Unexpected Bonds - Chapter 4

Unexpected Bonds

Baekhyun was disoriented and a little scared, not that he let it show. Or at least he hoped not. Dressed in black trousers and jacket with a scale design, a silver chain at his waist, and smoky black eyeliner lining his dark eyes, the faerie pushed through the crowd, his heart racing uncomfortably. He had no idea where he was in relation to where he needed to be, nor did he have the contacts he needed to get to the dragon palace.

In short, Baekhyun was screwed.

"Where the am I?" he murmured, looking around again anxiously, about to give up and try somewhere else. This place looked a bit too...dangerous for the likes of him.

"You look a bit lost," a soft voice purred behind him. "And you don't belong here. Is there a reason you're here, or can I just eat you and be done?"

LeeU was entirely too bored, and really didn't want to be here... until this pretty little faerie just waltzed into his line of sight. He could be fun to play with, right?

Whirling around, Baekhyun's eyes narrowed at the odd-looking dragon who claimed he wanted to eat him. Definitely lacked fashion sense, Baekhyun decided, looking him up and down, sniffing in derision. And sense at all, if he thought Baekhyun was going to be an easy mark.

"Lost, maybe," he smirked, staring at the dragon openly, "But as to whether or not I have a reason to be here, I'll leave that up to you. I'm looking for Kan. I have a message for him from Jinon, and it's rather urgent, so if you'd be a dear and tell me where I can find him..."

He was aware he was being annoying, but this dragon rubbed him the wrong way from the get-go. Baekhyun was not going to let himself be on anyone's dinner list as the dinner.

"Sometime this century would be nice..." he added impatiently. "Since, as I said, I have no ing clue where I am. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't give me the run-around, or Jinon will hear about it, and I don't know about you, but I'd hate to have him pissed at me..."

LeeU stared at him, then frowned. The idiot faerie knew the right words, the right... "Kan, you say," he said, folding his arms. "What'd he look like last time you saw him?"

Baekhyun blinked and stared at the dragon, shaking his head. "How the am I supposed to know?" he snapped in annoyance. What was with these dragons? Such a dumb, suspicious bunch of idiots.

"I've never met the guy. I was just told to ask for him so I could give him a message, and to ask for the king." He shook his head again. "Wow, you dragons are stupid, asking me dumb questions. Just take me to the guy already. Or better yet, the king himself..."

"And make it snappy. I don't have time to waste...and neither does Jinon."

LeeU grabbed the annoying little faerie by the throat. "As you wish, stupid," he said quietly, pulled him through a narrow doorway, and after a brief blackness, a large cave, well lit by a natural skylight. He stopped a moment without a look at the being in his hand, and then set off across the floor to where a large blue and gold dragon lay, curled and watching.

"My King," he said, managing a bow even with the stupid thing in his hand. "This faerie wishes to speak with you. He says he has word of Jinon." He let the faerie fall and stepped back.

The dragon raised up, his eyes narrowed in anger. "What do you have to say?" he asked in a voice that rumbled through the cave.

His eyes widening in shock as the dragon took him by the throat, Baekhyun's hands went to try and pry them off, gasping for air as he was carried though to the dragon king and thrown to the floor where he lay panting and glaring at the dragon who'd hurt him. He would remember the face, even if he didn't know the name, and have his revenge.

When the dragon king spoke, Baekhyun stumbled to his feet and bowed deeply, then glared resentfully at the other dragon.

"With all due respect and apologies, Your Majesty," he murmured hoarsely, his throat aching. "I can't speak with him or anyone else in the room. I have something Jinon requested me to show and then give you, but I don't dare risk anyone else seeing it, given the significance of it..."

He bowed low again despite how stiff and hurt he was. This was more important than a few minor injuries.

LeeU turned and strode off before the king could say anything; within moments, the cave was empty.

"You have news of my son," the dragon growled again, still angry. "If you would have me call off the attack, you'd better talk fast."

Before saying anything, Baekhyun held out his hand, his palm glowing brightly. A few moments later, the bloodstone Jinon had given him lay on his open palm.

"Your son, Prince Jinon, gave me this, to show that he was still alive and in the safe hands of Prince Yixing," Baekhyun said formally, bowing again. "He asked me to tell you he is fine, being cared for and will soon return home." He sighed. "And if there are any questions I can answer, I will..."

The dragon shimmered, shrinking into a tall, broad-shouldered man, still young-looking. He reached out and took the bloodstone, cradling it in his palm, his eyes on the messenger. Then he closed his hand over it.

"This way," he said, and led the way deeper into the cavern, to a table with food and drink on it. "Where is he exactly, why is he there, and who is caring for him?" he asked when they'd settled down at the table. A girl poured water into two cups and then stepped away again.

Blinking in awe at the transformation, Baekhyun had to think for a minute before he could get his brain working, a little sigh escaping him. "From what he told me, he..." Baekhyun looked away for a second sheepishly. This was Jinon's father, and telling him of his son's misdeeds...

"He kidnapped Prince Yixing to heal his friend Kan... without realising that Yixing would be left behind, and one of ours in turn had him and Kan kidnapped in retaliation and he was going to have them killed. But Yixing had Kan released and is keeping Jinon with him until he is healed, because he was hurt during the battle, though he refused to let Yixing heal him because he was close to collapse."

Letting it all out in a rush, Baekhyun felt a bit silly, but looked at the dragon king earnestly. "In fact he did collapse while Jinon and I were talking about how to contact you so you wouldn't be concerned..." He couldn't tell Jinon's father about the bond, finding the man completely intimidating. He'd let Jinon do that.

Kangin stared at him, and then laughed. "Well, that bit I've heard," he said. "About how he kidnapped a healer, tried to return him and found them all gone. About how the healer left when he heard someone calling him. About the maniac elf - his words - that jumped them and took them back. About suddenly being in Hongdae with someone named Taozi, Yixing's younger brother, I suspect, and turned loose."

His mouth twisted.

"Not allowing himself to be healed is very like my son, I'm afraid." He relaxed a bit more and gestured. "Kan, tell them to stop. Jinon is safe."

Kan stepped out of the shadows. "How do you know?" he asked, respectfully.

"This... " He stopped. "I'm sorry. I didn't get your name. This faerie brought me news and reassurances that Jinon is cared for."

"I am Baekhyun, Your Majesty," Baekhyun bowed, introducing himself, flushing with embarrassment. "Please forgive my rudeness... and it was me who was calling for Yixing on the battlefield that day."

Kan, still looking worried, nodded and left again.

Baekhyun chuckled at the description of Kyuhyun as a maniac; that certainly fit him, then sighed.

"We are trying to undo the damage the 'maniac elf' did, and I apologise for what he has done. It was not condoned by our side at any time and Yixing is anxious to make sure Jinon is completely healthy before he returns home..."

Baekhyun touched his throat, the pain making his voice hoarse and scratchy. Taking a drink of the water with a sigh of relief, he growled in his mind. That dragon would definitely pay for hurting him.

"Not well liked by your lot either, I take it," Kangin said, and leaned back. "So he is in Yixing's care, then?"

He noticed Baekhyun's discomfort and decided he needed to talk to LeeU again about his temper. Although it was somewhat... understandable, at least a little. Still, maybe it was time to reassign him.

"No, he's not really liked by anyone except those like him, power hungry and deceitful," Baekhyun murmured, a spark of anger in his eyes. "And yes, Jinon is in Yixing's care and will stay with him until he is ready to return..."

Whenever that was going to be. With their bond, Baekhyun wasn't sure it would be anytime soon, either, which could create problems if they weren't careful. Now that he'd delivered his message, Baekhyun's task was finished and it was time for him to go home.

Getting to his feet, he bowed again and smiled. "Thank you for your kind hospitality and your willingness to listen to what I had to say, Your Majesty," Baekhyun murmured, readying himself to go. "Is there somewhere I can go to safely use my magic to leave? I don't wish to disrupt your protections...or to be fried by them." He chuckled softly.

Kangin stood slowly. "He trusted you," he said. "Trusted you enough to send you here." He leaned forward over the table and touched Baekhyun on the forehead, between the eyes. "You are now safe to go in and out, as long as you carry a message from my son."

"Tell him, though, that no more of these are necessary." He opened his hand again, smiling to find it empty. "Those who need to know will know you."

Blinking at the king, Baekhyun looked surprised at the comment, chuckling at the message he had for Jinon.

"Considering how it was made, I should think not," he replied, shaking his head. "It didn't look very comfortable... or pain-free for him." He nodded his thanks. "Thank you. I appreciate it, though I hope you won't be offended if I say I hope it won't be necessary to appear here often," he added quietly. "I do not wish to be considered a traitor to my people..."

"I am here as a favour to my friend Yixing, and to your son, Jinon, only, with all due respect, Your Majesty. Not to fight a battle against you or my people..." Baekhyun felt awkward, but hoped the King understood what he meant, that though they were on opposing sides, he would not use this privilege to commit treachery.

"I do understand," Kangin said. "But if he needs to get through to me again, for whatever reason, you will not have to deal with... subordinates again."

"Thank you," Baekhyun nodded once as he stepped back, holding his hands out palm upward, letting the familiar feeling of light wash over him, taking him back to his rooms where he slumped onto his bed, his hand at his throat.

"That dragon is going to die," he muttered angrily, rolling over onto his back as he closed his eyes, sighing. He was too tired and sore for this. He'd catch up with Yixing and Jinon in the morning and let them know what had happened. For now, he'd sleep it off and hope his throat would recover.

Kangin watched him go, then walked back into the cavern and shifted. "LeeU, I would have words with you..." he rumbled.



Jinon stired and froze when pain shot through his side. It took him a moment to remember where he was, and he slowly sat up, managing it without making too much noise. In front of him, Yixing still slept (as far as he knew) and he really hoped Baekhyun had returned safely. He glanced around, but there was no way for him to shift now; no room. Just as well, probably. Moving slowly and pausing at each stab of pain, he got to his feet.

"Where are you going?" Yixing asked sleepily from the bed, awakened by his bondmate's pain. "You're in pain..." Slowly sitting up, he peered at Jinon. "Where's Baekhyun? Did he get back ok?"

"I'm just standing up," Jinon said. "I got stiff, and I needed to move. I haven't heard anything from Baekhyun. I fell asleep just after he left, and I just woke up. I hope he's okay." He leaned against the chair he'd been in.

Patting the bed in invitation, Yixing looked concerned. "I hope so too," he murmured, brushing back his hair with a grimy hand to look at Jinon. "Why are you sleeping in a chair rather than with me?" he asked, biting at his lip. "My bed is big enough..." He smiled shyly. "And I don't bite, unlike your kind," he teased.

"Should I go see if he's in his room first, though?" he asked, shifting on the bed to get out. "I'm worried about him."

"Yes, do," Jinon said quietly. "I'd like to make sure someone didn't eat him." He didn't move toward the bed, not yet, but he did manage to straighten up a little.

Nodding, Yixing got up and headed to the door, passing the chair where Jinon stood, and put his hand on his bondmate's shoulder. Letting a little of his energy pass to the dragon to heal him, Yixing smiled faintly before continuing slowly to the door and out into the hall toward Baekhyun's room.

Knocking on the door and softly calling Baekhyun's name, Yixing's concern grew when he didn't get any answer. Knocking harder, Yixing was startled when the door clicked open to reveal the diminutive faerie passed out on his bed, distinct finger marks around his neck. At his friend's side in moments, Yixing shook Baekhyun awake.

"Baekhyunnie, what happened?" he asked, his eyes narrowed as the faerie's eyes opened blearily, widening when he saw Yixing in his room, his hands flying to his throat.

"I'm fine, XingXing," Baekhyun murmured back, avoiding Yixing's eyes and sighing softly. "Really. It's nothing I can't handle...."

"Clearly it is when it looked like someone tried to strangle my best friend, Baekhyun," Yixing said angrily, pulling Baekhyun's hands away from his throat. "Let me see so I can help you..."

Sighing, Baekhyun let Yixing heal him, remaining quiet when he asked him what happened.

"Maybe I should let Jinon try talking to you," the healer grumbled, throwing up his hands in defeat. "You're impossible. Did you at least get to talk to the king?" Yixing looked at him hopefully, relieved when he nodded. "Thank you." He sighed and glared at Baekhyun. "Though next time let us know you're ok so we won't worry about you?"

"I knew you'd freak out, that's why," Baekhyun shrugged, earning another glare. "I was going to wait until tomorrow and had hoped the marks would have been gone by then..."

"Idiot," Yixing muttered, getting to his feet and ruffling Baekhyun's hair. "They would have gotten worse. And we would have freaked even more." He glared at his friend from the door. "We still might..."

"Go back to sleep, XingXing-idiot, and stop healing people," Baekhyun smirked. "Save it for Jinon..."

Chuckling, Yixing went back to his rooms, the smile dropping from his face as soon as he got back.

The energy had helped, and Jinon managed to get at least to the bed. It took him some time to get his shirt off (pulling it over his head hurt) but he managed, and checked the bandage. The cut had scabbed over at one point, but his movement had opened it again. He shifted the bandage over just a bit and tied it again, hissing at the pressure. At least it wasn't bleeding too much...

He looked up when Yixing came back in, having just decided not to try to put his shirt back on. "You... look like you didn't just sleep," he said. "Are you okay?"

"I had to heal Baekhyun," Yixing replied quietly, almost falling back onto the bed as he went to sit beside Jinon, his hands in his lap. "One of yours had obviously tried to strangle him or something, though he's refusing to tell me what happened or who did it," he added, his eyes hard. "There were finger marks around his neck!"

He sighed. "Tomorrow he will have bruises and his throat will probably still be sore because I couldn't do much..." Yixing looked over at Jinon, reaching his hands to try and help with the re-opened wound. "Will you be ok? You're bleeding again..."

Jinon smiled at him, feeling a jolt again when their eyes met.

"Knowing my father, it's been dealt with," he said. "He takes 'don't shoot the messenger' very seriously." Jinon wasn't even going to try to guess who it might be. Too many of his people were on edge for him to have any accuracy in that guess.

"I'll be fine; it's already smaller. You have to stop before you wear yourself out completely. Thank you," he added, his skin tingling where Yixing's fingers brushed him. "It's not really life threatening, just painful and stupid. You should go back to sleep."

"Well, knowing Baekhyun, his smart mouth probably provoked it, but still, as you said..."

Yixing sighed, withdrawing his hands with a small pout, not even bothering to protest this time. He felt awful and probably looked worse.

"I'll sleep if you sleep beside me," he murmured, settling down into bed, holding the blanket open so that Jinon could snuggle with him if he wanted to. He didn't want to have to sleep alone now that he had a bondmate. Not when they had a choice in the matter.

Jinon didn't protest, moving slowly to lay down next to Yixing, trying to keep the thing from breaking open again and getting blood all over the sheets. He also still hurt.

"Willingly," he murmured. "See how many of your people we can completely freak out...."

Why no, he wasn't making sense, why do you ask? Jinon brushed his fingers over Yixing's cheek, marveling at the smooth skin and the little shocks of electricity that went down his arm. He had to wonder if those ever stopped. If not, kissing him could be a painful proposition.

"Won't happen," Yixing grinned smugly, his eyes closed as he snuggled close to Jinon. "Wards protecting you. Me. Us..."

His coherency slipping away as he fell asleep with Jinon's fingers caressing his face, the young elf's smile stayed on his lips. He had something and someone to live for, to love and protect just as much as the dragon he was bonded to probably felt, and it felt amazing.

Ahhhh, that made sense. Jinon relaxed completely and fell asleep almost immediately, his hand still resting on Yixing's cheek.