CHAPTER 5: BLACK

The Way You Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Annyeong!  Did you guys wait for a long time?  I'm sorry for the late update, but it seems like this story is coming to an end!  Sad, I know!  But let's get to it, scroll down!

 

No One’s POV

AREUM!

AREUM…

Areum-ah…Areum-ah, jebal!

Pali…ireona…ireona!

 

Y…Yoseob…oppa?

Is that…you?

Why do you sound so sad…why are you crying?

 

An exhale of air escaped from the girl’s lungs.  She roused one feeble eye.  Velvet, the word flashed into her mind.  Velvet pieces of cloth dangled above her head, like a tent that’s waiting to swallow her up whole.  Her eyes lifted another millimeter, and then she realized that they were curtains, in folds of black silk that ran down from the ceiling and flowed in four different directions from the bed. 

Areum sighed in exhaustion.  Her body felt numb; every nerve and joint paralyzed between the soft covers that she could not sense or touch.  She tried tilting her neck, and winced. Fighting back the screams of protest from her aching body, Areum slowly sat up, inch by inch, until she sat half-hunched on the bed.  But a sudden wave of dizziness sent her falling back into the pillows, and she groaned in the process.

“Areum…?”

The familiarity of his voice caused a jolt to her body.  No, it can’t be.  But her ears heard it loud and clear.

“Oppa…”

Areum turned her head to the left to see her guardian, alive and scarless and sitting next to her bed.  But Yoseob didn't look alive at all.  His face was gaunt and ghost-like, along with heavy eye bags that drooped from his bloodshot orbs.  His appearance looked haggard, as if he hasn’t slept or showered in days.

He was clutching her hand tightly against his. 

“Areum…” The demon croaked, his eyes not believing at the miraculous sight in front of him.  Yoseob quickly gave her hand a squeeze, finding it solid and warm underneath his fingers.  He looked back at her.  

“You’re alive…” Areum whispered.  She could not believe it.  Her saviour, her guardian, her best friend whom she had finally confessed her feelings to and sacrificed her life for, was standing next to her, holding her hand like he never wanted to get go. 

“You’re alive,” She repeated again.  And that was all it took.  Yoseob flung back the covers of the bed and tackled her into his arms.  Areum cried out loud from the pain of  their collision, making Yoseob immediately loosen his grip.  Mentally punching himself for hurting her, he instead hugged her using one arm, the other restraining Areum from seeing his streaked face.   

“Babo.  That’s my line.” Yoseob chocked over Areum’s shoulder.  He pulled her chest closer to his, afraid that she would disappear again any minute.  The growing lump in his throat worsened.  His hands were trembling.  His heart pounded in fear. 

 

I was scared to death.

When I saw your lifeless body, I felt like a part of me died as well.

 

“I thought I lost you…!” The pain returned to her chest as his hold tightened once again, crushing her against his torso.  But Areum did not complain.  Uncontrollable riverfalls of tears cascaded down her slowly reddening cheeks, her heart shattering upon hearing the bare truth of his words.  

 

And that’s when I wanted to die with you, so that you wouldn’t feel lonely.

I was willing to do anything.  I didn’t care anymore. 

 

“Oppa…!” The two stayed in that uncomfortable position for the longest time, her tears running vigorously down her face while he buried his face into her shoulder to mask his sobs.  Both hearts thumped in harmony after finding comfort in each others’ arms, and Areum reluctantly drew away. 

“Oppa—”

“Call me by my given name.” Yoseob said, stopping her.  His red eyes stared deeply into her brown ones, pleading her to comply with his request.  Areum nodded faintly, in a shaky breath.  “Yoseob-oppa.” She murmured.  The ends of his lips curled up in a tiny smile.  It sounded nice when she said that. 

“Go,” He commanded in a gentle voice.  The demon carefully picked her off the bed and carried her to a nearby door, which revealed to be a bathroom.  Once inside, Yoseob flicked his wrist and bubbles began to puff out of nowhere, eventually filling the bath tub in a sea of foam and hot water. 

Yoseob then turned to Areum.  “Let’s get you cleaned up,” He said.  The girl’s eyes widened.  Mwoh?  But Yoseob-oppa is in here!

“A-Ani, an-ni!  I c-can d-do it by m-mysel-lf!” Areum protested weakly, suddenly feeling very awkward about their current locations.  Yoseob probably realized the same after a while, for he stammered an “O-Oh!  J-Ja, I’ll b-be wa-iting for y-you o-outsi-ide!” and hastily closed the door behind him. 

Areum slowly peeled off the dirtied dress, along with her undergarments.  She tried to look for a basket or bin of some sort to put them in.  Finding no object in sight, she gave up and just folded them on top of the sink, and turned to view her reflection in the mirror.

Yoseob was right, she did look she could use a good cleanup; her long black strands were tangled and fisted into tiny balls, making her look a deranged person, while her face bore small cuts on her forehead, cheek, and on both arms and legs.  Random spots of blue and purplish bruises defiled her pale skin, darkening even more so in the eerie moonlight.  Areum gingerly lifted up one arm and gasped.  The flaming bracelet was still spinning around her wrist. 

She sat in the bath tub for a good half-hour, feeling the waters soothe her weak ligaments and washing away the grime and dirt from her past encounter.  She closed her eyes and tossed her head back.  The air was calm and still, making Areum feel strangely relaxed. 

A gentle knock was heard on her door.  Areum quickly sat up in the tub, sloshing water over the edges of the porcelain structure as she asked, “Neh?”

“Are you okay in there, Areum-ah?” Yoseob’s voice asked from the other side.  He sounded worried.  Areum quickly replied that she was fine, and hurriedly wrapped her body in a clean towel.  Then she remembered that she didn’t have a set of clothes.

“There are some clothes outside for you to change into.”  Areum flinched when she heard his next sentence.  It was as if he had read her mind.  Timidly, the girl poked her head out of the door to see Yoseob standing by the foot of the bed.  Beside him lay another black dress, this one more heavily layered and decorated with jewels.

“Try and see if it fits.  Don’t worry, I won’t peek.” Yoseob reassured her when she picked up the garment and glanced at him, unsure about his turned back.  The sound of a towel fell to the floor, followed by a few ruffles and a snap of a zip.  The demon’s eyes softened as he turned to look at her.  She was beautiful.

“Kaja,” He said, extending a hand.  Areum took it without hesitation. 

 

-////Throne Room////-

 

“We meet again, Song Areum-sshi.” The Queen said from her seat.  The room was deathly silent, and all eyes were on the girl dressed in black.  Areum gulped, straightening up from her low curtsey. 

“Neh, Your Majesty,” She murmured.  From the corner of her eyes, she saw Yoseob standing to the side, his gaze switching from her to the elder woman above.  Junhyung lounged a safe distance away, his face unusually solemn. 

Ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter