried even more. “Yeobo.. calm down…” said Yoora’s appa.

Kwangmin’s eomma looked at him with an apologetic look. “E-eomma… w-what happened?”

“Yoora…,” said her appa, “she… now… she is in a coma.” said Yoora’s appa with a weak voice. Kwangmin hoped what he just heard was wrong. His hyung is in a critical condition, and now Yoora is in a coma.

“Ajussi… where’s Yoora?,” is the only words he could say.

“She’s now in the ICU,” said Yoora’s appa. Kwangmin could see his eyes tearing. “Ah, ajussi....” he said.

Kwangmin went to the ICU unit with weak steps. How could world be so cruel. He saw Yoora from the window. She was there, sleeping with a peaceful expression, with many medical equipments to support her.

Yoora, who had always been cheerful, now lying there, without moving even a bit. “Yoora… please wake up. I need… No, Hyung needs you, he wants to see you when he wakes up.” he said while looking at Yoora.



After several hours, Youngmin’s surgery ended. Doctor said even though his surgery had done perfectly, he was in an unstable condition. Youngmin’s mom cried so hard because of this.

“Eomma… you can go home now. You’re really tired. I’ve told appa to pick you up,” Kwangmin said. He couldn’t bear to see his mom cried. “No. I want to stay by Youngmin’s side,” their mother insisted.

“Eomma… Hyunmin needs you. I’ll take care of hyung. I’ll sleep here tonight.”

“But.. you…,”

“Eomma.. Since I was in your tummy, I’ve always slept together with Hyung. We’re twins, right? The last person I see every time before I sleep is him. Let me take care of him, okay?” he persuaded his mom. His mom nodded then hugged Kwangmin and looked at Youngmin’s room.

“Then, please, Kwangmin-ah… Take care of your hyung.” her mother finally said with teary eyes. Kwangmin only nodded.



Kwangmin was sleeping when he felt something landed on his head. He opened his eyes and he saw Youngmin was smiling weakly to him. “Hyung!” he said in surprise. “Hyung, finally! I’ll- I’ll call the doctor, hyung!” He was about to leave when Youngmin’s hand grabbed his.

Kwangmin looked at his twin. “Kwangmin-ah….” Youngmin said, almost whispered, “please… take care of Yoora….” he said. Kwangmin didn’t understand what his hyung meant.

“N-nae.. Ah, hyung! Wait here! I’ll call the doctor!”

Kwangmin left the room, while Youngmin, weakly, closed his eyes.



“U-uuh…” a weak voice was released from Yoora’s mouth as she opened her eyes for the first time after a week. She saw a white ceiling, then, her appa's  face. “Yoo-Yoora!!” her dad said. “Yeobo!” he called Yoora’s mom who was arranging the flower in that room.

“Yoora! Yoora, are you awake? Oh, Thank God!” her mom said gratefully. She almost cried. “I’ll call the doctor,” Her husband said and ran to see the Doctor.

“Eomma…,” Yoora said, still in a weak voice. “Why… I’m… here? Where’s… Youngmin Oppa…?” she asked.

“Uhm… He’s…,” Yoora’s mom stopped. She couldn’t tell her daughter how Youngmin died right after he awoke.

“Eomma…”

“You two… were involved in an accident, and… you were in a coma, while he…. he had serious….” right before her mother explained everything, she saw the door opened. Yoora’s father and the doctor came in. “See, doctor, she’s awake.” said her dad.

“Let me check your condition first.” said the doctor.



Few days later, Yoora had discharged from the hospital. Right after she came back to her home, Kwangmin came to her house. Kwangmin only stood in front of her door and handed Yoora some papers.

“Yoora, here are copies of my notes. You can ask me if you don’t understand the lesson later. Bye.” he said quickly and turned his back.

She grabbed his jacket. “K-kwangmin-ah…” Kwangmin froze. He couldn’t see Yoora’s eyes. He couldn’t tell her what happened to Youngmin. But he also couldn’t forget what he had said to Youngmin before Youngmin passed away. He would take care of Yoora.

“K-kwangmin… tell me,” she said, hoping Kwangmin would tell her. “Tell you what?” Kwangmin turned around, but he didn’t look at Yoora’s eyes.

“…Youngmin Oppa… where is he?” Yoora said with a weak voice. She missed that guy. She missed Jo Youngmin, the guy she really loved. But he had never shown up in front of her since she woke up from her coma.

Kwangmin didn’t answered her. His eyes started to get teary. He held his breath. “H-he… he… We… need to bring him… to a larger hospital so he could get a better treatment,” he lied. “That’s why… he couldn’t meet you now.”

“Is his condition really bad? I want to visit him…” Yoora said worriedly. “Andwae…” Kwangmin suddenly said, he made Yoora surprised.

“A-ah, I mean, your condition is still weak. Not now, Yoora-ya.” Yoora stoned. His tone when he said ‘Yoora-ya’ was really similar to Youngmin’s.

“You better take a rest now, I’ll leave. Bye.” Kwangmin said, dragged Yoora’s soul back to the reality. Kwangmin had turned and went out from her house.

“Oppa…” Yoora whispered. Tears were falling from her eyes. She missed him so bad. She felt really sorry towards him and she wanted to meet him as soon as possible. But Kwangmin was right. Her parents wouldn’t let her go anywhere. She had to be patient. “Wait for me oppa…”

Outside her house, Kwangmin burst into tears. “Mianhae, Yoora…” he said while looking at Yoora’s house. “Hyung…” he looked at the sky, ” will I be able to take care of her like you did?”

—–

to be continued…

 

>.< Comments are appreciated...