six ;

Polaroid, You

 

006

 

 

 

 

A matter of fact – Kim Myungsoo is not being the usual Kim Myungsoo today. Myungsoo has no idea of what has he become today – nor does he feel guilty about it. For once in his life, doing spontaneous things actually feels good, and doing it with a stranger that he barely knows for less than a couple of hours – feels even better.

 

Myungsoo leans himself against the side of the window pane beside the entrance door, waiting for the two ex-lovebirds to bid their goodbyes. He throws a few glances at Hyunsik and Lizzy; Hyunsik is ruffling and patting her hair, then a moment later, they hug for a bit and bid their farewell. He scoffs. Myungsoo still doesn’t understand of why they can still be friends, but he decides to shrug it off – it's none of his business. He glances over to his watch, it’s a quarter over 9 o’clock. The morning is still early; the streets are still pretty empty, although there are a few cars pass by every now and then.

 

He pretends to play with his camera, when he sees the pair finally walk towards the entrance door.

 

“Don’t forget to text me when you reach home safely, alright?” Hyunsik says, extending his hand to open the door for her. “And don’t forget to send my regards to your parents.”

 

“Aye, aye, captain!” She returns with a salute. Myungsoo catches that, how amusing.

 

“By the way, Myungsoo-ssi?” Hyunsik glances over to Myungsoo, who is standing next to them, pretending to be uninterested. “Please take a good care of Sooyoung.” He says. “Although, she might get on your nerves sooner or later.” He murmurs in between the thin air.

 

“Yah- I can actually hear that, you know.” Lizzy snaps, folding her arms over her chest.

 

“She already is annoying to me.” Myungsoo replies, with a light chuckle.

 

 

When farewell is set, now it’s back to scratch again, Kim Myungsoo and Park Sooyoung alone, strolling around the streets with no clear destinations or purposes. The sound of the birds chirping accompany their walks, the refreshing sunlight of morning shimmers over them and the creaking sound of cars’ engines channels towards their ears. This feels awkwardly new to Kim Myungsoo.  

 

 

“Where do you want to go?” He breaks the silence, with his hands in his pockets, lightly kicking some small stones, and fallen old leaves along the traceless path.

 

“I don’t know, you tell me. You’re the Seoul guy, I’m the Busan girl.”

 

“Which is exactly why, I’m asking you, Busan girl.” He snaps back, narrowing his eyes.

 

“Hmm, is the main town still far ahead from here?”

 

“Quite far. It takes 3 stops, and 2 subway stations stop.” He continues. “Unless, we go there by car.”

 

“But we don’t have a car.” She sighs.

 

“Do you really want to go there?” Myungsoo stops in his tracks, and stares at her.

 

She gives a slight nod, bitting her lower lip. Myungsoo takes that as a yes.

 

“Well, I have a friend that lives somewhere around here. I think he could give us a ride.”

 

 

She jumps off her feet, in excitement, clapping her hands together. Shen then grabs Myungsoo’s arm and drags him along the streets. “I saw a playground across the streets when we first came, let’s go there before you friend arrives.”

 

Myungsoo shakes his head – but still, he lets Lizzy to drag him.

 

The playground is pretty big and spacious for somewhat a small neighbourhood. There are two sets of swings, a few seesaws, merry-go-round, some monkey bars, a rather large jungle gym, and of course, the ever so famous, playground slides. Because it’s morning, the playground is empty and it’s all left for the two of them.

 

Lizzy quickly turns into a 10-year-old; she goes from one recreational equipment to another, and she runs around in her bouncy steps, giggling all the way. Myungsoo could only smile watching from the sideways, refuses to join her along – because he thinks it’s embarrassing.

 

 

“Yah- Kim Myungsoo! Let’s play seesaws.” She yells, already has her bottom fixed on the seesaw’s board.

 

“That’s very childish of you, Lizzy. We’re not kids, anymore.” He replies, folding his arms.

 

“But we’re not that any older too.” She continues. “Come on, Myungsoo. You can stop playing cool. It’s not attractive.”

 

 

Myungsoo narrows his eyes. Ohh, so she thinks he’s trying to act cool, all this while, huh? He scoffs and makes his way towards the already excited, Lizzy. “What are you going to give me in return if I say yes to your childish request?”

 

 

“Happiness, and childhood memories.”

 

 

Happiness and childhood memories. These four words are dancing around in his head. He doesn’t recall the last time he went to a playground. He doesn’t have a lot of good memories of it either. But he recalls running around with his childhood friends, eating ice-creams together, playing cops and thieves, and he recalls how he learnt to ride a bicycle, with his dad as his coach. He had a lot of bruises because of the trips and falls too. Myungsoo smiles at the thoughts of it.

 

 

“Fine, but you owe me some ice-creams.” He agrees as he hops on the seesaw’s board and places his bag pack, and Polaroid camera, beside the seesaw.

 

“Did you often go to the playground when you’re little?” Lizzy cracks the first question.

 

“Nope, not really. I was the kind of kid who rather stays at home, drawing and playing with my own toys.”

 

“So, you have a boring childhood then?”

 

“Well, I move a lot from one place to another. So, I didn’t really have a lot of friends, back then.”

 

“That’s kind of sad.” She replies.

 

He chuckles. “What about you, little miss forever happy. Did you always go to the playground?”

 

“I used to, but-” She pauses for a while. “But, not until my parents got divorced.”

 

 

Myungsoo takes that as a cue to stop uttering any more words. But he continues to play along together with Lizzy at the seesaws, and he feels relief when he sees that Lizzy is still smiling, and giggling her trademark giggles. It’s his favourite tone of the day. For a while, Myungsoo finds his childhood memories to be very endearing. He actually misses it. 

 

A loud honk of a car, startles both Myungsoo and Lizzy, who are still, drown in their own little worlds at the playground.  Myungsoo squints his eyes, and looks over his shoulders. Myungsoo smiles at what he sees. It’s a familiar figure with shades, covering his eyes from the sunlight, as the guy steps out from his red-coloured, four wheel drive car.

 

“Yah- Kim Myungsoo, what the heck are you doing with the seesaw?”

 

 

 


p.s: I love it when readers make guesses :) So, shall we play another guessing game? Try to guess who's the guy in the shades? A hint, he's a 92-liner as well :) To new subscribers and readers, thank you so much ^^ and btw, I'm going for a short two-days trip tomorrow, so I might not be able to update so soon. Unless, if my brain starts to get a few ideas tonight lol. Until then, thank you for all the support & let's give more love to our MyungLiz <3