1

Alternate Reality {A House of One Shots}

{ Coffee With Strangers }

 

 

The sun was peeking through the branches of the cherry blossoms aligned along the pavement. A beautiful scenery unfolded with the white blossoms loosely hanging by the trees, poeple walking by and a few cars humming their engines as they pass by. Spring time in Seoul has was always breath taking yet often ignored by the city people themselves. 

A few dainty tables sat below the line of cherry trees where a quaint coffee shop was situated. It resembled one of those Parisian coffee shops where people take time to sit down, chat and enjoy their coffee with a scenic view. A tower of pastel- colored macarons was displayed at the shop's glass window while a brown haired lady sat right outside. She was leaning by the black outdoor chair, hands busy flipping through the pages of a book she's currently glued upon while her cup of latte sat comfortably by the table. The usually appealing, steaming hot brew has now turned into a cup of tap, brown liquid with froth subsiding by the sides of the ceramic. Aside from her, another lady sat by the corner table nearing the sidewalk with her chin sinking on both palms. 

It was a perfectly serene moment, a time cherished by most people inside the cafe. The door's chime then signalled a new customer whose eyes were wandering as he held onto the oak door's handle. His astonishing pair of orbs scanned the whole area where a polite waitress bowed and welcomed him. Failing to find what he was looking for, the soles of his shoes slowly reatreated and went forth the al fresco area. His gaze landed on the petite lady sitting by the window side thus walking towards her table. 

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I see you've ordered your drink already."

Flashing a smile towards her, he took the seat across her as his eyes formed into tiny crescents. He was rubbing his lap repeatedly-- an indication that he was probably nervous about this so-called 'date'. If it wasn't for his friend, Jiyong who kept bugging him to make a move, he'd rather see himself lounging in the confines of the studio, writing or recording a new song than fiddling with his buttons and thinking of a way to spark a conversation with a woman he barely knew. This clearly wasn't an ideal setting for Youngbae.

He was stealing glances on her, observing her features that were slightly covered by the rather thick paper bound book she's been poring on for the past half an hour. She was fair, her lashes long, lips thin with a touch of pink accentuating the coral tinge on her cheeks. Simple, nothing fancy yet very appealing. 

 

Cold, intimidating and indifferent-- probably the first three words that registered in his mind on the first hour of their meeting. He cleared his throat with the hope of getting even an ounce of attention from her. She glanced up, yet only to return back to her book right after. Now he feels more like a third wheel with her book as her primary companion... 

'Tell her she looks pretty or flatter her about anything.'

Jiyong's voice resonated in his head. He looked up and searched for the band's black van where the window was rolled down-- Jiyong was wagging his hands and crossing his arm into an 'X'. Youngbae frowned, tilting his head a little wondering what Jiyong was trying to tell him. Shrugging it all off, he proceeded with another attempt for anything stimulating.

"I-I like your smile." He blurted. What was he talking about? She never even moved a muscle.

Burrowed eyebrows greeted the coy gentleman, fear crept up his skin seeing such a daunting expression. Suddenly, the flat line of her lips curled into a tight lipped smile with her pearly whites slowly peeking through. 

Finally, a reaction.

"I don't remember smiling at you..." A bright face now drawn on the once blank canvass signalled a spark of hope to his waivering faith. 

"Well you are now." His face glowed, a boyish grin made itself known alluring her into small talk. With her book now firmly shut, the attention has been diverted solely on him. 

"Paulo Coelho. Must be interesting..." His voice trailed, hand hailing for the waiter. A 'Cappucino, two packets of Splenda and a sampler of macarons for her, please.' escaped his lips like a beautiful melody. 

"Diabetic?" Her lips leaned on the brim of her stained cup, sipping on her now cold coffee.

"No, I believe I'm too sweet on my own to be even needing sugar." Another approving smirk from her, thanks to the uncanny one liners Jiyong graced him with. 

"You must be something." Well at least now she's interested...

 

Or not.

 

Attempting to get back to her reading, Youngbae playfully snatched the book from her hand whilst their fingers brushing with one another. 

"You probably won't be needing this while I'm here. So tell me, what do you do? Aside from reading, of course." The initial awkward mood turned into a warm, enthralling convergence. From the indulging conversation, he learned that the once fiesty, indefferent lady happened to be a preschool teacher at a nearby school.

"Aren't you gonna ask me what I do?" He queried.

"I don't think that's necessary. You're pretty much all over the place."

 

They chuckled almost at the same time, started another engaging conversation about random things until a familiar chime rings and completely withdraws her attention from their seemingly good connection. He paitently waits, sips on his cup before finally putting on his winning smile as she dropped the call.

"So...I have to go. It was really great meeting you, by the way." She regretfully concludes as she attempts to stand back up and gather her things.

"Pleasure's mine, Hana." 

 

She paused, her head looking back at him with a sly smile on her face.

 

"It's Mina. The Hana, who's probably your blind date, must be the lady in the corner table right there. She's been waiting for hours... but well done for  a first date though. See you around!"