Chapter Six.

The Stockholm Syndrome.

 

- "It really surprises me that you didn’t try to talk to me when we just met, Kai, hahaha!".

- "Hey, don’t laugh at that, I was scared, confused and embarrassed, I felt all that together".

- "Hahahaha, could I believe that coming from you, Kai? Hahaha!".

- "Of course, I’m not lying, I think that the fact of having you here against your will makes clear that I’m telling the truth and I’m doing extreme things so you believe me".

- "You’re… right about that… Sorry…".

- "Hey… don’t feel bad! Look, it’s just that in the past… you could look like an innocent guy, but other people used to say that you were a bad tempered guy".

- "Oh, I didn’t know that. So… I was a bad person in the past…".

- "No, Kyungsoo, please don’t misunderstand it… you were never a bad person… never ever… It’s just that, to my eyes, you looked really precious, like a treasure, and I just couldn’t go and talk to you just like that".

Kai always seeing me as something really precious, even in the past… Will all the things he told me, I can see he really loved me, then why I can’t remember?

- "Kai… I…".

- "Don’t be afraid; tell me what you want to know. I said I’d tell you everything, and I’m doing it, please trust me, Kyungsoo".

- "Kai… were… were we happy? Were you… happy by my side?".

I can see surprise taking over his face, wasn’t he happy with me? Is that why we ended up separating?

- Kyungsoo, why are you asking that? I… I was immensely happy by your side, I wanted… I wanted to live my whole life with you”

- "Then why did we separate? Why did we stop seeing each other? Why did you go away from me?".

Tears started coming and blurring my vision, but I don’t understand why, it’s just a simple question I’m asking him, why does my heart hurt so much by asking this? These reactions of mine, I don’t understand them. I don’t know why I’m feeling this way. I feel constantly confused…

Kai comes near me, and takes my hands, I feel nervous, all these are feelings that I’m not able to understand. I feel uncomfortable… why?

- "Kyungsoo, I didn’t want to separate from you… but things happened, which let this happen… I couldn’t prevent them to happen… Forgive me, please, forgive me, Kyungsoo…".

I can feel his embrace… his arms wrap me and I feel better, his warmth comforts me…

Kai’s tearful face, hands holding, my parents yelling, again those memories take over my mind as flashbacks, I go tense again. This is weird; I can’t understand this, what’s happening? Maybe I’m starting to remember things, is this my mind’s recovery process?

- "Kyungsoo, are you okay?".

I try to hide my nerves behind my smile.

- "Yes, I’m fine. I want us to keep talking. I know this will help, perhaps not too fast, but if I know everything I lived in the past, maybe I’ll have my memories back, don’t you think so?".

- "Yes, I think so. Please, wait here; I’ll go get something I want to show you".

I see him getting up, and going to the closet. He takes a big box, and from it another smaller box… he stops for a moment, and takes among his hands a little black velvet chest. But some minutes after, saves it back in the bigger box and saves it inside the closet.

- "Kai, what are you saving inside that box? –I got to squint a lot of objects and smaller boxes… curiosity exposed me, I realize and smile, unable to deny my anxiety".

- "It’s not the time for you to see what’s inside that box yet. But I promise you will. Before that, I want you to see this".

He hands over a small box and holds my hands.

- "I’ll make a call, and I’ll leave you with this here. I want you to see this the most calmly you can, and if you get to remember something, call me, okay?".

He gives a last squeeze to my hand, and comes out of the room smiling. Once I’m alone, I open the box slowly, and I see it’s full of photographies, some are mine, some are his. I smile by seeing how old they are, some of them are even from my childhood. I keep checking them, when suddenly, my head starts hurting. In this photo, we’re together; he’s kissing my forehead while I have my eyes closed. Pain gets worse as some images start popping up in my head. Kai and I in that field, hugging, kissing. Please, what is this? I don’t understand, what are these memories? Is this what really happened in the past? Images keep popping up in my head as I try to gather strengths to see the remaining photos. The image of Kai holding the black velvet chest remains in my head. I take my head among my two hands, trying to get the pain away, but it seems not wanting to leave me alone, I remember something, that box, that box Kai saved in the closet. I look at the door which remains closed. This is my chance to see what’s inside that box.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I arrive to the station in a good mood. I think if I work harder, I could get to find out some clues which can lead me to Kyungsoo’s whereabouts, while I go towards my office, I can see Jongdae walking in circles and with a worried expression on his face. This must be bad. Jongdae is a calm person, and if he’s worried, it’s because something really bad is happening.

- Jongdae, what’s wrong? Why are you like this?

His face gets weirder to me, since I can feel his fear by hearing my voice.

- "Jongdae, tell me right now what’s happening!".

- "Junmyeon, it’s just that…"

- "SPIT IT OUT! Say what’s happening!".

- "Officer Zhang snooped around your files, read Kim Jongin’s history, and he also knows you have feelings towards Kyungsoo".

- "WHAT?".

- "And that’s not all… He… He just, went out to get Kim Jongin".

- "And you waited for me to come here to tell me? Why the hell didn’t you call me! Where is he? Tell me where is he, RIGHT NOW!"

This has no limits at all! He snoops around MY investigation, and now he snoops around MY FILES and even in MY PERSONAL LIFE! No, he must be stopped right here and right now!

- "He must still be at the parking; he went out when you came in the station. Junmyeon, please, don’t take this personally, please, understand him, he’s doing his job, he just wants to help".

- "I don’t want to hear anything you want to say, Jongdae! He snook into my private life, and I won’t allow that, I AM the boss in this case, and I’ll make it clear for him!".

I go out from the office, and walk as fast as my legs allow me towards the parking, and looking everywhere trying to find his car. Once I see it, the car started moving, and about to reach the exit. I run again and stand in his way to prevent him from running away. I close my eyes before seeing the car braking a millimeter away from my body.

- "Are you insane? What are you doing in the way of a moving car? HUH?".

- "It was necessary so you stop doing stupid things, Officer Zhang".

- "Stupid things, you say? Am I the one hiding vital information for the investigation? Am I the one wasting my time on clues which lead to nowhere?".

- "This is MY investigation, always was MY investigation, so don’t you put your hands in things that do not concern you. If you don’t like the way we work here, you can get your out by the same place you came by".

- "So, you’re annoyed by my presence, Officer Kim. You’re pissed off because I want to get to the truth. Are you annoyed because I found out that you have feelings towards the victim? Who are you protecting, officer?".

Wrath took over my body, I was trying to keep calm, but he crossed the line and this is unacceptable. I cannot allow anybody to provoke me this way. I walk towards him, and when I’m just centimeters away from his face, I look at his eyes, trying to make him feel all my anger.

- "Don’t mess in my personal life! There are limits, Lay, DON’T TRESSPASS THEM!".

- "Hahaha, Junmyeon! What, are you afraid that they’ll find out you love Do Kyungsoo? Is that your fear?".

Anger blinded my judgement, and without thinking twice, I clench my fist and punch his jaw as hard as I can. I see him falling onto the floor, and rubbing his hands on his mouth trying to wipe the blood on his lips.

- "I caught you, Junmyeon, so that’s why you’re acting that way. I didn’t expect you to confuse the professional business with the personal. You surprise me".

I bring him up from the floor, holding his shirt. Wrath burns inside me and consumes me.

- "Don’t provoke me, L-a-y, do NOT provoke me".

I release him and walk back to my office, he takes me unaware, and punches me. I disestablish but I don’t fall, I growl due to pain.

- "I  won’t be the only one beaten up here. If we’re going to make use of violence, well, let’s use it".

Without wasting even a split second, we grab each other’s clothes and start a real fist fight, we kick and struggle, we fall onto the ground and keep fighting as if there were no tomorrow. If someone’s gonna die, fine, I WON’T BE THE DYING ONE. I’ll defend my job and my honor until the very last second.

- "Over here, over here! Please, help me separating them!". I can barely hear Jongdae’s voice along with rushed steps of the other agents, trying their hardest to separate us Lay and me from this fierce fight. It gets hard for them, we’re pretty strong, and even worse because of the wrath and rage we let out.

- "What the hell do you think you’re doing? Have you gone crazy? HUH!? Junmyeon, what the hell is wrong with you? Officer Zhang!".

Jongdae, confused and offended for our actions stares at us waiting for an answer. Then reality wakes me up and I realize that I just acted in the most childish and nonsense way ever in my life, I just got carried by wrath and anger, but when I’m pushed to these kinds of situations, not even I’m able to predict the way I might react, I’m like  wounded animal looking for its attacker, I won’t stop until I’m done with it.

- "Let’s go inside, I’ll help you wiping your wounds. Sergeant Lee, please give me the first aid box. We need to treat these two nuts’ wounds. Aissh…".

- "Roger that, Officer Kim Jongdae".

 

/////////////////////////////

 

- "I can’t understand it, Junmyeon, what are you thinking? Have you gone crazy?".

- "Aaarrggh, don’t do it so hard, don’t you see I’ve been punched?".

- "I should just let them get infected, or let you kill each other there in the floor. What happened to make you react in that way, Junmyeon? Was it so serious?".

I look away while Jongdae wipes my wounds in my hands, I can’t think straight. I feel really sorry for having to hurt somebody and getting carried away for the anger. But thinking deeper about this, I don’t regret this at all. I defended my honor, my job, Kyungsoo, even if I can’t find him, even if I’m unable to unveil any clue which can lead me to him, I’d do it one and thousand more times.

- "I’ll go get more gauze, don’t you dare to make a step out of this office until I come back, did you hear me?".

- "Okay, okay… yes, yes, I won’t move from here, go and come back quickly, so we can get done with this".

I look at my hands and I can see each one of my knuckles full of wounds and excoriations. It was a tough fight, I didn’t expect Lay to be so strong. It surprised me, the way he dared me, with no fears nor turning backs. I haven’t seen that side of his, I could say I find it interesting. But I won’t play his game, maybe it’s just a trick to get MY job and MY investigation, and I won’t let him.

- "Mmmm, Officer Kim, I want to say something to you".

I turn my head and see the very Zhang Yixing standing in the door of my office, definitely I’m not the only one with a messed up face. Look at him, the fight left some marks in his eyes and chin.

- "What are you doing here? Wasn’t that enough for you?".

- "Junmyeon, I’m sorry…".

WHAT? Did I hear well? He said he’s sorry! Oh, God, this must be a joke! Are you taking me for a fool or what!?

- "Are you taking me for a fool? Now you say you’re sorry!?"

- "I’m sorry. I know I didn’t have to take action without you knowing. It’s just that I don’t see any result, and I can’t stand that. I feel like we’re stuck, walking in circles and going back to where we started without nothing. I did wrong by messing in your stuff, but I didn’t have another choice. I’m sorry".

- "Listen, Lay. I can forgive you for messing in my files, reading my reports, to trespass on my authority, but I won’t let you messing in my private life. I will not allow that".

- "I know… and that’s what I’m sorry for. Please, I want to resume this investigation in good terms. Please, accept my apologies".

I get up and walk towards his bowing self. He was looking at the floor…

- "Get up, we’ll resume the investigation. The other thing… I’ll think about it".

I try to hide a smile by seeing his disappointed face after my answer. I go to the door, and turn around again, to where he is.

- "Lay...".

- "Mmm, yes?".

- "You’re forgiven".

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I smile anxiously as I imagine how Kyungsoo must be amused seeing our photos, I don’t know if I did the right thing by showing them to him, but I think they could help him without getting him too tense.

I text Chanyeol to tell him what I did, and minutes after, I pick his reply:

- Hey, hyung.

- "Are you sure that he was calm when you gave him the photos?".

- "Yes, I’m alright. Thanks for worrying, hyung".

- "Jongin, please don’t be like that, you know that I always worry about you. It’s just that I’m scared about how could Kyungsoo react, I wouldn’t like him to get more damages on his already weakened mind…".

- "Take it easy, I know it was the moment. He was calm, and he still is. I know".

 - "Go check him out and call me again later. Please don’t leave him alone for too long… I have a pretty weird sensation… I’m really worried about you two, Jongin. Let me know if something happens, please".

- "We’ll be okay, Chanyeol. You have nothing to worry about. I’ll call you in the morning, okay? I’ll see how’s Kyungsoo doing. Please rest. Goodbye".

I don’t let him answer and hang the call. I think he’s worrying too much… Kyungsoo will be okay, I’ll be okay, he will get to remember and everything will be like before. I go to my room and open the door, but I don’t see Kyungsoo on the bed, I see the photos all over the floor, and a feeling of fear takes over my body.

- "Kyungsoo?".

I turn my head around and see him in front of my closet with my box of his memories opened, and our engagement rings in his hands. His face exposes surprise, fear, discovery. I go near him and try to take his hands but he walks away and keeps looking at the rings.

- "Kyungsoo, I’m Kai, Kai… what’s wrong? What happened? Please, don’t be afraid, look at me! I’m Kai!".

He looked up at me, and with his eyes full of tears stares at me… I’m afraid, that gaze, that gaze is like before’s… that’s the way he looked at me when we still were together, when we were a couple.

- "I… I remember you… you’re Jongin".

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: here's the chapter 6!  I hope you enjoy it :) I had asked for more drama, so... I hope I have been able to fulfill their orders haha ♥

Thanks sooooo much everyone who subscribed and commented on this fic, already exceeds 1000 views!!! WOW!! you make smile and feel SO happy! because this fic is made for all you who love KaiSoo lovely couple

Thanks so much too for my lovely beta Hebi Akuma!! Love u dongsaeng :3

See you in the chapter 7, Love u all! byebye~~