Part II: The Humans

Sand and Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Kris stands atop a tower; his toes delicately perched on its very tip. He highly resembles a ballerina – those girls and boys in leotards and tutus that many humans strive to be. This kind of balance and elegance takes years of training for humans but not for Amaras and it doesn’t go unnoticed by Kris. In many ways, the rank of Amaras is much higher than humans. They are immortal after all and they control all, besides man-made technology, that humans need to live.

With great power comes great responsibility… or so that’s what the movie he has seen humans watch claim.

It is up to the Amaras to maintain the balance on Earth.

And so as Heechul, the Prathama, controls the light, Kris, the Nāyaka, controls the darkness.

It is through that that humans enjoy night and day.

Such is the natural order of things.

                With a subtle skip of his feet, Kris descends from the top of the tower to a nearby platform beneath. He surveys the darkness that surrounds the city. Many humans are lucky for they have the wealth to have light. In all the years of his existence, he has been around the globe and has seen those who are the opposite. He wants to help them yet he cannot disturb the natural balance of things – the way nature works – and so they continue to live in darkness and cold.  

“What are you doing out here?”

                Her voice is soft and is almost like a whisper but he easily hears her anyway. He doesn’t turn but he feels her every move as she comes to stand by his side, surveying the sight before them. He doesn’t need to say much to her – a beauty of the rarity that is failing in love. Sooyoung lifts her hand and instantly, their surroundings turn warm enough not to cause any unusual imbalance.

Sooyoung controls fire and everything that comes along with it.

“Won’t Suho mind?”

“I spoke to him beforehand.” Sooyoung answers. “He agrees that it’s just too cold lately.”

Kris nods, feeling sympathetic towards the Amara controlling ice and everything that is related to cold. “It’s not easy to work with nature.”

She shakes her head. “No, it isn’t.”

When there is darkness and there is no light in sight, one relies on the next best thing – fire

                It still surprises Kris at times when he remembers how opposite he and Sooyoung are. He is all about the cold, the shadows. What he controls has the ability to bring about sadness and loneliness, even fear. Hers is the opposite. What she controls can give light and warmth – an ability that easily overthrows his. Yet, here they are, destined to spend the eternity together. At times, it is still hard for him to wrap his mind around how they came to be, how they ended up feeling for each other the rarity that is love.

“It bothers me.”

“Hmm..?” Sooyoung cants her head to the side; a sign that she is encouraging him to continue.

“It’s been five years since Sulli and Taemin.” He does not need to elaborate for he knows she understands him. “You know it’s not normal, Prītiya.”

The brunette Amara nods. “I know. It worries me too.”

“Have you spoken to Prathama about it?” He asks.

“He’s worried too. It never took this long and we all know that. Minho is madly in love with Yuri but she still doesn’t feel the same.” An expression that matches her worries crosses her beautiful face. “But Prathama knows that we just have to let things be.

Kris sighs. “Do you think this means something though?”

“I think it does.” She admits; her hand absently reaching for his and their fingers intertwine. “It’s just the matter of wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter