You're Always There

The Jock & The Queer

Minho only had two days left to study for his exam and he was nowhere near ready for it. Key told him that they would meet up after his practice and head to his house so that they’d be able to study a little longer. It’s not that Key had been doing a bad job or anything; Key was great. He knew English so well and spoke it as though it was his native tongue. It wasn’t Key’s fault that Minho couldn’t concentrate. Minho’s mind was never on the work Key was helping him with. His mind was only on Key. His eyes were focused on Key. Whenever Key was around, his mind and body malfunctioned and would stop working properly.

He’d find himself staring at Key a little longer than necessary. He watched as Key would drag his tongue across his lips and wet them in the most seductive way. He watched as he flipped his blonde fringe out of his eyes only for it to fall back into place. He found himself smiling whenever Key would squeal cutely after Minho got an answer correct on the first try. He just couldn’t stop thinking about the older boy and it was driving him crazy.

He’d just finished practice early and was heading to his car to wait for Key. They were to meet up at five and it was now four-thirty. He figured he’d call Key to let him know that his practice was over and that he was waiting for him. He pulled out his phone and dialed Key’s number. He didn’t answer until the very last ring.

“Minho?” Minho almost stopped breathing because Key didn’t call his name. He panted it. Key was panting and that sent shivers and shock waves directly to his crotch. “Hello? Minho, are you there?” he shook his head, as if the action would rid him of his gutter thoughts, and turned his attention to the call.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I’m here. I got out of practice early. Are you ready to leave?”

“Minho… damnit… I’m coming ok?” Again, his mind went to the gutter. He couldn’t think when Key was panting and saying things that could be easily mistaken as something else. “Look… I’m busy… right now… give me your address… I’ll come over later.”

“O-ok. I’ll text it to you.” They said their goodbyes and as soon as the call ended Minho texted his address to Key. Afterward, he started to panic.

“What the is wrong with me?!” He shouted as he ran his finger through his sweaty hair. “Just stop thinking about him. You’re not gay. You don’t like him.” he paced back and forth, mumbling and convincing himself that he didn’t have extremely deep feelings for his hyung.

“It’s just because you haven’t been laid in a while. That’s all it is; hormones. You can’t help it if Key has a girlish figure, s-line waist, perfectly plump kissable lips, round bubble a—stop!” he groaned in frustration. Never in his life had he ever been attracted to guys. Why was he so attracted to Key? Why was his body reacting in such a way to small gestures that Key made? It all didn’t make any sense.

“You’re fine Minho. Nothing’s wrong with you. Key looks like a girl and you’re a bastard. That’s it. You don’t like guys.”

Minho blamed his hormones for the way he thought about Key and got into his car to head home. He needed to shower and to make sure that his room was clean and free of anything that could embarrass him for years to come.

After getting him, he immediately jumped in the shower to wash away the dirt and sweat from practice. He didn’t stay in as long as he wanted to because he wasn’t sure what time Key was going to be there and he didn’t want him to walk in on him changing. That would probably be the death of him.

It was now almost six and still no sign of Key. Not a text or phone call of anything. He figured something must have come up and Key wouldn’t be able to make it. Yujin called her family for dinner and he made his way downstairs to join the rest of his family. Once in the kitchen, he was asked to set the table while Siwon and Sooyoung placed the side dishes on the table, Jinri carried the drinks, and Yungyeom assisted his wife with the main course of their meal. They sat at the table, ready to dig in, when the doorbell rang.

“Was somebody expecting company?” Yungyeom asked, eyeing his children.

“I had a friend coming over, but I thought he had something else to do.” Yujin got up and announced that she would get the door. Everyone sat patiently, waiting to start their dinner, when Yujin walked into the kitchen with Key by her side. Minho’s eyes went wide when they met Key’s appearance. His blue tank top clung to his body and his blonde fringe clung to his forehead. He’d obviously been doing something that required him to sweat so much, but did he have to look so y afterward? Most people looked a wreck after doing physically tiring activities. But Key, he just looked… y. He smiled awkwardly to the unknown faces at the table and bowed politely to them.

“I came by to tutor Minho, but I see that I’m interrupting. I’m sorry. I’ll just see you tomorrow Minho.” He turned to leave when Yujin placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Kibum, would you like to stay for dinner? We have plenty.”

“I couldn’t impose. Besides, I’m a bit, um, sweaty.” He smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, and Minho’s heart melted into a puddle of goo underneath his chair. He was so used to seeing attitude from Key that it was a shock that he could be so cute. Yujin shook her head and ushered him toward the stairway.

“You’ll need food if you plan tutoring my thick skulled son.”

“Mom!” Key just laughed at their interaction.

“Why don’t you go wash up and I’ll set you a place alright? I’m sure Minho’s clothes will fit you fine. The bathroom is the second door to the left. Minho’s room is right across the hall.”

“Thank you Ms. Yujin. I won’t take long.” With that, he disappeared up the stairs and into the bathroom to take a quick shower. Once he was gone, conversation about the boy started.

“Why is that gay kid eating with us? Doesn’t he have like aids or something?”

“Jinri!” everyone said in unison.

“Jinri-yah, be on your best behavior. Just because Key is homoual doesn’t mean he has aids. Watch your mouth.” Yungyeom scolded his daughter. He shook his head, not knowing where his daughter picked up these homophobic views. He taught his children to be accepting and open minded, but Jinri was closed minded.

“I get he’s gay, but does he have to where such bright colors? It’s like he wants to be a girl.” Sooyoung added, scooping a spoonful of each side dish and adding it to her plate.

“He’s a bit flamboyant, I agree, but he’s a great student. He happens to be my favorite.”

“There’s nothing wrong with him dressing the way he does.” Siwon piped up, adding meat to his plate.

“But, he’s not a girl. He’s a boy. Boys shouldn’t like boys. He’s gross.” Jinri stated.

“I really wish someone would sew your mouth shut.” Minho said, anger bubbling up in his veins. His younger sister was being ridiculous and he was just tired of hearing her speak.

“I wish you’d stop breathing!” She shot back in an attempt to defend herself, but she just ended up looking childish.

At that moment, Key came bouncing down the stairs in Minho’s clothes. The jeans were too long for him, so they were rolled up to his knees. The shirt was also a bit too big, so it hung off of his shoulder, exposing his neck and collar bone. Minho couldn’t help but to stare as Key took a seat next to him.

“I’m sorry I took so long.” Key apologized and started to prepare his dinner plate. The dinner table fell somewhat silent, the previous conversation lingering in the air. Everyone, except for Minho, was staring at him, most with interest, and one with disgust. Feeling as though he was being watched, Key looked up to meet the staring eyes of Minho’s family. He brought his hand to his cheek.

“Is there something on my face or something? Everyone’s staring at me…” He chuckled nervously, feeling like this was a bad idea. The moment the family was dreading since Key got there happened, leaving everyone embarrassed.

“So, why do you like boys? It’s gross.” Jinri said shamelessly. “Ow!” Her hand went down to her pained shin and Sooyoung smiled around her chopsticks.

“Jinri!” everyone, once again, said in unison. The girl really didn’t know how to filter her comments.

“Jinri-yah, what did we discuss. Watch your mouth.” Yujin scolded.

“I just wanted to know!”

“Young lady, you don’t ask those kinds of questions, especially at the dinner table. Apologize to Kibum.” Jinri mumbled a pathetic ‘sorry’ before returning to her dinner. Key’s face was as red as their front door. He was embarrassed to say the least, but not ashamed. Minho placed a hand on Key’s knee to comfort him, but that only resulted in deepening his blush.

“Jinri, keep your mouth shut or you’ll be grounded.” Yungyeom added in. he looked towards Key and gave him an apologetic glance. “We’re sorry about that.”

“Yeah, our little brat of a sister has issues.” Siwon said, getting chuckles from the other Choi children, except for Jinri.

“I say we get her a muzzle.” Sooyoung said, laughing.

“Unnie!” Jinri screeched, throwing a piece of her bread at her older sister. Sooyoung threw the bread back at Jinri, but it hit Minho, who was quietly trying to eat his dinner.

“Yah! I didn’t throw it!” He threw it back, but Sooyoung used her incredibly quick reflexes and swatted the bread away. It ended up hitting their father and they all gasped.

“Stop acting so childish. Minho has company and you’re probably embarrassing him.”

“Yes sir.” They mumbled as they continued their dinner. Key didn’t mind though. Since he was now somewhat of an only child, he enjoyed watching Minho’s family interact in such a silly way. A small smile appeared on his face as he continued his dinner as well.

“So, Kibum, do you have any idea what you want to do after high school?” Minho’s father asked politely. Key took a sip of his water before answering.

“I’m going to college, but my dream is to be a dancer.”

“You dance?” Sooyoung asked, now more interested in the conversation.

“Yeah, a little. I’m not as good as I’d like to be.” Minho scoffed earning an annoyed glare from Key.

“You’re a lot better than you’re making yourself out to be.”

“You saw me do like one dance and the choreography was like super easy! You’ve never seen me really dance.”

“I’d like to see you dance one day!” Sooyoung said excitedly. Key nodded and blushed a bit. Dancing was his secret craft. No one had ever seen Key in action before. His expertise was girl group dances, but when it came to being serious and not just playing around, his dances were powerful. No one had ever seen that power before and he wasn’t all that willing to show it.

The rest of dinner went better than how it started. They talked about their interests and hobbies and Key found out that he and Jinri shared a few hobbies, like shopping, fashion, and loud colors. Key didn’t mind sharing interests with the younger girl, but she didn’t take a liking to Key. She was judgmental of him. She didn’t like gay people. People at her school said that being gay was gross and that you shouldn’t be friends with them. Even though she didn’t necessarily like Key, she found him interesting, but she’d never admit it.

After dinner, Key helped Yujin clear the table and offered to wash the dishes.

“That’s sweet of you Kibum, but it’s alright.” Key bowed and headed up to Minho’s room where Minho had already made himself comfortable in his desk chair. Key walked into the room and habitually closed the door behind him before plopping himself face first on Minho’s bed. The younger laughed as Key groaned into his mattress.

“Way to make yourself at home.” Key turned his head in Minho’s direction and mehronged him.

“Do we have to study? Can’t I just sleep? Your bed is comfy.” He curled himself into Minho’s blanket. It amazed Minho how much Key resembled a cat, especially at that moment. He swore he could hear the other purring in satisfaction. He walked over to his bed and tossed his backpack on Key’s back.

“Yes. I can’t fail hyung. Come on~” Key got up with a groan and Minho sat beside him, flipping the notebook to where they left off the previous day. Before they started, Key punched Minho lightly in the arm.

“What was that for?”

“Why didn’t you tell me Ms. Yujin was your mother?” Minho shrugged his shoulders.

“You never asked.” He got another punch to the arm.

“I still wish you told me that my English teacher was your mother. But wait, if you’re the English teacher’s son, why am I tutoring you?”

“I don’t know. She’s probably too busy.” Key nodded, figuring that it made sense, and started their tutoring session.

A couple of hours went buy and Minho was just about as frustrated as Key. The older boy just didn’t understand how the younger didn’t understand the work. Why was this so difficult if he’d been studying? Unless, he hadn’t been. Key sat up from his lying position.

“Minho, have you even been studying this stuff?”

“Yes!” Key glared at him. “Maybe?” Key held his glare. “Ok. No.” That earned him a smack to the back of his head.

“Are you kidding me?! I’ve been tutoring you for two weeks and you haven’t even been studying? You’re not taking this seriously and I’m not wasting my time anymore. I’ll see you at school.” Key was furious with Minho. He’d given him a lot of his time only to find out that Minho wasn’t even taking his tutoring sessions seriously. He packed up his things and started for the door when Minho grabbed him by the wrist.

“Hyung, I’ll take this seriously from now on I promise. I’ll study really hard just please don’t give up on me. Please?” Key’s heart softened at the sight of Minho’s wide eyes looking up at him from the bed, pleading him to stay. And he did. He stayed for another hour, and for the first time, he was actually making some kind of progress. They were able to move on to the next chapter of the book. They were just about to get started when Key’s phone rang. He looked down at the caller ID and frowned.

“Hello? Hi dad. No, I already finished—no I’m tutoring— dad. I told you I tutor this guy in—no I’m at his house. Yes. Yes the door is open. But, we’re not done! Ugh, fine!” He shoved his phone into his backpack, along with the rest of his belongings, and announced that he had to go.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Study hard ok?” He ruffled the younger’s hair, in which he swatted his hand away.

“Do you need a ride?”

“It’s ok. I’ll walk.” He said goodbye and made his way downstairs with Minho in tow. Minho’s parents were in the living room when he made it to the front door. He bowed and said goodbye to them.

“Thank you for dinner. It was really good. Nice to meet you Mr. Choi.” Key reached out his hand and Yungyeom shook it, smiling at the younger boy.

“It was nice to meet you too Kibum. Again, I’m sorry about Jinri. She’s young and curious.”

“It’s ok. A lot of people are. The curious part I mean.” Key chuckled as did Minho’s father. “I have to go. Thank you for having me.” He bowed once more to his friend’s parents and walked out of the door. Minho followed him out.

“Key, your house is a good thirty minutes away by car. Are you sure you don’t want a ride?”

“I’m fine Minho. Go back inside. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Minho nodded and waved goodbye before shutting the door.

Key walked down the street in the direction of his house. This path was much darker than he remembered and he was really starting to regret not taking Minho’s offer. Why didn’t he though? He didn’t feel like walking at all. He hated walking, running, or anything related to it. So why did he accept the ride? Because Minho flustered him beyond his control. He would often find himself unconsciously flirting with the younger male. He’d brush his fingertips across his arm, place his hand on his knee, laugh and throw his entire body into him, anything to feel him.

Key had it bad. So bad, he on one occasion, he almost kissed Minho’s cheek. Lucky for him, his phone broke him from his trance right before it happened. The athlete ed with his mind, brightened his day, pissed him off, and just made him happy. Any time spent with Minho was a good time. He didn’t care if they were studying in the library or hanging out in the gym, as long as he was with Minho, he was happy. Smiling to himself like an idiot, he turned a corner. He wasn’t watching where he was going and ran into a couple of guys.

“I’m sorry.” He said as he bowed to the men. They only smiled at him in a way that made Key’s bones cower in fear. Avoiding their gaze, he walked around them, but one of the guys placed a hand on his shoulder and turned him around to face him.

“Do you need a ride? You’re way too pretty to be walking alone. Someone could really hurt you.” the guy ran his finger from Key’s temple to his jawline, his lips in the most disgusting manner. Key yanked his face away from the man.

“Yah, don’t touch me!”

“Feisty? I like that.” The second guy closed in on him and grabbed his with a hard squeeze that made Key yelp. The erts only laughed at his distress.

“I-I have to go.” Key tried to run but one of the guys grabbed him by the wrist and pulled his thin body into his much larger one.

“What’s the rush? We’re not done playing yet.” They chuckled evilly as they tried to drag Key into the nearest alley. They weren’t getting him without a fight though. He kicked and screamed and flailed his limbs around, hoping for an escape, but there was none.

“Let me go!” He screamed over and over, hoping that someone would hear him. He managed to kick one of the guys in the groin while he was flailing. The other guy was about to hit him when headlights blinded them. They went off before the owner of the car stepped out. A huge wave of relief washed over him and he was never happier to see Minho approaching them. With the ert distracted, Key kneed him in the groin as well and ran over to Minho, thanking every higher being that he met this guy. Minho wrapped an arm around Key’s shoulder and pulled him close, facing the erts who were now standing.

“Is there a problem?” He spoke with an icy tone of voice that Key had never heard before. His already deep voice seemed to turn into a growl when he was talking to those men.

“Not at all. We were just having a little fun.” One of the guys said. The smirk on his face made Key cower into Minho’s side. He was normally much stronger than this, but he had a right to be afraid. Those guys were big. Key was like a midnight snack to them. Minho tightened his grip around Key’s shoulders.

“Well, you’re done.” Minho turned around and ushered Key into the car. He walked around to his side of the car and got in, driving off immediately.

The car ride was silent. Key with disgusted, but Minh was seething. Those guys were touching on Key and that alone pissed him off. Why didn’t Key just take the ride? Why didn’t he just ride with me? Why was he going the wrong way? Minho slammed down on his breaks and pulled over to the side of the road. Key stared at him with surprise, not expecting for him to stop so suddenly.

“What the hell we’re you thinking? Why were you walking around aimlessly?” Key glared at Minho.

“I wasn’t walking around aimlessly Minho. I was walking home!”

“Oh really? That’s seems quite hard to do when you’re walking in the wrong damn direction! Where the hell were you going Key?!” Key took a look around and realized that nothing looked familiar. Where the hell was he? Was he really that lost in thought that he ended up on the other side of town? “You could’ve been seriously hurt Key…”

“Well, I wasn’t ok? And were you following me? How did you even know where I was?” Minho sighed a frustrated breath. That wasn’t the point of the conversation.

“I have a friend that lives out here. He has my soccer cleats and I was coming to get them when I spotted you and those guys. Why were you even over here?” Minho started the car again and drove in the correct direction of Key’s house. Key didn’t answer his question. He couldn’t. There was no easy way to say “I like you and you’ve flooded my mind so much that I forgot the way to my house” was there? No, there wasn’t. The rest of the ride was silent. Minho tried to pry answers out of Key but gave up, realizing Key wasn’t going to give him anything. They pulled into his driveway and Minho wished Key a good night. Before Key got out of the car, he threw his arms around Minho’s shoulders.

“T-Thank you.” His voice broke as the realization of what almost happened washed over him and a sob escaped his lips. He didn’t realize he was shaking until Minho grabbed his hands to make him stop.

“What are you thanking me for?”

“For saving me. God, for everything. You’re just always there and… just thank you for not leaving me I guess.” Minho smiled and glided his thumb across his hyung’s cheek, drying it of any tears.

“Don’t thank me for that. And I already told you, I’m not going anywhere.” This made Key cry even more. Finally, someone in his life cared enough to stay around even though he was gay. He knew that Minho would never be more than just a friend to him and that was ok. Just as long as Minho was in his life, he’d be ok. Minho pulled Key into a comforting embrace.

“You’re ok. You’re safe ok? Don’t cry.” He consoled. Key’s tears died down into mere sobs as he moved out of Minho’s embrace. He dried his face and thanked Minho once again for taking care of him. He exited the car and went into his house. Only after his front door closed did Minho drive off. Key announced that he was home, but was met with no response. Figures. His parents often left him alone. Had he known that they weren’t going to be here, he would’ve stayed at Minho’s. At least his family treated him well.

He walked up the stairs to his bedroom and closed the door behind him. When he passed the mirror on the way to his closet, he noticed that he was still wearing Minho’s shirt. A smile graced his lips as he brought the collar of the shirt to his nose and inhaled the scent that was Minho. He felt like a creep smelling his crush’s shirt, but he didn’t care. Quickly, he took off the shirt and put on one of his own. He folded Minho’s shirt neatly and placed it on his pillow next to where he would be sleeping. He settled into bed, not really worried about showering since he did that at Minho’s house, and turned out his light. Despite the turn of events that happened that night, he fell asleep with the biggest smile on his face and Minho’s shirt clutched tightly in his hand.

 

{A/N}

So I haven’t updated in a few days but here you go!

I kind of love this chapter.

I think I love every chapter of this fic so far lol.

It’s the first time in my writing that I really included the families. I don’t want them to disappear into the background because they’re so relevant.

But anyways.

Thank you for your comments as always!

Please continue to comment and subscribe!

SILENT READERS BREAK MY HEART!

Yeoleobun~~ Annyeong~~