Unexpected Bonds - Chapter 6

Unexpected Bonds

Jinon woke up a while later, rousing slowly with the feeling that his stomach wanted to eat its way out of his body. Too long without food, and Yixing had gone as long. They both needed something to eat.

He opened his eyes and sighed softly before shaking Yixing's shoulder. "Time to wake up," he said softly.

Mumbling softly to himself, Yixing was too warm and comfortable to move and just snuggled closer, still half asleep. He didn't really want to wake up, especially if it meant leaving the warmth and security of Jinon's arms. There were definitely benefits to having a bondmate, he smiled to himself. He'd have to encourage his friends to find theirs so they'd be as happy as he was.

"I'm hungry enough to eat your bed, Yixing," Jinon said softly. "I can't imagine you're feeling any less hungry; you haven't eaten anything either, and you should have something."

Scrunching up his face and pouting, Yixing blinked his eyes open and sighed. The nap had been too short, but he'd live. "I'll get someone to bring you something," he said, rubbing at his eyes. "What would you like?"

Jinon could eat while he slept; Yixing wasn't fussy, as long as he could sleep a bit more.

Jinon frowned. "How do you plan on feeling better without eating?" he asked softly, sitting up and running a finger, firm enough not to be sensual, not so firm as to tickle, down Yixing's ribs. "If I saw a dragon with ribs like that, I'd stuff them full of anything they'd eat."

Flushing uncomfortably, Yixing sighed. "I'm used to it," he replied quietly, slowly sitting up. "Being the best healer we have means I often don't have much time to eat, and am usually too tired to do anything after but sleep..."

"Baekhyun is always getting after me," he added with another sigh. "And Kyungsu..." Yixing glanced over at his bondmate, unable to avoid seeing how worried and unhappy he was about his condition. "I'll try to do better, ok?"
 
Jinon frowned, biting his lip. "You've slept," he pointed out. "A lot. I think if you eat something you won't feel quite so bad. Do you mind trying it?"

"I said I would, didn't I?" Yixing pouted, feeling defensive. "Jinon, please don't worry so much about me. I'll be ok. I'm used to this, really..." He sighed, sending a mental message to get someone to bring some food for them. "I've sent a message so hopefully they'll be quick. And have something you like..."

He gave a wry smile. "I have no idea what dragons like to eat, so you'll have to bear with me..."

Jinon gave him a look. "It's my job, for one," he said gently. "And... I'm going to worry, because if you haven't anything to give and try anyway - which I know you will - you'll kill yourself. And not quite purely for selfish reasons, I'm opposed to that." Violently, in fact. "As for food, I like... most anything. In this form, preferably not moving. The dragon, on the other hand, likes to hunt."

Yixing flushed, knowing Jinon was right. He would, because that was what healers did. And he was even more disposed to do that than most, because of his strong sense of obligation as prince.

"Healing people is my job, Jinon," he murmured, hoping his bondmate would understand. "I can't not do it..." Well, he could, but it would hurt. "I know it's hard for non-healers to understand, but when I see someone who needs me, as you know from experience, I have to try and help..."

"And it hurts not being able to help," he added softly, pain in his voice. "If Kyungsu dies because I couldn't help him, I won't be able to forgive myself..."

Jinon leaned closer to him, his nose nearly brushing Yixing's.

"I get that. I get that you can't help yourself unless someone does something about it," he said wryly. "Which means I don't understand why you don't take care of yourself better when you have the chance, so that you can do more for people when they need you."

He shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. I'm... just worried," he finished lamely.

Putting his arms around Jinon's neck and holding him close, Yixing smiled gently. "I'm just awkward like that," he murmured, "I'm sorry..." Taking a risk, he leaned closer and kissed Jinon, his heart pounding as he pulled away, his face pink. "And I understand. As I said, I'll try to do better."

He looked away, blushing furiously. "That was my first kiss, by the way..." he added softly.

Jinon blinked at him, startled, and then smiled. "It was a nice kiss," he murmured, leaning closer. "Can I have your second as well?"

And then snapped his head around with a growl at a knock on the door.

Blushing and smiling like an idiot, Yixing had to keep himself from jumping when the knock on the door told him their food had arrived. "It's whoever's bringing our food," he murmured, putting a hand on his bondmate's chest to calm him. "Not a threat... I promise..."

"Come in," he called, and the door opened to reveal a young elf carrying a tray whose eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw Yixing in bed with a dragon, of all people. "Put the tray on the table please," he smiled, trying to ignore the elf's obvious discomfort at Jinon's presence in Yixing's room and in his bed. "Thank you..."

It surprised Jinon, actually, how much the touch calmed him; not just him, but the dragon as well. It stopped pushing to get out. Interesting, that. "Are you sure..." he started, but then the door opened.

He couldn't help it, though; he watched the elf move through the room and set the tray down. "How much trouble are you going to be in?" he asked softly as the elf made his escape again.

Sighing softly, Yixing watched the elf leave, then looked at his bondmate. "Most likely? A lot," he shrugged ruefully. "But at least it means they won't be able to ignore the fact that we're bonded."

Biting his lip, he leaned closer and kissed him again. "There's my second kiss," he added impishly when he shifted back, his face still rosy. "And all the rest of my kisses are yours whenever you decide to claim them..."

However much trouble Yixing might be in, Jinon knew he was in for worse. Well... but at least with a full stomach he could keep his temper a little better. Being bonded made everything so... unstable. Hopefully that would change.

He laughed softly at Yixing's comment, hands at his waist pulling him closer. "Don't tempt me. We would never leave, and I don't think either of our fathers would be pleased."

"No, I can't see my father being happy, especially if I ignore his summons in favour of kissing you," Yixing agreed. "Much though I prefer your company to anyone else's. Not that I mind my brother or my friends. I'm not bonded to them."

Chuckling wryly, Yixing glanced at the tray on the table just out of their reach. "It's a shame I don't have Luhan's power," he mused, sighing. "Though I'm glad he's not here. I'd hate to think what he'd say to you, let alone about you..." He smiled faintly. "Luhan is a human who just happens to also be telekinetic...." he explained. "He's friendly enough, just... human."

Jinon kissed him quickly, and got up to fetch the tray. "No, nor would mine, when he gets around to summoning me. Us," he said. He set the tray between them on the bed. "Does he know what you are? Or are you just a... different friend to him?" he asked, picking up one of the rolls and tearing it open. Steam wafted out, and he smiled.

Picking up a slice of apple and chewing it thoughtfully, Yixing considered how to explain his friendship with Luhan.

"He doesn't know," he said quietly, his expression pensive. "Though I wonder if sometimes he suspects something, because he always watches me with an odd expression when he thinks I'm not looking..." He shrugged. "We don't see each other very often for various reasons, though I do trust him. As much as I would any human, that is..."

"I don't know if you'll ever get to meet him, but if you do, I'll have to introduce you as my boyfriend and hope he doesn't freak..."

"Don't mention the dragon part, and hopefully he won't," Jinon said, leaning back on his hands. He regarded Yixing for a moment. "I have a friend who will like you," he said after a moment. "Human, too, actually. I believe he thinks I'm the loneliest person he's ever seen, because a lot of the time I'm around him, Kan isn't in view." He scowled. "Often because I'm so sick of being watched over I make him go away. And he can't, so he... hovers just out of sight."

He picked up an orange and peeled it. "At least I feel a bit less like I'm being shadowed no matter where I go."

Smiling faintly, Yixing nodded. "I know the feeling," he murmured, sighing. "Kyungsu does the same thing, though... he doesn't usually trust me enough to let me out of his sight." He chuckled softly, tilting his head to grin at Jinon. "At least here, the only one shadowing you is me..."

Or at least for as long as they stayed in his suite. Once they left, there would be all sorts of watchers, and not all of them friendly.

"It's nice that you have friends other than dragons too," he added with a smile. "That somehow gives me hope that we can do this, be able to bridge the gap between our races and stop this petty war..."

Jinon smiled at him, reaching over to pop one of the orange segments into Yixing's mouth.

"I kind of like it that way, actually," he said. "Even if it's an illusion, and even if it won't last." He sighed. "I hope so too. I'm tired of it, even if my father isn't. I'm afraid that some time, the humans, your Luhan, or Yejun, will get caught between and blow everything, and get hurt. Or worse. And I can't think of how to stop it."

"That's why I rarely see Luhan anymore," Yixing said sadly around the piece of orange in his mouth. "I didn't see him that much anyway, but now it's even less. I don't want him hurt, or worse, used by Kyuhyun as a pawn in yet another of his stupid attempts at gaining power." He glanced at Jinon. "Like he did with you..."

"It hurts, and I am sure it hurts him too, but sometimes I'd rather he hated me and be alive than liking me... and ending up dead as a result. Kyuhyun is ruthless." Swallowing, Yixing sighed yet again. "I'm more afraid of what he'll try to do to you once he finds out about us, to be honest."

"With or without the council's backing..."

Jinon scowled. "There has to be a way to get him out of the way," he said. "Somehow." But not today, obviously.

For a second time, his head whipped around when the door opened, no knock this time, and a much more ornately dressed elf stopped in the doorway.

Going pale when one of his father's messengers entered the room, Yixing looked at him, his chin raised defiantly.

"The King wishes to see you as soon as possible to explain your actions," the elf said coldly, not acknowledging Jinon's presence. "Within the half hour, in fact..."

"We'll be there," Yixing replied as calmly as he could, his heart pounding uncomfortably. This didn't bode well. "You may leave..."

After a final cold look, the messenger left the room, and Yixing sank against his bondmate bonelessly. "This is bad," he murmured shakily, starting to get out of bed. "We need to get dressed and go before the situation gets out of hand." He sighed yet again. "I can only hope he'll actually listen to me for a change instead of shouting, or giving me horribly disappointed looks."

"Hm," Jinon said, struggling a little. Getting control again (was this normal? He had no idea), he moved the tray to the table and went to help Yixing off the bed. The little electricity that he'd felt before had changed to a calming effect he needed now, and he might have held Yixing a bit closer than his bondmate was comfortable with. But eventually he steadied, and smiled at him.

"I think we left your brother's clothes in the bathroom," he said, hesitated, then kissed Yixing again. "I'll be right back."

Once back in the bathroom, he draped the towel over a rack and quickly dressed in the clothes Tao had left. They were a little too big, but not so much that he looked like a little boy wearing his older brother's clothes. A relief, that. And they didn't look too badly on him. He straightened the collar and went back to Yixing.

Tempted to melt into the kiss, Yixing watched Jinon go to get dressed, biting at his lip until his bondmate disappeared into the bathroom. Deciding he'd better hurry and get dressed as well, Yixing sighed softly and grabbed clean clothes, dressing as quickly as he could. Looking up when Jinon returned, Yixing's heart skipped as he saw the clothes he wore; black really suited him, even if the clothes were Tao's originally.

"You look good," he murmured, leaving the buttons of the shirt he'd pulled on over his white t-shirt undone and buckling up his belt. He'd lost more weight, Yixing realised guiltily as he tightened it another notch, not that Jinon would know unless someone said something. "Let's hope my father agrees with me..."

Jinon smiled. "Thank you. I'm just glad he's not so much a giant I look like a child," he said. "You look much better yourself." He sobered. "How is the best way to do this? Without injuring pride or looking threatening, I mean," he clarified, almost more to himself than Yixing. "I don't want to give your father that impression."

Standing in front of Jinon, Yixing put a steadying hand on his bondmate's chest again (he couldn't help it; he liked the not-so-hidden strength and the way his muscles moved), smiling gently at him.

"Just be yourself," Yixing replied, leaning to give him another kiss. "He can't expect any more or any less of you than that, and I don't want him to get unrealistic expectations of you." He looked down, biting at his lip again. "It's bad enough he has them of me..."

Jinon closed his eyes, enjoying the touch. And the kiss. "I will be myself, then." He met Yixing's gaze. "Should I walk behind you, beside you, how?"

Stupid, maybe, but he did want to keep from insulting anyone right now. Later? that was up for grabs.

"You are my equal, Jinon," Yixing replied, a serious expression on his face. "You should be by my side, as is fitting not only of my bondmate, but as a prince in your own right. You may be a dragon, but you are also a prince, and have every right to be treated as one, regardless of what my cousin and his sympathisers believe."

Jinon took his hand and nodded. "Good. Let's go then, and see your father. Making him wait can't be a good thing."

They left the room, and Jinon kept his eyes on the hallway before them and not on his bondmate or the elegance around him. He'd look at that later, when this was behind them. Yixing was right, of course; the hairs on his nape stood up with the pressure of eyes on them, but he showed none of that.

It didn't take them long to reach the private audience chamber, and the guards opened the door. Jinon had an instant of relief (not the same place he'd been brought to before) and then turned his attention to the man on the throne.

"Yixing," Han Geng said flatly. "Explain yourself."

Bowing deeply and doing his best not to let his father see just how nervous he was, Yixing took one step toward the throne, then stopped, his expression as impassive as he could make it.

"Father," he began quietly, turning to gesture at Jinon, "This is my bondmate, Jinon. We met yesterday after the battle when he asked me to heal his friend..." He ignored the uproar his statement had caused. "Somehow, I ended up being left behind, and I have questions regarding this, but he made sure I was safe until Baekhyun could come and collect me. Though Kyuhyun took him and his friend, Kan, prisoner, against the rules."

His expression hardened. "Not only that, Father, but he mistreated my bondmate. How is it that my cousin is permitted to treat anyone this way, let alone my bondmate? Jinon may be a dragon, but he is an honourable man and did not harm me, so there was no need for any of this!"

The uproar went on a bit longer than usual because the idea that his son had bonded to a dragon stunned Geng speechless. Finally, he decided to ignore that part - for the moment - and straightened.

"Silence!" he roared.

The room went quiet, and Geng stood, walking toward them. "Your bondmate," he said quietly, but his voice still carried through the room. "I doubt very much that Kyuhyun knew about that, considering."

"As for the rest, he was within his rights. This dragon had taken a healer and forced you to heal an enemy. It is not often we are given the chance to express our disapproval of this habit they have of kidnapping healers."

Jinon watched him but didn't say anything, not wanting to make it harder on Yixing.

"Taking him prisoner is one thing, but abusing him when he treated me honourably?" Yixing's voice, like his father's, was soft. "Is that how we wish to be seen? As no better than savages?"

"And if I had told him of our bond, you know as well as I do that Kyuhyun would have branded me a traitor and howled for my execution," he added just as quietly. "I am sure Zitao has already told you what he witnessed. I am also sure he wouldn't have felt the need to interfere if he felt the situation was going to stay calm..."

"Our bond is true. You should be able to tell quite easily. I am no traitor. The fact that he is still here with me despite the war between our people should prove that."

A twist of the lips was Geng's only response to the comment about Kyuhyun. "He will be reprimanded for the abuse," he merely said.  

Then he looked at Jinon, pacing around him in silence. After a moment he want to stand in front of Yixing again. "So it appears," he said quietly. "And now what to do with both of you."

"Is it necessary to do anything?" Yixing asked, watching his father warily. "I am no different than I was before. I am bonded, even if somewhat oddly, to a dragon, and as unlikely as it seems, I am happy with him."

"He doesn't force me to do anything I don't wish to, and he doesn't make me feel like I have to be someone I'm not." Which was more than could be said of most elves who tried to make him be like them. "If anything, he's made me feel like I'm a better person, just by him being with me."

"Is that not what you've been trying to teach me all this time, Father?"

"Yes," Geng said. "Something must be done with you. Although one question was answered. Still. The law stands, that a dragon who has taken one of our healers must pay the price. Yes, Yixing, even if he did return you."  

Jinon shifted, the dragon in him becoming worried. This didn't sound good.

Yixing's eyes widened in dismay. "He is my bondmate," he said quietly, trying hard to keep his composure. "Anything you do to him, I will share."

Jinon blinked, startled, but it didn't surprise him once he'd thought about it. And Yixing... "No," he blurted, and turned to Yixing. "You can't be serious."  

Yixing knew that once his father's mind was made up, there was no changing it, so he hoped that by demanding a share in the punishment, it would lessen the severity of it. This was all he could think of to do, and it hurt that he hadn't thought to warn Jinon of this possibilty. But there was one more thing his father needed to know.

"But you can't kill him," he added defiantly. "He is also a prince, and if anything happens to him, his father will doubtless hear and this war will escalate, something I don't want. Please keep that in mind..."  

"It was never our aim to kill any dragon we caught for something like that," Geng said, watching the interaction between them. It was true, then. Not that he doubted his son, but Kyuhyun was persuasive.

Kyuhyun ground his teeth at that news. He'd had Kangin's son in his grasp, and let him slip through.... that would change, and soon.  

Geng barely kept from staring at his son at that revelation. "This is...." he took a deep breath, and let it out quietly. "I am sorry," he said with a gesture toward his guards. "I cannot run the risk that he get hurt. Go with the guards. I will speak with you on this later."

Bowing as he hid his surprise, Yixing nodded and reached for Jinon's hand, wanting to make sure his bondmate stayed with him.

"Thank you, Father," he murmured softly, turning to glance at his father and seeing Kyuhyun's murderous expression from the corner of his eye. "I appreciate this..."

As long as they were free to go, they could go and see Kyungsu now that the worst was hopefully over. And prove to everyone that as long as he was safe, his people were safe from Jinon.

Time to speak to Geng, Kyuhyun thought. And suggest things to do with the knowledge they'd just received.