Rain

Red Strings of Fate

 

“is it fun, hyung? Playing basketball?” Chanyeol cheerfully asks Yifan when they are walking back together from the park. Chanyeol’s feet are still hurting from the accident a couple days ago that he can’t do his afternoon routine cycling around the neighborhood. It takes only an hour to make Chanyeol and Yifan close and they become friends instantly.

Today Chanyeol is accompanying Yifan playing basketball in the park, watching excitedly as the older boy dribbles and tries to score into the ring which fails not-so-miserably. Chanyeol laughs at Yifan’s fail attempts and continues to cheer him louder than before. Well, since the ring was too high, Yifan could only score less than ten balls out of what seem like hundreds shoots.

“It’s fun alright. Why you no play basketball?” Yifan plays the ball in his hands and occasionally dribbles it on the street.

“Nope, I hate sweating too much.” Chanyeol winches a little because of the pain in his feet.

They walk together in a comfortable silence. Yifan is a fast-walker by nature, but he intentionally walks slower so Chanyeol can keep up beside him and hoping that his right foot is alright.

It’s when Chanyeol hums quietly into Crayon Shinchan’s theme song that Yifan looks up excitedly at Chanyeol and stares at him with an amazement.

“You know Shinchan too?”

“Eh? Shinchan who?”

“That song!! You just hummed the song!!”

“Aaaah do you mean Janggu?” Chanyeol finally understands.

“No, it’s Shinchan, not Janggu.” Yifan corrects him, frown decorating his face.

“It’s called Janggu here, you babo hyung-nim.” He chuckles seeing Yifan’s serious face.

“I’m not stupid, Shin-Chanyeol.” Yifan flicks Chanyeol’s forehead lightly.

“My name is Park Chanyeol, hyung.” Chanyeol walks away while rubbing his forehead.

“Whatever~! I’ll call you Shin-Chanyeol from now on.” He dashes forward and throws his arm on Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol just keeps silent and continues to walk towards their homes.

The rain starts pouring in the halfway. Yifan starts to run faster and stops abruptly when realizing Chanyeol is still lagging behind.

“Chanyeol-ah, come on~!!” Yifan’s voice is drowned out by the rain.

“You can go first, hyung. I still can’t run fast.” Chanyeol tries to run while dragging his wounded feet.

“Do you want me to piggyback you, Yeol-ah?” Yifan runs back to Chanyeol’s side and puts his hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder to help him.

“No, no need, hyung. I’m fine~ you should go home first.”

But Yifan stays and walks beside Chanyeol until they reach their home.

 

*

 

“You okay, Yeol-ah?” Yifan is leaning on the balcony, holding the phone and staring into the balcony across his house.

The curtains are drawn open and a boy comes out, cocooning himself in a thick blanket. “I’m okay, hyung. It just feels quite cold tonight,” answers Chanyeol, sniffling his nose.

“Are you sick?” Yifan is staring worriedly to the boy across him. “I’m sorry, Chanyeol-ah. I should have just piggyback you so you wouldn’t be hit by the rain,” says Yifan as he slumps behind the balcony bars.

Chanyeol sneezes loudly before following Yifan to sit down behind his balcony bars. “Don’t be sorry, hyung. I’m fine~ and if you don’t know, I was so happy walking with you under the rain like that.”

Yifan keeps silent, feeling guilty. The silence is awkward since both of them don’t say any word, just staring at each other. Chanyeol hesitates to say anything because he’s afraid that Yifan will worry about him.

“hyung?” says Chanyeol after five minutes or so.

“Lou should go to sleep, Yeol-ah~”

“Later, hyung, if you promise me you won’t be worried about me tonight.” Chanyeol insists.

“B-but, Chanyeol-ah, you sound sick already. Are you sure you don’t have any fever?”

“I am okay, stubborn Yifan hyung-nim. I’ll just get some beauty sleep and tomorrow I will be ready to serve you again, my Dragon prince.”

Chanyeol is losing his patience and Yifan is amused, he always thinks that irritated-Chanyeol is cute. And as usual, Yifan is always the first to give in.

“Okay, then.” Yifan chuckles from the other line. “Go inside and sleep, my baby Phoenix.”

“Let’s get inside and then hang up together, hyung.” Chanyeol stands up and pats the invisible dust on his pants.

“Good night, Shin-Chanyeol.” He shuffles inside and hangs up the phone before Chanyeol can protest. He could barely see Chanyeol pouting out there but he just waves him off in return, waiting until the latter boy to draw his curtain close and turn off his light.

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'm soooooooo sorry for the super late update and another short chapter.. ><

maybe I should go back to write one-shot only.. T_T

it's almost 1AM here so please forgive me if there's any typo or grammar mistake.. *bows*

thank you for reading, and please do comment & subscribe