Dumb and Dumber

Head Under Heels

            Donghae is not happy. Actually, that would be an understatement. He has not been in a good mood since he and Hyukjae had arrived late at class this morning and the teacher made them do push-ups while singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as punishment (they were horribly off-tune).

            Not to mention that the skiing gloves that he is wearing are very uncomfortable. Okay, so they are supposed to contribute to his Find Love plan by making his palms sweat – which is obviously a big symptom of Love – but all they’re doing is to make his hand cramp from trying to write with an oversized glove.

            Again, in summary, Donghae is not feeling very chipper. He doesn’t even hide a scowl when the girl – Jiyeon – accosts him outside his class with a request to speak with him, alone. A few guys grace them with catcalls, but Donghae just ignores them and follows her to a secluded corner, wondering what the hell she wants when seeing her just makes him feel like… Well, he doesn’t exactly know what emotion it is, but anyway, but it’s not making his day any better.

            “Donghae-sshi,” she starts, looking oddly bashful. Donghae has a sudden, lightning thought that maybe he is being confessed to, and then quickly erases that thought due to her next sentence. “Urm. Since you’re Hyukjae oppa’s best friend and all, you must know – I mean – you guys seem very close, and I’m just curious that’s all really, ah – dating is his seeing, I mean, is he someone has his aghhhh – ”

            She hits herself in an adorable fashion on the forehead. “My carefully memorized speech isn’t going well,” she mumbles to herself, and then takes a deep breath. Donghae notes that her hands are almost shaking. “Donghae-sshi. Is Hyukjae oppa seeing someone right now?”

            Donghae is struck speechless. What should he say? It should be a simple answer, really. The truth is no, but…

            “I mean, I really like him.” Her cheeks flush as she says this. “I hope I’m not troubling you by taking up your time.”

            “No, it’s okay,” Donghae says, his automatically nice side taking over. “Umm, from what I know, Hyukjae isn’t dating anyone right now.”

            Her face transforms into sunshine and roses, and Donghae’s guts twist inside of himself. He doesn’t even realize what’s happening before he hears the next words coming out of his mouth after he speaks them. “But. I think he already likes someone.”

            Implying, ‘Hyukjae already likes someone who’s not you’. Donghae feels a small flush creeping up his cheeks in mortification as he just realizes what his traitorous mouth spat out. Jiyeon’s eyes dim, and she gives him a sad little smile.

            “Oh. Oh, never mind then. Thank you, Donghae-sshi.” She walks off, a slump in her steps. Donghae just stares at the lockers next to him and considers slamming his head into them. Repeatedly.

 

              

 

            “You what?” Minho is bouncing a basketball up and down. Donghae gives him a dejected look, slouched on the bleachers. Minho isn’t even a good basketball player, even though he carries a basketball around with him all day like it’s his child. Actually, he at basketball. Last time he tried out for the team, he almost causes the coach to be shipped off to the hospital by landing a lucky (or unlucky hit) on his nose instead of into the loop. Donghae suspects that Minho tries to be good at basketball because that Taemin kid has apparently said once that he really loves basketball players (Taemin had announced that fact with shining, glittery eyes and Minho bought a basketball the very next day).

            “You heard me,” Donghae said.

            “But,” Minho prances up and down the empty court, wincing when the ball lands on his foot instead of the ground, “why would you tell a poor, sweet girl that Hyukjae already likes someone else?”

            “I don’t know,” Donghae grounds out, hands covering his face. “It just kind of came out.”

            “Really.” Minho misses another shot at the loop. Donghae sighs and stands up.

            “Okay. Even though I’ve shown you tons of times already, here’s the proper position to throw a basketball.”

            “I know already, hyung.” Minho hands over the ball to Donghae anyway. Donghae stands, tilts the ball in his hands, and shoots a perfect arc into the loop. He jogs to it to retrieve it.

            “I guess maybe I was feeling bad for her or something,” Donghae says. Minho looks puzzled.

            “Why?”

            “Hello? You know who Jiyeon is, right? She looks really pretty, and she seems nice on top of it all. Hyukjae does not deserve her. He would be a horrible boyfriend,” Donghae rants. “He has those annoying habits, like picking his nose when he thinks no one else is looking, or organizing your clothes so that they’re properly color coded even though no one asked him to, or, or, or that that annoying laugh that he has. He sounds like he’s dying or something when he does that. Honestly, I tell him to tone it down, but he still manages to get everyone to stare at him when he kind of convulses and looks like he’s having a seizure when he’s laughing. I mean, seriously, he also has a weird face. What girl likes a monkey face anyway? I don’t even get why she likes him. Hyukjae wouldn’t look good with her probably; they would look mismatched next to each other. Hyukjae… Hyukjae’s just totally not boyfriend material.”

            Donghae huffs out a breath after his long, rambling speech, as he practically chucks the basketball at the loop without even bothering to use the correct positioning that he tried to teach Minho to do. Needless to say, the ball misses. By almost five feet.

            Minho stares at the basketball that has fallen into the bleachers, and then skitters his eyes back at Donghae.

            “Are you…” Minho starts, and then pauses. “Uh, Donghae, no offense, but you sound kind of jealous.”

            “What?!” Donghae twirls to glare at his dongsaeng. “How am I jealous? Okay. Well, maybe I am a little jealous of Hyukjae because such a cute girl likes him.”

            “No. I meant, jealous of Jiyeon. Usually a best friend would be pretty happy that a cute girl likes the other friend,” Minho says slowly.

            “I would – what – I – “ Donghae tries to come up with a good comeback. Instead, he just folds his arms and pouts a little. “Your face.”

            Minho’s hands quickly clamber all over his face as if trying to make sure that his nose hasn’t suddenly mutated or something. Then he relaxes as he is reassured that his face is still, thankfully, flaming hot (and not the temperature kind of hot). “That’s a horrible comeback. And there was nothing wrong with my face!”

            “Well, maybe if you would look a little more different, Taemin would like you better,” Donghae retorts. Minho stomps his foot in an excellent rendition of a child’s tantrum.

            “Excuse me, I’m not the one in denial over his best friend!”

            “You are spouting nonsense!” Donghae stomps his foot on the ground as well, trying to outdo Minho.

            “Oh my god, you are so oblivious and dumb.”

            “I am not,” Donghae splutters. “And you are dumber anyway. You still haven’t realized that Taemin does like you, but you just manage to piss him off whenever you try to impress him – which always backfires, by the way.”

            “Taemin what? He likes me?” Minho pauses in their stomping-on-the-ground contest and just stares at Donghae with his jaw hanging open. He finally picks his jaw off the ground and dashes out the door, without even bringing his precious basketball with him. “Taeeeeminniieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!”

            Donghae rolls his eyes affectionately as he crawls under the bleachers to roll the basketball out. That idiot. Minho would probably get slapped by Taemin later for being too loud and excitable, but would also be finally accepted as his boyfriend. Took him long enough, Donghae thinks. Then he starts laughing almost hysterically over Minho’s previous statements.

            Him, jealous because of Hyukjae? No way.


Omg. I had such fun writing Donghae. He is just... OMG I JUST WANT TO GLOMP HIM and his obliviousness. Haha, anyway, 2min made an appearance in this chappie (Yoosu had appeared before this :D). Hope you enjoyed all that craziness.