02

All the things you will never know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: in Kai's POV

**this chapter is the last part of the story >___<

- - -

02 | Messenger

To many people’s disappointment, at the end of our lives, there is no heaven, there is no hell, but instead we are given three choices:

To be reborn again as a human with no memories of our past lives,

to become a messenger who guides souls, or

to disappear forever

For most people, the first option is without a doubt the one they will pick.  I have seen the hope in people’s eyes when they realize they could still have another chance at life. 

But they usually don’t understand that once they are reborn in a different body, they will forget that they had lived as a different person before.  The memories they treasured, the mistakes they made or the fact they had been reborn has all been forgotten. 

To me when I died, I didn’t want to lose my memories, yet I didn’t want to disappear either.  Even though I didn’t know where you had gone, I wanted to at least keep you in memories before I could find you.  I became a messenger. 

Once a person dies, their souls land in another dimension, called limbo.  This is where they stay until a messenger arrives to lead them to where they go next. 

Everyone’s limbo is different. 

It’s sort of a reflection of your inner self, your personality, your likes and dislikes.  I remember mine was a black abyss.  No scenery.  No warmth or coldness.  Just never ending darkness.  And my messenger whose name was Luhan, had told me, “You’re lonely.  No, you’re more than that.  You’re at a complete and defeated loss.” 

His eyes were sympathetic and asked me to join him as a messenger. 

So when arrived at yours, I was relieved.  Because the moment I appeared into your dimension, I just knew it had to be you.  It was an open grass field, where a warm red sunset lit the horizon.  I could smell the wet earth and feel the very light breeze through the air.  It felt comforting.  It felt gentle.  It felt like you. 

It almost felt like meeting you again for a first time.  I remember it like it was yesterday. 

We were both sitting on the same bus and I stepped out of the bus having reached my stop.  And then you came out too; with my book in your hand.   Not that I read many books but for some forgotten reason, I was fortunately carrying a book that day.  You handed it to me in a rush with that soft smile of yours, telling me I had left it on the bus.  You then quickly got back on the bus so it could leave. 

From that moment on, I rode that 506 bus everyday, just so I could bump into you again. 

I saw you looking lost in the distance now, surrounded by the tall grass. I immediately teleported closer. I had waited so long to see you again.  Another moment could not be wasted.

You were pale-faced and wide-eyed at my sudden appearance.  I saw your face clearly now.  You look different of course, your face is paler, your lips thinner. But your eyes, they looked the same. 

I tried to keep as expressionless as possible.  I knew you didn’t know me yet. 

“Sorry for keeping you here for so long.  It’s been a big clean up.”  I said to you.  It was only an excuse though.  I had left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter