Chapter 2

Dreaming of You

"Can we slow down a bit, my feet are aching already and where are we going anyway?" I let myself be dragged towards who knows where, my eyes never leaving our intertwined hands and a small blush tainting my cheeks. I heard him slightly chuckle, his free hand parting the low vines and branches hanging from the trees.

 

"You'll see soon, Lady Ryeowook..." I had to bite my lower lip to stop myself from squealing, my hand almost dropping the hem of my ridiculously long and heavy dress -wait a minute, why am I wearing a dress? And did he just said LADY Ryeowook?!-. My feet were already aching from all the walking we did since we decided to escape that masquerade ball my parents had organized for my return after six long years of staying over my grandparents house to study all that manners a lady should learn then afterwards to meet that arrogant bastard Cho Kyuhyun, who's supposed to be my fiance. His hungry eyes never left my older sister, Sungmin since we arrived this morning.

 

I was debating myself on whether throwing a tantrum in front of my parents' guests, wealthy and respected ladies and gentlemen from the upper class, or just stay moping on the bathroom until the party would end, until this young lad, wearing clothes that were made of wool and cheap silk and were far more cheap than those silky and ornated ones of those arrogant and airy young lads at the party, came and swept me off of my feet as I was making my way to the lavatory. I took the chance of looking at him while he was so busy paving the grassy way for me to walk in, his other hand still clasping mine tightly. After all, the last time I saw him I was still a twelve year old boyish girl entering puberty and he was still a lanky and clumsy fourteen year old boy.

 

His hair was still the same messy black mop of hair that always barely reached his small and slanted eyes. His upper body that was once lanky were now lean and muscular through the thin fabric of his shirt. His short legs were still short, but it looked strong now compared when we were still young. His face turned from the chubby cheeked ones to a more matured one that I'm pretty sure a lot of girls might've had their eyes set on him.

 

And his voice...

 

Don't get me started on that deep baritone voice of his, leaving the squeaky pitched one behind after entering his puberty years. That voice still made me relaxed just like back then whenever he sings to me if I feel sad when we were still young. That's the reason why I gave him the nickname 'Yesung'.

 

Well I'm pretty sure you all want to know who is this guy I'm talking about. His name is Jongwoon, that young boy that used to play with me when we were young. That young boy that turned into every teenage girl's dream guy. The only one who captured my heart since we were kids.

 

And the only son of one of the workers in my family's orchard.

 

"Mi'lady, can I request you to close your eyes please?" I was suddenly startled when he suddenly called out to me, and only did I noticed that we already stopped walking and he was looking at me with curious eyes.

 

“Lady Ryeowook?" Ah, some things never change...

 

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me 'Wookie' when we're all alone?" I huffed as I sent him a glare that made him chuckle. He then stepped towards me and bowed slightly to look at me in the eyes. Thank heavens it's too dark for him to see the blush on my cheeks.

 

"And you should call me oppa, isn't it Wookie? Cause I'm still older than you. Now close your eyes and no cheating, ok?" I masked whatever glee I'm feeling-because his face is so close to mine-to a small glare before closing my eyes.

 

"You're not going to kill me then throw my body somewhere no one will find, right?" I heard the rustling of the grass beneath us along with that deep chuckle and suddenly I felt his small, rough hands covering my already closed eyes. Could my blush get any worse?

 

"H-hey! No need to do this, you know." Great. Now I'm stuttering.

 

"Just for good measure. You tend to disobey directions whenever you can. Just like how you escaped your fiance at the party organized for the two of you at the manor to come with this humble worker."

 

"You were the one who asked me to come with you. And besides, he's busy trying to strike a conversation with Sungmin unnie." He nudged me gently, urging me to go forward which I did with a lot of difficulty with my sense of sight blocked, the hem of my heavy dress almost tripping me and his strong chest warming up my back. A few steps more and I felt the grass getting shorter beneath my feet and the warm, summer breeze blowing against my hair.

 

"Yesung...are we there yet?" I reached my hand up, trying to feel anything to identify the place where we were but found nothing eventually.

 

"Almost there...just a few more steps... Ok here we are, and there's a rat on the ground near your feet--" I immediately squealed turning around and hugging Yesung so tight with my eyes shut tightly and my face buried on his chest..

 

"Eeeep! Kill it! Make it go away!" I said, my feet jumping slightly in an attempt to evade the said rat Yesung said, before I felt his chest rumbling and a string of laughter echoed from him. I looked up at him and sent him a glare before pounding my clenched fist on his chest.

 

"I was just kidding Wookie... But you still look funny when you looked scared."

 

"I hate you..." I said, looking up to send him a glare but all the anger immediately went away when my eyes met his. He had that charming smile gracing his lips while his small eyes were squinted, the warm, summer breeze playing with his hair.

 

“I beg to disagree Wookie. Turn around.." I felt myself blush and immediately stepped aways from his warmth. I decided to turn around to avoid his gaze and to look at the place where he took me and my eyes immediately widened.

 

In front of me was the vast greenlands where we used to play and hide when we were young. The grass were still short and barely reached my ankles and flowers were still blooming here and there. The moonlight illuminates the nearby lake that was across a willow tree that was situated on an uphill slope. .

 

It was exactly the same as when I last went there six years ago. The only thing that changed was the moon's reflection replacing the usually sun's on the lake. And the fireflies that were flying around. It was already a paradise for me at daylight. But it was definitely a different story at nighttime.

 

It was breathtakingly beautiful.

 

"Oh my god..."

 

I felt Yesung brushing the strands of my curled hair away from my shoulder and leaned closer to my ear before he whispered. "Told you, you won't hate me." My heart started to race a million times faster as his breath lingered at tad longer than it should be before he placed his hand on top of my head and chuckled. "Race you to the hill!"

 

Before I can even react to what he said, I saw him sprinting towards the hill while his melodious laughter echoed through the silent night. It took another few minutes for his words to register on my mind and he was already a few feet away from me.

 

"Hey! Not fair!" I yelled while I frantically removed my shoes and threw them, not really caring if they get lost later. I held the edge of dress and hitched it up, not caring if my legs were exposed and my petticoat was ruined and sprinted after Yesung who was nearing the hill. I pushed myself to run faster, ignoring the weight of my dress and the dirt starting to form on it as well as my perfectly styled hair getting disheveled by the wind and finally I reached Yesung having difficulty running up the slope. I reached my hand towards him and tugged at his shirt hard. "Not so fast, Jongwoon."

 

He quickly lost his balance and toppled over the hillside while cursing slightly. I chuckled and continued my trek up but karma has its own way to creep up on me.

 

My foot settled on a soft ground just as I got at the top and I immediately pulled it up. I totally forgot gravity and my cursed heavy dress and in the next moment I felt myself falling backwards down the hill. I squealed loudly and the next thing I knew I was rolling down the hill with someone's hands around my waist. Finally, after getting successfull at messing up my new dress and getting grass on my hair and dirt on my face, I reached the bottom, but I wasn't alone.

 

I don't know if I should thank the heavens or not.

 

I was lying on top of an equally dishevelled Yesung, one of his legs were in between mine and his hands resting on the curve of my back. Oh boy, my dad would have a heart attack if he sees us in this compromising position. A few more moments passed and we found ourselves bursting in laughter with no reason at all.. It wouldn't have ended in an awkward situation if only Yesung had his mouth shut and if he kept his hand to himself.

 

"You've changed...a lot" Yesung said after a breathless laugh, his hand suddenly cupping my cheek and his thumb rubbing on it. I presumed he removed a smudge of dirt on it-well that better be the reason, not the other way around-. I bit my lower lip and avoided his gaze while he tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

 

"Well you changed a lot too, you know. I'm pretty sure you had a lot of girls' attention on you now. Must be hard to choose, huh?" I said, dreading his answer. I can't imagine Yesung settling down with someone other than me...

 

As if that would happen, Ryeowook.

 

"Not really, and besides I already chose the girl I wanna be with a long time ago." Of course he already did. That girl is lucky she had caught the attention of the elusive Yesung. I forced a smile and closed my eyes to drive those tears forming on my eyes away.

 

"Well lucky you you can choose whoever you want to marry." I said, my voice laced with bitterness as I attempted to stand, but failed nonetheless when Yesung's hand that was resting on my back pulled me closer to him. "Yesung...?"

 

"I wouldn't consider myself lucky since the girl I like is already bethroted to somebody who's much more...suited to her."

 

Oh. So Yesung and I sort of have the same problem.

 

"O-oh...I'm sorry to hear tha--"

 

"It's ok Wookie, it's not your fault you're so dense." What? How did my denseness became the topic here? And, hey I'm not dense! He chuckled and cupped my cheek once more, his eyes searching mine.

 

"And it's definitely not your fault you're bethroted to Lord Kyuhyun..."

 

Ok, the world totally stopped. Did...did Yesung just confessed to me?

 

"Yesung...I..." Stupid Ryeowook, how many times have you practiced for this?

 

"Lady Ryeowook, may I ask your permission to let this humble servant have the honor of kissing you?" I was totally at lost for words that I can only nod at his question. Oh my god. I can't believe all of this. Yesung likes me too and right now he's leaning forward to kiss me. I closed my eyes and clutched his shirt tightly with my hands. His breath was fanning my face and his lips were just hovering mine...

 

"Yah, Kim Ryeowook! We're already here so stop snoozing around." Jeez. Great timing Cho Kyuhyun. I groaned, trying to fall asleep again in hopes of continuing my dream. But it's useless since Kyuhyun is already hollering at me while his boyfriend continued to shake me to consciousness.

 

"God, you two, such great timing..." I groaned, covering my eyes with my arms while I tried to block the light penetrating my still closed eyes. I heard a high pitched chuckle-obviously Sungmin hyung- followed by a not so gentle smack on my arm.

 

"Why did we just interrupted how you and Yesung hyung were going to fu---"

 

"Kyuhyun darling, just keep your smart assed comments to yourself." Sungmin said as he unbuckled his seat belt while his evil boyfriend just chuckled.

 

"Yeah whatever Min... I just don't want the backseat of my favorite car get soiled because of Wookie's wet dream." I raised my foot and kicked Kyuhyun's seat a bit too hard, earning a yelp from him.

 

"Hey! I just vacuumed the seats, Wookie!"

 

"Okay, first things, first. This car might be your favorite car cause it's only the car you have Kyuhyun. Second, it's Wookie hyung to you. Just because you got skipped a few years in school doesn't mean you can disregard the hyung. And third, it's not like this backseat hasn't been soiled before Kyuhyun. And I don't want to imagine what things you and Sungmin hyung does in this car." I huffed and opened the door, unboarding Kyuhyun's car and slammed the door rather loudly. I started my way towards the university campus, with my bag slung on my shoulder.

 

I'm Kim Ryeowook, by the way. I'm a sophomore student at Seoul University, major in Culinary Arts. I'm not really a friendly person, my friends being only Lee Sungmin hyung and his boyfriend Cho Kyuhyun, which is unfortunate. I love to cook, which is obvious because of my major, and sometimes I play the piano and sing when I'm alone. Though I don't think my voice is that great.

 

Speaking of singing...

 

I had this kind of small...okay massive crush on Kim Jongwoon. A senior student majoring in Music. I totally fell head over heels for him the first time I saw him sleeping at the back of the classroom we both had a class at. Okay, I know it might not be the best scenario to like the guy, I mean he even had a bit of drool on his mouth, but still...

 

He looked like an angel with that serene face of his while he was sleeping, it totally contrasted that rocker image he has.

 

Oh and have I mentioned that he has that angelic voice? He wasn't nicknamed 'Yesung' for nothing, I tell you. A lot of the girls, and guys too, fall for that voice of his. I can still remember that time at the school festival where he and his band sang. He looked so damn hot that time with those ripped jeans and black eyeliner, so damn hot that someone decided to throw her own bra on stage along with a pack of . (Lol SS4 Paris and SS3 Manila) The nerve of that woman, really.

 

But it was worth seeing Jongwoon smiling at the act...I think I shall look at that photo I took of him smiling later...

 

Errrr...speaking of which...

 

Oh my god. Here he comes now with that usual black, tight jeans and black shirt. And that y, messed up black hair matched with the eyeliner. And he's coming this way...

 

Oh my god, oh my god, what to do?

 

I think the world just stopped when he looked at me and smiled. Please don't tell me I'm still dreaming. He bid goodbye to his bandmates before jogging towards me with that captivating smile. Oh my god, Kim Ryeowook, this must be your lucky day!

 

He raised his hand and waved at me as he neared me. This is it. I raised my hand timidly to wave back at him...

 

Only to pass by me.

 

"Kyuhyun-ah!" Oh yeah, I forgot that Kyuhyun and Yesung are on the same class. Each single one of their class.

 

Life is so unfair for me.

 

I felt someone wrapping an arm-a heavy one might I add- around my shoulders and a string of an annoying, high pitched giggle echoed through my ears.

 

"Life's so unfair, isn't it?" I huffed and started stomping my way towards my class with Sungmin-hyung. that I'm stuck with him after taking one last glance at Yesung who was talking inanimately with Kyuhyun.

 

"Shut up, hyung." Maybe I'll just dream of Yesung in class, or better yet I might be able to continue that dream I had earlier. --