Younger Brother

Seaside

 

“Yesung hyung!” Kyuhyun called out.

I arrived ten minutes later than the time we were supposed to meet, and I could feel Kyuhyun’s annoyed aura even from afar. The place I decided for us to meet was one of the many cafés Kyu’s family owned.

Cho Kyuhyun. This brat was my bestfriend and classmate. He was a year younger than me, but he skipped a grade because his grades were consistently higher than average. He transferred to our school two weeks after the start of this school year. He was bullied in his previous school and decided to transfer to Neul Paran High. We didn’t really have that much in common, but a certain incident made us stick together.

Everyone was gossiping about the new student. It was rare for our school to accept a new student when the school year already started and what was more surprising was that the new student decided to transfer two weeks after.

“Annyeong haseyo. Choneun Cho Kyuhyun imnida. Please take care of me.”

I was sleeping, not really caring about the transfer student. Why should I care? This guy was probably one of those over-confident brats in our class, thinking they were hot and cool when they certainly were not.

Thud.

I looked up and could not find the transfer student. Then, I realized that everyone was laughing while looking at the floor beside me. The others who could not see the scene stood up to get a better view started laughing as well. I normally doesn’t care when someone got humiliated, but I got angry when somebody spoke up.

“Look at that! We have another Yesung! Another stupid and clumsy classmate!”

Everyone went silent as I looked up at the one who spoke. Ahh. The leader of the hunk-wannabes—Yunho. (Note: Not the TVXQ member; I just can’t think of a name.)

I stood and helped the new kid up. I could not see his face because he was hanging his head low, but I could feel him shaking as I held his arm.

I gave Yunho my infamous glare and smirk that I got from my brother. Everyone in the room shivered and Yunho’s friend tried to make him apologize. Apparently, the reason why everyone got scared was because of the unchangeable fact that Kim Heechul was my brother.

Heebongie hyung was famous for being a legend. He defeated the taekwondo and karate club presidents without breaking a sweat. It somehow led to many false rumors including him being a gangster and whatnot. Fortunately, it was also known that a lot of teachers respected him for his high grades and talent as a film director, which extinguished some of the rumors. Unfortunately for my part, though, a lot of people got so scared that they didn’t talk to me at all. They were probably thinking that I had the same attitude and talent as my hyung. Well, they were right. I was as talented as my hyung in fighting but not in the field of directing. I was more inclined to singing—a talent I never showed to other people.

I asked the teacher for permission to accompany Kyuhyun to the infirmary. The teacher just nodded, afraid that I might snap at him. Everyone watched silently as we left the room, their eyes never leaving us.

As we walked along the corridor, I sensed that he was really tense, so I asked him if he was fine.

“I’m alright. It doesn’t really hurt. We don’t need to go to the infirmary.”

I raised an eyebrow and asked, “Really? Because I’m sure that you were going to cry back there. You were shaking really bad.”

Kyuhyun blushed and stuttered, “I-I wa-was not! I-I’m j-just feeling c-cold th-that’s why I w-was shaking.”

Trying not to embarrass him more, I decided to drop subject. “By the way, my name is Kim Jongwoon.” I smiled at him.

“Jongwoon? But I thought you’re name is Yesung?” he asked, confused, but a lot more relaxed after I smiled.

“Most people call me that,” I stated.

“Ohh. Then what should I call you?”

“Your choice. I don’t really mind either way.”

“Okay, Yesungie hyung!” he exclaimed cheerfully.

“Hyung? Aren’t we the same age?” It was my turn to get confused.

“I skipped a grade.” He spoke as if it was nothing. Unbelievable.

“O-kay. Do you want to go to the rooftop? I don’t feel like going back to class.” The day was just starting, but I was already tired. I wanted to sleep on the rooftop at that very moment.

“But isn’t that where the bullies usually hang out?” he asked, looking scared.

“Huh? Bullies? There are no bullies there. None of them even dared to go there,” I told him. I was starting to get amused by his anxiety.

“How come?” he asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

“That’s where I usually hang out.”

Kyuhyun suddenly stopped in his tracks. I turned to look at him, and he backed away.

“S-so y-you’re a bully? I knew it! The way everyone looked at you at the classroom. I knew you are not just a normal student trying to be kind.” I could see him getting paler and thinking of ways to run away from me.

Honestly, I was pissed. Really, really pissed. I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself. I started to walk towards him, but with every step I took, he took a step back.

“Do you know what I hate the most? People who judge. Do you know who I am aside from my name? No, right? Now, tell me, what right do you have to judge me? A bully? Me? Hah! Those guys are just scared of my brother. That’s why they are scared of me. They even thought I’m like him. Do they know his real personality? No! They judge us without even trying to know us. I suppose you’re also the type to believe other people’s lies?”

“I-I’m so-sorry. I-I di-didn’t meant to offend you.” He looked down looking scared as hell.

I stopped on my tracks and studied the brat standing before me. I felt pity for the kid and I felt like a bully when I was trying to say I was not. 

"It’s alright. Don’t be scared of me. I’m not going to hurt you. I’m your hyung, right? Just don’t judge other people. Could you promise me that?” I ruffled his hair as his tears fell down.

“I’m really sorry, Jongwoonie hyung. I promise I won’t do that again.” He was trying to wipe his tears when I pulled him into a hug.

“So, this is how it feels to have a little brother, huh? Let me show you my sanctuary at school, and you have to tell me your problem.” I smiled at him affectionately. I always wanted to have a younger brother, and this kid was a good candidate.

When we reached the rooftop, I heard Kyuhyun’s gasp. “Hyung! You didn’t tell me it was a greenhouse! This is amazing!” Kyuhyun started to roam around the rooftop, looking at every plant and flower and admiring the view.

“My brother is the one who showed me this place. Nice, right? I love this place. It’s a good place for Ddangkoma.” I told him as I lay down on the bed. “Awesome, right? I’m the one who asked the caretakers to put a queen-size bed in here.”

“Whoa! You have a bed here! Daebak! Could I lie down, too? Is the brother you were talking about a scary one? Who’s Ddangkoma? Is this place yours?” I was afraid a lot more questions will come, so I raised my hand to stop him.

Sigh. “You ask too many questions. I’ll answer it all if you promise to tell me what happened at your previous school.”

He nodded.

“You can lie down beside me. Stop standing there.” He run gleefully and jumped into the bed.

“As for your other questions, I don’t own this place. Only a few people are allowed here, and that includes me, and now, you. As for the brother, yes, he’s the scary one. I only have one sibling, but I have to tell you that he’s really nice and affectionate. He just doesn’t express it that much. And Ddangkoma is my turtle.”

He turned towards me and asked “You have a turtle?”

I just rolled my eyes, which pretty much said, “Duh.”

“Now, tell me what happened.” I turned to face him, too. I was eager to hear everything.

Kyuhyun took a deep breath, trying not to cry. I placed a hand on his shoulder to comfort him. “It’s all right. Everything’s fine. Hyung is here nothing will happen to you.”

“I will do my best to tell you everything. I was bullied ever since I was in middle school. Everyone hated me because the teachers favoured me, and it only grew worse when they learned I’m rich. They thought I bribed the teachers to get good grades. When everyone hated you, it’s unavoidable to get hurt. I’m an outcast. They beat me up when they are in a good mood, and they beat me up when they are not. No one talked to me. They act nice toward me when the teachers are looking, but when they turn their backs, I receive painful beatings. I thought everything would stop when I reach high school. I thought everyone would be mature enough to know that bullying is childish. But no! At the first day of classes, all I received from them are glares and punches. So I decided to transfer to another school—somewhere else far away from them. I’m a coward. I hate myself for running away and not confronting them, for not fighting back.”

Kyuhyun’s tears were flowing endlessly. He tried to hide his face, but I stopped him from doing so. I sat up and made him sit as well. I held both his shoulders looked at him straight in the eyes.

“You are strong. For three years, you endured all those painful beatings and memories. I myself can’t do that. I would probably transfer school after the first year. But you? You were able to endure it longer than anyone could. Be proud of yourself, and stop living in the past. Everything is different now. I would protect you like a younger brother. But you should also learn to fight for yourself. Don’t let anyone see your weaknesses unless you know you could trust them. Do not let them think you are weak because you are not. Arasso?”

He just nodded and clung unto me as he cried his heart out. I caressed his ear and spoke comforting words until he finally calmed down. He moved away from me and wiped his tears away.

“Thanks, hyung.”

“No problem. Isn’t that what a hyung is for?”

I grinned at him and smacked him upside the head.

“Let’s get back to class and show them your new image!”

=========<3==========

Who would have thought he would change so fast?

“Hyung! You’re late again.”

He glared at me, and I gave him a grin in return.

“Sorry. I need your help.”

I called a waiter and asked for coffee and blueberry cheesecake. I ignored Kyuhyun’s glare and  succeeded in doing so since I was used to it.

“What is it this time, Jongwoon?” he asked, still angry for my being late.

“I need your club to sing the song I composed and recruit some members who could help for our film.” He just stared at me incredulously, not believing I asked him a favour when he was in a bad mood.

“Why in the world do you think I will help you with that?”

My coffee and cheesecake arrived, and I was able to ignore Kyuhyun’s death glare once more. After three minutes of staring at my delicious food, I decided to taste it. I savoured its taste, still ignoring Kyu’s growing temper.

When I sensed that Kyuhyun was about to explode, I decided to speak. “Simply because I’m your hyung and best friend.”

With the spoon still in my mouth, I watched in amusement as Kyuhyun yelled, “I waited for ten minutes for you to arrive, and I have to wait for another ten minutes for a nonsensical reply?!”

“Watch your temper, brat. I was just joking. Here.” I grabbed a case from my bag and placed it on the table.

When Kyuhyun finally calmed down, he sat and grabbed the case. He finally opened it and  could not believe his eyes. There in his hands lay the newest, limited, and not-yet-released game that every gamer wanted to have.

He stared at his favourite hyung, stood up, and yelled with delight, “Jongwoonie Hyung!” He hugged me with too much force that I could barely breathe.

“Let go, you brat! Aishh! Calm down or else I’m going to take it back.” After he heard what I said, he zipped his mouth and went back to his seat.

“Aigoo! You look so cute when you’re like that! Let me take a picture.” I took my chance to take a lot of pictures because he usually did not pout that cutely.

“So, could you help me?” I asked him.

“Of course, hyung. I could help you with the songs, but I’m not sure with the film. Someone already asked our help for a coastal clean-up, and a lot of members joined. But I can still try to help; I will ask the other members if they’re interested.”

I somehow couldn’t find myself feeling depressed when I looked at Kyu looking like that. He was hugging the case like how a kid would hug his precious teddy bear. I chuckled and took a lot more pictures.

“Coastal clean-up, huh? Well, I can’t do anything about it. Thanks for the help, Kyu. Could you accompany me to the music shop? I need to buy something.”

“Sure, hyung. Just let me hide this baby; someone might steal it.” He looked around the room as if he was afraid someone was planning to steal his precious game.

I laughed at his expression and told him to hide it already. I looked at the clock and noticed that it was only 2:00 P.M. I still have a lot of time before the day ended.

More hours to go.

 

Hey, guys! Thank you for reading this chapter. Please don't be a silent reader! I really appreciate comments, how small they may be! And please subscribe! 

By the way, about the greenhouse thingy... I'm not sure if that's what people usually call it. Do you see the picture below? Of course you do. Stupid me. Well, it's kind of like what I'm imagining except it has a room at one side which connects to the stairs and that room has glass windows. It also has a queen size bed! Originally, I was thinking of a king sized one but I think its too big. Hahah. Outside the room their is a bench then there's a lot of different kinds of flowers. Kind of cool, huh? What do you think? Oh God,,, I think I should stop this imagination....