Part I: Amara

Sand and Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Humans think that they’re the only living, breathing, walking creatures on Earth.

How stupid.

                Key smirked at the idea; him being the tall lanky figure standing on the roof of a shopping mall, watching those below him. Humans were easily fascinated by the two opposites – nature and technology. They did their best to understand every phenomenon that happened, attributing them either nature or technology… sometimes even both. To a certain extent, it was correct… but humans didn’t know enough. They didn’t know they – and their animals and plants – aren’t the lone occupants of this world.

They are called the Amaras.

Key is an Amara.

                They are invisible to humans; one fact and trait that Key enjoys immensely as it gives him the freedom to observe – and occasionally laugh at the stupidity – of the humans he shares the world with. But even then, they live with the humans, walk the same roads they walk on, eat the same food they eat, look the same way they look. But no human knows that they exist. They are like ghosts, if you will; invisible to the eyes and non-existent to the touch.

                Humans may look like the Amaras but they do have such dull senses; another trait that makes Key smug. An Amara can see far beyond what humans can, hear much higher or much lower tones, have sharper instincts – the whole package. Key frowns a touch as he sees a woman walking on the pavement below yawn. He wonders what it’s like to sleep. He can’t. No Amara can. Amaras are immortal – forever subject to both day and night.

                His frown deepens as he watches an elder couple pass by. He also wonders how it’s like to grow old. An Amara doesn’t have an age. They start as infants just like any human but their physical features develop until they reach somewhere in what the humans call as their 20s.  Sometimes he wonders what it’s like to die. But most of the time, he cherishes that he’s immortal. He has seen so much since his birth and he wants to see more.

Humans are fascinating, after all.

But despite all the beauty that is being an Amara, there’s not many of them.

In fact, there is only a handful.

                Key snorts. Amaras don’t reproduce at all unlike humans. All they know was they somehow existed on Earth, looking like humans, talking like humans yet they are immortal. That is all they know ever since their eyes opened for the first time. But Amaras do fall in love and it happens – as humans call it – ‘once in a blue moon’. They don’t fall in love the way humans do. It is rare for an Amara to fall in love with another Amara and when that does happen, it is something monumental – something that once it happens, it won’t happen again anytime soon. Marriage does not exist among Amaras and those who are fortunate or unfortunate enough to fall in love co-exist for eternity as partners. An Amara can only have one partner – one immortal to share eternity with.

They may only be a handful… but they control what humans think are completely controlled by nature and technology and that being humans call as God or Buddha or Allah or whatever.

                Key has to hand it to them though. Up to a certain extent, things are controlled by nature and technology and humans make great use of what they have – what with agriculture, video games, and all those terms Key has learned just by observing them. But nature and technology do not act alone and Key is sure that certain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter