Godspeed, oh Chicken Leg

Head Under Heels

            The sun is shining. The birds are screeching their little heads off.

            It is a beautiful morning.

            But then Donghae has to go and ruin it all, Hyukjae thinks sourly. Before he can even take a step forward as soon as their high school appears in their vision, Donghae pulls him against his will behind a tree. Hyukjae feels like his arm is almost falling off due to the force Donghae uses.

            “Is something the matter?” Hyukjae asks sarcastically. Donghae puts his finger to his mouth in a ‘shush’ motion and frantically motions to the steps in front of the school. Hyukjae peeks from their perch (they so do not look like weird suspicious individuals hiding obviously behind the tree) and gulps. Changmin is sitting on the bottom steps, holding a Styrofoam container filled with food and eating from it like it is his last meal.

            “Do you think he’s waiting for us?” Donghae asks, eyes wide.

            “I don’t know. Only one way to find out,” Hyukaje says. He pushes Donghae forward first, in revenge for being pushed onto that monstrous bridge last time.

            Changmin looks up when the two friends have shuffled in front of him. He just smiles. “Good morning.”

            Donghae and Hyukjae freezes. This is not what they expected, especially considering what happened yesterday.

            “Maybe Changmin was mentally traumatized and got partial amnesia?” Donghae whispers to Hyukjae. Hyukjae actually considers this theory plausible for a moment.

            “So… Uhem.” Hyukjae attempts tries to start light conversation. “That’s a pretty huge breakfast.”

            Changmin stares at him weirdly, still chewing. “What are you talking about? I already ate my breakfast an hour ago.”

            Donghae and Hyukjae just stare dumbly at Changmin. Then what’s with all that food?

            “By the way,” Changmin says. “I had a pretty crazy dream yesterday.”

            They immediately freeze with fear. Donghae laughs nervously. “Oh, really?”

            “Yup.” Changmin nods slowly. “You two were in it. Now that I think about it, it was more like a nightmare than anything. You were trying to kill me indirectly by throwing me off the bridge with some kind of… Ritualistic dance.”

            That must’ve been the worm dance. Hyukjae tries to keep his face a blank, polite mask. He nods, agreeing, “That does sound pretty scary.”

            Heck no, it wasn’t just scary, it was terrifying. Hyukjae still feels his stomach twist whenever that memory comes up. He seriously had a real nightmare or two because of that event, which consisted of Donghae transforming into a worm with an alligator head.

            “It felt so real though.” Changmin furrows his eyebrows. Donghae looks like he wants to bolt before Changmin figures it all out. But thankfully, a distraction has provided itself.

            “CHICKEN!!” An inhumane screech comes out of nowhere and someone blurs past them, grabbing Changmin’s chicken leg (which he had just took a bite of) and running off at lightning speed. Changmin still has his mouth open for his second bite of his chicken. He stands up.

            “JINKI! COME BACK HERE!” He bellows, and takes off after the chicken thief, still clutching his Styrofoam container of food and somehow eating from it and running at the same time.

            Hyukjae and Donghae are left dazed in the dust.

            Hyukjae finally speaks. “That was…”

            “Surreal,” Donghae agrees.

 

 

 

            “What’s your next crazy idea?” Hyukjae folds his arms behind his head. They are chilling during their tiny break between classes. “Go ahead. I’m ready for it. Parachuting out of an airplane? Standing before a rushing freight train?”

            “I have one in mind, but I need to prepare for it first.” Donghae suddenly looks at Hyukjae in wonder. “Although the parachuting idea sounds pretty good.”

            Hyukjae pales. “I was kidding, you know. I only have one life and I’d rather keep it, thank you very much.”

            Donghae pouts. “Darn.”

            “Well, since we don’t have anything to do after school today, Junsu and Yoochun invited us to karoake.”

            “Awesome.”

 

 

 

            “Hyukjae!” Junsu greets with a wide smile, Yoochun beside him. They are leaning on the counter of the karoake place they often frequent toghether. “You have gotten even uglier since I last saw you.”

            “Junsu! Your voice seems to get squeakier with each second that you speak,” Hyukjae replies. The two close friends hug each other, trading insults the whole time.

            “They never change,” Donghae says, rolling his eyes. Yoochun laughs understandingly.

            “You guys seem to be doing well. How’s school?” Yoochun asks.

            “Same old, same old. Donghae’s still as crazy as ever,” Hyukjae replies.

            “Like you aren’t crazy yourself!” Donghae retorts.

             “Good thing Donghae is always sticking by you, Hyukjae, or else you would’ve cried buckets of tears when I transferred to another high school,” Junsu says, and then pauses. “No, wait, you still cried anyway when I moved.”

            Hyukjae glares. “I thought we weren’t supposed to ever bring that up again.”

            “Sorry, I couldn’t resist. And it’s so funny because our high schools are so close to each other anyway. You cried for nothing.” Junsu is snorting with laughter as Hyukjae scowls.

            “Stop bullying this monkey,” Donghae says. “We’re wasting our paid karaoke time on him.”

            Donghae dodges the smack Hyukjae tries to land on him. Yoochun chuckles and moves them all to the karaoke room.

            Junsu immediately hogs the microphone for the first song, bobbing his head in time with the song and hitting the high notes pretty nicely. That doesn’t stop Hyukjae from making fun of him anyway. They all take turns, singing their hearts out to their favorite songs.

            Junsu and Yoochun end up picking a cheesy romantic song for a duet, both of them standing up and singing to each other. Hyukjae looks beside him to see an abnormally subdued Donghae.

            “What’s wrong?” Hyukjae asks, slightly alarmed. He should really get a medal for his expertise in discerning the various moods of Donghae.

            Donghae makes a mulish and slightly upset expression with his face. “I’m just jealous,” he says.

            Hyukjae whips his head to gape at Donghae. “What? Do you have a crush on one of them or something? They’re both taken by each other, you know.”

            Donghae frowns and raps his knuckles against Hyukjae’s forehead. “No, pabo. I’m jealous of what they have.”

            Hyukjae turns his head back around to see the two serenading each other (Yoochun looks like he’s trying not to burst out laughing when Junsu pronounces some of the English words weirdly). They’re leaning towards each other, arms brushing together. They’re clearly in their own world right now.

            “I want a relationship like that,” Donghae sighs and leans his head against Hyukjae’s shoulder.

            “Is that why you try all these ridiculous ways to fall in love?” Hyukjae asks quietly.

            Donghae puffs out his cheeks so he looks like a mutant blowfish. “Maybe.”

            Hyukjae isn’t able to ask anything more, because the song has ended and Junsu is leering suggestively at them.

            “It’s you guys’ turn for the cheesy romantic duet! We’ve already chosen a song for you,” Junsu says gleefully.

            Hyukjae imagines strangling him. Junsu is purposely trying to torture him. Donghae rushes to the microphone Yoochun is holding out for him, and turns his adorable brown eyes to Hyukjae. Hyukjae groans and grabs the other microphone Junsu s to his face.

            He considers what form of revenge he should take on Junsu next time he sees him as he starts singing to Donghae awkwardly.


...What. How did I get so many subscribers with just two chapters? <.< THANK YOU ALL THOSE WHO ARE READING THIS STORY <3

Yup, this fic will include a few side pairings of my favorite OTPs. XD lol. Just go along with the flow even if you don't know who some of the characters are.